Fallout 4

No hardcore mode? That was one of the better additions to the series.

Nope, they even put in a "survival" mode but it's supposedly (from the people who are playing) merely a higher difficulty mode and has no actual "survival" elements like you'd expect from the name.

Food/water aren't "needed" they merely heal you like in fallout 3, no more reason to eat/drink anything when you have healthpacks and crap.

Bums me out, I loved the mode in NV and thought it should have been improved upon in future games.

Nope, they even put in a "survival" mode but it's supposedly (from the people who are playing) merely a higher difficulty mode and has no actual "survival" elements like you'd expect from the name.

Food/water aren't "needed" they merely heal you like in fallout 3, no more reason to eat/drink anything when you have healthpacks and crap.

Bums me out, I loved the mode in NV and thought it should have been improved upon in future games.

On the plus side, modders will add a hardcore mode with that and a lot more.

Modding is one of my favourite parts of PC gaming: community patches. They often make the game much more enjoyable and less SOL moments when it comes to bugs. I have only seriously started using mods in Skyrim and NV, but in both, community patch were always the very first thing I check for, and this will be no exception.

I will however, hold off a little on this game. No pre-order bonuses or discounts, so I want to see some performance reviews before I go off and buy it. Might end up buying it soon after anyway though.

gmg tends to have a 20% off voucher or so that works on it (at least it did a week ago).

I think the thing that gets me with Fallout it's a slow paced RPG First person shoooter usually most mainstream games are First person shooters without the RPG element.
Borderlands is like this but not much RPG just Run and fetch quests.

My kick out of Fallouts are:

1) Backstory, you are given a very vague backstory at the beginning of the game (EG great war happened in 2077 and most things died), and you are left in your own device to interact with NPC's and other things in order to get a better grip on backstory. However lately I am starting to find that the back story of Fallout universe are starting to become detached from the foreground story (mostly due to the time scale involved, EG FO3 is set 200 years after the war), so this part is starting to lose its appeal, at least in comparison to other games I have played recently like Shadowrun and KOTOR

2) The consequences of your actions. Personally this is my favourite part: to see the world around you change due to your actions, perhaps not immediately, but at least in a way that is reflected upon. There are times however, I feel there should be a bit more gray areas (such as the original Junktown backstory, where the helping the good guys ended up being a bad thing for the town, and vice versa). FO3 was a little more disappointing in this part, and the quests feel a lot more detached from each other (EG I don't think I would ever have found Republic of Dave if there wasn't a Bobblehead there).

2015-11-02_00003.jpg

nooo he look so sad and skinny! poor baby! he needs a owner to spoil and feed him asap!

he may also need a mod to turn him into a healthy and strong war dog, grrr!

Quick question: is the dog companion compulsary, or is there a way to either ditch or replace the canine?

I am not a fan of using dogs for anything, as I have caninephobia.

Quick question: is the dog companion compulsary, or is there a way to either ditch or replace the canine?

on fallout 3 you could choose to have him as a companion, as he was all by himself abandoned on a junk yard :(

I wanted to play through FO3 again (likely the last time) and possibly New Vegas before release but I still haven't started yet.

Since the above screen shot shows a dismiss option, like the previous games, I'd assume he isn't mandatory.

But I'm the opposite, hopefully this game can fulfill my desire of having a pet dog :p (not practical currently for me in real life).

The thing I hope is they have some accommodation for companion "death." This is one the things I adjust when modding tools are available as the friendly AI in games (in general) really lacks self preservation.

Last edited:
mods that i want: a black hanekawa pajama with matching cat ears headband and a barrett .416 suppressed :p

Considering pre-order... but afraid of ever pre-ordering again... 59.99 on Arkham Knight...

i didnt pre-ordered because im waiting to be fully patched before getting into it, texture mods are also a must in fallout games, i want to enjoy it to the max :)

I'll be a happy camper once graphics mods arrive on the scene. The table in one of the vids looks like they took a stock asset from FO3 and used it in FO4 which, to me, is really disappointing. Regardless, I'll play the game like a madman day one despite the graphics quality.

Looks like I'm the only one who is actually chomping at the bit to get my hands on this.

1. Dialogue - I love how it's changed, I always eventually get bored reading all that text and would often just go back and say everything as to make sure not to miss anything. This new system doesn't seem to allow that, so in this case, you have one chance to say what you're gonna say and that's it.

2. Graphics - Blah blah blah, most annoying thing I keep reading about on here and reddit. No one has REALLY EVEN SEEN IT and from what I've seen it looks like a worthy successor. Animations may be a little odd, maybe some washed out textures, but mod this mod that yada yada. The lighting looks particularly nice IMO.

3. No hardcore mode - Eh I guess this would have been an easy thing to include in the vanilla. Should be there.

Looks like I'm the only one who is actually chomping at the bit to get my hands on this.

Hardly but the one thing gamers are good at is whining and the negative Nancy's tend to be much more vocal, especially before the launch of a game when there is limited info ... I am looking forward to the game and remain very optimistic on this being a big time sink of a game, just like the previous versions ... can't wait for next week

PC screenies look fine...lots of low res textures but they improved the lighting and color palette...looks better then any of the previous Fallout games...it's no reference graphics showcase but that would have just been a nice bonus...the gameplay and exploration is what makes Fallout great

I think most of the people who are complaining about the dialogue are people who skip through all the 'talking' parts anyway...I love exploring, dialogue and cut-scenes in every game I play and never skip them

Seeing the UI in action with a controller has me worried this will be another bethsoft UI-crapfest like Skyrim for righteous PC peoples, but I remember FO3 being passable.

Anyone think Nvidia will do a promo for this game. Free with purchase of Nvidia Graphics card?

PC Ultra graphics seem...passable. I'm not impressed but I'm not disgusted, either. :p

HD texture mods hopefully release soon after.

I wonder if this will run properly at high refresh rates or if FPS will have to be capped like Skyrim, Fallout 3 etc

Anyone think Nvidia will do a promo for this game. Free with purchase of Nvidia Graphics card?

I think Bethesda would fleece any game deal of this type REALLY HARD, since the anticipated sales through normal channels are sure to be high. Even Nvidia would probably balk at the cost.

I wonder if this will run properly at high refresh rates or if FPS will have to be capped like Skyrim, Fallout 3 etc

I would definitely love to see this run at 100fps+. From time to time I'd actually prefer a higher frame rate with lower graphics settings.

We can at least guarantee not to be stuck at 30fps like ps4 users. Not sure about the x bone but if ps4 runs at 30 the x bone probably does too.

I would definitely love to see this run at 100fps+. From time to time I'd actually prefer a higher frame rate with lower graphics settings.

We can at least guarantee not to be stuck at 30fps like ps4 users. Not sure about the x bone but if ps4 runs at 30 the x bone probably does too.

Both consoles are 1080/30. They've said there is no resolution or FPS caps on the PC version, but we'll see if it works at super high refresh rates.

1. Dialogue - I love how it's changed, I always eventually get bored reading all that text and would often just go back and say everything as to make sure not to miss anything. This new system doesn't seem to allow that, so in this case, you have one chance to say what you're gonna say and that's it.
Is reading still an option? I'd really hate if I have to sit through hundreds of hours of spoken dialog on top of the hundred hours playing the game...

You do not have to use ANY companions at all, there's even a perk for going it on your own called "Lone Wanderer."

Back