Fallout 4

I don't really care for the UI...the blocky blue stuff just looks weird, almost like someone copy and pasted it onto the screen.

Did you play Fallout 3 or NV? Was same type bars but dark yellow or green. 99% sure you'll be able to disable it, just like you were in previous games. And in all likelihood there will be mods once again to move/change their appearance.

how are people posting those PS4 screenies?...is it available in other parts of the world?

The main issue, that REALLY makes the game look outdated is the lack of dynamic shaidows for objects. This makes scenes with objects in the foreground look really really dated since most modern games have dynamic shadows for everything.

Because you're used to knowing how shadows work and when you see pics without dynamic shadows it's easy to think "something doesn't look right."

the uncompressed PS4 screenshots I've seen look much better...it's no Crysis 3 but much better then the compressed screenies that are flooding the interweb...the colors really stand out and pop off the screen

People will complain about everything. Omg FO4 doesn't look as good as crysis did when it released. So friggin what, since when has fallout ever been about the best graphics possible? NEVER.

I think the game looks good, a hell of a lot better then fo3 when it released. At least there is some kind of color in the game this time.

I'll be a happy camper when I get it release day and play it on my 60 inch 1080p led TV on my ps4, regardless of how bad the internet thinks the graphics are.

Some impressions from someone who has an early copy,

The game, even tough not so revolutionary, it doesn't look like in the captures but better. The game world looks better than great, and the illumination is one of the best I've seen. It is true that it suffered some framedrops but, there is also much more on screen.

- DIFFICULTY: Very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard, SURVIVAL. They change damage, resistance of enemies and appearing rate of legendary enemies. Legendary enemies are harder and they have a chance of dropping a legendary item with unique characteristics like better critic chance or that refills AP when doing a critic.

- HUD color will be customizable by RGB sliders.

- Minigames for unlocking doors and terminals are exactly the same as in Fallout 3.

- About the size of the map, is hard to tell a size because it's quite small on the pip-boy but it doesn't seem small at all, there is a lot to find on it. Probably Skyrim's size more or less?

- COMBAT: WAY better. It is no COD but the FPS sensations are amazing, you notice every impact, the weapons recess, different characteristics between them etc makes it wonderful. There was a lot of place from Fallout 3 to improve so I was doubtful about what would they do, but you all can be calm about it. Also, enemy AI, without being super evolved or anything, it's way better. Enemies hide, get cover a lot, they go for you when you have little health or you're reloading (He's playing in hard mode). He says VATS it's completely not essential.

- Animations are flawless. People's faces, even tough there are some similar (particularly raiders) there are a lot, and way different ones from each other.

- He didn't like at all the dialogue system, and in 23 hours he's played almost no mission he was able to get out of just by dialogue. Although there was some "X person approved" like in Dragon Age/Mass Effect, there is no visible karma system, and that takes a lot of attractive to the diplomatic side of the game. He checked statics and he didn't see either nothing about reputations like in NV. He thinks it will probably work like in Skyrim and Oblivion.

- SETTLEMENTS: A very important pillar on the game. Some will love it, some will hate it. He thinks that, even tough he likes this kind of "microgestion"aspects from RPGS he thinks Fallout's it's a little bit harder and deep than he likes. They give sooo many options about it, and missions, and objectives that he think they take out weight from the rest of the game. ABOUT HOW THEY WORK: There are a ton lot of red workshop tables all over the world, some free and other ones occupied. Once you get to them (if the people occupying it are good people you'll have to do the typical mission to help them etc) you can do all that was seen on the demo, destroy everything, and build. You'll have to maintain the little, or bunch of humans on it with food, water, energy and beds. When they're attacked you'll receive a message and have the option to go help. It is very complete and you can invest a lot of hours making it really cute, have there your base with all your people etc, but he thinks it might be a little bit overexploited.

- WEAPONS: More about them, he has only seen like 12-15 base weapons yet, but he says that the weapons mods is crazy. Every weapon can easily have 25-30 different pieces that alter sadistics.

- LOADING TIMES: There are a lot of little houses that doesn't need a loading screen, but big buildings normally do. Loadings between buildings are normally really short, being fast travel loading longer.

-POWER ARMORS: Used almost like a vehicle. You get inside, you use it, you get out of it and it stays on that place. It gives them a more OP feel, but it is also way less "comfortable" to use.

-NARRATIVE: He says it starts a little bit weak, and it takes a little to get it up and running. In his almost a day of playing has only completed 4 history missions because they're pretty long and full of things to do. Even tough, he thinks the way the story is going can be very interesting.

Good to see survival difficulty mode.

Some impressions from someone who has an early copy

sounds good for the most part...Legendary Enemies?...has this turned into a loot dropping game?...no karma or reputation system is a downer...I wonder how many discoverable locations will be in the game...Fallout 3 had 163 (without any of the DLC)

sounds good for the most part...Legendary Enemies?...has this turned into a loot dropping game?...no karma or reputation system is a downer...I wonder how many discoverable locations will be in the game...Fallout 3 had 163 (without any of the DLC)

I imagine we'll get quarterly DLC once they start rolling it out, as far as zones go, I'm going to guess more.

Never thought I would pre-order another game.

Steam, decided to offer the Fallout 4 announcer pack for Dota 2 for those who pre-ordered, and that sold me. Why do those evil demons always figure out how to raid my wallet.

From what I have seen about the graphics, there will be welcomed improvements over the previous titles. There are rumored Gameworks features in the game, hope that isn't true. I hate vendor specific games.

More importantly now that I preordered the game the game will be a buggy, crashing disaster for the first week or so. People will point fingers at AMD, and Nvidia,and then of course the developer. One of the reasons I stopped pre ordering games. Oh, but you know that announcer pack for dota 2 BLAH!!!! i had to have it :-D

Don't all the editions come with the Perks Poster? ... Regardless I also have an Amazon preorder of the game and guide so lots of extra goodies :cool:

I don't think the digital versions come with a digital version of the poster...I think most people nowadays order digitally so they'll miss out on the poster...I usually do as well but since I had some Amazon credit built up I went that route

I don't think the digital versions come with a digital version of the poster...I think most people nowadays order digitally so they'll miss out on the poster...I usually do as well but since I had some Amazon credit built up I went that route

Ah ... makes sense ... I was keying off the Amazon part and not the physical part ... I have the PIPBoy edition on order for myself but will be buying the Steam digital one for my oldest boy so I will find out if he gets the poster or not digitally

Sign me up! It's precisely the loot drops that keeps me playing Borderlands religiously. I see the potential in having unique named weapons with unique capabilities as a cool new twist, and I highly doubt that BSG turned this into a "grinding for legendaries" game that overshadows crafted weapons.

But like all these sketchy details leaked and then translated from some broken english dude, let's see for ourselves before taking twice-removed word as gospel. That said, I'm really relieved if what I'm hearing turns out to be true - that the base/settlement building is part of your main game playthrough, rather than some isolated side-minigame.

Last edited:
Sign me up! It's precisely the loot drops that keeps me playing Borderlands religiously. I see the potential in having unique named weapons with unique capabilities as a good twist.

But like all these early detail leaks, let's wait and see for ourselves before taking the translated word of some broken english dude as gospel.

My thoughts exactly. I love me some unique 'boss' fights

Day 1 purchase for me (no preorders though) because this is the only game of its type on the market and these games always tend to age very well on PC as the modding community is one of the best around.

I found the Karma system to be ambiguous so I'm cool with that not being in there.

The terminal minigame I always found annoying so not super thrilled about that making a comeback.

Also it appears weapon repairing is gone? That's cool IMO...I found that annoying to keep up with as well. Also hope the ammo crafting from NV is either gone or totally revamped, because it felt really pointless in NV.

terminal thing always seemed rather dull / pointless in that you can just save before each one and as long as you have the skill to attempt it you just F5 / F9 to quick save / load until you crack it.

So far on this play through of fallout new vegas ive only broken one bobbypin out of the countless locks ive picked.

I see a lot of the (very few) people who are talking about it after having played it saying that their main disappointment is the dialogue system, however they dont' really say why.

It seems like some of them dislike that they've changed it to be similar to mass effect in the sense that the options you choice from are no longer the "exactly" what you will say, but rather summaries, and then what your character actually says (since they are voiced now and not silent like in the previous games) is something different then exactly what the option you choose.

I for one think it's good that way, because it kind of takes away the suspense/surprise when you read the "exact line" and then you have to listen to the same line right over again but voiced, that's exactly why Bioware and other games do it that way.

So gameplay starting to get out there.

Dat animation quality:
Ip0jqHQ.gif

That's my biggest pet peeve of Bethseda games in general. It's been that way since like Morrowind.

They aren't an indie studio, they have a huge AAA Budget and also they boasted years ago about getting a new motion capture studio. So......why can't they actually make use of it and have good fluid animations?

I mean, just look at that gif, it literally looks like something you'd see in one of those "assest flipper" steam greenlight games with a shoestring budget and no real profressional animator working on it. So robotic and stiff.

Maybe they should have naughty dog give them some pointers or show them how you use a mocap studio.

The animation looks a hell of a lot better than those Unity asset flip games. Bethesda does seriously need a new...Well new everything from top to bottom. Gamebryo and everything tied to it has long since worn out it's welcome.

So gameplay starting to get out there.

Dat animation quality:
Ip0jqHQ.gif

That's my biggest pet peeve of Bethseda games in general. It's been that way since like Morrowind.

They aren't an indie studio, they have a huge AAA Budget and also they boasted years ago about getting a new motion capture studio. So......why can't they actually make use of it and have good fluid animations?

I mean, just look at that gif, it literally looks like something you'd see in one of those "assest flipper" steam greenlight games with a shoestring budget and no real profressional animator working on it. So robotic and stiff.

Maybe they should have naughty dog give them some pointers or show them how you use a mocap studio.

I 1/2 agree. The problem with MoCap is that it makes REALLY GOOD looking animations for single activities, like walking, talking, etc, but blending them together? Really difficult to do. Blending someone talking while turning to follow the player is REALLY hard to do convincingly: It CAN be done, and many engine support additive and lerp animation blending, but the math to implement it into an engine that doesn't have those features is mind-boggling.

Cool, so it appears you can sprint by using up AP. That was a mod for NV and I really liked it. Not being able to sprint in an open-world game where you are on foot for 99% of it really sucked balls.

EDIT: Looks like they still have the lockpicking be artificially walled off by skill level...kind of annoying, I liked in Skyrim how you could attempt to pick any lock, it was just extremely difficult (but not impossible!) at Master level. I can see why they do it, because otherwise there is no reason to put effort into lockpicking perks, but it still feels lame.

Last edited:
What difficulty is everyone going to start with? I'll probably start at Survival Hard or Survival Very Hard depending on how balanced it is.

So with amour and weapon durability gone can you no longer shoot the weapons out of their hands? If you can't, that's lame as hell.

So there's no more hardcore mode? :(, I loved that about New Vegas.

Actually having to find water and rest made the post apocalyptic wasteland......feel like a wasteland.

Hopefully that's something the modders will get out asap once the modding tools are out.

I hope survival is the new Hardcore mode, not sure if it's a unique difficulty level or you have to choose survival + a difficulty level.

I hope survival is the new Hardcore mode, not sure if it's a unique difficulty level or you have to choose survival + a difficulty level.

Nope, it's been confirmed there's no hardcore type mode that has a need for water/food/rest.

Survival is merely a harder difficulty with enemies having more dmg/health and crap.

that settles my plan how to play my character, mister sandman + gun-fu with a silenced pistol sounds fun, silenced head shots in vats and chain them together to wipe out a room....

If difficulty levels follows the past games then all it'll end doing scaling damage modifiers, player/enemy, and end up having certain fights take forever as the damage scaling isn't balanced around that. Try searching about Skyrim and legendary dragon fights, it was even worse if you were magic based (as smithing and physical weapons had much higher damage scaling).

Back