Fallout 4 Recommends an AMD RX 490 for High Resolution Texture Pack

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Jan 30, 2017.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Fallout 4 is getting a new high resolution texture pack and PS4 Pro support. The texture pack weighs in as an additional whopping 58GB download to the base game! I feel sorry for those with metered internet or small SSD drives!

But the real story isn't the texture pack or the 1440p PS4 Pro support. The REAL story is that an AMD RX 490 8GB card is on the suggested card list! The same mystery card that I discovered on Sapphire's website long ago. How can there be this many gaffes without hardware existing on some engineer's desk. An I7-5820K is very steep for recommendations also.

Recommended PC Specs
    Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
    Intel Core i7-5820K or better
    GTX 1080 8GB/AMD Radeon RX 490 8GB
    8GB+ Ram

Worth mentioning is that Fallout 4 is for sale today on Amazon for $20.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  2. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

This better bring the image quality up to what it should have been when FO4 released...but 58GB?!?!

Armenius, xX326Xx and {NG}Fidel like this.
  3. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

The real story is I can't wait for the VR version of FO4. Woot!

Armenius and RogueTadhg like this.
  4. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

5. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Sure glad I picked up that 1TB SSD a few months ago...

Kwaz, Armenius and {NG}Fidel like this.
  6. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

RX 490? I've not even see a non-shady benchmark of this card yet.
    What is the change they mean a Rx480?

7. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

No, the 5820k is not very steep. It's only $299 at Microcenter or a little above $300 at other places. A good x99 board, DDR4 memory ( remember to buy 4 x 4 dimms for quad channel ) is no more expensive than a new Kaby Lake build.

8. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Check out the front page post. There has been rumors of a RX 490 since the original Polaris launch.

harmattan and DejaWiz like this.
  9. buzzbomb

buzzbomb Gawd

I don't think "steep" was meant as price...how many current games recommend a 6C/12T CPU?

d8lock, Armenius, {NG}Fidel and 3 others like this.
  10. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I thought the image quality was quite fantastic in the original release. Question is, with this texture pack, will I still be able to run it in 4k with a single Pascal Titan?

11. Zarathustra[H]

So, I'm curious. What is a 490? A single board with two 480 GPU's on it, like the xx90 moniker has been used in the past, or something new all together?

12. DejaWiz

Start saving up your pennies and nickels for a 2nd one!

13. buzzbomb

buzzbomb Gawd

Maybe a rebrand to move old stock of Pro Duo cards that didn't sell?

14. Zarathustra[H]

Nah, I'm done with SLI/Crossfire. Too much trouble to make it worth it, IMHO. When I'm ready to spend my pennies, it will be on the next top end single GPU card.

NukeDukem, Kwaz, DocSavage and 7 others like this.
  15. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

490 has been removed from specs.

16. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

Finally something for those 2 Pascal Titan's I bought to chew on. ;)

Cant wait to see this in action, and I've been thinking of a full FO4 replay too so the timing is great.

17. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

That high resolution pack needs to be a lot better than the one they did for RAGE -- and I mean a LOT better (that one was a ton of gigs for very little improvement, due to the inherent failings of megatexturing).

Armenius likes this.
  18. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

Isn't AMD busy renaming Polaris to the 500 series. So it would be...590. Assuming its not just a typo.

But the specs listed is as usual something that looks like a roll with a dice.

Its also changed on the site now.
    Recommended PC Specs
    Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
    Intel Core i7-5820K or better
    GTX 1080 8GB
    8GB+ Ram

19. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

lol 5820k.
    At least clocked 6700Ks should have enough oomph, assuming there really is a need for that much.

20. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

It's a limited FO4. I've seen the reviews of it.

But man, it requires a 1080 minimal? Phew.

21. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Yeah, redonkulous, wonder if my lowly 970 1080p will see any benefit.

22. DejaWiz

Don't blame ya...I'm sticking to a single high-end GPU from now on, after I've been through numerous mGPU configs over the years (most recent being a 780 3GB SLI, prior to my current config).

23. grifter_66

grifter_66 Gawd

I'm willing to bet these textures will still look worse than the ones created by various modders during the first 6 months of the games life.

d8lock, Kwaz and Armenius like this.
  24. ole-m

ole-m Limp Gawd

970 sucks horsecock at 1080P from the get-go.
    never been so bummed when buying a graphics card, I hate it.
    the 980 is sooo much better cause it have usable 4gb. the 3.5 gb is a big bottleneck, once hit you won't see a frame a minute.

Maybe not that bad, but I dislike it a lot, it feels very dated as opposed to non -ti 980's or amd 290x\390 cards when you get to actual texture usage and newer games where it suddenly falls on it's face.

I probably shudn't blame nvidia much for it, as GTA5 runs exceptionally well but other games look rubbish and struggle.
    as in devs are lazy. :^)

25. Zarathustra[H]

That $20 price for Fallout 4 on Amazon is pretty awesome.

26. bigdogchris

They could have "consoled" it and made something from 3 years ago.

27. SiSiX

SiSiX n00b

The 490 runs on pixie dust and unicorn farts and now not only accelerates your video, but also washes your windows, cooks your dinner, and tucks you into bed at night and reads you a story :)

28. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

A texture pac that only 7 people could benefit from, good use of resources.

29. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

This is awesome. I thought that the graphics in Fallout 4 were great, from an atmospheric / post processing standpoint, but the texture quality was noticeably lacking.

Armenius, Krab, arestavo and 3 others like this.
  30. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I know I'm in the minority here but I think Bethesda games are comepelet garbage. I can respect them for still supporting a game long after release tho.

Armenius and Abby Normal like this.
  31. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

This is true. There's a lot of mods out there that increase the textures - water, ground, etc. They don't require a 1080 to run.

Well, it is coming out for the PS4Pro as well. I'm wondering what the true difference would be versus a compilation of HD mods for FO4.

tungt88 likes this.
  32. bigdogchris

For 50 some GB it better be 4k.

Armenius and {NG}Fidel like this.
  33. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

I only ever saw a "less compressed" pack from them, not a higher res one... unless it was more recent and it flew under the radar?

34. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

I figure they might have a number of graphical options -- with 4K recommended for GTX 1070/1080+ levels (at least for PC).

As it is, in some parts of Boston, I get big FPS drops (admittedly w/a good number of mods).

35. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

Not CPU performance related?

36. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm not trying to sound like I'm calling you out here, but at 1080p are we sure 3.5GB of VRam is a bottleneck? I don't really recall what FO4 was consuming for me at 1080p on my R9 390 8GB, at ~High detail (some settings higher, some settings lower), because after I determined that the reason my frame rates were so low was due to my A8-3850 CPU, I opted to turn on AMD's VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) and run FO4 at 4K and downsampled back to 1080p in order to help with the fact that Bethesda made a dick-move by removing MSAA.

Anyways, I've often left GPUz running and checked back at the VRam usage, only to see it consuming 3,800-4200MB of the 8GB available to it. I've also done everything I can to the INI in an effort to maximize not just VRam usage but SYSTEM RAM usage as well (it usually only consumes about 3GB). I wanted to try and get it to perform like it did in the original E3 demo where they made it a point to say "Exterior/Interior will remain cached in order to provide you with almost instant loading after you've gone into a building and exit back to the wasteland", which frankly, I've never noticed happen. But yea, I do seem to now recall complaining to a friend back when I still was at 1080p, that FO4 was only using like 2.5GB of VRam, and IMO that falls in line with my ~4GB usage at 4K... Which yes, I still have GodRays, TAA, etc turned on. The main thing I have turned down is Shadows since in Bethesda's infinite wisdom, decided to offload to the CPU on PCs. Sure, I understand the consoles lack the GPU power and have 7 CPU cores to play with, but c'mon! :( heh

(I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I have the Texture Quality set to Ultra.)

Deadly Ramon likes this.
  37. /usr/sbin

/usr/sbin Successfully Trolled by Megalith

FO4 sucked. No level of graphics will ever compensate for it's shit dialogue system and lack of impact from player choice.

Krenum and Deadly Ramon like this.
  38. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

58GB? Holy shit... my body is ready but my SSD is not!

cageymaru likes this.
  39. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

Not sure -- it's been a couple of months since I last played Fallout 4, so I don't remember if it was a CPU-centric game in terms of performance (usually my x5670 @ 4.2 is good enough for most games). I seem to recall that the framerates still took a pretty big hit in the downtown Boston area without mods, just not as big of a drop.

The only game that I regularly play that is extremely CPU-centric is Mechwarrior Online (I use it as "sort of" an unofficial benchmark for that reason, as it's also, for some reason, extremely sensitive to GPU overclocks, both core and memory).

40. Kor

Kor 2[H]4U

Maybe rather than recommending a 5820K they could oh I dunno... fix their fucking renderer so it doesn't issue 40 bajillion batches when drawing shadows.