Epic Games Store

Here's the fun I am having with EGS right now (was trying to log in to check the latest free games)

-Says PW saved in LastPass is wrong
-Go to reset PW to the saved one, can't reset to that because it's a "previously used password"
-Reset it to something completely different, asks me to verify via email (2FA because there were attempted hacks on my account almost immediately after I signed up a little while back)
-Email never shows up, no option to resend code

Pure garbage.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Here's the fun I am having with EGS right now (was trying to log in to check the latest free games)

-Go to reset PW to the saved one, can't reset to that because it's a "previously used password"
-Reset it to something completely different, asks me to verify via email (2FA because there were attempted hacks on my account almost immediately after I signed up a little while back)

Pure garbage.

People (myself included) complain about all the shovelware on Steam, but at least myself and extended friend-circle have never had a single account security/hacking issue.
Seems like it's the exception on Steam and the norm with Epic's garbage :shrug:.

Never or not instantly?

Steam verification E-mails after a new windows install/different PC install can take over an hour to arrive for me, no idea about EGS.

Sort of off the subject, but anyway......
It's pretty easy on Steam to direct the launcher to where your games are stored.......for example, Steam client is on C drive and the games library is stored on another drive.

I recently upgraded my C drive to a bigger SSD, and installed W10. So my games are still on a separate HDD. ( I only have one EPIC game.....Metro Exodus)

I looked around and found this crazy method of pointing the client to another drive, but it's crazy complicated and didn't work for me.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Sort of off the subject, but anyway......
It's pretty easy on Steam to direct the launcher to where your games are stored.......for example, Steam client is on C drive and the games library is stored on another drive.

I recently upgraded my C drive to a bigger SSD, and installed W10. So my games are still on a separate HDD. ( I only have one EPIC game.....Metro Exodus)

I looked around and found this crazy method of pointing the client to another drive, but it's crazy complicated and didn't work for me.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Can you go NVME? Get at least a 1Tb NVME as a C drive, install your OS and games there. Easy peasy.

Pure garbage.
I never even got the registration email from EGS.

Can you go NVME? Get at least a 1Tb NVME as a C drive, install your OS and games there. Easy peasy.

That would be nice, and I could do that, but I already did what I did......
so I'm looking for an easier way to direct the launcher.

Maybe "easy peasy" for right now, but I know I also have kept my games on my secondary hard disk. That way, if i want to do a full wipe of the OS, I do not have to go reinstall (and likely re-download) all of my games and copy across my music/etc.

Never or not instantly?

Steam verification E-mails after a new windows install/different PC install can take over an hour to arrive for me, no idea about EGS.

It did eventually show up, but we're talking WAY later. Never had that problem with Steam. I had to go completely out and back in to have it resend the code, which also took forever.

With Steam I can just use Steam Guard and not have to deal with that.

It did eventually show up, but we're talking WAY later. Never had that problem with Steam. I had to go completely out and back in to have it resend the code, which also took forever.

With Steam I can just use Steam Guard and not have to deal with that.

I've had some delays with Steam. The whole verification scheme with Steam was utter shit about 1 year ago to the point I was getting fed up of using it. Then they started to fix it thankfully and now no longer require you to grab your phone each time you want to put a card up on the community market. I tried the Blizzard thing and the emails took about a day. Tried to set up their client recently for some free game and that was utter shit. Good news is I didn't get to the client because their registration didn't work, I asked them to remove my email. Uplay used to be utterly atrocious but works okay now. I've had one hack attempt on Steam and Epic but both were blocked. My Epic account pre-dates Fortnite though and I never bothered with the EGS client.

I've had the least issues with Origin and they had online chat customer support (or did) which was great. I still prefer Steam even if the downloads are slow (those pauses Valve, why?!). :p

Maybe "easy peasy" for right now, but I know I also have kept my games on my secondary hard disk. That way, if i want to do a full wipe of the OS, I do not have to go reinstall (and likely re-download) all of my games and copy across my music/etc.

I agree.
That's why I do what I do as well.
There is no real evidence an SSD will improve gaming other than a miniscule reduction in load times. So storing games and other such data on plain old HDD
is way cheaper (for now) and much less complicated when it comes to fussing with the OS.

I'd still like to see an easier fix for redirecting the EPIC launcher to my game drive. It's so easy in Steam.

Three times this past month,my account and my wife's password on her accounts have both been refused as wrong. Both are written down on our fridge and emailed to each other.

Have kinda given up on EGS. Steam is great,with an army of excellent features,all stuff Tim Sweeney could care less about implementing. Him being overly arrogant,and in bed with 10cent and the communist Chinese really turns me off.

I got an e-mail today from GMG that Borderlands 3 is available for pre-order, and it shows the DRM as EGS.

Does this mean we can stop whining that EGS exclusives are only available for purchase directly through them and accept that the world isn't going to crumble because of their supposed monopoly and price fixing?

I got an e-mail today from GMG that Borderlands 3 is available for pre-order, and it shows the DRM as EGS.

Does this mean we can stop whining that EGS exclusives are only available for purchase directly through them and accept that the world isn't going to crumble because of their supposed monopoly and price fixing?

That does sound promising.

I posted that in the BL3/EGS thread in the news section. Maybe it deserves it own thread. But honestly it won't change many peoples minds because the goal posts will keep being moved. Eventually it will blow over much like Origin did though.

You can disable that in settings. It should be under connections. Disable pause downloads during gameplay.

Steam randomly pauses downloads. It has been like that for years. If I download a 10GB update it may download 3.7GB, then pause for a few minutes, then continue again. I'm not playing another game when I'm downloading a game, it will just pause and resume eventually.

Back when Origin was the rage topic of the year I used to comment on how amazingly fast the download speeds and consistency was compared to Steam.

I agree.
There is no real evidence an SSD will improve gaming other than a miniscule reduction in load times. So storing games and other such data on plain old HDD
is way cheaper (for now) and much less complicated when it comes to fussing with the OS.

I'd still like to see an easier fix for redirecting the EPIC launcher to my game drive. It's so easy in Steam.
With SSDs getting as cheap as they are, I now have SSDs for my secondary hard drive as well.

With SSDs getting as cheap as they are, I now have SSDs for my secondary hard drive as well.

I agree.
The prices are really dropping at this point, excepting the big capacity HDD.
I don't think I'll have all SSD system until I do a new build.

I agree.

Not really true. It helped greatly with BF4 loading and that is an old game. It also helps a good bit with games like ArmA 3 and DCS. To top it all off, even with my WD black drives I used to get small stutters when the drives got filled up or a bit older. With an SSD this never happens.

SSDs have been a benefit for gaming for a long time now. I wouldn't run a game off an HDD.

Isn't that like Blackmail really is a shame its come down to this. Most people I think question the longitivity of the Epic store.

Tim Sweeney: “If Valve commits to a permanent 88% revenue share, we’ll stop making new exclusive deals”

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/tim-...-revenue-share-well-stop-all-exclusive-deals/

I doubt Gaben will take the bait since they are doing just fine. Many gamers will just wait for the exclusivity window to end or pirate.

I also don't believe that corporate mouthpiece for a second. None of these CEOs are really out there trying to do things for the good of the consumer, it's all about pleasing the shareholders.

Games with large textures to load and enormous sound files greatly benefit from SSD's/M2. Games like Fallout, GTA and FarCry as examples. Plus SSD's consume less power and generate less heat while being silent. In a "gaming" computer I see no reason to run any rotaries except if you're the type of gamer that likes to have 2+TB of games installed at all times. Then its still cost prohibited if money is an issue.

The entire game publishing industry is appearing to be more and more a scam upon developers. To think that if someone hosts a webpage and some files, and for that they get a 30% cut of your gross take, that is ludicrous. What other industry can you get 30% gross of all moneys for doing virtually nothing? For that reason the 12% is exceedingly fair. In todays game industry where companies continually fail are bought and shut down, it is a no-brainer to use epic especially if they guarantee money up front.

I also don't believe that corporate mouthpiece for a second. None of these CEOs are really out there trying to do things for the good of the consumer, it's all about pleasing the shareholders.

Maybe but Epic's core business is built off of developers. A lower fee from selling on Steam would help smaller/mid size studios stay afloat. It would also help someone like Ubisoft, but a few million here and there isn't as big of a deal to a huge publisher like that. If more independent studios can stay afloat that means more developers using UE4. A lot of the bigger publishers use in house engines as well (Square Enix, EA, Ubisoft) so this move would certainly help Epic. If anything, Unreal is catering more to smaller studios these days.

So from both an ideological and business perspective it does checkout.

The entire game publishing industry is appearing to be more and more a scam upon developers. To think that if someone hosts a webpage and some files, and for that they get a 30% cut of your gross take, that is ludicrous. What other industry can you get 30% gross of all moneys for doing virtually nothing? For that reason the 12% is exceedingly fair. In todays game industry where companies continually fail are bought and shut down, it is a no-brainer to use epic especially if they guarantee money up front.

Steam is more than just a downloader though. It hosts mods and offers a lot of marketing statistics to help developers price their games and run sales. Epic mentions their margins are slim, maybe 3-4% at 12%. Once EGS expands more I can easily see that margin dropping. I can see 30% being too high but perhaps a flat 20% would be doable. Valve having some reserves would be a good thing because they'd have more money to put towards an issue should one arise down the road. I would have said they could raise fees by a percent if a developer tacks on a feature like mod hosting (there is little need for it if your game can't be modded) but again that would be another reason for publishers to avoid making games moddable. So I think staying with a flat rate for all the features would be ideal.

Valve has been a huge cash printing machine the past few years. gaben is probably a multiple billionaire but nobody knows since they are privately held. they make so much money that probably the idea of putting effort into making HL3 is a non-starter because of the effort required vs potential rewards. People have always wanted competition for steam but I suspect what they actually wanted was competition to get lower game prices vs competition where developers don't get gouged as much.

The 30% cut is a relic from brick and mortar retail store costs. It's only being carried on in online stores because of monopoly like environments such as the apple app store, google play store, Steam, etc. They make ridiculous amounts of money with almost no costs and can take such high margins because they're essentially the only place people buy that software.

It's a complete shit deal for developers.

The 30% number is also not the full story, past certain sales thresholds the percentage changes to 25% and then finally 20% on Steam.

The 30% number is also not the full story, past certain sales thresholds the percentage changes to 25% and then finally 20% on Steam.

Yes, the rates the big developers that threaten to sell on their own store get.

I'm all for competition, really. I just wish EGS actually had something to offer that was based on merit, not holding titles for ransom. Seems to me that EGS leaves a lot to be desired feature wise. I saw where a newer racing game doesn't even have leaderboards because it's on EGS. Sorry, but thats bullshit.

I'm all for competition, really. I just wish EGS actually had something to offer that was based on merit, not holding titles for ransom. Seems to me that EGS leaves a lot to be desired feature wise. I saw where a newer racing game doesn't even have leaderboards because it's on EGS. Sorry, but thats bullshit.
^ This
I understand barriers to entry, but eliminating choice is not usually a pro-consumer activity. When you hold people hostage on an inferior service that introduces limitations, then the system is broken.

Assuming that this is an online racing game to have leaderboards, why would leaderboards be a function of the store? I would expect something like that on the official website and/or within the game itself.

Steam randomly pauses downloads. It has been like that for years. If I download a 10GB update it may download 3.7GB, then pause for a few minutes, then continue again. I'm not playing another game when I'm downloading a game, it will just pause and resume eventually.

Back when Origin was the rage topic of the year I used to comment on how amazingly fast the download speeds and consistency was compared to Steam.

I can't say I experience that issue. Again, I suggest making that adjustment as it might ease that issue. I have incredibly expensive slow internet. I live in Alaska. And...well, other than my connection speed, I don't get odd pauses. I do get "schedules" but I can just force it.

Assuming that this is an online racing game to have leaderboards, why would leaderboards be a function of the store? I would expect something like that on the official website and/or within the game itself.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the technical details, but I believe it has to do with your friends list and viewing their times.

Uh, no, it's for everyone - it just depends on the sales numbers.

Yeah because anyone that sells that many is big enough to sell directly through their own launcher. Which is very common now because of the terrible rates Valve has been taking. It was created directly in response to the developers creating their own launchers and then fast tracked when EGS became an option.

That's Tim Sweeney, he fights for the users. Oh wait... He's a greedy corporate fuck, who's more transparent than color-zero. Yeah, he's saying this "for the good of PC developers everywhere." The market he turned his back on not so long ago... So, could it be any clearer how much of a slime-ball he is now? Ok, EGS supporters, here's your benevolent champion spewing BS from his mouth, pretending to look like some kind of dev-messiah. I may vomit.

Yeah because anyone that sells that many is big enough to sell directly through their own launcher. Which is very common now because of the terrible rates Valve has been taking. It was created directly in response to the developers creating their own launchers and then fast tracked when EGS became an option.

The threshold for 25% is $10 million, which for a $60 title is what, 167k copies? That is hardly anything. Even with an indie $20 title you're talking 500,000 copies which is again, not absurd. 20% cut is $50 mil which is still less than 1 million copies for a $60 title. Probably harder to achieve as an indie, granted, but not impossible.

My point was that the 30% figure thrown around as some sort of absolute is not really accurate.\

And let's be clear here; I'm not saying that Steam's cut is good, especially compared to EGS. But I do think that the value you get from Steam as a platform is definitely an order of magnitude higher than EGS currently, so they probably do deserve a higher cut in general.

Back