Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

The Japanese work 80 hours a week! What?

Edit: Maybe developers do? I don’t know. I couldn’t find anything. But a quick google search reveals that the Japanese work, on average, 40 hours a week, just like most of us.

Also, I’m not convinced that game developers in other parts of the world aren’t working crazy hours as well. I’ve heard otherwise.

I have no special knowledge here, but this sounds kind of fishy to me, that the Japanese work harder than everyone else and are happy to do it?
You people don't know Japanese work culture. People sleep under their desks instead of going home. It a major factor why Japan has such a high suicide rate.

You people don't know Japanese work culture. People sleep under their desks instead of going home. It a major factor why Japan has such a high suicide rate.
Non-western source on the cause of suicide in Japan?

Non-western source on the cause of suicide in Japan?
They got areas where people go to do it. One of the Paul brothers got in a lot heat cause they went to the site and filmed bodies in the past. Honor is still a huge thing in Japan.

People sleep under their desks instead of going home. It a major factor why Japan has such a high suicide rate.
Ah… you said before that the Japanese work 80 hrs a week and are happy to do it.

I guess that’s why they’re killing themselves.

Joking aside, I’m sure they all work hard, and are underpaid. According to that article above, the average salary of a From developer is roughly 50,000 US, which is crazy.

Last edited:
They keep everything in house and Japanese work culture loves working 80+ hours a week and do it without complaining.
Pretty sure those companies are called Black Companies in Japan and it's not a compliment. It's not that they love it either for the most part, it is what is expected of them. There is less complaining because in Japan leaving a company or being fired from one is considered dishonorable and can be detrimental to your future like getting blacklisted for employment and also socially.

If these guys were like other devs they would’ve lopped off areas like Caelid, Nokron, Miquella’s Haligtree, etc. and made them paid DLC’s. They probably would’ve made loads more dough and received nothing but praise. I’m still baffled by the amount of content we got for $60.

Report: Elden Ring Devs Say From Software Engages In 'Some Level Of Crunch'

Some employees admit to working early mornings and overtime ‘for two to three months’...

https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-dark-souls-fromsoftware-games-crunch-bandai-1849831349

In 8 years they did:

Dark Souls 3
Sekiro
Elden Ring
Armored Core 6
Some VR game

Armored Core 6 was certainly a more simplistic AA game, and they likely have 3-4 teams working on different projects at once. But that is still a lot of releases for one studio in that time frame. I can certainly see long hours being an issue there.

In 8 years they did:

Dark Souls 3
Sekiro
Elden Ring
Armored Core 6
Some VR game

Armored Core 6 was certainly a more simplistic AA game, and they likely have 3-4 teams working on different projects at once. But that is still a lot of releases for one studio in that time frame. I can certainly see long hours being an issue there.
The released 10 games in 8 years:
  1. Dark Souls II: SotFS
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Monster Hunter Diary
  4. Dark Souls III
  5. Dark Souls: Remastered
  6. Déraciné
  7. Sekiro
  8. Metal Wolf Chaos remaster
  9. Elden Ring
  10. Armored Core VI
They used to release twice as many games in the same time period a decade or two ago.

This expansion is $53.49 CAD on Steam.

I’m out. That’s an outrageous price. I’d gladly pay $53 - but gouging me for the extra 49 cents is just pure greed.
.49 cents is the deal breaker the more games I play the more I like Eldenring to a point. I still wish the world was more compact like previous Souls games.

Last edited:
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Monster Hunter Diary
  4. Dark Souls III
  6. Déraciné
  7. Sekiro
  9. Elden Ring
  10. Armored Core VI
They used to release twice as many games in the same time period a decade or two ago.
Holy crap.

2. Bloodborne
  3. Monster Hunter Diary
  4. Dark Souls III
  6. Déraciné
  7. Sekiro
  9. Elden Ring
  10. Armored Core VI
just copy and paste this when someone says "idk why so many people are like From Software cultists"

I'm trying Elden Ring out on my new PC and it's crashing my whole entire system. Game runs fine for a few minutes and then the frame rate drops to 3 (literally 3), audio becomes choppy, my whole system is lagging like crazy, then my computer reboots. Happens even if I'm just sitting on the title screen.

Tried updating my Nvidia drivers to latest, no change. I'm not seeing any CPU or GPU spikes, temps are cool as a cucumber. No other game does this. Any ideas?

4090 + 7800X3D combo

I'm trying Elden Ring out on my new PC and it's crashing my whole entire system. Game runs fine for a few minutes and then the frame rate drops to 3 (literally 3), audio becomes choppy, my whole system is lagging like crazy, then my computer reboots. Happens even if I'm just sitting on the title screen.

Tried updating my Nvidia drivers to latest, no change. I'm not seeing any CPU or GPU spikes, temps are cool as a cucumber. No other game does this. Any ideas?

4090 + 7800X3D combo
Bad memory or insufficient psu maybe?

Last edited:

4090 + 7800X3D combo
did you update the bios on your new mobo? If not, you definitely should.

open an elevated command prompt and use "sfc /scannow" to scan windows base system files for errors.

Install the latest C++ redistributables pack
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

Update windows and all of your drivers. chipset, sound, etc

DDU your Nvidia drivers and reinstall the latest
set the Nvidia driver control panel to "unlimited" for shader cache

Verify the game files through steam

disconnect any USB devices which you don't need, to play Elden Ring. ER has issues on some systems, with extra devices connected.

run the game without any mods. not even a framerate unlock.

then try to play again. if it works, then try a framerate unlock.

Update: It appears to be EAC causing my system to crash. I disabled EAC and it's no longer crashing!

However... That's not really a good long term solution if I want to play multiplayer.

I found this thread describing the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t3ml7e/easy_anti_cheat_causing_crashes_with_full_pc/

That person fixed it with a BIOS update. I just updated mine to the latest and also installed the latest AMD chipset drivers and it made no difference. Still crashing when EAC is enabled. :(

Is there any BIOS settings I can mess with to make EAC play nice?

Update: It appears to be EAC causing my system to crash. I disabled EAC and it's no longer crashing!

However... That's not really a good long term solution if I want to play multiplayer.

I found this thread describing the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t3ml7e/easy_anti_cheat_causing_crashes_with_full_pc/

That person fixed it with a BIOS update. I just updated mine to the latest and also installed the latest AMD chipset drivers and it made no difference. Still crashing when EAC is enabled. :(

Is there any BIOS settings I can mess with to make EAC play nice?
In that case, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the game (and therefore, EAC along with it).

If EAC is crashing you likely have a hardware fault somewhere. Likely memory.

If EAC is crashing you likely have a hardware fault somewhere. Likely memory.

But like... That wouldn't show up anywhere else? I've been using this PC since Christmas. Surely a memory fault would've crashed my other games by now? Especially more graphically intense games like Cyberpunk and Alan Wake 2.

I also just tried another EAC game (Fall Guys) and that one works fine.

Solved! It was the thunderbolt driver. Uninstalling it fixed the issue.

Huge shout out to this gigachad who discovered the solution: https://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/3952532649323378129/

Man... I'd be screwed if I hadn't found that post.
Is it an Intel TB controller or something else?

This is the latest Intel driver
https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...t-Software-Version-1.41.1379-WHQL/lang,en-gb/

Mobo pages often don't update them. Asrock's Taichi for example, last posted one in 2022.

Back