Dying Light - zombies, 4-player co-op

I got this the other night, one of my buddies got a 4 pack and gifted me one...and then still hasn't even played it LOL. At about 25% now. I haven't played with random online people yet, mainly because Dead Island & similar coop games kind of left a bad taste in my mouth with it's online play. Too many idiots that just want to charge through everything and not bother looting or helping.

I had a lot of fun standing on the raised highway near a broken chunk of wall and just grapple pushing walkers off the edge over and over and watching the XP rack up.

I'm actually a couple levels higher on my running skill than my combat, I just love climbing, vaulting, and throwing. Kinda wish broken weapons would auto disassemble and pull out the next weapon. I also think it should show you the damage stats too. Sometimes I have several powerful weapons of the same type equipped.

I also get the occasional lag where the game will freeze for up to 10 seconds even though I'm not running low on RAM, though 3GB of VRAM may not be enough for the highest settings. I think I turned off DOF & HBAO to get a little extra performance.

Lots of fun though!

One specific example is the climbing inside the leg of the bridge. They make you have to jump from a pipe that you climb to a small platform directly behind you. However, you are jumping perpendicular to the platform, so since you can't control your jump length it just makes you jump straight over it and fall to your death. Has happened to me twice now and it's fucking infuriating because you have so little control over your jumping.

If you're talking about the one section where you had to get to the crazy guy's roof to get in, pretty sure I was able to just look down and drop to the platform, or just pulled myself up inside the shallow "tunnel" section.

If you're talking about the one section where you had to get to the crazy guy's roof to get in, pretty sure I was able to just look down and drop to the platform, or just pulled myself up inside the shallow "tunnel" section.

Nope, different part. I was referring to climbing up the leg of the Liberty (?) Bridge. You can go from the water level to the bridge level by climbing, and then you also have to get up where the UV bulbs are (for Alfie's quest) by climbing up the inside of the leg.

Nope, different part. I was referring to climbing up the leg of the Liberty (?) Bridge. You can go from the water level to the bridge level by climbing, and then you also have to get up where the UV bulbs are (for Alfie's quest) by climbing up the inside of the leg.

I must be a terrible gamer, because I cannot get up there to the bulbs. I get inside the support and half way up and then cant jump from the pipe to the platform. It would be nice to find the key to all the ladder baskets lol. I pretty much gave up on the quest, will I be missing out on anything if I skip this quest?

I got this the other night, one of my buddies got a 4 pack and gifted me one...and then still hasn't even played it LOL. At about 25% now. I haven't played with random online people yet, mainly because Dead Island & similar coop games kind of left a bad taste in my mouth with it's online play. Too many idiots that just want to charge through everything and not bother looting or helping.

I had a lot of fun standing on the raised highway near a broken chunk of wall and just grapple pushing walkers off the edge over and over and watching the XP rack up.

I'm actually a couple levels higher on my running skill than my combat, I just love climbing, vaulting, and throwing. Kinda wish broken weapons would auto disassemble and pull out the next weapon. I also think it should show you the damage stats too. Sometimes I have several powerful weapons of the same type equipped.

I also get the occasional lag where the game will freeze for up to 10 seconds even though I'm not running low on RAM, though 3GB of VRAM may not be enough for the highest settings. I think I turned off DOF & HBAO to get a little extra performance.

Lots of fun though!
with my AMD 290 everything is smooth. Afterburner reports 3900MB of ram use with everything maxed and 1440P resolution

I must be a terrible gamer, because I cannot get up there to the bulbs. I get inside the support and half way up and then cant jump from the pipe to the platform. It would be nice to find the key to all the ladder baskets lol. I pretty much gave up on the quest, will I be missing out on anything if I skip this quest?

ya, know that jump. the key to climbing is only to use the up & down arrow keys. you jump automatically. Use space to "jump to". you have to aim at the wall so you don't overshoot it and it is still hard to do.

The only way I found for it to work is that you want to jump when you are slightly below the platform, so you will grab the edge of the platform/guardrail rather than trying to actually land on the platform. If you jump from the top, you just jump over the platform entirely and then die (as I was describing earlier). Some of the climbing you do to get up to the bulbs is actually on the outside of the tower, along the concrete. That stuff is pretty easy.

I actually didn't...just depends on the order you do the missions in I guess.

found an easter egg
rOVrBsV.jpg

I am so pissed, I just started up the game and I'm back in the slums. The other day I went to old town and did probably 10-15 quests and somehow my game didn't save. I honestly don't even feel like re doing all that shit again.

Same thing happened Shadow of Mordor, start the game and my save is gone. With that game, I was 78% complete and then no game saves anywhere. Haven't started that again either.

I am so pissed, I just started up the game and I'm back in the slums. The other day I went to old town and did probably 10-15 quests and somehow my game didn't save. I honestly don't even feel like re doing all that shit again.

Same thing happened Shadow of Mordor, start the game and my save is gone. With that game, I was 78% complete and then no game saves anywhere. Haven't started that again either.

Sounds like a setting unique to your PC if its happening across multiple games. Could be many things. Starters, have you got Steam Cloud saves enabled? If so try disabling. Cloud bullshit is overrated, but then that's not unique to Steam and same goes for any client - Origin, etc.

In fairness, I believe leaving Cloud Saves enabled (which is default) will work 99.99% of the time, but that first time it screws up can be enough to sour you on the whole thing. The first time a game crashed on me and the sync got confused and overwrote the newer local copy of the save with the older cloud copy, I turned it off and never looked back.

For some reason permissions issue pops into my head. I don't know if SoM is saving to the same area as DL? Maybe something is goofy and either can't get write access?

Well since SoM lost my save, I have reformatted and installed a fresh install of Win8.1. I do have steam cloud saves turned on. I will just turn it off. I forget what game did the same thing to me in the past but I used to take the save files (after I was done playing) and copy/back it up to another drive/folder just incase. Maybe I will just start doing that again.

As much as I loved this game, and I really did, I just can't bring myself to want to restart with NG+

Hmm.....maybe I need to let it cool off for a bit before going back.

Just received patch 1.4, it appears that the RAM related improvement is working. Previously I noticed the game used about 4.5GB of RAM, now it has gone down to 2GB.

I've had some fps drop in certain situations outdoor previously, I hope this is gone too, but I'll have to play more throughout the weekend to see if I still come across that issue.

Patch 1.4.0 release notes
List of fixes in version 1.4.0:
Hardware, performance & stability issues
• Resolved various stability issues
• Numerous general performance optimizations
• Significantly reduced RAM memory usage

Gameplay issues
• Added option to disable film grain video effect.
• Fixed the issue with reaching Survivor Rank 25
• Optimized video memory management to eliminate “ResizeBuffers failed 0x887a0005” error message
• Fixed extremely long load times that some users were experiencing
• Resolved issues with unlocking certain achievements
• Fixed the issue with ammo disappearing from player’s inventory when attempting shooting challenges
• Resolved issues with Personal Statistics menu
• Fixed problems with using keys assigned to gameplay features during chat
• Fixed duplicating weapons exploit

Be-the-Zombie mode
• Fixed the ‘infinite spit’ exploit in Be-the-Zombie mode
• Fixed several issues with connecting to games when playing as the zombie
• Added additional tools for tracking network issues

Game data integrity (modding)
• Games can be modded
• Modded games will not work online with original unchanged versions
• Modded games will work with other identically modded games

Graphical Bugs
• Resolved extremely low resolution textures on certain objects regardless of texture quality settings

Linux specific improvements:
• Fixed motion blur switching via main menu
• Fixed messaging when playing cross-platform session

Known issues we are still working on:
• Screen flickering when using dual-GPU setups
• Radeon support on Linux platforms

Looked like crossfire/SLi is still busted :(

FUCK YEAH FOR MODDING TOOLS COMING!

Getting really tired of these games being released in unplayable condition for most users. With i7/32gb ram/270x on lowest setting get stuttering out the ass. At this point I would like a refund...

I wouldn't update to the newest patch (1.4) it basically is a drastic downgrade in fidelity/graphic quality. That is the optimization.

I wouldn't update to the newest patch (1.4) it basically is a drastic downgrade in fidelity/graphic quality. That is the optimization.

I was afraid of that :(. Is there anywhere we could see a comparison or the changes they did to the graphics?

I didn't notice any decrease, but maybe it's not easy to spot without a side-by-side comparison.

I thought the previous patch had the quality downgrade, in the form of a much reduced distant object cutoff.

another patch...another graphics downgrade...with 1.4.0 shadow maps are now limited to 2048 (for video cards with less then 2GB VRAM), and various reflections may also have been removed from the game...is this Techland's definition of improved performance?

Sounds plausible but I'd need side by side proof to be certain. As is, I can't tell so I'm just going to continue having fun.

this is why im sitting here sipping my coffee waiting for everyone to say its better :)

Me and a few buddies snagged for $39, and have taking it slow doing every side quest we can we're about 38% into the storyline. Crazy fun game, not a single crash yet...not so much as even a glitch, runs great as well. Not sure if I'd drop Steam's $60 on it, but it's well worth the $39 we paid for it.

I thought the previous patch had the quality downgrade, in the form of a much reduced distant object cutoff.

Yep, it was mentioned in the geforce.com optimization guide. Apparently some people were complaining that they couldn't run max setting (with the misguided belief that their PC should be able to) and accuse the game of being unoptimized. As a result, the view distance was reduced significantly in patch 1.2

There seems to be a strange fixation among certain PC gamers with quality setting levels, and this isn't anything new. I think it goes all the way back to Crysis. Even on medium, Crysis looked better than anything that was available at that time, but there's a small group of people who are not satisfied just because it says "Medium" and assume it's bad and the game is crap.

Me and a few buddies snagged for $39, and have taking it slow doing every side quest we can we're about 38% into the storyline. Crazy fun game, not a single crash yet...not so much as even a glitch, runs great as well. Not sure if I'd drop Steam's $60 on it, but it's well worth the $39 we paid for it.

I think $40 is fair I honestly just think $60 is a publisher made up price point. I like the side quest in the game some of them are goofy and the alcohol one made me want to drop a grenade in the room and walk out, but nothing as bad as the stupidity in the original Dead Island. Aside from the draw distance issue I'm not seeing any of these other optimizations people are complaining about but I'm really looking. I just want crossfire and eyefinity to work, thats whats pissing me off.

Knowing that GTA and Bloodborne are still more than a month off I pulled the trigger on this game. So far I'm pretty impressed. It looks good, runs well, and feels polished.

Me and my friend finished it last night. Played for around 50 hrs Id say. Almost all coop. Had a blast.
Toward the end we were crazy overpowered. I could kill a volatile in a couple whacks of my one handed weapon.

We didnt get one bomber kidney period, I guess its bugged somehow?

2 things I hated.
1- Last fight is QTE....WTF
2- Just a general pet peeve I have where anytime you get knocked out/incapacitated via a stupid cutscene

I feel this game is too easy.

Later in the game, you can one hit everything and the resources are plenty and unlimited.

They should make resources more scarce. Shops should stop restocking unlimited ammo and medkits. Boxes, etc once picked, shouldn't refill.

Anyone else feel the same?

I'm not very far and can't comment on difficulty, but I read something about one of the devs introducing a new difficulty that makes the later stages of the game a lot more challenging.

I feel this game is too easy.

Later in the game, you can one hit everything and the resources are plenty and unlimited.

They should make resources more scarce. Shops should stop restocking unlimited ammo and medkits. Boxes, etc once picked, shouldn't refill.

Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, even NG+ is way too easy.

I also hate that the katana and shortsword are the only late game melee weapons. I wanted the variety to stay, where's my 2k damage dagger and police baton?

I barely used medkits, never buy anything from shops, except occasional weapons, finished with 100s of medkits. maybe I spent too much time scavenging.

Part of the problem is that you can find those medical "packages" that give you a bunch of medkits at once, so you never really have any risk of running out.

Also, what is the point of money in this game? I have not once needed to buy a weapon, and I have like 60k or something.

Back