Dying Light - zombies, 4-player co-op

You don't need to buy weapons, but generally they may have 5 repairs + do much more damage, whereas the ones you find will only have 3 repairs.

hey so im late to the party huh? im starting a new game now, game is 1.4 and it has a bunch of dlcs on it.

I bought a handful of weapons just bc of the better repair slots.

As did I. A good orange weapon that's modified and upgraded can last quite a while, both in durability and comparable damage. But if you level up your Survivor skill quickly, the shop weapons also go up in strength, and you start to see more powerful weapons for sale.

Funny thing is, one of the side quests offers a reward to refurbish a weapon of your choice. My most powerful orange weapon was on it's last repair and running low, and I thought it only repaired it to full, but it even restored all the repairs back. So I had it for quite a while until I came across something for sale even more powerful.

On another note, does anyone else think the guns were added in as an afterthought? There's only a few types, and they all have the same damage regardless of rarity. Being able to modify guns and ammo could've made things a bit more interesting, as well as more variety in types. I really liked how upgrades worked in Stalker:CS.

I've played this game for several hours and I've only encountered one issue. When being grappled by a zombie, my FPS absolutely tanks.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there any workaround? It's listed in the known bugs sticky thread in the game's Steam discussion hub.

Great game BTW. Well worth the $45 I paid for it on GMG.

I've played this game for several hours and I've only encountered one issue. When being grappled by a zombie, my FPS absolutely tanks.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there any workaround? It's listed in the known bugs sticky thread in the game's Steam discussion hub.

Great game BTW. Well worth the $45 I paid for it on GMG.

Turning off depth of field helped me

You don't need to buy weapons, but generally they may have 5 repairs + do much more damage, whereas the ones you find will only have 3 repairs.

True, though I have found a few weapons that are blue and purple which give you 3 and 4 repairs respectively I believe. Fairly early on you can get the skill that gives you a pretty good chance of not using up a repair when you repair weapons, and on some blues I've gotten like 6+ repairs out of them because of that.

I've only ever found one orange weapon, and it was a crowbar that was basically under-damaged when I found it.

I guess there is no other use for money so I might as well buy weapons. Though I will say that you can't really go crazy buying, because even with $60k or whatever I have, high-end weapons still cost around $12k or so.

I didn't mean to discredit you, I was honestly asking. I used that site extensively for skyrim.

I hopped around a few links, this one is very popular apparently:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/2889/
Hello ! This is my preset for "Dying Light". --------------------------------------
NO MORE BLUR, NO MORE GREENISH/BROWNISH TINT !
With this preset you can now enjoy the colors of the game as it should be, blue sky, sunnier ambiance during the day and the real darkness during the night, this preset took me hours of settings to get a perfect balance and i think it's now pretty good. ----------------------------------------
Changes :
-Blur off.
-Green/brown tint removed.
-True colors(Blue sky, green trees...etc)
-Sharp image
-Better lighting
Effects used : -SMAA -BLOOM -LUMASHARPEN -GAUSSIAN -DPX -LIFTGAMMAGAIN -TONEMAP -VIBRANCE -CURVES -SEPIA
--------------------------------------
Insert = ON/OFF Delete = Reload SFX
Try it ingame it's better than the pictures.

Might have to try that...why do they make all of these games look washed-out as fuck? I mean, I know it's supposed to be "gritty" or whatever but it just looks bland.

The game ran very well for me even while steaming it. I have the older PC listed in my sig. I ran the settings that was assigned when i installed the game. Although I did change the resolution to my monitors native 1080p. Looked and ran great for a shit, console port.

On another note, does anyone else think the guns were added in as an afterthought? There's only a few types, and they all have the same damage regardless of rarity. Being able to modify guns and ammo could've made things a bit more interesting, as well as more variety in types. I really liked how upgrades worked in Stalker:CS.

Yeah, the guns are really bare-bones. They really could have done a better job. I mean, the actual gunplay is alright, but like you said, rarity means nothing (even though they do have different rarities of guns), same damage, basically only 3 guns (pistol, AR, shotgun) with a couple extremely minor variations of each. They should have added elemental ammo types, and had different rarities mean something (maybe having to repair the guns as well?).

Speaking of which, there was that quest in Old Town with the gunsmith where they mention the dude making some "awesome weapon" and the main character mentioning how a silencer would be nice. You get to the end of the quest line and all you get are a few purple rarity guns (which, again, means nothing). Extremely disappointing.

Sad because Dead Island had crappy gun mechanics as well, which was ironic considering one of the characters was made out to be a "gun expert".

I'm guessing the guns was one of the few items that didn't get fully fleshed out before release time.

In my opinion that isn't too terrible as it is the only thing that kind of bugged me about the game technically.

Is it just me, or is the "Turn off film grain" video setting in the last patch not actually doing anything? Seems like I still have "film grain" even with it disabled. I never installed any of the previous no-film-grain mods, the game is pure vanilla.

I hopped around a few links, this one is very popular apparently:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/2889/

It definitely looks a lot better with the blur removed, but I'm still getting chromatic aberration applied even though it's disabled in the config. WTH?

EDIT: This also seems to cause sporadic crashing. I played before with absolutely 0 crashes, and suddenly I get two within the same day after using this. Hmm...

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is the "Turn off film grain" video setting in the last patch not actually doing anything? Seems like I still have "film grain" even with it disabled. I never installed any of the previous no-film-grain mods, the game is pure vanilla.

Known issue, the film grain seems to stay enabled or reenables itself. Toggling it back on and off again *should* work from what I understand.

game is failing to captivate me. and it has blood and violence and gore, what is wrong?

Play with friends.
I'm not attacking your comment, but I wanted to reply to this as this seems to be the answer for almost all games that do have multiplayer. Is this what the industry is pushing towards for everything? I'm not a hardcore gamer, but most games that have rave reviews that I have tried that I tend to think are boring I receive advice that playing friends will make it enjoyable. That doesn't work for me.

I'm not attacking your comment, but I wanted to reply to this as this seems to be the answer for almost all games that do have multiplayer. Is this what the industry is pushing towards for everything? I'm not a hardcore gamer, but most games that have rave reviews that I have tried that I tend to think are boring I receive advice that playing friends will make it enjoyable. That doesn't work for me.

Nor was I attacking you so I hope it didn't come across as flippant. My own experience has been that I get bored with this game in single-player, but once I see someone on my steam friends list playing I'll join their game and then it's just more enjoyable especially if you a mic. Teamwork is engaging.

I dunno about a greater industry push toward MP, but the heritage of this game (Dead Island) is 4 player co-op so that has a lot to do with it.

I think there's a distinction between games that push for online-only multi-player as part of some longterm company-wide monetization strategy, let's say like EA with Battlefield, and a game like this which isn't attempting to monetize the online MP aspect but is simply there because it adds a fun dimension to the gameplay.

Nor was I attacking you so I hope it didn't come across as flippant. My own experience has been that I get bored with this game in single-player, but once I see someone on my steam friends list playing I'll join their game and then it's just more enjoyable especially if you a mic. Teamwork is engaging.

I dunno about a greater industry push toward MP, but the heritage of this game (Dead Island) is 4 player co-op so that has a lot to do with it.

I think there's a distinction between games that push for online-only multi-player as part of some longterm company-wide monetization strategy, let's say like EA with Battlefield, and a game like this which isn't attempting to monetize the online MP aspect but is simply there because it adds a fun dimension to the gameplay.
We're on the same page so all is good! Maybe I'm just out of touch with the industry anymore and that's why so many multiplayer games feel like they are pushed or doing co-op. I may get chastised for saying this, but I found Borderlands extremely boring. Some friends that love the game, and another gaming website I frequent said the same thing, "play with friends." In my opinion, playing with friends should enhance the experience, not be required to make the game interesting. Take Wolfenstein: The New Order for instance. Just my opinion, but that game is incredible and gets overlooked. No multiplayer, but awesome graphics, story, music, and characters.

It really is very similar to Dead Island, but I feel like it's more polished in a lot of ways, but still has shortcomings in a lot of ways as well.

It really is very similar to Dead Island, but I feel like it's more polished in a lot of ways, but still has shortcomings in a lot of ways as well.

I feel it is much better than Dead Island. DI couldn't keep my interest all that long. I've only got 17 hours in it, while I have almost 50 in Dying Light.

I finished the game last night, 25 hours played with 100% story completion and 75% side quest completion.

I feel like most of the positive reviews for the game were from gamers who only played the first 5-10 hours.

Once I hit the 10 hour mark the main story missions became a chore to play through, the story became convoluted and uninteresting, and I encountered a lot of bugs. Bugs such as getting stuck in walls, glitching through walls, using the grappling hook and not grabbing the ledge resulting in long falls to death, and not having story progress save in co-op sessions.

Not only that, but around 10 hours I came to the realization that weapon/mods don't really matter, there's no reason to loot anything in the game, no reason to buy/sell stuff from the vendors, and the skills unlocks are useless after you get to around level 10 in all skill categories.

Who thinks it's fun to take away everyone's stuff to fight boss monsters? Who thinks its fun to have to parkour through a pre-determined path for 10+ minutes getting reset anytime you die? Who thought it was fun to be in a dream world and jump ledge to ledge, or create travel points through sewage that takes 20 minutes to find your destination....

Have a lot more to say but I'll stop there

jbonez21's experience mirrors mine in a lot of ways. I actually haven't even touched this game in almost a week because I don't have that much desire to keep slogging through it. Haven't quite finished the story yet but as he said, it becomes a chore anyway.

Back