Dragon Age 3: Inquisition Announced

I'd love to see a return to a classic party-based RPG like DA:O. Unlike DA2, maybe this time with equip-able armor, skill trees that matter, and whatever is the opposite of awesome happening every time you press a button. And enemies that don't spawn out of thin air.

I'm not holding my breath though. I'm waiting for Project Eternity instead.

The whole "something awesome happens every time you press a button" ruined the entire POINT of "some thing awesome happening."

They don't seem to understand if you have something awesome happening every single combat encounter it takes AWAY from that experience.

This is something filmmakers have known for decades now and story tellers much longer, you have an ebb and flow, calm before the storm, peaks and valleys, which in turn make that "awesome" thing that happens all the more meaningful and "awesome" because it doesn't happen so often.

Looks like they're moving farther and farther away from their roots of tactical + overhead RPG. Ah well.

Looks like they're moving farther and farther away from their roots of tactical + overhead RPG. Ah well.
Well you can't actually see what's going on. You could zoom in pretty close in DA:O too, they might just be zooming in because that's the style they want to advertise.

That's what I am telling myself, anyways.

Well you can't actually see what's going on. You could zoom in pretty close in DA:O too, they might just be zooming in because that's the style they want to advertise.

Definitely possible. I'll be holding off any official judgment until far more details are released. :)

A little toned down in a good way. At least the swords don't swing quite as much like JRPG swords as DA2.

Still, no chance of day 1 for me

Not too impressed when I compared this to Dragon`s Dogma: Dark Arisen, which I finished recently. That game is mostly hack and slash but darn it if it is not a well made hack and slasher. Still has plenty of problems in balance and even in gameplay of course. Dark Souls 2 and Witcher 3 are both coming fairly soon so this game will face stiff competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDIKwgmOms

Every time this video shows the devs playing it shows them using xbox controllers with the over the shoulder camera view. It looks like they are getting rid of the party system, unless they aren't showing that aspect for some reason.

They need to keep the updated graphics, use an expanded Origins camera pov, stop developing with consoles as the primary platform, and have a world actually worth exploring.

The IP is dead to me as well as Bioware. They are whores. I didn't even buy ME3 when it was $5 and never will. ME2 was shit, DA2 was shit and this will be shit. AIDS would be to good a death for these people.

The IP is dead to me as well as Bioware. They are whores. I didn't even buy ME3 when it was $5 and never will. ME2 was shit, DA2 was shit and this will be shit. AIDS would be to good a death for these people.

You seem to have anger issues. Also, ME2 was the best game in the trilogy.

I am really hoping another company steps up and makes a good RPG game since every established series is suffering from the short attention span console crowd. This title is a perfect example, the series has gone from a RPG game with a great story, skill management, and tactics (somewhat), to a 3rd person hack and slash.

You seem to have anger issues. Also, ME2 was the best game in the trilogy.

Sorry I disagree. I felt ME1 was the superior game and many agree with me. EA made ME2 a shitty console shooter on rails. Anyways if I do play this turd I will pirate it.

Sorry I disagree. I felt ME1 was the superior game and many agree with me. EA made ME2 a shitty console shooter on rails. Anyways if I do play this turd I will pirate it.

Do you even know what a rail shooter is?

I've read a lot of good things about Inquisition and am glad to see that EA and Bioware admitting that DA2 was a huge mistake. That said, I don't trust EA, or Bioware anymore. I'm going to have to see it with my own eyes before I let myself become interested in it.

I just saw the latest gameplay video... :(

It looks like Mass Effect and Space Marine had a love child, which is exactly WHAT I DON"T WANT TO PLAY!

I know it's not made for me, I get it, just venting over the complete loss of another series and genre to the we-gotta-have-it-now-thinking-sucks-give-me-action-with-lots-of-flashy-booms crowd.

RIP Dragon Age, we hardly knew you...

I actually think it looks cool. I will buy it if it's cheap and on steam. But since it's EA, I somehow doubt it.

I actually think it looks cool. I will buy it if it's cheap and on steam. But since it's EA, I somehow doubt it.
It's a triple A title by EA, are you joking right now? This isn't a kickstarter game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDIKwgmOms

Every time this video shows the devs playing it shows them using xbox controllers with the over the shoulder camera view. It looks like they are getting rid of the party system, unless they aren't showing that aspect for some reason.

They need to keep the updated graphics, use an expanded Origins camera pov, stop developing with consoles as the primary platform, and have a world actually worth exploring.
That really doesn't mean anything. The game is pre-alpha, and some of the footage recently shows party members. They've mentioned that they are expanding on the party customization more again after all the (legitimate) complaints about DA2, so it's definitely not as bad as it was.

That really doesn't mean anything. The game is pre-alpha, and some of the footage recently shows party members. They've mentioned that they are expanding on the party customization more again after all the (legitimate) complaints about DA2, so it's definitely not as bad as it was.

My wife keeps watching videos on youtube about it, and it makes her so angry after they screwed DA2 up so bad. She doesn't think they'll be able to save the game series, but then again she was incredibly pessimistic over the original until she had a chance to play it. Still, after Mass Effect 3's issues, I'm not optimistic either.

I doubt they'll add back in the skill and level customization that DA:O had, it's too complicated and distracts from the whiz-bang bullshit they are turning the combat into.

Instead of changing armors, weapons, etc. I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that by customization they mean appearance related items such as hair color and style, color of clothing/armor, etc.

And I'd bet the farm that the customization will come in the form of DLC (it will put Oblivion's Horse Armor to shame, which is saying something).

I just saw the latest gameplay video... :(

It looks like Mass Effect and Space Marine had a love child, which is exactly WHAT I DON"T WANT TO PLAY!

I know it's not made for me, I get it, just venting over the complete loss of another series and genre to the we-gotta-have-it-now-thinking-sucks-give-me-action-with-lots-of-flashy-booms crowd.

RIP Dragon Age, we hardly knew you...

I had the opposite feeling.

I was late seeing the full PAX video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAAEUFjq2K4

but I have to say, I think they fixed many of the gameplay issues I had with da2.

First off, the game is absolutely beautiful with that new frostbite 3 engine. You can see the difference now that the consoles get increased graphics the entire world benefits by the devs not shooting for the gutter.

They brought back the isometric camera option, FANTASTIC. I am sure more distance can be achieved on the pc easily. They seemed to have brought back more tactical powers with the mage too, that ice wall being able to BLOCK arrows was fantastic.

I still have worries, is the mage still gimped and under powered in terms of damage like da2? Do you still have to chain combos with other classes to do ANY damage like da2?

Hopefully those issues are fixed as well.

The world and scope of the game looks HUGE compared to da2 (not hard, but a good thing).

The last thing I hope for is a better general story. dao was an epic sprawling adventure, da2 was days of our lives in kirkwall, where the only excitement I had was seeing those grey wardens near the end of the game and hoping I could join them in a BETTER game and adventure and LEAVE the hell hole that was kirkwall... only to find I was stuck to watch them ditch me in that empty world.

I don't think da3 could possibly be worse than da2 there based off the basic size of it, but we'll see. I'm hopeful now though.

I had the opposite feeling.

I was late seeing the full PAX video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAAEUFjq2K4

but I have to say, I think they fixed many of the gameplay issues I had with da2.

First off, the game is absolutely beautiful with that new frostbite 3 engine. You can see the difference now that the consoles get increased graphics the entire world benefits by the devs not shooting for the gutter.

They brought back the isometric camera option, FANTASTIC. I am sure more distance can be achieved on the pc easily. They seemed to have brought back more tactical powers with the mage too, that ice wall being able to BLOCK arrows was fantastic.

I still have worries, is the mage still gimped and under powered in terms of damage like da2? Do you still have to chain combos with other classes to do ANY damage like da2?

Hopefully those issues are fixed as well.

The world and scope of the game looks HUGE compared to da2 (not hard, but a good thing).

The last thing I hope for is a better general story. dao was an epic sprawling adventure, da2 was days of our lives in kirkwall, where the only excitement I had was seeing those grey wardens near the end of the game and hoping I could join them in a BETTER game and adventure and LEAVE the hell hole that was kirkwall... only to find I was stuck to watch them ditch me in that empty world.

I don't think da3 could possibly be worse than da2 there based off the basic size of it, but we'll see. I'm hopeful now though.

I can believe that DA3 could be worse than DA2. The combat might get better, but it's the storytelling and characters that really need the work. Hell, DA Origins had plenty of problems! The dwarf and mage tower sections were brutally slow, but the story and characters drove you forward.

I am hopeful, but still almost positive this game will be ball sac sweat, unfortunately.

I can believe that DA3 could be worse than DA2. The combat might get better, but it's the storytelling and characters that really need the work. Hell, DA Origins had plenty of problems! The dwarf and mage tower sections were brutally slow, but the story and characters drove you forward.

The story in DA:O was like a George RR Martin story, no good or bad guys, lots of shade of gray where different parties are in the right...depending on your perspective. That is how you write a compelling narrative, good vs. evil and all the shades in between.

The story in DA:O was like a George RR Martin story, no good or bad guys, lots of shade of gray where different parties are in the right...depending on your perspective. That is how you write a compelling narrative, good vs. evil and all the shades in between.

I've barely read any, if any at all, George RR Martin stories... but it sounds like I would hate it. It seemed to me, that EVERYONE, save the main protagonist was basically evil, or damn near it as possible in DA:O. At least, when looking at the groups.

I've barely read any, if any at all, George RR Martin stories... but it sounds like I would hate it. It seemed to me, that EVERYONE, save the main protagonist was basically evil, or damn near it as possible in DA:O. At least, when looking at the groups.

?How was anyone else in your party "evil?"

Even Morrigan had a side to hear that you uncovered as you play to give reasons as to why she acts the way she does.

Then you had the Chantry and Circle of Mages.

However you have to take into account, in the world of Dragon Age magic isn't just "magic" like in most fantasy games. When mages use magic they are tapping into power found within thei "fade" where demons and other things exist.

Many mages can make pacts with demons and other horrible things, so while you may think the Mages are in the right you have to also see from the perspective of the Chantry/Templars, as there are mages that become abominations and can do horrible things.

It's more about perspective.

For the most part, "Good" and "Evil" are descriptors of actions made by characters, not really a motivation or description of characters themselves. If you're writing a story where people are just "Good" or "Evil", then chances are, that story probably shallow.

People want to pretend that "Evil" is just "Evil", but there are actually motivations behind it. Understandable motivations. Most people you would label as "Evil" probably don't see themselves that way.

Shit, do you see the US as the "good guys" in real life? After the US' history of Eugenics, slavery, and sanitariums, and political assassinations? Honestly, real life isn't black and white either.

?How was anyone else in your party "evil?"

Even Morrigan had a side to hear that you uncovered as you play to give reasons as to why she acts the way she does.

Then you had the Chantry and Circle of Mages.

However you have to take into account, in the world of Dragon Age magic isn't just "magic" like in most fantasy games. When mages use magic they are tapping into power found within thei "fade" where demons and other things exist.

Many mages can make pacts with demons and other horrible things, so while you may think the Mages are in the right you have to also see from the perspective of the Chantry/Templars, as there are mages that become abominations and can do horrible things.

It's more about perspective.

Also Mages are vulnerable when they go to sleep, because the dreamworld is the Fade, and demons can trick them or overpower them and possess their bodies in the real world. That makes them exceptionally dangerous, even if the mages are good people.

It's a triple A title by EA, are you joking right now? This isn't a kickstarter game.

What does that have to do with it? Just because it's a triple A game, doesn't actually mean it'll be good. Just means they spent a whole lot of money on it. DA2 was a triple A game.

As for the good and evil. As I said, when you look at the groups. Mages, there are definitely okay ones here and there, but they all seem like they'd be vulnerable to the demon stuff, and even the head mage, iirc, was getting damn close to going berserk. The templars were the ones that pretty much drove them there.
The werewolves were about to slaughter the elves, who made them werewolves. Neither group really even got close to thinking of a truce.
All those nobles at the end as well, just constantly thinking about power, without realizing... that they'd be dead regardless. Same with most of them, though.

Only one that seems just as important is the templar/mages deal. Even your team mates seems like their bitching is more important then the impending death.

DA2 just made the interesting interplay from DA:O between individual liberty (mages) and group security (chantry) ridiculous. Every single mage out there turned into an abomination/blood magic. And every templar (outside of 1 or 2) was a caricature of a total self-absorbed douchebag. You pretty much hated everyone. And the stupidity of DA2 was most evident when you decide to help the mages towards the end - and then you immediately turn around and start killing a bunch of mages. Makes me pissed even thinking about it how much they botched DA2 - could have been a great game with 6 more months and a less retarded writing team.

What does that have to do with it? Just because it's a triple A game, doesn't actually mean it'll be good. Just means they spent a whole lot of money on it. DA2 was a triple A game.

As for the good and evil. As I said, when you look at the groups. Mages, there are definitely okay ones here and there, but they all seem like they'd be vulnerable to the demon stuff, and even the head mage, iirc, was getting damn close to going berserk. The templars were the ones that pretty much drove them there.
The werewolves were about to slaughter the elves, who made them werewolves. Neither group really even got close to thinking of a truce.
All those nobles at the end as well, just constantly thinking about power, without realizing... that they'd be dead regardless. Same with most of them, though.

Only one that seems just as important is the templar/mages deal. Even your team mates seems like their bitching is more important then the impending death.

DA2 really reduced the groups into some base components, which removed any subtlety.

The big problem you have, is that you're seeing groups of people as a monolith, instead of groups of individuals. I don't blame you, as DA2 pretty much reduced everything to mobs of mostly faceless NPCs or targets to attack. In Dragon Age Origins, groups often have drastically differing opinions among them, and plenty of individuals. Did you know that there are 5 or so schools of magic in Dragon Age Origins? I don't mean literal schools, as in types of spells, but schools as in differing political opinions. That made a huge impact to me, since it indicates some depth to the political climate.

As for the werewolves/elves thing, only the leader of that band of elves was responsible for making those people into werewolves. He did that because they were humans, some of which killed/possibly raped his children (don't remember if that was actually implied). He turned them into werewolves, because to him, they were already monsters. The other elves didn't know any of this, and fought against them because the werewolves blamed them all for their predicament, and also because they were made feral by the transformation. By the time you step in, several generations of elves and werewolves have passed, the leader being kept in an "immortal" state by the werewolf curse. It was a story about forgiveness and letting go, in a kind of hamfisted way, really. By the elf leader ( I wish I could remember his name) finally letting go of his anger and rage, he ends the curse and dies with the curse.

Again, this is like real life. A much, MUCH better description is of human motivation rather than "good" and "evil", is about choosing between what is right, and what is easy. People don't always have easy answers to difficult problems, so you get personally motivated answers.

DA2 just made the interesting interplay from DA:O between individual liberty (mages) and group security (chantry) ridiculous. Every single mage out there turned into an abomination/blood magic. And every templar (outside of 1 or 2) was a caricature of a total self-absorbed douchebag. You pretty much hated everyone. And the stupidity of DA2 was most evident when you decide to help the mages towards the end - and then you immediately turn around and start killing a bunch of mages. Makes me pissed even thinking about it how much they botched DA2 - could have been a great game with 6 more months and a less retarded writing team.

The individual liberty and group security comparison is damn near perfect. I like that way of summing it up.

DA2 really reduced the groups into some base components, which removed any subtlety.

The big problem you have, is that you're seeing groups of people as a monolith, instead of groups of individuals. I don't blame you, as DA2 pretty much reduced everything to mobs of mostly faceless NPCs or targets to attack. In Dragon Age Origins, groups often have drastically differing opinions among them, and plenty of individuals. Did you know that there are 5 or so schools of magic in Dragon Age Origins? I don't mean literal schools, as in types of spells, but schools as in differing political opinions. That made a huge impact to me, since it indicates some depth to the political climate.

As for the werewolves/elves thing, only the leader of that band of elves was responsible for making those people into werewolves. He did that because they were humans, some of which killed/possibly raped his children (don't remember if that was actually implied). He turned them into werewolves, because to him, they were already monsters. The other elves didn't know any of this, and fought against them because the werewolves blamed them all for their predicament, and also because they were made feral by the transformation. By the time you step in, several generations of elves and werewolves have passed, the leader being kept in an "immortal" state by the werewolf curse. It was a story about forgiveness and letting go, in a kind of hamfisted way, really. By the elf leader ( I wish I could remember his name) finally letting go of his anger and rage, he ends the curse and dies with the curse.

Again, this is like real life. A much, MUCH better description is of human motivation rather than "good" and "evil", is about choosing between what is right, and what is easy. People don't always have easy answers to difficult problems, so you get personally motivated answers.

++ Absolutely.

Back