Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

Darth_Fluffy said:
Why laser, just CnC it. As well use a plasma arch cutter to do this. Totally unnecessary precision/power whatever. Still overkill. And the laser people will most likely have to code it themselves, as the laser (also most likely) operates much like a CnC mill. So, you have to code in coordinates for circles, lines, etc, which in this case is, yes time consuming, but not difficult at all.

Cool---CnC it for me and send it over. Need it early next week. cheers.

Well, the thing is I don't have access to a CnC mill myself, so I would have to send dimensioned technical drawings to my grandpa over at Boston, and he would pass it alon to the mill techinician who would have to code it in, and do it. The other thing it they don't have any regular, transparent plexiglass. The only transparent they have is 6mm thick. The more normal thinkness plexi is all either blue, yellow, red, or smoked.

Either way, it would take way more than a week, I'd say a month at best. There seems to be a misunderstanding either way, I never actually offerend to CnC anything for you. You'd have to somehow get access/find someone else with access to a mill yourself. The laser guys could do the same thing after all, only I imagine it would be more expensive.

Damn!. ;) I was just messing with you. Well considering a custom laser etched case panel is about $60, maybe a 6" window is a bit cheaper--I think its worth it.

CrimsonSky said:
Damn!. ;) I was just messing with you. Well considering a custom laser etched case panel is about $60, maybe a 6" window is a bit cheaper--I think its worth it.
If you find a machine shop that's willing to let you work, you could do it yourself for free :). Or maybe a small price. Then again, if you can let yourself part from $60, go ahead.. I don't have much cash to throw around.

As along with everyone else.. so far top notch case.

Is it just me, or is Darth's sole purpose just to antagonize Crimsonsky?

Anyways... i'll be watching your thread --gg

Darth_Fluffy said:
If you find a machine shop that's willing to let you work, you could do it yourself for free :). Or maybe a small price. Then again, if you can let yourself part from $60, go ahead.. I don't have much cash to throw around.

I said $60 for a full sized approx. 18x18" panel. This is 6", I imagine its less money. You'd be hard-pressed to find any shop that would let people use their machinery for free

Crimson- I'm sure you don't need to hear this from me (since 1000 people have already said it) but you're doing a kick ass job. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Xport1.com does top notch laser etching. When I had my window etched all I did was send them a JPEG and they converted it to whatever format they needed (probably DXF or some other CAD file). It came out great IMO- no loss of quality or anything.

giger.jpg

Don't want to jack your thread or divert attention from your mod- the purpose was only to show that the image you send to them can be whatever file extension and you'll still get a quality product. Again- GREAT JOB and keep the updates coming!

Angel said:
As along with everyone else.. so far top notch case.

Is it just me, or is Darth's sole purpose just to antagonize Crimsonsky?

Anyways... i'll be watching your thread --gg

Nah c'mon he's cool..actually contributing now :D

mj007 said:
Xport1.com does top notch laser etching. When I had my window etched all I did was send them a JPEG and they converted it to whatever format they needed (probably DXF or some other CAD file). It came out great IMO- no loss of quality or anything.

Don't want to jack your thread or divert attention from your mod- the purpose was only to show that the image you send to them can be whatever file extension and you'll still get a quality product. Again- GREAT JOB and keep the updates coming!

Hey thanks for the props ...That is really a nice job on the etching..i should be contacting a few places soon and I'll add them to the list

wow...your painting skills are amazing...i will follow this thread till you are finished...amazing work

Crimson,
First off, let me give you mad props for the work that you have done so far, this thing rocks. I registered to say that, and that I can laser engrave that window for you. What size do you need, and all i need is the design. If you want, I can try and cleanup the glif from the game and do it. It wont even cost you anything, except some publicity in the log.

What do you say?

mj007 said:

Yes, they do EXCELLENT work

had a few custom windows made up, and the quality is beyond supurb.
All they need is a jpg, gif and they can convert it to whatever format is needed to etch it.
Great bunch of people too. Based right out of chicago

Here's a couple quick Autocad renditions I threw together of the more stripped down design. I'm posting pics with and without lineweight variences. I can basically do anything you want with these. :)

Pentastic2s.jpg

Pentastic3s.jpg

Also, let me know if you want the *.dwf files as-is.

DeathLok30040 said:
Crimson,
First off, let me give you mad props for the work that you have done so far, this thing rocks. I registered to say that, and that I can laser engrave that window for you. What size do you need, and all i need is the design. If you want, I can try and cleanup the glif from the game and do it. It wont even cost you anything, except some publicity in the log.

What do you say?

That's a generous offer--I really appreciate it.Do you do laser engraving yourself? damn I would love one of those machines.

cgrant26 said:
Here's a couple quick Autocad renditions I threw together of the more stripped down design. I'm posting pics with and without lineweight variences. I can basically do anything you want with these. :)

very nice!--I like the one with the varied lineweights--seems from the help of the kind folks here regarding laser etching that a gif or jpeg is all thats needed..hmm..gahhh!..all these choices. maybe we should all take a vote on a final design so I dont have to choose..ahhh my head! :eek:

CrimsonSky said:
damn I would love one of those machines.

You should have zapped a script and won one like someone else did.

a sign shop or trophy shop should have one and not cost more than 25-50 for a small engraving on plexi for ya. A negative engraving of that coupled with the pic I sent you would be just what you need to make an active display of that.

On Second thought randomly blinking LEDs behind that would probably project well enough and eliminate the mechanized portion of my design. Think old school Viewmaster/projector.

Awesome as usual P
edit: I'd be willing to bet that Jon Camarack would probably be willing to help you out with some exact images to make it perfect

KiSA said:
You should have zapped a script and won one like someone else did.

a sign shop or trophy shop should have one and not cost more than 25-50 for a small engraving on plexi for ya. A negative engraving of that coupled with the pic I sent you would be just what you need to make an active display of that.

On Second thought randomly blinking LEDs behind that would probably project well enough and eliminate the mechanized portion of my design. Think old school Viewmaster/projector.

Awesome as usual P

hell I'd love to do a mod with small projectors..If I had enough room in this case I'd have done some mirror tricks--::runs to the mail::

I was thinking of something else for the pentagram, but your so far along in your discussions now.....

My thoughts were some of those spotlight leds (in orange) shining on a film of the pentagram, and hook them up to a sound activator. Then when you did a windows sound file, it would flash the pentagram on a surface (to be decided by you). Maybe even through the top of the case on to the ceiling.

But the work on the case is excellent.

an idea..

after you've etched the plexi, tint the visable side *not the etched side* darkly, it shouldn't be visable, then when it lights up.. it will be visable..

just an idea..

Veeb0rg said:
an idea..

after you've etched the plexi, tint the visable side *not the etched side* darkly, it shouldn't be visable, then when it lights up.. it will be visable..

just an idea..

hey not a bad idea at all. I was planning on putting a bloody/misty stippled effect on the etched window, similar to what I did to the Far Cry cut-out.

The first pane of glass on that window box will have a bit of Mars dust on the edges, so the view inside will be more mysterious.

Veeb0rg said:
an idea..

just an idea..

that'd be sweet... on some other windows, you could etch a shadow or some blood or something..

you dont see it until the lights go on... would look killer!

keep it coming Crimson!

cgrant26 said:

http://users.mwhq.net/Headache/Pentastic2s.jpg

http://users.mwhq.net/Headache/Pentastic3s.jpg

Excellent work, though I gotta say if it COULD be done with all of the detail in the original one that would be sweet. Not to diminish what you've done in anyway cgrant26, it's hella better then anything I could do :). ph34r my totally un1337 photochop skillz ;) ...

If mashie is correct and all that is needed is a greyscale .jpg of the design, would it be possible to have someone just convert the original one (http://home.comcast.net/~chrismb/pentastic1.jpg) to a greyscale image and clean it up a little for the machine? I think if it were possible to get the fully detailed one with marine and the other hidden things included that would be great. If you're taking votes, my vote is for as close to the in game one as possible.

edit: Me fail english? That's unpossible!

A laser engraver is just a really fancy laser printer. Except instead of printing on paper it can "laser" into materials depending on the power you send to it. Most laser engravers run off Corel and they just set it up like a printer and push print when they want to engrave.

I would go to a local sign or trophy shop for the engraving. It would be a lot cheaper than sending it away. They might to it for around 25$ and you will have a faster turn around time.

If it matters I vote for the original most detailed one. :D

Crimson,
Yes, the company I work for has and does laser engraving. All I need is a final design, in just about any format.

cgrant26,
That is a pimpin pentagram. I have offered to laser engrave the design on a new window, so if he wants your, the DWF file format would be great.

Anyone Else,
If you want to Design a pentagram for the window, Illistrator, Corel Draw, or Autocad (dwf) files are the best choices.

Well I can't WAIT to see the final window with that evil looking pentagram etched in it. CrimsonSky, have you decided how you are going to illuminate it yet?

Crimson,
I am working on the window now. Question is, what is the final size of the window that you need, how big do you want the pentagram, and what type of plexi do you want it, or would glass work?

BTW, my company's website is www.northgeorgiagiclee.com

We do all sorts of short run printing, as well as laser engraving.

OK,
Here is the deal, the image that we all have of the pentagram looks great on the screen, but comes out like crap on the engraver. I am working on cleaning it up more, but it is a slow process. I am hoping that someone can help/ has already done this, or if we can get really lucky, someone from id has a good hi-res or vector of the design.

Im almost to the point of reworking the design as a vector, but that will take a weekend or so of work. F-it, im going to go ahead and startworking on a raw vector, if someone else can help, please let me know.

DeathLok30040 said:
Crimson,
I am working on the window now. Question is, what is the final size of the window that you need, how big do you want the pentagram, and what type of plexi do you want it, or would glass work?

BTW, my company's website is www.northgeorgiagiclee.com

We do all sorts of short run printing, as well as laser engraving.

That is very cool of you, I couldn't thank you enough for the kind offer. can't wait to see it!!...I think we should go with 1/4" plexi for durability and ease of mounting.The size of the plate should be 7" wide x 6.5" high. The viewable area is 6" wide x 5.24" high. Maybe you could post a pic of the image within the viewable area? That would be great--cheers

Back