Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

OK, just out of boredom, I did another one with more detail. :)

pentastic4s.jpg

EDIT: I just read DeathLoc's post. If you want a copy of the *.dwf I can furnish you that. If you have access to Autocad2004, you can play with the lineweights to get better results. There are also a couple more things I can add (like a horn on the right side that I missed)

cgrant,
if you could get me the dwf, that would be awesome, go ahead and add the extra horn.

I have been toying around with the idea of creating some items with this design on it, like costers, and the such, let me know if you are all interested

ok, please keep in mind that this was done on glass, with a really bad image to work from. once the dwf file is complted, this will look tons better.

engpent.JPG

The laser engraver does do grey scales, but there is too much haze on the image and its only 72 dpi, so that makes it much harder to work with. We are working on an autocad version that will be extremely clean, and will be able to scale smaller and larger much easier.

Also, that image is 7x7 and the digital camera i have is very slow.

Here is another shot, the camera I have shoots faster with the flash on, but then you have the glare.

IMG_8326.JPG

That doesnt look too bad at all to me--I sort of like the rough look---Maybe the cad drawing will look interesting as well. this is exciting! thanks to all for helping so far

DeathLok30040 said:
The laser engraver does do grey scales, but there is too much haze on the image and its only 72 dpi, so that makes it much harder to work with. We are working on an autocad version that will be extremely clean, and will be able to scale smaller and larger much easier.

Here is another shot, the camera I have shoots faster with the flash on, but then you have the glare.

[.IMG]http://www.northgeorgiagiclee.com/miki/images/IMG_8326.JPG[/IMG]

It think it looks badass like that.. kinda all worn out and old..

DeathLok30040 said:
ok, please keep in mind that this was done on glass, with a really bad image to work from. once the dwf file is complted, this will look tons better.

http://www.northgeorgiagiclee.com/miki/images/engpent.JPG

What brand/model/power etcher are you using? We've got a 55w ULS X-660 laser etcher at work with Corel 12 that i've been playing with. Lots o fun burning stuff! If your good at it i'd love to get some tips from you.

That's one bad problem with drawn picture and shading/highlights the laser trys to compenstate but the material can't. So your dark grays and blacks turn out the same. Anondized aluminum is really hard to do like that.

i think you should try and contact JC about getting a very hi-res version of the pentagram (or even a vector one of it, if they have it). that might be the best way to go about it with the least amount of painful work for you guys.

great work crim, i'll be following this one for awhile :)

Kyle said he had already talked to id about this mod so maybe he can get the image straight from them? That would probably be cleaner / higher res then what we are working with and might offer better results without someone having to redraw it. I mean cgrant26 is doing an excellent job but if the original image is available that would save everyone some time and effort, right?

Another possible option is digging through the .pak files to see if the original image is in there and can be found / extracted. I'm sure some people have already started playing around with the .pak files so maybe we could enlist some help getting that image...

DeathLok30040: Nice looking engraving. Even with the haze it still looks sweet. How representative of the plexi image is that glass one? The plexi won't melt / warp / discolor at all with this much detail, will it? If you end up doing some coasters or something with the image on it I'd be interested. It's owned by id though, and you'd need to get permission to use it for any commercial products. Even a work based on it might have some legal issues, I dunno.

edit: BTW, I got a friend of mine to greyscale the image and it looks a little cleaner then what CimsonSky posted so you can try either of these to see if they work better with the laser engraver.

Black on white background
pentasticBoW.jpg

White on Black Background
pentasticWoB1.jpg

Amazing stuff all the way around. This is the first thread I check in the morning, again after lunch and then just before I hit the rack (after an hour or two of demon killing of course). Now I wanna have a panel etched.

DeathLok30040 said:
All,
I have spoken with my partners, and we can do window etching on 1/4 plexi for $30 + shipping. That will cover a window size up to 18x24. All we need is the graphic.

Check out www.northgeorgiagiclee.com for our contact info.

If I had a CNC I would do it at cost for you. $2 plexi + 5 shipping
But I'm nice. :) LOL

Hey I might be interested in buying one of the etched glass/plexi windows for my case. Since you're already going through the trouble of making 1 for Crimson.

Even though my case is plain. I could really use an etched window!

DeathLok30040 said:
All,
I have spoken with my partners, and we can do window etching on 1/4 plexi for $30 + shipping. That will cover a window size up to 18x24. All we need is the graphic.

Be nice, it'll be good for business to do it for free... ask him to mention your company in somewhere.

Btw, this case leaves me speechless. It brings to mind the old adage: "A picture is worth a thousand words". That doesn't even begin, look how many posts there have been complimenting and giving suggestions.

I just saw this today, but I'll be sticking around this post for a while. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Good work crimson!

DeathLok30040 said:
All,

Have you gotten a look at either of these? Did either of them help / work out any better then the initial one posted by CrimsonSky?

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/1935/pentasticBoW.jpg

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/4323/pentasticWoB1.jpg

dotZIP said:
Be nice, it'll be good for business to do it for free... ask him to mention your company in somewhere.
He is doing the one for CrimsonSky for free in exchange for some publicity (which this case will DEFINATELY get). I think he means if anyone ELSE wants anything done for them his company can do it and will be charging the price mentioned... AFAIK

umop apisdn said:
Have you gotten a look at either of these? Did either of them help / work out any better then the initial one posted by CrimsonSky?

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/1935/pentasticBoW.jpg

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/4323/pentasticWoB1.jpg

He is doing the one for CrimsonSky for free in exchange for some publicity (which this case will DEFINATELY get). I think he means if anyone ELSE wants anything done for them his company can do it and will be charging the price mentioned... AFAIK
sounds like that to me... i agree with contacting id for the image, kyle? also get this mad a custom title

I have already agreed to do the window for crimson for free. The quick price I quoted included the plexi and engraving time. This is for any window design, not just the pentagram.

DeathLok30040 said:

IMG_8326.JPG

WOW

If you can get Id's permission to produce mass quantities of windows like that, they'll sell like hotcakes for sure.

If you take that autocad file, you can import it into Adobe Illustrator, and really make a crisp image.

Here's one I made in autocad and cleaned up in illustrator
(not the doom logo)
http://www.zomb.us/pics/cross.gif

Also, what if you etched the coated side of a peice of mirror.
would the laser etch away the mirror coating and allow some light (assuming orange) to show from behind?

c44u said:
WOW

If you can get Id's permission to produce mass quantities of windows like that, they'll sell like hotcakes for sure.
I'd buy two (really!). :eek:

Been watching, haven't said a word yet until now.

I like the way the window looks now, like Crimson said, kinda worn and such. However, we can't really tell what it will look like once lighted. I think it is important to get an idea of what that panel will look like with lighting similar to what Crimson will be using himself on the mod.

BTW, as mentioned previously, those Airlock doors are insane. Great work, I wish I was as artistic as you! :D

DeathLok30040 said:
I have already agreed to do the window for crimson for free. The quick price I quoted included the plexi and engraving time. This is for any window design, not just the pentagram.

Very cool, I might be getting one. :)

OK, DeathLoc has got the ACAD drawing to worrk with now. We should be seeing the results fairly soon. :)
Crimson, I'm really excited to be able to contribute to this project. I feel like this is your genetically engineered child, but with many of us donating bits of DNA. :D

cgrant26 said:
OK, DeathLoc has got the ACAD drawing to worrk with now. We should be seeing the results fairly soon. :)
Crimson, I'm really excited to be able to contribute to this project. I feel like this is your genetically engineered child, but with many of us donating bits of DNA. :D

Eeew. Bad mental images! :eek:

Awesome work Crimson. Any progress on getting the airlock doors to work on their own?

cgrant26 said:

I'm glad to have the help on this one--all the ideas and generous offers are giving this project a lot of [H] pride :D

SilverMK3 said:
Eeew. Bad mental images! :eek:

Awesome work Crimson. Any progress on getting the airlock doors to work on their own?

That will be a couple weeks off. I am working on mounting the doors though--have to take this carefully in order for the mechanism to work properly and consistently--has to be robust as well since it is a moving part ;)

This mod is looking pretty damn cool so far (tracking progress daily during slack moments at work), and it's good to see someone working on a case the same model as mine. On the subject of Orac3 a few pages back, I really liked it - really tidy in terms of component concealment, and shiny too!

Back to the subject in hand, the pentagram - the one done so far does look amazing. Any chance of seeing it lit red? Even if you have to stick it in front of your drive light and run Defrag! :D

The updated graphics look cleaner than the current one, but will it look any better given the technical capability of the device? Maybe the contrast will need to be tweaked a bit too, as a little scratch will won't be nearly clear. In other words, it'll be harder to get the feint greys. (I hope that makes sense to some people!)

Ok,
I got the AutoCad dwf file, but I cannot get AI or Draw to import it. Im looking for a way to get it converted. Any idaea?

I love the fact that I am getting to add to this case. On of the things I wanted to do with the laser when we first got it was custom case windows. Im hoping that this turns into a good business. We are looking at getting an aadditional laser, and I am trying to convince the owners that we need a YaG. That would allow me to cut sheet metal as well as all the other things that my CO2 will cut/engrave.

Absolutely amazing job on this mod....love it.

Just wanted to put my two cents in about the "pentegram" that is being talked about.

I shall be flamed as a Mr. Smarty Pants....but that image is a pentacle...not a pentegram....the difference is that a pentegram is a 5 pointed star. The Pentacle is the same star enclosed by a circle.

How do I know? Well when I sacrifice goats to get Windows XP to boot for me....I have to make sure i am using a Pentegram as that is the devils symbol...the pentacle is used by witches mostly and represent elements....

Wanna make sure the goats soul goes to the devil ya know...(aka Billy Gates) :D

/dons flame-retardant underwear

Well I joined up so I can post. Must say it looks very nice indeed. I grew up building plastic models myself so I can relate to the enjoyment you must be having at this moment. I went from building plastic Airplanes to balsa RC airplanes then to flying Cessna's. I must say I like the glass etch work, keeping in mind that even though it's not perfect when it's painted up and illuminated alot of the imperfections will be used as a highlight and can only improve on the looks. It's not perfect in the game, it glows in the game very fuzzy on the edges of the pentagram.
CrimsonSky have you thought of just trying to use a frosting paint on plexi for the design rather than an etch? You could add some UV reactive stuff to the frost paint so it would react to any UV CCFL's in the case. Just an Idea.

DeathLok30040 said:
Ok,
I got the AutoCad dwf file, but I cannot get AI or Draw to import it. Im looking for a way to get it converted. Any idaea?

I love the fact that I am getting to add to this case. On of the things I wanted to do with the laser when we first got it was custom case windows. Im hoping that this turns into a good business. We are looking at getting an aadditional laser, and I am trying to convince the owners that we need a YaG. That would allow me to cut sheet metal as well as all the other things that my CO2 will cut/engrave.

you need to save it as a DXF, or DWG.
Also, did you use any polylines? illustrator dosen't like to import polylines.

Ok,

Got the ACAD file converted and ran a quick test.

IMG_8335.JPG

All the lines are razor thin, aka, hairline. On my laser, that translate to about .003 in. The feeling here is that the first one looks better from a "burned in" kind of feel vs. the extremely clean lines from the autocad.

how can i light this to make the glass glow for some good dark glowing shots?

if you have a spare psu and a 4" or 6" CCFL just put it along an edge. You can use foil to mask the stray light and concentrate.

You need to make the lines much thicker, like in the game. The lines are'nt that thin and sharp in the game.

cgrant26 said:

Ummm maybe thats a bad analogy.

Put your lotion away, Crimson doesn't need you to make DNA donations. Crimson dont post your physical address. :) lol j/k

BTW, the sample looks great, though it could use a little bolder lines.

Maybe just re-run it with the glass just offset 1/64 (vert & horiz) of an inch so all lines are doubled. (know what I mean?)

DeathLok30040 said:
Ok,

Got the ACAD file converted and ran a quick test.

http://www.northgeorgiagiclee.com/miki/images/IMG_8335.JPG

All the lines are razor thin, aka, hairline. On my laser, that translate to about .003 in. The feeling here is that the first one looks better from a "burned in" kind of feel vs. the extremely clean lines from the autocad.

how can i light this to make the glass glow for some good dark glowing shots?

Yeah, they are going to be thin in illustrator, if that's what you're using.
Once it's in illustrator, you can play with the line weights.

.25 pt = .0035"
.5 pt = .0069"
.75 pt = .0104"
1 pt = .0139"
2 pt = .0278"
3 pt = .0417"
etc.... 1 pt = 1/72 of an inch.

just lovin this mod....one of the best I have seen in a long time....I do agree that the lines are a little too thin on the ACAD version...how much work would it be to make those lines thicker and getting it a little closer to the first one?

Changing the line weights in the vector image is an easy thing to do. We are working on getting a CCF light to do some night shots.

I've waited for some time to post any thoughts on this...it's really begining to be more of a piece of art than a mere case mod...great stuff, just awe inspiring...

Back