Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

Great stuff Crimson, been following from the start. Can't wait to see how it all comes together and turns out. Geez, and to think I was real happy with myself when I installed a new RED LED fan...

woah... nice work. Can't wait to see the finished case!

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG, wow....I think I just jizzed in my pants.....I would hate to be the next person sitting at this desk....haha

That thing is a work of art, should be displayed for all to see when you are done!

Crimson, been following this mod since its beginning. You sir are truly an artist. Best case mod I've ever seen.....the airlock detail and frame detail are simply incredible.

Can't want to see more pics!

Kared

Snakebyt said:
best case ever... great work

This might be an understatement.

I rarely look at a case mod and wonder "how did he do that" But yours is so far beyond any ability that I have. Do you do some kind of miniature building for a living? If not, maybe you should look into it.

Darth_Fluffy said:
And I remember playing Duke Nukem 3D, and in the church chapel there was the dead marine from Doom in the secret. This is just as relevant.
Well maybe someone could use that in a DNF casemod. Unfortunately we'll never see the finished product :rolleyes:

Crimson: fsckin amazing work. maybe i missed it in all the discussion about the case, but what hardware will be in there? since nV is pushing their card as the best for D3 (rightfully so for now....i guess...) can we expect a 6800 in it?

vexter said:
This might be an understatement.

I rarely look at a case mod and wonder "how did he do that" But yours is so far beyond any ability that I have. Do you do some kind of miniature building for a living? If not, maybe you should look into it.

good question, your work is sooo amazing, i am also wondering what you do?
:D

wolrahnaes said:
Crimson: fsckin amazing work. maybe i missed it in all the discussion about the case, but what hardware will be in there? since nV is pushing their card as the best for D3 (rightfully so for now....i guess...) can we expect a 6800 in it?

I can bet you, he can get sponsors for any piece of hardware out there that he wants to put in that case.

Just a thought.

BTW, outstanding job man. Keep up the excellent work, you should be proud of your talent, and the repsonses its getting.

By the way, for glow effects you can use fluorescent paint and UV LEDs. One LED is powerful enough to activate a UV-reactive poster in a dark room. You would have to place 4 together to double the light intensity, though. Or 16 to triple it.

The Greatness Of your modding ability, airbrushing skill, plastic fabrication skills, etc.... are unmatchable of any modders ive seen, if there was a genis book of world record for the greatest case mods ever made your cases FUCKING OWN! though all that would be concidered an understatement...... you are god!

Just another wow this case is awesome post.

Seriously one of the most detailed cases I have ever seen, great work.

there is a point where things stop being a piece of utility and become a work of art.

you have crossed way over that line.

awesome mod, like all others you made. when are you planing to update your site Crimson Sky?

I gotta say man, simply the greatest mod I've ever witnessed...and it ain't even done yet!

But I got a question that wasn't explained in detail in the worklog. How exactly did you make the airlock doors and casing? I mean, the actual plastic portion....Did you make specs and send it off for fabrication? I don't see how you could have made them yourself so perfectly! :confused:

PlagueH4 said:
awesome mod, like all others you made. when are you planing to update your site Crimson Sky?

Will update soon as I have time--I'm working on other important projects besides Doom3, so there's not much time for the website.

Small update:

Created a pattern for an etched pentagram that will live behind the small window on the side. Once I have it etched I'll light it and do a mockup on the case.

The 1/4" plexi piece was first covered in blue masking tape. After that a printout of the pentagram was applied using spray mount adhesive. With an Xacto blade I scored the pattern down to the plexi, and then removed the protective layers. I coat of flat black paint was sprayed on as a guide for etching, then all the paper/masking tape was removed.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/pent_window.jpg

With a carbide bit I started removing the paint and etching the surface. The X-acto blade created a nice channel in the plexi for the bit to follow along in. Once etching is complete, I'll polish the edges of the plexi, mount the window and install lighting.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/pent_etch-(3).jpg

IdiotBoy said:
I gotta say man, simply the greatest mod I've ever witnessed...and it ain't even done yet!

But I got a question that wasn't explained in detail in the worklog. How exactly did you make the airlock doors and casing? I mean, the actual plastic portion....Did you make specs and send it off for fabrication? I don't see how you could have made them yourself so perfectly! :confused:

It was all done by hand using various plastic sheeting. No drawings, no specs, the pattern was laid out in my head, and then with pencil on the plastic. Tools used were utility knife, Dremel drum sanding bit and a pencil. It's all glued together with cyanoacrylate adhesive--basically superglue. :)

vexter said:

;) I have about 28 years model building experience. I think one of the first kit models I built was Big Daddy Roth's Mysterion

CrimsonSky said:
It was all done by hand using various plastic sheeting. No drawings, no specs, the pattern was laid out in my head, and then with pencil on the plastic. Tools used were utility knife, Dremel drum sanding bit and a pencil. It's all glued together with cyanoacrylate adhesive--basically superglue. :)

:eek: And this is exactly why I could never ever build anything nearly as cool as the scraps left over by building this amazing wonder of art and technology!!

I could not fabricate pieces like that by hand with just the design in my head...it would most likely come out looking like some demented 5-year-old's ashtray/sculpture they made in art class. :(

IdiotBoy said:
:eek: And this is exactly why I could never ever build anything nearly as cool as the scraps left over by building this amazing wonder of art and technology!!

I could not fabricate pieces like that by hand with just the design in my head...it would most likely come out looking like some demented 5-year-old's ashtray/sculpture they made in art class. :(

If you really love to use your hands, you can build anything. I've made lots of deformed ashtrays, but I never gave up :D

Great Modding and Modeling Skills. I love seeing work of other artist..nothing against the mods of engineers ;) . I have always thought your mods were very good but I think this one will stand out as one of the greats. GJ.

Crims, I was sitting here at work, thinking about your mod.
The flashlight comment came to mind.
Did you have any plans to fabricate say, mini spotlights into this? Or something along the lines of a static lighting fixture?

Once the etching was complete, I polished the edges of the plexi in preperation for the 4" CCFL lights. One red, one yellow will light the edges. I'll use the same automotive CCFL's I used for Metropolis . They are really bright and the colors are true.

Here is the etching in the window box you've seen before. There are two panes of glass, one in front and one behind, with the etching:

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/window_etch_2-(3).jpg

here is a cheesy photochop enhancment:

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/window_etch_2-(1).jpg

Outcompute_123 said:
Crims, I was sitting here at work, thinking about your mod.
The flashlight comment came to mind.
Did you have any plans to fabricate say, mini spotlights into this? Or something along the lines of a static lighting fixture?

I was thinking about a few miniature floodlights on the outside of the building--pointing towards the Martian landscape. There will also be some superbright LED's here and there, like up on the roof.

eh, not to thread hijack, so pls don't take it as so... but IMO the lighting in doom3 WAS the cake... and quite a tastey one at that, lol.

Kamel well yes you could say that!, however you look at it I just wanted to bring to light (no pun intended :D) the significance of the lighting!

this is the most amazing mod I have ever seen so far my only complaint is that it isnt done LOL I keep coming back hoping to see the tiniest update because everyone floors me with how detailed it is..

Back