Doom Eternal

GMG is selling this cheap so I took a shot. I am having the freezing issue that a lot of people seemed to never fully figure out. Anyone got anything on that or am I headed for a refund? I liked the 5 minutes or so that I got to play it.

I had a similar issue, but I found it related to GPU overslocking, had to set my 2080Ti back to stock. may not be the issue you're encountering.

This game is fucking infuriating as its too damn hard for me. I have no problems admitting I suck as I am not a competitive gamer at all but I never had any issues with Doom 2016. About an hour into this game I die over and over and over even on the easiest damn difficulty setting. No way to do a refund either.

Yeah, the game is really hard but not impossible. You have to be strategic. Make sure to use the chainsaw when you get getting low on health/ammo.

If you are fighting a big monster, try to pick off some small guys every now and then to get items from them.

Also read the tips on the loading screen. Many monsters can only be killed using a certain weapon, and if you know their weak spot you can kill them easily.

I am playing on easy for reason so I cant figure out why they made it so hard. Doom 2016 was never even a challenge until the final boss so I expected the same here on the same difficulty setting. It is just money down the drain now as I have lost all interest in doing the same fights a dozen times in a row.

I am playing on easy
You are correct, the game is a lot less casual accessible than any of the previous titles. They made quite a few changes with this title that caused a lot of negative feedback from long term fans of the series.

That said you can always download a trainer for the game, it's a third party app which lets you enable things like more health, ammo, damage etc (basically single player cheats). After a while of playing with the trainer enabled you might just get the hang of the game enough to the point where you won't need it anymore.

You are correct, the game is a lot less casual accessible than any of the previous titles. They made quite a few changes with this title that caused a lot of negative feedback from long term fans of the series.

That said you can always download a trainer for the game, it's a third party app which lets you enable things like more health, ammo, damage etc (basically single player cheats). After a while of playing with the trainer enabled you might just get the hang of the game enough to the point where you won't need it anymore.
Yeah I know what trainers are as I have been gaming for 20 years but had not looked one for this game yet. I did look around today and found a trainer to use but it does sort of kill the game with infinite health on knowing I cant die at all. I think I will play around with some of the other options in the trainer and only use infinite health if I cant get through an area after a few tries. They really should have left the easiest setting just like it was in Doom 2016 though.

On the subject of hard games I used to hate Control and I complained quite a bit on the discord about how stupid with it was to have only difficulty setting. Luckily they had that update which allowed some assist options and the game is now enjoyable. One game I wasted money on and will never finish is Bloodborne and its my own fault for not paying closer attention to the type of game it was and Sony's return policy.

I am playing on easy for reason so I cant figure out why they made it so hard. Doom 2016 was never even a challenge until the final boss so I expected the same here on the same difficulty setting. It is just money down the drain now as I have lost all interest in doing the same fights a dozen times in a row.
What are you finding difficult about it? If you are playing like you did in 2016 then I can understand why you're having a hard time. Admittedly, Eternal is pretty hard at the start, but it starts to get easier as you unlock more guns and abilities. You need to keep on the move and not neglect your chainsaw or glory kills.

What are you finding difficult about it? If you are playing like you did in 2016 then I can understand why you're having a hard time. Admittedly, Eternal is pretty hard at the start, but it starts to get easier as you unlock more guns and abilities. You need to keep on the move and not neglect your chainsaw or glory kills.
I just have a really slow reaction time and do not do good in crazy fast-paced scenarios. It's one of the reasons I don't care anything about multiplayer games. I usually play most games with my Xbox one controller but it was laughable trying to play this game with it and I don't know how the console players do it as I feel keyboard mouse are almost a must. I had thought about asking if it would actually get any easier but it's been my experience that most games actually get harder as you progress.

the key to Doom Eternal is that you always need to be on the move...keep track of your Health/Armor/Ammo and use the appropriate tool to refill...if you stay still too long you'll die...most of the battle arenas are pretty big so there's plenty of room...once you get used to the rhythm of the gameplay then you'll find it much easier...a lot of the enemies on the various level are just fodder and don't pose a real threat, they are just there for you to glory kill or chainsaw so you can refill your stats

I haven't played the DLC yet but I hear that it's even more difficult- I love it!

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part Two DLC is releasing next week (March 18th) according to rumors circulating online

more publishers need to just release new content with little to no advance buildup...

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part Two | Official Trailer

Experience the epic conclusion to the DOOM Slayer’s saga – available March 18th, 2021...

that looks sweet but what the well is going on?! the slayer riding a dragon and that guy in warhammer armor?!?! man i need to catch up on doom....

Release and Update 5 notes:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/782330/view/3029206676575277391

The update that adds Ancient Gods Part 2 and noted changes/fixes is a 11.1GB download on Steam.
1616102828033.png

that looks sweet but what the well is going on?! the slayer riding a dragon and that guy in warhammer armor?!?! man i need to catch up on doom....
Warhammer guy is a new boss called The Dark Lord.
1616102717732.png

Unfortunately that is how it works most of the time these days. You're just buying a "key" to unlock the content.
Yep, I'm aware. The only reason I even reinstalled it was to test a few things out. I skipped DLC1, I'll skip DLC2 until some crazy sale in the whenever-future.

what happened to the promised Invasion feature (players can invade other players game as a Demon)?...and ray-tracing support?...the 2nd DLC would have been the perfect time to add it...now without any future planned story DLC's the game will gradually level off

what happened to the promised Invasion feature (players can invade other players game as a Demon)?...and ray-tracing support?...the 2nd DLC would have been the perfect time to add it...now without any future planned story DLC's the game will gradually level off
I think they're hoping that Invasion would just die off quietly if they don't talk about it. I was really looking forward to that feature, too. I don't have any hope for ray tracing because they were similarly as vague when they revealed the "next gen" update.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en...u3ggZwHtQq/upgrading-doom-eternal-to-next-gen

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part Two | Official Trailer

Experience the epic conclusion to the DOOM Slayer’s saga – available March 18th, 2021...

What the fuck is even happening in Eternal. Like, the Doom 2016 retelling I get, that was cool and fine.

Now we're literally riding dragons, watching a Megazord chin check a building sized demon, and fighting a Warhammer 40k space marine with a magic hammer.

What the fuck is even happening in Eternal. Like, the Doom 2016 retelling I get, that was cool and fine.

Now we're literally riding dragons, watching a Megazord chin check a building sized demon, and fighting a Warhammer 40k space marine with a magic hammer.
scroll up a few posts. i was confused and there are answers above. except for the zord....

The First 12 Minutes of Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods DLC Part 2- Nightmare Difficulty

If you haven't even played Eternal then you are going to be extremely confused. They show the giant mecha right at the beginning of the game. In the first level you see ARC Mechs strewn about the ruins of Earth. The ones used by the Night Sentinels which you see in the above trailer are called Atlan. Doom Slayer has the torso of one hanging in his Doom Fortress. There is also an entire map where dormant Atlans are strewn about with their weapons embedded in the corpses of some of those giant demons.

From the base game:

1616160582134.png

1616160483888.png

Beyond that, The Ancient Gods really throws the story for a loop, as there is quite the twist you learn about the Doom Slayer. You really have to play it to understand what is going on.

Can anyone who's played these two DLCs comment on whether the ridiculous platforming is still present?

I made it through the Doom Eternal game, but I hated every second of all the platforming puzzles.

I'd genuinely like to try the DLCs, but only if the platforming is gone!

The platforming is still present in both DLCs, but IMHO it's not that bad not to play them.
Didn't have a particular big problem with dancing in the arena to begin with, however when " the only thing they fear is you" but get stuck on a wall by accident and they are like puppies on you... :cautious:

The platforming is still present in both DLCs, but IMHO it's not that bad not to play them.
Didn't have a particular big problem with dancing in the arena to begin with, however when " the only thing they fear is you" but get stuck on a wall by accident and they are like puppies on you... :cautious:
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. I enjoyed Eternal, but am very much an old-school FPS player, so the platforming is annoying. I'll probably pick these up eventually just so I can wrap up the whole game.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. I enjoyed Eternal, but am very much an old-school FPS player, so the platforming is annoying. I'll probably pick these up eventually just so I can wrap up the whole game.
I had to force myself through the first DLC due to the incessant and obnoxious platforming. This recent one doesn't seem as annoying so far, but I'm just not having fun anymore.
FWIW I didn't even mind in the base game, but the DLC is literally Hugo Martin doubling down on everything that was shit in the base game and ratcheting it up to 99999x.
I hate what he has done to this franchise. Doom 2016 was pure minimalist perfection.

I had to force myself through the first DLC due to the incessant and obnoxious platforming. This recent one doesn't seem as annoying so far, but I'm just not having fun anymore.
FWIW I didn't even mind in the base game, but the DLC is literally Hugo Martin doubling down on everything that was shit in the base game and ratcheting it up to 99999x.
I hate what he has done to this franchise. Doom 2016 was pure minimalist perfection.
I'm not thrilled with all the bullet sponges they added in the DLC, as that is just a tactic to artificially increase the difficulty. However, I absolutely do like where the series has gone. It is now a beautifully choreographed ballet of heart-pounding destruction in a vast multiverse that has me craving more.

I'm disappointed that the 2nd DLC is apparently not as difficult as the first DLC...it's also really short...probably COVID related but I hope id Software didn't lower the difficulty because of a small but vocal minority who complained about it

I'm disappointed that the 2nd DLC is apparently not as difficult as the first DLC...it's also really short...probably COVID related but I hope id Software didn't lower the difficulty because of a small but vocal minority who complained about it
There is nothing inherently _difficult_ about either of the DLCs (or the base game for that matter) - the gameplay loop itself is surprisingly simple.
The issue is the feature bloat and overdesigned "systems" which _force_ a certain gameplay style courtesy of Hugo Martin thinking Doom has to be a mash-up of pop-culture.
He said it himself "many players played Doom 2016 _wrong_ and it's painful". That's arrogance and this insistence on "play my way or don't" ruined Doom Eternal and the DLCs for me.

Back