Doom Eternal

so developers cannot evolve gameplay
Of course they can, just don't expect everyone to be receptive to the changes in a positive manner. The more they change the core game loop the more they should expect negative criticism coming their way - especially from the fan base of their previous titles.

There is also the argument that heavy-handedly pulling mechanics from other genres into your game, which happens to be a completely different genre, is way more than 'evolving' gameplay. It's almost like the developers wanted to make a survival game but the publisher said "no thank you, just make more doom" and they kinda mingled ideas from their survival pitch into this title. It's an ok game but the 2016 release is the better 'Doom' game, by far.

Of course they can, just don't expect everyone to be receptive to the changes in a positive manner. The more they change the core game loop the more they should expect negative criticism coming their way - especially from the fan base of their previous titles.

There is also the argument that heavy-handedly pulling mechanics from other genres into your game, which happens to be a completely different genre, is way more than 'evolving' gameplay. It's almost like the developers wanted to make a survival game but the publisher said "no thank you, just make more doom" and they kinda mingled ideas from their survival pitch into this title. It's an ok game but the 2016 release is the better 'Doom' game, by far.

if you think Doom Eternal is a survival game then you've never played a survival game...running low on ammo/health/armor does not make a FPS a survival game...Doom 2016 was a fast faced game and they made Eternal even moreso...they want the player to constantly be on the move...the new mechanics fit perfectly into the speed of the gameplay...shoot/chainsaw/flame belch/glory kill become second nature and you don't even have to think about it after an hour or 2

if you're standing around thinking OK I need to use my chainsaw now or I need to do a Glory Kill then you're not playing it correctly...

so developers cannot evolve gameplay and need to keep it the exact same way as previous games?...no changes at all?...Doom Eternal is the exact same core Doom gameplay with some additional mechanics...why is it so hard to adjust to using a chainsaw for ammo, flame belch for armor and glory kills for health?

They are of course free to do it. To not expect it to be polarizing is short-sighted. Both sides have valid points. To tell people they aren’t good at the game because they don’t like it, like you do is beyond silly. I’ve played games WAY more difficult than Eternal and loved every second. I’d estimate I like Eternal 60-70% as much as I like 2016 or Doom 3. Because I don’t enjoy playing it as much. Simple as that. I’ve really tried to get into it. It’s not too difficult, the mechanics are tedious to me. It feels like work, hence, I play it a bit at a time. I still play it because I WANT to like it. But... it’s tedious. I like SOME survival type games. This is a weird mixture for me though that doesn’t quite blend in a way that I find FUN. I play games to have FUN, whether the fun comes from the play, the challenge, the atmosphere, or all of the above.

If you didn’t like some game that I rave about (and in the past there have been a couple ;) ) I wouldn’t say “it’s just because you suck at it”.

Reactions: Ryom
like this
They are of course free to do it. To not expect it to be polarizing is short-sighted. Both sides have valid points. To tell people they aren’t good at the game because they don’t like it, like you do is beyond silly. I’ve played games WAY more difficult than Eternal and loved every second. I’d estimate I like Eternal 60-70% as much as I like 2016 or Doom 3. Because I don’t enjoy playing it as much. Simple as that. I’ve really tried to get into it. It’s not too difficult, the mechanics are tedious to me. It feels like work, hence, I play it a bit at a time. I still play it because I WANT to like it. But... it’s tedious. I like SOME survival type games. This is a weird mixture for me though that doesn’t quite blend in a way that I find FUN. I play games to have FUN, whether the fun comes from the play, the challenge, the atmosphere, or all of the above.

If you didn’t like some game that I rave about (and in the past there have been a couple ;) ) I wouldn’t say “it’s just because you suck at it”.

I'll rephrase it...it's not that people suck...it's that people don't want to take the time to learn new mechanics...they want it to be exactly the same as Doom 2016...humans hate change...also I feel that relatively 'hard' or challenging games are not what most people like...I personally love it...a challenge is what I live for in gaming...90% of games are pretty easy and are basically interactive stories...when a game forces you to master its mechanics you appreciate it so much more

watch some YouTube videos of people playing Eternal and tell me that's not fun...you're literally moving at all times...when everything comes together and you're just going off of pure adrenaline and instinct (chainsaw for ammo, flame belch for armor, glory kills for health, fast switching weapons etc) it's an adrenaline rush

Last edited:
I'll rephrase it...it's not that people suck...it's that people don't want to take the time to learn new mechanics...they want it to be play exactly the same as Doom 2016...humans hate change...also I feel that relatively 'hard' or challenging games are not what most people like...I personally love it...a challenge is what I live for in gaming...90% of games are pretty easy and are basically interactive stories...when a game forces you to master its mechanics you appreciate it so much more

watch some YouTube videos of people playing Eternal and tell me that's not fun...you're literally moving at all times...when everything comes together and you're just going off of pure adrenaline and instinct (chainsaw for ammo, flame belch for armor, glory kills for health, fast switching weapons etc) it's an adrenaline rush

Great. It's also a huge annoyance when you can't just play based on skill and blast/avoid stuff.
Doom 2016 (and earlier id titles) worked really well because the player was able to create their own playstyle.
Doom Eternal has none of that experimentation (more so at higher difficulty levels) because everything except what the designers envision is worthless.
It feels "over-designed" and if your argument is "watch these YT players and see how they do it" then that just further validates that.

Coincidentally when I played Eternal for the first time at Quakecon last year there were many others who shared that opinion.

In Doom Eternal you have to constantly keep track of what counters what, rock-paper-scissors style which I personally find tedious in an FPS.
I'd argue this makes the game more mechanical rather than skill/adrenaline based.
If I was looking for that I'd pick up an action-RPG or Dark Souls - Doom (except Doom 3 but I like that for other reasons) is for running and blasting shit with half of my brain shut off.

I'll rephrase it...it's not that people suck...it's that people don't want to take the time to learn new mechanics...they want it to be play exactly the same as Doom 2016...humans hate change...also I feel that relatively 'hard' or challenging games are not what most people like...I personally love it...a challenge is what I live for in gaming...90% of games are pretty easy and are basically interactive stories...when a game forces you to master its mechanics you appreciate it so much more

I get what you’re saying, and maybe to some degree you’re correct. However, I DO understand the mechanics, and for whatever reason, I don’t find it fun, and actually fairly tedious.

Those YouTube players can enjoy it all they want. If this particular mixture speaks to you, then cool, you have one hell of a game to enjoy. Me personally, 2016 was pretty spot-on. The mechanics were absolutely transparent. My mind settled in, and I lost track of time while my hands and subconscious did the rest. Truly an id Software experience. Not some id-Eidos-Ubi mashup style. I say that only to illustrate my point. I believe Eternal is better than that label would imply. Just not my style, for an id game.

I eventually just gave up on this game and uninstalled it this week. That's after 4 separate attempts to play and enjoy it. I felt like the game was constantly pushing me to play a certain way and, frankly, I just didn't enjoy it. The game was tough enough where deviating from their pre-prescribed plan was beyond my skills, too. I enjoyed the hell out of the last Doom game and I've played through all of the other id shooters over the years. I didn't find it fun. Simple as that.

I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I'm with Domingo, that's been my thoughts about this iteration of Doom as well. I am just not having fun with it either so I stopped playing. I really liked 2016 though and yes, I knew that this version would be different but I was willing to try something new, I understand the mechanics but it just isn't appealing to me. Why play something if you aren't having fun? I've moved on to other games.

Great. It's also a huge annoyance when you can't just play based on skill and blast/avoid stuff.
Doom 2016 (and earlier id titles) worked really well because the player was able to create their own playstyle.
Doom Eternal has none of that experimentation (more so at higher difficulty levels) because everything except what the designers envision is worthless.
It feels "over-designed" and if your argument is "watch these YT players and see how they do it" then that just further validates that.

every sequel evolves over its predecessor...Tomb Raider to Rise of the Tomb Raider, Human Revolution to Mankind Divided, Rage to Rage 2 etc...it's only natural to introduce new mechanics and features...people keep acting like Doom Eternal is completely different...it's not, it's the same as Doom 2016 with a few tweaks...people just give up or make up their mind after playing for an hour versus taking the time to master the new mechanics...I didn't like the new Eternal chainsaw/ammo etc mechanic when it was first introduced but after an hour or 2 things just clicked and you see why the developers did what they did

I felt the same way when I first started playing and came real close to uninstalling it. But I kept on and eventually had to lower the diff to easy cuz I was gettin my ass handed to me. But overall, I did enjoy the game.

I just started really playing the game and one question - does all this platform jumping and trying to grab onto the handholds to swing to other things ever end or go away or is it a new mechanic that exists in the entire game?

I just started really playing the game and one question - does all this platform jumping and trying to grab onto the handholds to swing to other things ever end or go away or is it a new mechanic that exists in the entire game?
It lasts the whole game. It is a heavily-used mechanic. That, and the wall-climbing, and the air-dashing.

Doom Eternal running at 1,000 fps on a liquid nitrogen cooled PC

Earlier this year id's lead engine programmer said that id Tech 7 powering Doom Eternal could run at 1,000 fps...Bethesda recruited Polish hardware retailer x-kom to figure out how to run Doom Eternal at 1,000 frames per second...then they did it...
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K @ 6.6GHz
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI APEX
  • GPU: ASUS RTX2080Ti Strix @ 2.4GHz
  • RAM: HyperX Predator 4000MHz CL19 2x8GB
  • Drive: Samsung 512GB M.2 NVMe Evo Plus
  • Power: Be Quiet 1200W Straight Power

1598467940494.gif

without a monitor that can handle that fps, pretty pointless.

Because they could. :D That's usually a good enough reason for most things. id made the claim about their engine doing this before release, so SOMEONE needed to try it. This site comes to mind as a good example. :p

Yeah this! If you say our engine can handled 1000 FPS then someone is going to try it. The engine is amazing.

Top tier human limit is around the 400fps mark from what I know. Anything beyond a human can’t perceive it, and 400fps is way way top tier performer end. Your average person that is younger and with training generally will have difficulty perceiving much beyond low/mid 100 FPS range.

No idea what my threshold is, but I can tell the difference between 90Hz and 120Hz on my phone. Both look great, but I'd say there's a pretty clear difference to me. Outside of crazy interpolation on a TV, I don't know if I've ever seen seen 240Hz before.

DOOM Eternal– The Ancient Gods, Part One Official Trailer

looking good...people were complaining about the Marauder enemy so the final shot of the trailer is the player facing off against 2 Marauders :D

available October 20th...

No idea what my threshold is, but I can tell the difference between 90Hz and 120Hz on my phone. Both look great, but I'd say there's a pretty clear difference to me. Outside of crazy interpolation on a TV, I don't know if I've ever seen seen 240Hz before.

From everyone I've spoken to, going to 240Hz from 144 is not really noticeable.

But going to144Hz from 240 is almost night and day.

From everyone I've spoken to, going to 240Hz from 144 is not really noticeable.

But going to144Hz from 240 is almost night and day.

It's sort of odd. Going from 60-144hz is insane in the difference. Going from 144hz to 240hz is pretty noticeable, but not nearly as much. But yes, going back to 144hz from 240hz is outright painful. 360hz is going to be interesting.

You don't need to own Doom Eternal to play The Ancient Gods, Part One

id Software executive producer Marty Stratton explained that it will be an standalone: "we want the DLC to reach as many people as possible. In fact, you don't even need to own Doom Eternal to buy the DLC and play it."...Game Director Hugo Martin clarified that it'll be a sizeable experience. "Most people would associate DLC with being of smaller scope – it's kind of like the made for TV version of the movie, and the movie was the main game," he said. "For us, this is very much like a two-part film – this is every bit as grand as the main game was."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/ancient-gods-dlc-price

Nice!!...I'm surprised they're making it available to those who don't own the base game...also glad to hear it's not going to be short...👏

more info...

Executive Producer Marty Stratton: "When we look at how many people have played through the game we have a large percentage – higher than 2016 – that have completed it

The Doom Eternal DLC will deliver “what people wanted” – plus more Marauders

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/ancient-gods-dlc-interview

I'm really glad to hear that more people have completed Doom Eternal over the 2016 game...shows that the changes they made have worked and appealed to the vast majority of players...the complainers are a small minority

the DLC will be even more difficult which I love!

I despise quick time events. The one b4 last did not have them in any number, this last one had them, now Eternal seems to have doubled down on them, then added more platforming, and only being able to kill certain monsters in certain ways. The gameplay seems well done, as expected, it's just not the game play I wanted. Games evolve or quantum shift all the time. Unfortunately, what I want from a Doom title has not changed in decades. Kind of suck for me. Not likely to look at the series again.

I despise quick time events. The one b4 last did not have them in any number, this last one had them, now Eternal seems to have doubled down on them, then added more platforming, and only being able to kill certain monsters in certain ways. The gameplay seems well done, as expected, it's just not the game play I wanted. Games evolve or quantum shift all the time. Unfortunately, what I want from a Doom title has not changed in decades. Kind of suck for me. Not likely to look at the series again.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm glad other people like the changes and are enjoying the game. That's what games are for. It's just that I'm not enjoying the way Eternal forces me to play. I'm fine with it and I'll just vote with my wallet next time. Not everyone has to like the same things.

Doom Eternal is Coming to Xbox Game Pass Next Month

Come October 1st, Xbox One users with an Xbox Game Pass subscription will be able to download and play Doom Eternal...it will arrive on Game Pass for PC later in 2020...

Doom Eternal is Coming to Xbox Game Pass Next Month

Come October 1st, Xbox One users with an Xbox Game Pass subscription will be able to download and play Doom Eternal...it will arrive on Game Pass for PC later in 2020...

Fuck that trojan horse....and then fuck all the idiots that argued that horse armor DLC was no big deal.

Back