Doom Eternal

polonyc2

Fully [H]
gamers are afraid of games that deviate from the previously established mechanics...they also hate a challenge...[H] is not what it used to be

Armenius

Fully [H]
gamers are afraid of games that deviate from the previously established mechanics...they also hate a challenge...[H] is not what it used to be
Eternal didn't deviate from the mechanics in 2016, though. It just expanded them.

Mchart

2[H]4U
Again, I just don't think it felt like a good shooter. I had way more fun with Ion Fury and have played through that numerous times now. Something about Eternal just felt off to me, and that's a big deal for a shooter. I think it says a lot that a $14 game like Ion Fury was generally far more enjoyable in my opinion compared to Eternal. IMO Ion Fury had better music, better level design, better pacing, better weapons, better enemy variety, and in some ways the graphics were more impressive given the level of detail on the old BUILD engine.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Again, I just don't think it felt like a good shooter. I had way more fun with Ion Fury and have played through that numerous times now. Something about Eternal just felt off to me, and that's a big deal for a shooter. I think it says a lot that a $14 game like Ion Fury was generally far more enjoyable in my opinion compared to Eternal. IMO Ion Fury had better music, better level design, better pacing, better weapons, better enemy variety, and in some ways the graphics were more impressive given the level of detail on the old BUILD engine.
Have you tried DUSK or Amid Evil yet? I had a blast with Ion Fury too, and the other two are must-haves if you enjoy that old school feel IMO. Some of the level design in them is brilliant.

Not really having fun either, maybe I'm just grumpy and old(surprise). About 3 hours into it and don't like it, the mechanics, sorry.

I used to be a big Quake player back in the day, before Counter-Strike.

Mchart

2[H]4U
Have you tried DUSK or Amid Evil yet? I had a blast with Ion Fury too, and the other two are must-haves if you enjoy that old school feel IMO. Some of the level design in them is brilliant.
Haven't tried either because I haven't had the time. I did pickup Wrath: Aeon of Ruin which is still under development, but it's pretty killer and is pretty close to the Quake 2/Hexen era of games.

Drexion

[H]ard|Gawd
gamers hate a challenge...[H] is not what it used to be
Considering how loved and successful the Soulsborne series is, I'd say this is definitely false.

I'm guessing it's more about expectations, when someone starts up a game of a specific genre or franchise, they put themselves in a specific mood to enjoy it as much as they could. So someone starting up a Doom game puts themselves in the mood for some mindless fun FPS action, but then in this game you're fighting bullet sponges as a glass cannon with low ammo capacity, barely able to take damage while having to forage for ammo/health almost like a survival game. Expectations destroyed and fun goes out the window.

Just a guess on my part as to why it's getting a lot of backlash. Doom 2016 was almost perfect, all they had to do was continue the formula instead of going into another direction. Save that for another franchise.

Drexion

[H]ard|Gawd
You do realize that according to from software, 85pct of players never even beat the first boss in dark souls 3 right?
So it's the same as any other type of entertainment? We're no longer in the 90's, due to the vast amount of entertainment competition available nowadays almost ALL forms of entertainment (tv, movies, games, sports, streaming, etc) sees massive drop offs in viewer count during the first 10-20% of the final production. (obviously there's a sharper drop for difficult content like the Souls games)

In Path of Exile something like 98% of people who play it don't kill the first Act boss either. Still it's currently the #1 most successful isometric arpg out there atm in terms of popularity/player count. Players dropping means nothing, if anything it's a positive in that the devs didn't dumb down the content to cater to the lowest common denominator like so much console games did with the 'Ubisoft open world formula'.

Drexion

[H]ard|Gawd
Now that the game is no longer new and the "new hype" has worn off more and more people are posting exactly the same criticisms as other players did when the game was released without caring about being flamed by the fanboys. Here's a summary since you keep ignoring the valid points in this thread:

It's more about expectations, when someone starts up a game of a specific genre or franchise, they put themselves in a specific mood to enjoy it as much as they could. So someone starting up a new Doom game puts themselves in the mood for some mindless fun FPS action, but then in this game they find themselves playing a glass cannon, fighting bullet sponges, having low ammo capacity, barely able to take damage while having to forage for ammo/health like a survival game while dodging ground effects like an isometric ARPG. Expectations destroyed and fun goes out the window.

Players didn't sign up for a survival game, they signed up to shoot shoot bang bang, with the occasional horror elements, as the franchise has been for the past 25 years.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Now that the game is no longer new and the "new hype" has worn off more and more people are posting exactly the same criticisms as other players did when the game was released without caring about being flamed by the fanboys. Here's a summary since you keep ignoring the valid points in this thread:

It's more about expectations, when someone starts up a game of a specific genre or franchise, they put themselves in a specific mood to enjoy it as much as they could. So someone starting up a new Doom game puts themselves in the mood for some mindless fun FPS action, but then in this game they find themselves playing a glass cannon, fighting bullet sponges, having low ammo capacity, barely able to take damage while having to forage for ammo/health like a survival game while dodging ground effects like an isometric ARPG. Expectations destroyed and fun goes out the window.

Players didn't sign up for a survival game, they signed up to shoot shoot bang bang, with the occasional horror elements, as the franchise has been for the past 25 years.
that's not actually a valid description of the gameplay....you get used to the new mechanics in no time...I didn't like the chainsaw mechanic in the beginning but after 10 minutes it becomes natural...it's perfectly balanced...you're supposed to run short on ammo, armor etc but it's not the same as a survival game...you pretty much find infinite amounts of everything all over the map with every fight...all you have to do is constantly be on the attack

Doom Eternal much like Doom 2016 or even something like Unreal Tournament wants the player to constantly be on the move...if you want to play it as a shooter where you can stand still and blast away or camp behind cover then this is not the game...watch some gameplay videos of people playing and you'll see the game flows very well...I might even take some videos next time I play...

Drexion

[H]ard|Gawd
you get used to the new mechanics in no time
Correct, however if there are too many new mechanics, say 10 - there will be players who can get used to maybe 7-8 of them, but not the last 1-2, then just quit the game. I hated the ground effects the most while I could tolerate most of the other changes. Killing some enemies (like the Mancubus iirc) would spawn high damage ground effects which suck for a first person camera game.

For someone else it might be the platforming, or the low ammo etc - with so many changes to the core game loop there will be a lot more dissatisfied players. Maybe they should have taken a page from other developers and kept the base gameplay the same but put all the changes in a separate "survival" mode or something.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
I gave up man. I got stuck in this one part with seemingly unlimited enemies coming at me. Set the game to easy and moved on LOL.

T4rd

Fully [H]
Are they still releasing an RTX/DLSS patch for this at some point? I'm currently replaying through Doom 2016 again and would like to jump to this afterwards, but I wanted to wait until it was patched if it's still going to be. I'm guessing they're waiting for next gen consoles to debut it at this point, but I wish they would just say that instead of radio silence about it.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I still find this review to be a good write-up on the game...

if you go into Doom Eternal expecting a repeat of the game you played in 2016, you'll be disappointed. Doom Eternal will also kick your butt...

That's because Doom Eternal plays in a way that is significantly different than its predecessor. Sure, you have many of the same tools, but enemies are faster and far more aggressive than their 2016 counterparts. In most instances, each one also requires that you use a specific weapon to take them out. For example, one of the best ways to deal with cacodemons early on is to use the combat shotgun's sticky bomb mod to lob a grenade at them before they're able to get close to you. You combine this with the fact your character can't carry much ammo, and it means Doom Eternal forces you to switch between weapons at almost every moment. Quickly swapping between guns has always been in the DNA of arena shooters, but Eternal forces you to internalize this behavior in a way that -- unless you played it at its harder difficulties -- Doom 2016 did not.

At first, I hated this about Eternal. Until you get the hang of its gameplay loop, you always feel like you don't have enough ammo to finish fights. Ironically for a game that's all about speed, Doom Eternal asks that you be patient while you learn how to play on its terms. Some players will hate this, and I did for a time too. But once you start mastering its mechanics, Doom Eternal's battles can be thrilling...

https://www.engadget.com/doom-eternal-fps-irl-133006155.html

T4rd

Fully [H]
Are they still releasing an RTX/DLSS patch for this at some point? I'm currently replaying through Doom 2016 again and would like to jump to this afterwards, but I wanted to wait until it was patched if it's still going to be. I'm guessing they're waiting for next gen consoles to debut it at this point, but I wish they would just say that instead of radio silence about it.
Hmm, this just went on sale on Steam for $30, which I think it was just at that price for the summer sale too. Still not sure if I'll wait for the RTX patch now, but I'm betting it'll be on sale for this price or less by the time it does get patched.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Hmm, this just went on sale on Steam for $30, which I think it was just at that price for the summer sale too. Still not sure if I'll wait for the RTX patch now, but I'm betting it'll be on sale for this price or less by the time it does get patched.
For anyone on the fence...

I received an email from Fanatical today - it's $26.39 there (24 hour sale) and you get a free game + a 5% coupon.