Doom Eternal

I think I figured out what breaks immersion for me it's all the floaty jumping same as the last game. Rage 2 had none of that sure you jumped on over objects but that was the extent of it.

I just pre-ordered the Standard version on Amazon where it's currently $49.94...says it's an 'Amazon Exclusive Bonus' although I'm not sure what's so unique about it...either way the price was the lowest I've seen so far so I bit

12 Minutes of Battlemode 2v1 Multiplayer Gameplay

Doom Eternal's new Battlemode multiplayer mode was revealed last year as a 2v1 throwdown between one player as the Doomslayer, and two others working together as demons...today we got a closer look at that asymmetric mode in action courtesy of a 12-minute IGN video featuring one of their guys against two of id's...

I love asymmetric multiplayer (I was one of the few people who liked Evolve, the asymmetric monster game)

At least on the console versions we now know the single player and multiplayer content will be separate downloads. On the Xbox One, single player is 38GB and multiplayer is 36GB.

At least on the console versions we now know the single player and multiplayer content will be separate downloads. On the Xbox One, single player is 38GB and multiplayer is 36GB.

Being that I bounce around between all my favorite id games all the time, I had to add a few SSDs to my main PC due to their size. :D 38+36 is a decent sized chunk on a default console.

I just can't believe they shat out that commercial after Trailer 2 gave me goosebumps and had my lip quivering. It's a real epic fail. People looking to play this game don't generally fall into the COD crowd. It's also confusing given how demand for the OST from 2016 was great enough that Mick Gordon produced a version specifically as an album post hoc, meaning Doom's music is a selling point and they should have stuck with it.

I'm sure the single player will be great (improved, longer version of the 2016 game)...but it's the asymmetrical multiplayer component that holds the most potential...

DOOM Eternal: How id Tech 7 Is Maximized for Current Tech and Next-Gen

id Sofware's lead engine programmer Billy Kahn said that the id Tech 7 engine has been dramatically overhauled for Doom Eternal..."On id Tech 6, we maxed it out to 250 frames per second. This game, if you have the hardware right, it could hit 1000 frames per second. That the max we have,"...

So, if what this guy is saying is true, then Doom Eternal should be used as a benchmark for years to come. Back to roots or marketing bs?

So Doom and Animal Crossing both come out on the same day. If you haven't seen the crossovers people have been doing you should check them out.
1583161177811.png

12 Minutes of Battlemode 2v1 Multiplayer Gameplay

Doom Eternal's new Battlemode multiplayer mode was revealed last year as a 2v1 throwdown between one player as the Doomslayer, and two others working together as demons...today we got a closer look at that asymmetric mode in action courtesy of a 12-minute IGN video featuring one of their guys against two of id's...

I love asymmetric multiplayer (I was one of the few people who liked Evolve, the asymmetric monster game)

You can barely see anything once the battle starts :/
Revenant is playing blind lol

PC system requirements

Minimum:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor:  Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB), GTX 1060 (6GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)/RX 470 (4GB)
  • Storage: 50 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: (1080p / 60 FPS / Low Quality Settings
Recommended:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (8GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
  • Additional Notes: (1440p / 60 FPS / High Quality Settings)

PC system requirements

Minimum:

• Processor:  Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB), GTX 1060 (6GB), GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)/RX 470 (4GB)
Recommended:
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (8GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
I wonder how easy it will be to hit 144 fps@1440p.

PC system requirements

Minimum:

Recommended:
Prepare for the people bitching on the forums about the game not supporting the FX-6300 their parents bought them for Christmas 8 years ago. Hopefully devs will stop kowtowing to these people, downgrading games post-release.

Prepare for the people bitching on the forums about the game not supporting the FX-6300 their parents bought them for Christmas 8 years ago. Hopefully devs will stop kowtowing to these people, downgrading games post-release.

I bet it scales down to pomme-de-terre levels better than educated people might guess, but yeah, there needs to be a reasonable line drawn. Even if it's just a theoretical line. :D They were talking about it running on the Switch, and scaling up to hardware that doesn't exist yet though, so I don't think anyone needs to worry.

hey my i7 980x is still going strong...6 core goodness for 10 years running :D ...I've never run into any issues as far as a game requiring one of the new CPU instruction sets

Last edited:
They cant' shut up about having twice as much content but somehow have managed to trim the game size in half? With mega textures being removed, I think we're going to see a lot of recurring textures. Unless I am missing something. What am I missing, besides happiness?

They cant' shut up about having twice as much content but somehow have managed to trim the game size in half? With mega textures being removed, I think we're going to see a lot of recurring textures. Unless I am missing something. What am I missing, besides happiness?

Contentment?

Reactions: dgz
like this

Me checks Doom install folder, 68.8GB Doom eternal according to listed specs (which have been removed in the meantime) needs 50 GB that's far from half and seeing it does not contain a seperate multiplayer mode like the original I will wait with my judgement until i played it./

Reactions: dgz
like this

you're going to be running/jumping/shooting every second so you're not going to notice the textures...the game looks like constant movement with no time to admire the scenery

you're going to be running/jumping/shooting every second so you're not going to notice the textures...the game looks like constant movement with no time to admire the scenery

Sure. Give air control and dash and I'd be happy. I am just saying it doesn't make too much sense. Guess we'll see. Hope it runs with Proton :/

after Doom Eternal I want to see id Software try something different...they've created some excellent games- Doom, Quake, Rage but they have the same basic gameplay...I want them to move out of their comfort zone...how about an RPG or a zombie game like Dying Light...that would look amazing with the iD Tech engine

after Doom Eternal I want to see id Software try something different...they've created some excellent games- Doom, Quake, Rage but they have the same basic gameplay...I want them to move out of their comfort zone...how about an RPG or a zombie game like Dying Light...that would look amazing with the iD Tech engine
I would not mind a sequel to Quake 2 and 4. I just want another single-player Quake (just like I want another single-player Unreal but Epic is too fucking busy with Fortnite, couldn't even get UT4 out the door). I don't know about id Software moving out of their comfort zone. RPG would be interesting if done by another studio. I think id Software should stick to what they know. They are too damn good at it. Ugh, no more zombie games please. I feel like we've gotten way too many of them in the past decade. I agree that id's technology should be utilized more often. id Tech 4 kinda went to waste. We had Quake 4 and Prey by other studios, which used the engine well, but yeah there weren't many games on id Tech 4. And now id Tech 6 barely got used. One Doom game and one Wolfenstein game and that was it. So yeah it would be really nice to see id Tech 7 get used more after Doom Eternal.

I agree that id's technology should be utilized more often. id Tech 4 kinda went to waste. We had Quake 4 and Prey by other studios, which used the engine well, but yeah there weren't many games on id Tech 4. And now id Tech 6 barely got used. One Doom game and one Wolfenstein game and that was it. So yeah it would be really nice to see id Tech 7 get used more after Doom Eternal.

the best engines barely seem to get used...I've always thought CryEngine was the best but developers rarely seem to use it

I would not mind a sequel to Quake 2 and 4. I just want another single-player Quake (just like I want another single-player Unreal but Epic is too fucking busy with Fortnite, couldn't even get UT4 out the door). I don't know about id Software moving out of their comfort zone. RPG would be interesting if done by another studio. I think id Software should stick to what they know. They are too damn good at it. Ugh, no more zombie games please. I feel like we've gotten way too many of them in the past decade. I agree that id's technology should be utilized more often. id Tech 4 kinda went to waste. We had Quake 4 and Prey by other studios, which used the engine well, but yeah there weren't many games on id Tech 4. And now id Tech 6 barely got used. One Doom game and one Wolfenstein game and that was it. So yeah it would be really nice to see id Tech 7 get used more after Doom Eternal.

Let's hope Bethesda finnaly ditches their dodgy engine in favor for id tech, fallout 5 with doom like shooting mechanics should be a blast.

PC system requirements

Minimum:

Recommended:

Looks like a very flexible game that works with many architectures. Recommended GPUs are all 8 GB, which is the first I have seen. Whys say 2060 8 gb and not simply 2060 Super??

Let's hope Bethesda finnaly ditches their dodgy engine in favor for id tech, fallout 5 with doom like shooting mechanics should be a blast.

They would be smart to do that. I wonder if the removal of MegaTexture would make BethSoft-style open worlds easier or harder on Tech 7? Probably easier I would guess, since lighting doesn't need to be baked in, and textures can be adjusted easier (at least that's my guess). I admit that Skyrim was fully stable for me, and ran very nicely on all the hardware I've run it on, but it would still look a million times better on Tech 7 assuming it lends itself to Beth's world styles.

Release timing and updated specs:
https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/5Wx9QeorMSfMZCwLg6VpoS/doom-eternal-launch-details

Preloading on Steam and Bethesda.net starts on Wednesday the 18th.

North America gets it last, for some reason, actually unlocking on PC on the 21st instead of the 20th if you're on the east coast (unless that is a typo).
1583859146787.png

Minimum and recommended specs were updated and a spec for "Ultra-Nightmare" was added.
1583859257166.png

EDIT: The website was corrected as the North and South American time was indeed a typo. Doom Eternal will unlock at 9:01 PM PDT on the 19th or 12:01 AM EDT on the 20th.

Last edited:
Release timing and updated specs:
https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/5Wx9QeorMSfMZCwLg6VpoS/doom-eternal-launch-details

Preloading on Steam and Bethesda.net starts on Wednesday the 18th.

North America gets it last, for some reason, actually unlocking on PC on the 21st instead of the 20th if you're on the east coast (unless that is a typo).
View attachment 229099

Minimum and recommended specs were updated and a spec for "Ultra-Nightmare" was added.
View attachment 229100

I love now they give you the specs based on your rez/fps targets. That's helpful for once.

Nobody does shooters as well as Id - they should stick with what they are best at. There are plenty of other developers who are experts at other genres. Would not want Id leaving this space as there are not enough of developers that can fill their shoes. I (selfishly) need Id to make best shooters possible.

Back