DOOM Doomed?

Truck got hit by a hit and run in the parking lot at work. $2,700 in damage.

Bought the game so I can just unload on zombies and demons tonight.

Gamestop had a 50% bonus trade in credit going over the weekend and I knew I would never touch Uncharted 4 again, so I went ahead and picked this up.

I'm only on the second level.

So far, it's okay, but I think I like Doom 3 better. Of course Doom 1 and 2 are untouchable classics. I actually replayed Doom 1 a few years ago and had a lot of fun.

The graphics of the new Doom are quite impressive. But it seems a little dumbed down. On both levels now, the automap is near the start of the level. I don't like the "demonic presence alerts" that locks the doors down. I don't like the blue glow when you stun a demon. There is little story exposition. The game holds your hand and tells you what to do instead of just letting you figure it all out on your own.

Just my first impressions on the SP. I haven't touched MP yet.

I hate the jumping puzzles. I could see it if I was playing "Tomb Raider" but this is Doom! Also, so many of the areas are so dark that I invariably miss a jump and fall to my death and have to start over from the last auto checkpoint. :mad:

My only gripe with the game is Multiplayer is pretty bland nothing like Call of Duty couldn't pull off better. Single player isn't bad I have to have my 27" monitor a few inches away due to the eyestrain I get with the game but it's a short game no lose there still haven't finished it. Playing The Old Blood instead which was free with the pre order which I like better than Doom. I think I just like it better because it has a down to earth story and it looks like they tried to copy Metro Last Light series a bit with having a npc co-op experience.

Basically the game is trying to capture the past Quake would be alot more fun I would think. Different color scheme and memorable sounds.

Gamestop had a 50% bonus trade in credit going over the weekend and I knew I would never touch Uncharted 4 again, so I went ahead and picked this up.

I'm only on the second level.

So far, it's okay, but I think I like Doom 3 better. Of course Doom 1 and 2 are untouchable classics. I actually replayed Doom 1 a few years ago and had a lot of fun.

The graphics of the new Doom are quite impressive. But it seems a little dumbed down. On both levels now, the automap is near the start of the level. I don't like the "demonic presence alerts" that locks the doors down. I don't like the blue glow when you stun a demon. There is little story exposition. The game holds your hand and tells you what to do instead of just letting you figure it all out on your own.

Just my first impressions on the SP. I haven't touched MP yet.

Turn all of those assists off in the options.

I hate the jumping puzzles. I could see it if I was playing "Tomb Raider" but this is Doom! Also, so many of the areas are so dark that I invariably miss a jump and fall to my death and have to start over from the last auto checkpoint. :mad:

Jumping puzzles? :|

They're not really jumping puzzles. There are a couple of vertically oriented levels. (Well, really it's one major vertical level, and a few minor vertical parts to other levels.) There's nothing "puzzle" about it. You simply platform your way to the top of the section. It makes sense when you're playing it. It's also not difficult in any way whatsoever. You simply jump or double-jump to the edge of a platform. You automatically grab it, and pull up onto it. Simple, fluid, and adds a little something to those levels. Combat across the vertical areas is actually pretty interesting IMO. I've played through the whole game using a gamepad on my living room PC too. It would be even easier with a mouse.

Jumping puzzles? :|
I wouldn't call them puzzles....just a bit of platforming. I mean, it's incredibly obvious on where to go, unless you are looking for secrets, but if that's the case...isn't that the point? Even so, the jumping areas are easy.

I wouldn't call them puzzles....just a bit of platforming. I mean, it's incredibly obvious on where to go, unless you are looking for secrets, but if that's the case...isn't that the point? Even so, the jumping areas are easy.

Ha! We posted the exact same thing basically. :D

Yea, I'm always confused when people say they were terrible. I'm like, "You barely do it?"

Maybe, because I'm a Half Life fan, and have played it semi-recently, that the jumping segments in Doom are nothing.

Last edited:
Ha! We posted the exact same thing basically. :D

At almost the exact same time! *High Five*

Yea, I'm always confused when people say they were terrible. I'm like, "You barely do it?"

Maybe, because I'm a Half Life fan, and have played it semi-recently, that the jumping segments in Doom are nothing.

Ah yes, Half Life... where crouch jumping wasn't a trick, it was a requirement.

Sorry, I can't find it in the Codex or on the Wikia, just what the hell are these things?

110f37be4c.png

Why did you have to bump one of the most click-baity lame topics in existence?

We're only helping him bump it further, but I can't help but want to say "Who cares?". Doom hasn't been relevant in how long now? I loved it way back when, and I loved 3, but it's just a memory at this point.

We're only helping him bump it further, but I can't help but want to say "Who cares?". Doom hasn't been relevant in how long now? I loved it way back when, and I loved 3, but it's just a memory at this point.
I think it helps to show that one shouldn't listen to the internet outrage machine on a lead up to release, especially the usual freak out about Denuvo.

And is it irrelevant? I was personally just getting ready to install and play through it again.

I think it helps to show that one shouldn't listen to the internet outrage machine on a lead up to release, especially the usual freak out about Denuvo.

And is it irrelevant? I was personally just getting ready to install and play through it again.

Yeah, well,

giphy.webp

Seriously though, are you playing the new one, or? I haven't heard anyone in my circles talk about it, and we're all pretty big self-pronounced gamers. It just seems to me there are much better titles out there, and this would be last on my list (though it would be on the list I suppose, way way down).

Seriously though, are you playing the new one, or? I haven't heard anyone in my circles talk about it, and we're all pretty big self-pronounced gamers. It just seems to me there are much better titles out there, and this would be last on my list (though it would be on the list I suppose, way way down).

What are you talking about? The new one was critically acclaimed. Unfortunately, they chose to focus on the lack-luster MP for DLC, but the single player is amazing.

The new DOOM wasn't bad. I bought it early summer and even finished a few levels.
Since purchasing it, I've once again completed The Ultimate Doom and DOOM ][.

What are you talking about? The new one was critically acclaimed. Unfortunately, they chose to focus on the lack-luster MP for DLC, but the single player is amazing.

I'm serious, no one (again, that I know) is talking about this game, but I do remember videos of when it was coming out, and it looked like it had a nice splash of new paint. I suppose I'm just in a period where everyone I know is playing anything but this. What exactly makes this so special and worth considering?

I'm still amazed they didn't work on any singleplayer DLC or expansions, it would be a easy buy for alot of people. MP just never really seemed great in this one, so the DLC was kind of a waste.

I'm serious, no one (again, that I know) is talking about this game, but I do remember videos of when it was coming out, and it looked like it had a nice splash of new paint. I suppose I'm just in a period where everyone I know is playing anything but this. What exactly makes this so special and worth considering?

No one is talking about it NOW because everyone has beaten it already. Go check out the actual 28-page thread on the game: https://hardforum.com/threads/doom-4-e3-reveal.1865391/

It was/is awesome because it's a brilliant throwback to the original with really great graphics and performance. No holds barred, unadulterated FPS mayhem.

No one is talking about it NOW because everyone has beaten it already. Go check out the actual 28-page thread on the game: https://hardforum.com/threads/doom-4-e3-reveal.1865391/

It was/is awesome because it's a brilliant throwback to the original with really great graphics and performance. No holds barred, unadulterated FPS mayhem.

Don't remember anyone talking about it when it came out either. I'll add it to the worlds longest back-log, that just seems to be growing these days.

All of the people that you know have been living under the same rock it would appear. :p (I don't mean that in a bad way :D ) Seriously. Get the game (it's on sale for $20 all the time now) and play it. It's the best pure shooter to come out in years. (Grab the new Wolfenstein games too if you haven't played those.) Doom 2016 is fucking brilliant. Period. Your system will eat it for breakfast too. It performs incredibly well, and is probably the best looking game I've seen recently.

All of the people that you know have been living under the same rock it would appear. :p (I don't mean that in a bad way :D ) Seriously. Get the game (it's on sale for $20 all the time now) and play it. It's the best pure shooter to come out in years. (Grab the new Wolfenstein games too if you haven't played those.) Doom 2016 is fucking brilliant. Period. Your system will eat it for breakfast too. It performs incredibly well, and is probably the best looking game I've seen recently.

I don't have time to do shit, so yet another game is totally out of the question. I'll play it at some point, who knows when though. By the time I play it, the rig in my sig. will be gone, haven't turned the thing on in over a year now. Now Wolfenstein I did play, including Old Blood. I appreciate the shove to play this, must mean it's great.

I don't have time to do shit, so yet another game is totally out of the question. I'll play it at some point, who knows when though. By the time I play it, the rig in my sig. will be gone, haven't turned the thing on in over a year now. Now Wolfenstein I did play, including Old Blood. I appreciate the shove to play this, must mean it's great.

I hear you. I'm actually getting most of my backlog done right now, because I'm taking a little hiatus from my other hobby (the one that actually sucks all my "extra" time out and makes a bit of money). I decided to take the summer off from that one, and I've managed to play quite a few games I'd been waiting on. Otherwise, I'd have taken FOREVER to get around to them. Personally, if you liked the Wolfenstein games, I'd bump Doom up your backlog a bit.

I hear you. I'm actually getting most of my backlog done right now, because I'm taking a little hiatus from my other hobby (the one that actually sucks all my "extra" time out and makes a bit of money). I decided to take the summer off from that one, and I've managed to play quite a few games I'd been waiting on. Otherwise, I'd have taken FOREVER to get around to them. Personally, if you liked the Wolfenstein games, I'd bump Doom up your backlog a bit.

I liked Wolfenstein, I wouldn't quite say that it sang to me. It was solid, but not too memorable to be honest with you. I'm the exact opposite of you, I've been building a few start ups the past few years, so I'm totally tied up with that, other business opportunities on the side, and my "real job". I don't really know what "extra" time is, but I do try to get a couple hours of gaming squeezed in each week. At this rate, I won't finish a game this year!

I liked Wolfenstein, I wouldn't quite say that it sang to me. It was solid, but not too memorable to be honest with you. I'm the exact opposite of you, I've been building a few start ups the past few years, so I'm totally tied up with that, other business opportunities on the side, and my "real job". I don't really know what "extra" time is, but I do try to get a couple hours of gaming squeezed in each week. At this rate, I won't finish a game this year!

Luckily my "real" job is a 40 hour a week deal (well, on call for a week out of every month, but...) My hobby job is basically a second job half the time, and a hobby when I'm doing it for myself. (Analog circuit design for audio synthesizers, and building of said devices. People buy them from me on occasion, so it's a hobby that actually produces enough money to occasionally pay for a vacation, or new equipment, or the like.) I didn't feel like being bent over a soldering iron and staring at CAD drawings all summer though, so I stopped until things get cold around here again. (maybe another month or two) It's been nice really, but then I'm going to have the couple hours of week like you again by November. :bigtears:

As far as Wolfenstein and Doom go, you may actually like Doom better. Just depends. Both have really tight action and shooting, Wolfenstein leans a bit more on its story, while Doom's story just pushes you forward through the action. It's not bad by any means, but it's typical Doom. If you like Doom, you'll like the new Doom. I personally lean just a bit toward Doom 3 because I liked the survival horror and semi-emergent elements of it a lot. Doom 2016 basically distills things back into a very pure Doom experience, adding just enough new elements to make it a modern game. It's also quite playable in little chunks, so it would suit your playtime requirements.

Doom over Wolfenstein for me! Working my way through some backlog, getting so annoyed that every game now seems to have too many "sneak" portions. Just want to blow ish up sometimes!

Doom over Wolfenstein for me! Working my way through some backlog, getting so annoyed that every game now seems to have too many "sneak" portions. Just want to blow ish up sometimes!

Agree! Or at least, give a meaningful choice. Don't penalize too harshly for one over the other. In something like Dishonored I like to play a good mix of sneaking and killing. I've had to learn to live with the fact that in some games, I'm just not going to get the "good" ending. :D

Nice necropost.

Youarefakenews.jpg

So, does this game have couch-coop?

Need a new game for me and my wife

Don't remember anyone talking about it when it came out either. I'll add it to the worlds longest back-log, that just seems to be growing these days.

There was a front-page article on hardocp talking about the music in the new DOOM last week... What are you talking about? People pretty much universally loved the SP game.

the game was freaking graet in SP i dont know about MP though. wished it had CO-op

palyed it through once
Then again to get alle missing secret & stuff
Then again only using weaker weapon like assult rifle shutgon and gun and not abel to pick up med packs/shield. only ammo (skipped boss fights thoug)
plus a coyple of randoms time just jumping into a random level and having a bit of short fun.

There was a front-page article on hardocp talking about the music in the new DOOM last week... What are you talking about? People pretty much universally loved the SP game.

SP is of course the main attraction. It took a while, and id taking over MP from the "other" guys working on it, but MP is MUCH improved in every way imaginable. However, it was all the right changes just a little too late because the actual community is too small now. Still looking at the current MP state objectively, it's actually very good. It's just too bad the timing wasn't right and id didn't do it from the start.

I haven't heard anyone in my circles talk about it, and we're all pretty big self-pronounced gamers....

if you never heard about how great the 2016 Doom game was and how it won a bunch of GOTY awards then you're not 'big self-pronounced gamers'...I was cynical about the game before it came out and wasn't expecting much except a poor attempt at trying to capture the feeling of the original but it exceeded my expectations in every way

plus it comes with some nice graphical settings and Vulkan + OpenGL support

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...n-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

Last edited:
Well, "Doom II: Hell On Earth" was just fine. What could possibly go wrong?

Back