DOOM Doomed?

There was a front-page article on hardocp talking about the music in the new DOOM last week... What are you talking about? People pretty much universally loved the SP game.

Didn't see it, sue me. I'm not arguing people didn't love it, I'm saying I missed it. Fuck, people.

if you never heard about how great the 2016 Doom game was and how it won a bunch of GOTY awards then you're not 'big self-pronounced gamers'...I was cynical about the game before it came out and wasn't expecting much except a poor attempt at trying to capture the feeling of the original but it exceeded my expectations in every way

plus it comes with some nice graphical settings and Vulkan + OpenGL support

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...n-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

I'm not a gamer anymore because I didn't follow one revitalized franchise that happened to be pretty good, but actively played almost everything else, including that garbage Far Cry and those shitty Assassin's Creed games? Awesome.

Didn't see it, sue me. I'm not arguing people didn't love it, I'm saying I missed it. Fuck, people.

I'm not a gamer anymore because I didn't follow one revitalized franchise that happened to be pretty good, but actively played almost everything else, including that garbage Far Cry and those shitty Assassin's Creed games? Awesome.

Hand in your badge on your way out. :p

I might not have noticed it except I'm a ridiculously over the top id fan. I've loved every game they've released from Commander Keen to Doom 2016 (and starting to like Quake Champions too...) There are a few franchises and companies that I pay very close attention to, (id, Arkane, Starbreeze/Machine Games, Bethesda, etc.) but otherwise it's all 2D indie games for me these days more or less. I couldn't tell you what the last several Assassin's Creed games were. (or really any Ubisoft game short of Rayman :D ) not up on most of EA's games either (except Mass Effects, Mirror's Edges, and while I don't play them, I'm aware of the Battlefields well enough). Otherwise... No clue on half the crap around...

Hand in your badge on your way out. :p

I might not have noticed it except I'm a ridiculously over the top id fan. I've loved every game they've released from Commander Keen to Doom 2016 (and starting to like Quake Champions too...) There are a few franchises and companies that I pay very close attention to, but otherwise it's all 2D indie games for me these days. I couldn't tell you what the last several Assassin's Creed games were. No clue...

Here's my badge:

4D29FD00E1701A7CD5FDE96969E679924CE6E221

Kidding...!

Exactly...but yet people rave about the Assassin's Creed games as well, despite the fact that they're just average nowadays, with new polish and more bugs. That's clearly not what Doom is, but still.

Lol!

DOOM sp = amazing.
DOOM mp = weak and dead.

What has id learned?
Hopefully they learned that you let people host their own dedicated servers.
and two, released your god damned map editor and enough code to script our own mods.

Lol!

DOOM sp = amazing.
DOOM mp = weak and dead.

What has id learned?
Hopefully they learned that you let people host their own dedicated servers.
and two, released your god damned map editor and enough code to script our own mods.

The lack of dedicated servers kills part of the feel of a community with a game. Plus, its no fun have to go through matchmaking after every round, lame.

I hate matchmaking. I believe they added custom matches though later on, so you can actually set up games for a group of friends. Can't remember the details, but I think I remember that being a later addition after id started working on the MP portion. I remember the lists of changes being pretty impressive. Unfortunately that's how it should have been in the first place. Really though, it should have dedicated servers. I really don't see what the big deal is there. If someone wants to compete or play ranked matches, then they should have to go through id's servers. If people just want to have fun on a LAN or with some buddies online, then one should be able to pop up a dedicated server. I don't see why they have to be mutually exclusive. If someone wants to run the risk of cheaters joining in order to have some freedom or lock down their matches to friends only, then that's on them. If people want to be ranked, use the other multiplayer interface.

My best memories were finding servers with a good collection of people. Now, it's purely based on algorithms. That just completely only favors those that want purely gameplay based MP and not a "community."
This is what I don't understand. Wasn't the whole selling point of P2P matchmaking that it would extend the life of the game because no matter how many people were playing you'd always find a game? Dedicated servers allows you to find a good server with consistent and low latency, good mods, and great people to play with. Matchmaking you don't know who the fuck these people are and there is nothing that can be done about bad people except sit in another matchmaking cycle for 2-4 minutes and pray that you get into a good game. Look at Call of Duty 4. The last in the series with dedicated servers and it's still going strong to this day compared to the garbage that came after it. How is MW Remastered doing, with its neutered multiplayer experience, by comparison after just one year?

Which, I was called, "An Old Man," when I had criticisms back in the day. But, the games media was trying really hard to sell that shit down our throats as "good." Of course, time showed it was mostly bullshit. Still, it's the popular method. As devs love taking user control away.

There is just absolutely NO reason that both types can be put into the same game. Ranked match making on company owned servers, and then a dedicated server portion that's not ranked. It's also likely just as easy to protect their "hat sales" as well this way. Sure there'd be people running around with whatever the hell on some dedicated servers, but they could easily bar non-official items from the ranked servers. They keep citing security, but it's a misguided attempt I think. (and may have motives that lean toward hat-protection) Still, I can see SOME people liking it one way, and others preferring dedicated. So DO BOTH! They just don't want to spend the couple of meetings, and spare the one or two coders needed to make that happen.

There is just absolutely NO reason that both types can be put into the same game. Ranked match making on company owned servers, and then a dedicated server portion that's not ranked. It's also likely just as easy to protect their "hat sales" as well this way. Sure there'd be people running around with whatever the hell on some dedicated servers, but they could easily bar non-official items from the ranked servers. They keep citing security, but it's a misguided attempt I think. (and may have motives that lean toward hat-protection) Still, I can see SOME people liking it one way, and others preferring dedicated. So DO BOTH! They just don't want to spend the couple of meetings, and spare the one or two coders needed to make that happen.

I think you nailed it. The companies don't care what we think as gamers want, as dedicated servers might take away from the appeal they want the paid hats etc to have. A shame, as the dedicated servers and online community are one big reason why quake, doom, UT, CS, developed such a larger playerbase and long term appeal. Now they just want to take advantage of the community and ignore what we like and got us here.

Back