DOOM Doomed?

From what I seen on the Nvidia Demo and YouTube it looks good. I think the entire Steam community suffers from addiction.

I'm pretty skeptical of the new Doom. Game seemed to be in development hell for a long time. And I know Carmack isn't involved with id anymore.

Also I saw they already have the game discounted on the playstation store. That's not a good sign. Maybe I will rent it out of curiosity, but I'm not expecting much.

Having have reviews embargoed until after the game releases is becoming standard?

Guess professional game reviews will become a thing of the past, to be replaced by various amateur release day streaming? I have noticed more and more paid-for/sponsored streaming for new games.

Not sure paid-for streams are a good thing, but times keep on changing I guess.

Grew up with id fps games in the 90s. Main reason I'm a pc gamer to this day. Pretty much played all their major releases to date. Strangely don't give two shits about this game. FPS games just don't pique my interest any longer I guess. Maybe a bargain bin purchase if ever.

The footage I've seen of the new DOOM game looked awfully fast compared to many recent FPSes that are primarily designed for consoles.

I wonder if maybe the game is designed primarily for the PC, and is thus a little too fast for playing with a gamepad. I could see that contributing to negative reviews of the console versions, even if the PC version is amazing.

First the horrible reviews on STEAM, now a review embargo until the game ships?

DOOM Review Codes Won't Be Available Until Launch Day

Have to say this shows not look good, at all... :(

I dunno, the review said it looked and ran great on inferior Xbox hardware and was supposedly "mesmerizing" at 4K on the PC. I'm buying a GTX 1080 just to be able to play this at 4K so I'm looking forward to it. Call me old school, but I love a simple SP FPS. I grew up playing the original Doom and I really enjoyed last year's The New Order and The Old Blood.

Meh, I'd buy it on sale for single player. Didnt have much interest after seeing how "clean" the levels look, not dirty enough. Looks more like an arena shooter.

Having have reviews embargoed until after the game releases is becoming standard?

Guess professional game reviews will become a thing of the past, to be replaced by various amateur release day streaming? I have noticed more and more paid-for/sponsored streaming for new games.

Not sure paid-for streams are a good thing, but times keep on changing I guess.

Or we could... you know... be patient and wait for reviews. Its not like ID have a gun to your head FORCING you to buy Day 1.

Its that sort of attitude that allows developers to shit in a box and sell it to you, and BOY HAVE THEY TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THAT. Just be freaking PATIENT, don't buy Day 1 if the reviews aren't out. Back in the day, reviews came out AFTER a game was released, as the independent journalists purchased their own copies at retail and reviewed the game from that perspective. just because publishers hold back reviews or review copies does not make the reviewers and their industry irrelevant: WE choose weather the reviewers and their industry are relevant. If a review to you is so incredibly worthless that you refuse to wait 1 week to read it before making a large purchase than, well: You've spoken.

This is my first pre-order of my life. I think the gameplay looks fun as hell, plus with SnapMap there will be oodles of user content. Any glaring issues with the game will be fixed promptly by Bethesda or the modding community, as is true with any other Bethesda game. I'm pumped.

This is my first pre-order of my life. I think the gameplay looks fun as hell, plus with SnapMap there will be oodles of user content. Any glaring issues with the game will be fixed promptly by Bethesda or the modding community, as is true with any other Bethesda game. I'm pumped.

I hope for everyone's sake that you are right. Pre-Ordering games has become the norm, allowing developers to cash an early cheque: this is not good for the industry.

I hope for everyone's sake that you are right. Pre-Ordering games has become the norm, allowing developers to cash an early cheque: this is not good for the industry.

Normally I would agree, and like I said - I have never pre-ordered a game before as far as I can remember. However, I have faith in Bethesda considering their achievements and games produced the last several years. Plus Pre-ordering through Amazon with their 20% off makes it hurt less if I don't get hours upon hours of use from it. They gave me several hundred hours of enjoyment from FO4 and Skyrim alone, I don't mind giving them a bit more $$.

Normally I would agree, and like I said - I have never pre-ordered a game before as far as I can remember. However, I have faith in Bethesda considering their achievements and games produced the last several years. Plus Pre-ordering through Amazon with their 20% off makes it hurt less if I don't get hours upon hours of use from it. They gave me several hundred hours of enjoyment from FO4 and Skyrim alone, I don't mind giving them a bit more $$.

Thats Noble, for sure. I, personally, still refuse to pre-order ANYTHING for the rest of my life, as I feel it has affected the industry that drastically I'm compelled to feel so strongly. But I also understand that Bethesda rarely has shitty products: if you're going to put faith in SOMETHING, that is faith well placed.

I too pre-ordered from Amazon with the 20% off. I played Frankenstein/Doom/Quake back in the day and have recently spent a few hours each on Fallout 4 and The Division. Just too steep a learning curve for this old fart. I just want a mindless FPS, and Doom should fit the bill nicely.

pre-ordering today!!!

Been looking forward to old blood as well as DOOM

Last edited:
I was feeling pretty pumped for Doom after watching the singleplayer campaign, but this whole review embargo has me concerned. I didn't preorder it so I'm not concerned about being a victim to a shoddy product.

Really hoping this review embargo means nothing and the product itself is complete and finished. Although reviews are very subjective, you'd at least be able to know how the game runs and if there's any major bugs with the product.

Friend sold me his extra preorder for $45. So, I'm in. We'll see how it goes. I doubt it'll be terrible. Boring is probably the worst it'll be.

First the horrible reviews on STEAM, now a review embargo until the game ships?

DOOM Review Codes Won't Be Available Until Launch Day

Have to say this shows not look good, at all... :(

Horrible reviews on Steam based on the BETA version of the game. Seems legit, seems reliable. /s

I still have faith in Bethesda. I'm a long-time arena shooter fan and veteran, and still find myself active in Quake Live / Zandronum every week. First impressions are starting to pop-out and everything is looking fine. Worst-case scenario, we're dealing with another above average shooter wrapped inside a Doom theme. I'm completely fine with that.

My first impressions (spoiler free) • /r/Doom Looks good to me. No more Doom 3 pop-up scares, just good ol' demons spawning up the ass and challenging your ability to track and maintain each and everyone of them.

If you watched the streams or actually played the beta, you'd know that the game is actually a lot of fun and is living up to the hype. I don't see this title being a dud, despite all the weird marketing channels the game's being fed into, but alas, that's just Bethesda for you these days. They have money to waste on bullshit like that, and they are absolutely destroying the casual console market IMO. Even my non-gamer friends are somehow getting mauled by all the hype (first was Fallout 4, now it's Doom.)

IMO, nothing to worry about. If anything, it's an attempt at maintaining hype as much as possible. I honestly pay little attention to the mainstream game critics. Money plays way too much of a part when it comes to reviewing major titles -- seeing it first-hand from a stream with actual live impressions that aren't feigned is a much better alternative. Suck it down.

Look at it this way, you win either way,.If it sucks, you don't buy it, and save your hard earn money. If it is good, then you will have fun playing the game.

TotalBiscuit streamed the single player for a bit today and it actually didn't look bad. I'm not fond of the monster arenas it throws you into but the levels look nice and the combat seems very fast and smooth. The frame rate is unlocked but it did end up locking him to 60FPS a couple times. Seems to be a bug, maybe related to alt-tabbing or something like that.

Well reading a bit, so far I'm glad the game seems to be good and didn't get the same fate as Duke Nuke'em.

I think it looks good, I don't preorder any games as that is just telling the gaming industry that you like to pay for shit in a box. I will get it eventually though. Normally I wait to make sure bugs are patched or reports that the game is not bug ridden. From what I have seen though, I'm thinking I won't have to wait for a patch with this one.

I'll definitely be buying it sometime, but I am already busy playing one game and have others in queue to add this now. It does look fun and really like the original doom from the videos I saw. Minimal story just kill everything, so that is a plus in my book for a Doom game.

TotalBiscuit streamed the single player for a bit today and it actually didn't look bad. I'm not fond of the monster arenas it throws you into but the levels look nice and the combat seems very fast and smooth. The frame rate is unlocked but it did end up locking him to 60FPS a couple times. Seems to be a bug, maybe related to alt-tabbing or something like that.

I think the cinemas are locked still, while gameplay is unlocked.

So I bought it, played through the first section last night and I really like it. It reminds me of Quake more than the original Doom. It's fast paced and I keep finding myself running around like a crack head dodging things and shooting explosives, lots of fun. I tried MP for a little bit - it's insane, the guys that have been playing MP since it launched had a definite advantage, since weapons unlock as you progress - I don't like that part. I wish it was everyone starts the same and you have to find the weapons like it used to be, but I'll get used to it.

The game looks fantastic and it runs on my 980ti at 1440p on ultra at around 100-110 fps solid. My laptop on the other hand has a little bit of trouble, 980m at 1080p medium and keeps it pretty solid at 60 fps.

Edit: I should also point out I was running the previous drivers, not the new Doom drivers that were released this morning.

I tried MP for a little bit - it's insane, the guys that have been playing MP since it launched had a definite advantage, since weapons unlock as you progress - I don't like that part.

it's a shame they did that. I stopped playing most MP FPS games when that trend started. Games that are less about pure skill and more about unlocking perks through grinding.

it's a shame they did that. I stopped playing most MP FPS games when that trend started. Games that are less about pure skill and more about unlocking perks through grinding.

Mother. Fucking. Seriously.

I was excited for this game, too. :(

Mother. Fucking. Seriously.

I was excited for this game, too. :(

I disagree with SeaFoam. The best weapon combo in the game is arguably the Vortex Rifle / Super Shotgun combination (one of the default loadouts that you're able to select when first getting into MP.)

Perks have nothing to do with how well you're going to do in MP. IMO, there's barely any advantage to having a higher level -- you just seem to be able to customize your character a bit more. After playing for about one hour, I had all the weapons unlocked as well as the demons. Not sure which elements you're calling out for being overpowered here, but there is definitely no Battlefield-syndrome at all from what I've seen so far.

You should still be excited... take his opinion with a grain of salt. A fully-charged Vortex Rifle headshot will kill an enemy instantly if they don't have armor. Hitting their body fully-charged will do about 80dmg. After you land that first shot, you can simple quick switch to your super shotgun to finish them off. If you don't finish them off with one SSG shot, you can bash/glory kill them.

I'm having a ton of fun with it, although I must say the single-player is a lot more engrossing and nostalgia-inducing than the multiplayer. The trend of getting stuff as you play is not going to go away anytime soon (console players seem to cream themselves over this minor implementation.) In Doom, it doesn't affect the core gameplay at all IMO. You won't have an advantage by having a higher level and unlocking more stuff. Period.

too broke to pick this up at the mo but that is exactly what I found in the beta. yes you have to unlock all the guns but I didn't really see any advantage for the guns you had to unlock. the default guns are just as good as the unlock guns. the unlock ones are just different. and the unlocks for character customizations provided no advantage at all just looks. what I would like to know is if they balanced the shotgun and rocket launcher?!

Best FPS I've played in quite some time. Awesome gunplay, tongue in cheek humor, over the top gore and amazing atmosphere. Not only is it absolutely beautiful but it runs fantastic! I can't say enough good things about it! Feels a lot like the new wolfenstein games, which is a good thing. I also found it pretty funny how many 'advanced' graphics options they give you. It's almost like they got fed up and said 'stop bitching... here, you want settings... have all the settings' lol

It is a great game and tons of fun imho, but does have issues. I'm sure many will react by saying "I've had no issues at all, it runs amazing", but the Steam forums are swamped with threads about crash to desktop and performance issues. The game runs nearly flawless for me, but I do have some crashes to desktop. At the end of the day, I can still recommend this game as I find the graphics and gameplay incredibly gratifying! Even taking into account my CTD issue, I rate the game as follows: SP: 8/10 MP: 7/10

That sucks. Yeah, I've had no issues (yet) *knock on wood* Hopefully iD gets it sorted out soon

Got it from Redbox Friday and this is the most fun I have had on a FPS in years. I havent touched MP or Snap Maps yet, may just end up buying the game. I am having more fun with it than Uncharted 4 (climbing simulator 2016)

It is a great game and tons of fun imho, but does have issues. I'm sure many will react by saying "I've had no issues at all, it runs amazing", but the Steam forums are swamped with threads about crash to desktop and performance issues. The game runs nearly flawless for me, but I do have some crashes to desktop. At the end of the day, I can still recommend this game as I find the graphics and gameplay incredibly gratifying! Even taking into account my CTD issue, I rate the game as follows: SP: 8/10 MP: 7/10

I'm currently dealing with a series of random desktop crashes. Instant application close to desktop without any error dialog.

Besides that, it's been running like a champ. The usual FPS slowdown when the effects start stacking up, but besides that ultra/8x is really holding up well.

Sorry to hear you are also having the CTD issue, but lets cross our fingers that it will be fixed with a patch. Thankfully, the issue has not rendered the game unplayable for me and I have enjoyed everything about the game so far! Just beat the Cyber Demon so I figure I'm a hair over halfway through the campaign.

Pretty much the same thing from me, ive probably had a 3-5 CTD and one instance where they game just froze but was fixed by ctrl+alt+del and clicking on the game in the taskbar. But other than that no other issues here and im quite happy with my purchase.

Back