Doom 4 E3 reveal.

True story...

I was going to hold off on buying this game... because I've got Fallout 4 and Battlefield 4 to play for a while and I can wait for a price drop.

My Fiance demanded I buy it so she could play it, then later challenge me to deathmatch. I'm not sure how deathmatch will workout with a modern shooter like this (is there LAN play?), but I'm sure it will end with with her raising my flag one way or another. For both of us, the original Doom was one of our first shooter games on PC. I fall more in love with this woman everyday.

Downloading now.

Short answer: It doesn't have deathmatch. This cannot be complained about enough.

I just got a "special offer" from GMG with a 22% off coupon for the Doom Season Pass. I didn't even buy Doom from GMG.

Guess maybe the Season Pass isn't selling well...

I wore my left middle finger "pad" (the w finger) down to almost getting a blister from playing so much, lol. It's been a LONG time since that happened. heh... All those jumps where you're going to die if you don't make it... hammering the forward button to reach the ledge. while moving my whole body forward like that's going to help somehow. heh.

I thought the platforming (jumping/ledge grabbing) was very well done in this game, especially for a FPS game, it did not feel clunky at all - it actually felt very intuitive/smooth to the point where I did not mind the platforming areas at all.

Quick Poll-How many of you guys play with the music off? I do like the hard rock/thrash type music when I'm about to get knee deep in demons...But, I find it gets a little too much. I actually like the sounds of my weapon mods opening and sounds of the bullets better. I tried playing with the music off and actually like it more...but Doom also is great with music on...Maybe I can l set it to 50 :)

Quick Poll-How many of you guys play with the music off? I do like the hard rock/thrash type music when I'm about to get knee deep in demons...But, I find it gets a little too much. I actually like the sounds of my weapon mods opening and sounds of the bullets better. I tried playing with the music off and actually like it more...but Doom also is great with music on...Maybe I can l set it to 50 :)

I agree. I'm going to turn the music down. It just isn't doing much for me.

I also agree with the comments about how well done the platforming is in this.

I like the music. It also serves a practical purpose, letting you know when there is still one asshole demon hiding somewhere.

I greatly enjoy the music. Just as how we love hearing our favorite tunes when driving or some other activity of preference. Music helps to enhance the moment, and I am really loving Doom's soundtrack. :)

I love the music. It is right up my alley and really speaks to me. The other night I was going through Argent Facility (Destroyed) for the first time and heard the music from E3M5 playing and I freaked out (in a good way).

The music is perfect! Nice industrial/metal mixture. Just the right amount metal, just the right amount industrial-electronic. Perfect for a game that includes things like "cyberdemons" :D The sound design is pretty close to perfect overall really.

Challenge accepted.
Way ahead of you. I'm on mission 12 of 13 playing with a controller on Ultra Violence, probably going to finish tonight. I was inspired after the Polygon video made the rounds (y). After that I'm going to try to get the Ultra Nightmare achievement for making it through The UAC while using a controller.

Yeah, I don't think it'd be all that impossible. I'm using a gamepad on default, and there is definitely some wiggle-room. I'm not dying very often at all really. I've died, but it could be quite a bit more difficult before I would think it was too hard. I have no intention of trying it any higher with the pad though. I'll wait until I'm playing on my desktop again.

Way ahead of you. I'm on mission 12 of 13 playing with a controller on Ultra Violence, probably going to finish tonight. I was inspired after the Polygon video made the rounds (y). After that I'm going to try to get the Ultra Nightmare achievement for making it through The UAC while using a controller.

You're a beast. I had trouble with the bosses on Hurt Me Plenty. Just beat the game today though -- bad news though. I crashed out of the game about 3/4 through and loaded back in with an error that said developer mode had been accessed and I could no longer get Steam achievements unless I turned it off. Didn't use cheats or anything, apparently it's a bug. And apparently the only way you can fix it is to delete your save file and start over -- which being 3/4 the way through, F that. I finished the last couple bosses without achievements so I can move on to Total War: Warhammer tomorrow, but enjoyed Doom thoroughly. I'm glad it ended with a way to pick back up in an expansion, season pass, or follow up game.

Viva la Denuvo. I see pirates spilling salty tears that they can't steal this game, and the only group that used to try circumventing Denuvo has thrown in the towel.

So much for all those that fear mongered Denuvo when it came out with LotF. Working pretty fucking good now. Wouldn't mind seeing it adopted industry wide.

I agree. Additional DRM is retarded. However, if a game is going to have it, I guess it should work properly. :D (as long as they patch it out, if it eventually goes away or no longer has a server)

Almost bought it last night for $40 off g2a. Iunno. Its summer time and I have so much work to do I can't get myself sucked into the game. I think this will be a winter purchase for me.

It's really not that long of a game. I think I'm pretty close to the end and I have about 6.5 hours into it, and that is with quite a bit of backtracking and finding most of the secrets (will have to replay the first couple of levels for 100% though).

I'm not sure where that original 13 hour number came from...seems like you'd really have to move slowly to draw it out that much, or die a whole lot. :p

Still definitely worth picking up, though. The SP campaign is awesome and SnapMap should add some value as well.

Almost bought it last night for $40 off g2a. Iunno. Its summer time and I have so much work to do I can't get myself sucked into the game. I think this will be a winter purchase for me.

That's a mistake!

:D

Oh well, you'll have a really good game to play in the winter then. I have to build a deck this weekend for my house, so I have to finish up my first play-through before then. I'm almost there though.

As a side note, one thing I am not a fan of is reusing maps in the campaign...seems kind of lazy.

One small thing I do like is that if you backtrack to look for secrets, enemies will randomly spawn even in areas that you previously cleared. Keeps you on your toes and makes it interesting rather than just running through a completely empty map (although for the most part that is what you're doing).

That's a mistake!

:D

Oh well, you'll have a really good game to play in the winter then. I have to build a deck this weekend for my house, so I have to finish up my first play-through before then. I'm almost there though.
I have the chicken coop repaired with pieces of pallet. Roof has started to get soft on the barn too. Past two weeks I've been getting the hairy eyeball from my wife. eep

As a side note, one thing I am not a fan of is reusing maps in the campaign...seems kind of lazy.

One small thing I do like is that if you backtrack to look for secrets, enemies will randomly spawn even in areas that you previously cleared. Keeps you on your toes and makes it interesting rather than just running through a completely empty map (although for the most part that is what you're doing).
The only map they reused is Argent Facility, and there is a lot more to explore going through it the second time.

Enemies don't randomly spawn if you backtrack. You probably either just didn't trigger all of them or missed some when going through the first time.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
New NVidia driver activates afr2 natively for SLI. Scaling on my 980 Ti's are in the 90's but stuttering and FPS is in the tank....Better with using one card for now until Doom Devs get the issue with shadows/SLi fixed....

The only map they reused is Argent Facility, and there is a lot more to explore going through it the second time.

Enemies don't randomly spawn if you backtrack. You probably either just didn't trigger all of them or missed some when going through the first time.

It seemed about the same to me both times but I guess there is more stuff to find. I guess though for how relatively few maps there are it just seemed a bit lazy to reuse one.

I am pretty sure if you wait long enough enemies will spawn in an area that you've already cleared if you walk back through it. It's happened to me a few times. Usually it's not a full-out battle but like 3-4 enemies may appear.

Caught this phrase coming from the holographic spokesman in the game. Made me laugh:

"Should you find yourself caught in a level 3 demon contamination event, it is important that you remain calm. A Tier 3 Fellow wouldn't panic and neither should you."

It seemed about the same to me both times but I guess there is more stuff to find. I guess though for how relatively few maps there are it just seemed a bit lazy to reuse one.

I am pretty sure if you wait long enough enemies will spawn in an area that you've already cleared if you walk back through it. It's happened to me a few times. Usually it's not a full-out battle but like 3-4 enemies may appear.
Hmm... Haven't noticed. I spent two hours on Argent Facility (Destroyed) looking for the classic level and no new enemies spawned for me the whole time. When I found out where it was after getting the map at the right angle I probably died about a dozen times trying to make the jump back until I finally made it, too.
Because it was back at the beginning of the map that meant I had to run back through the whole thing from where the last checkpoint was every time I died.
Caught this phrase coming from the holographic spokesman in the game. Made me laugh:

"Should you find yourself caught in a level 3 demon contamination event, it is important that you remain calm. A Tier 3 Fellow wouldn't panic and neither should you."
It does sound funny at first, but one of the environment codex entries you find later on makes it more disturbing in nature as to the reasoning.

It does sound funny at first, but one of the environment codex entries you find later on makes it more disturbing in nature as to the reasoning.

I didn't read that codex entry, but I know what's happening with that. :eek:

Out of context though, I find it quite funny. We actually have a running joke at my work about running "level 3 diagnostics" and escalating problems to "tier 3". :D (Systems Admin/Eng by day...)

Anyone notice any downward spikes in gpu usage? I'll be at 98/99% gpu usage, then all of a sudden, it will spike downwards to 70% or whatever for a split second, and then shoot back to 98/99%. This is all in the span of like one second. Is this a bug in the game? Is it my gpu? Anyone know what could be causing this?

Anyone notice any downward spikes in gpu usage? I'll be at 98/99% gpu usage, then all of a sudden, it will spike downwards to 70% or whatever for a split second, and then shoot back to 98/99%. This is all in the span of like one second. Is this a bug in the game? Is it my gpu? Anyone know what could be causing this?

I'm on a 970 / 4690K / 16GB on the driver version that came out a few days before Doom was released. (not at home, so not sure what the rev number is) I haven't seen a single spike during my entire play-through. I got one CTD, but that was when Windows 10 decided to prompt for a reboot, and the game didn't recover. I've got most things on high or ultra, but motion blur on low, and AA on one of the lower settings. It's been smooth as silk at 1080.

Has it done this since you got it, or maybe after a driver update? I've read about some oddness after some of the NV driver updates that came out after the game.

I'm on 368.22. It happens pretty infrequently, so I can't say for certain if it's driver related. I don't recall this happening when I first got it, but I can't say for sure. All I know is it's pretty annoying because the game will be smooth, then for a split second, it will become choppy, then smooth again.

I'm on 368.22. It happens pretty infrequently, so I can't say for certain if it's driver related. I don't recall this happening when I first got it, but I can't say for sure. All I know is it's pretty annoying because the game will be smooth, then for a split second, it will become choppy, then smooth again.

That would bother me too. Looks like you're on a 980Ti too, which is way faster than my card. What res are you playing at?

Oh, just had a thought or two.

What type of storage are you using? My install is on a nice SSD. I wonder if it's loading the textures in that causes the problem?

Second related thought is the texture buffer option. Maybe play with that a bit?

I'm at 1440p. I wouldn't think resolution would matter in this case, since I'm at above 60 fps probably like 99% of the time. Maybe I'll try playing some other games and see if I see the same thing.

I'm also on an SSD. I'm gonna just try some other games and see if I see the same thing. If I see the same problems in other games, then there's probably something in my rig that's causing it.

I'm at 1440p. I wouldn't think resolution would matter in this case, since I'm at above 60 fps probably like 99% of the time. Maybe I'll try playing some other games and see if I see the same thing.

I'm also on an SSD. I'm gonna just try some other games and see if I see the same thing. If I see the same problems in other games, then there's probably something in my rig that's causing it.

Probably a good idea. Also, you might try swapping to another VSync mode. I usually force full sync, and don't use adaptive...

spacer.gif

I think I'm one of the few that didn't like it.

Shooting is ok, the game is challenging. The game is of great quality but there are two things that won't let me enjoy the game: the environment is very static. I was really surprised that stuff doesn't break, you can't play around with physics etc.

The whole enter arena, clear, repeat is a massive immersion breaker and introduces a boring and predictable schema.

It's funny how much more fun I had with brutal doom, probably because of the maps and enemies placement: exploring was just fun and felt natural

spacer.gif
The game is of great quality but there are two things that won't let me enjoy the game: the environment is very static. I was really surprised that stuff doesn't break, you can't play around with physics etc.

While I'm loving the game I can agree with that. I was disappointed when I pushed a red barrel into molten lava whatever and it didn't explode.

So... what recent or classic FPS does this match most? I may wind up getting this if its interesting enough for me by mid July (b-day!).

Back