Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

• My RTX 2080 Died

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti Died

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • My RTX is a Founders Edition

Votes: 62 28.2%
  • I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

Votes: 156 70.9%

• Total voters
Get the replacement, have it fail, sell to Kyle at full price... win-win !!
EDIT: even better, if they still have your defective card (I didn't read the whole thread sorry) ask them to return it and sell it to Kyle...
It's not a founders edition. The failures aren't space invaders. The issues I'm having are really difficult to nail down. First two cards artifacted badly, they stuttered and would crash games and I would get this annoying screen flicker/tearing that put a bunch of strain on my eyes. So, whatever the hell it was doing behind the scenes wasn't right.

I updated the BIOS on the card, that's new. There wasn't a BIOS update for the Black Edition until like, today, as far as I am aware. Running it downstairs I had a super odd visual hang while watching amazon video. The card kicked an error and my Denon choked for about 3 seconds. I figured out the Chroma issue. Damn Nvidia isn't allowing me to push 4:4:4 to the Denon. Which pisses me off even more because I'm tired of buying receivers that don't support full color compression. I switched the video to Full RGB, which is about as close as I can get the max chroma. Had a couple other hard video chokes that I had initially dismissed as the Receiver switching processing on and off... However, thinking back, never had that issue with the 1080GTX that was in there before.

I'm going to pull the Denon out of the loop, push the video straight from the board to the TV. I suspect that will correct my Chroma problem, I already have optical going to the receiver from an external Creative Sound Card. I will also be able to see whatever oddities were making the video choke when pushed through the receiver.

I had heard some good stuff about EVGA over and over again. After reading their bullshit response... I will never buy another card from them.

yeah i also read all the praise for evga but had problems with 3/3 cards and their CS. welcome to the "it's just you, they're great" club

Reactions: N4CR
like this
For all the skeptics out there that think it's my system not the video cards:

View attachment 133084

Not sure how this makes it any more or less likely to be your system. Edit: because I’m blind. I just read the restocking fee part on mobile first pass.

Regarding chroma and all that, are you using 8 bit color? You also have HDMI 2.0 specs to deal with. If greater than 8 bit then something has to give to keep bandwidth low enough.

Last edited:
Not sure how this makes it any more or less likely to be your system. Edit: because I’m blind. I just read the restocking fee part on mobile first pass.

Regarding chroma and all that, are you using 8 bit color? You also have HDMI 2.0 specs to deal with. If greater than 8 bit then something has to give to keep bandwidth low enough.
I am running 8 bit color. The Nvidia drivers won't push anything above 4:2:0 to my Denon. Honestly, the whole experience with this video card has been nothing short of the largest pain in my ass I can recall over a decade. Part of me says bite the bullet and eat the restocking fee, the other part of me says keep fighting. I think I will test the shit out of this board, first. It's behaving "differently" after the BIOS update and I won't necessarily say that's for the better. I might just have to send a nasty email to their support department, or twelve.

Edit: I just spent 4 hours on my Den rig with my old 1080Ti. Not a damn issue, everything was as close to perfect as I could imagine. It's a night and day difference when I drop that 2080Ti in. I will say that frame rates tend to be wonderful on the 2080Ti when it feels like cooperating. I just want the damn 2080Ti to work like my other cards do (my 1080 & 1080Ti)... I probably need to sleep. lol

No sleep yet, I just pulled the Denon out of the equation. That was the problem with the Chroma settings. Did a direct Video Card to HDMI 2 on my TV and 4:4:4 Chroma is now an option. I need to go to sleep, but I don't want to be doing this shit during the work week if I can help it.

3:44 Am Update: Brand new front room computer... I figured out what the Video hang on the Denon was about. At about an hour and a half into the Ballad of Lefty Brown (running the video straight to the TV from the video card), the video card experienced some sort of complete lockup for about a second or two, prior to resuming video playback. Whatever the hell this new glitch is, is what causes the Denon's video processor to throw fits. So, once again I am chasing bizarre issues after the latest BIOS update.
-What I can say is that the screen flickering seems to be absent. EVGA had insisted that I apply the BIOS update and it would clear up the flickering. Looks like they isolated one issue and created another as a result (because I've never encountered a video lockup like this before) and I'm wondering if it coincides with the screen flickering or, rather, the suppressed screen flickering.

Last edited:
I am running 8 bit color. The Nvidia drivers won't push anything above 4:2:0 to my Denon. Honestly, the whole experience with this video card has been nothing short of the largest pain in my ass I can recall over a decade. Part of me says bite the bullet and eat the restocking fee, the other part of me says keep fighting. I think I will test the shit out of this board, first. It's behaving "differently" after the BIOS update and I won't necessarily say that's for the better. I might just have to send a nasty email to their support department, or twelve.

Edit: I just spent 4 hours on my Den rig with my old 1080Ti. Not a damn issue, everything was as close to perfect as I could imagine. It's a night and day difference when I drop that 2080Ti in. I will say that frame rates tend to be wonderful on the 2080Ti when it feels like cooperating. I just want the damn 2080Ti to work like my other cards do (my 1080 & 1080Ti)... I probably need to sleep. lol

No sleep yet, I just pulled the Denon out of the equation. That was the problem with the Chroma settings. Did a direct Video Card to HDMI 2 on my TV and 4:4:4 Chroma is now an option. I need to go to sleep, but I don't want to be doing this shit during the work week if I can help it.

3:44 Am Update: Brand new front room computer... I figured out what the Video hang on the Denon was about. At about an hour and a half into the Ballad of Lefty Brown (running the video straight to the TV from the video card), the video card experienced some sort of complete lockup for about a second or two, prior to resuming video playback. Whatever the hell this new glitch is, is what causes the Denon's video processor to throw fits. So, once again I am chasing bizarre issues after the latest BIOS update.
-What I can say is that the screen flickering seems to be absent. EVGA had insisted that I apply the BIOS update and it would clear up the flickering. Looks like they isolated one issue and created another as a result (because I've never encountered a video lockup like this before) and I'm wondering if it coincides with the screen flickering or, rather, the suppressed screen flickering.

Here's how it works in the UK:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires all goods that are bought or sold in the UK to be:
  • as described - the good should match any sample you were shown
  • of satisfactory quality - any defect or issue should have been made clear to you when you bought the goods
  • fit for purpose - you should be able to use the good for its everyday purpose, as agreed with the seller
If your goods do not meet one or more of these criteria, the retailer is in breach of contract, which would give rise for you to claim under the Sale of Goods Act.

So like, 15% restocking fee?! After 3-4 failed cards!? I'd accept nothing short of a full refund and shipping paid for return of latest duff card. Anything less puts them in breach of contract.

It might not hurt to check the Denon thread for that model on AVS. You mentioned "pushing 4:4:4" to the Denon, but they call it a handshake for a reason. The Denon and video card are negotiating and coming out with the conclusion that 4:4:4 isn't an option, which unfortunately is why hdfury products are still a thing. They can help to diagnose what's going wrong with a handshake, and even inject custom EDID information into the equation to repair these sorts of issues.

It might not hurt to check the Denon thread for that model on AVS. You mentioned "pushing 4:4:4" to the Denon, but they call it a handshake for a reason. The Denon and video card are negotiating and coming out with the conclusion that 4:4:4 isn't an option, which unfortunately is why hdfury products are still a thing. They can help to diagnose what's going wrong with a handshake, and even inject custom EDID information into the equation to repair these sorts of issues.
Believe it or not, I have a HD Fury device. Really hadn't needed it until now. No issues on the TV to Card recognizing the TV's capabilities properly. Card to Receiver... Another layer of research I will get around to eventually ;). The Denon I have is a 2017 model. I will have to do some digging. Right now, I'm just going to ponder my options and play some games on the old video card.

So the current problem might be some kind of external device compatibility?

So the current problem might be some kind of external device compatibility?

Denon had a world of issues with the initial 4K Blu-ray players, then subsequent firmware updates with varied success based upon model. It wouldn't shock me to see issues with a new video card, since that's really more obscure than the (relatively more simple) world of dedicated players.

I've honestly grown weary of AV receivers b/c they really like to sell you new ones as often as possible.

Denon had a world of issues with the initial 4K Blu-ray players, then subsequent firmware updates with varied success based upon model. It wouldn't shock me to see issues with a new video card, since that's really more obscure than the (relatively more simple) world of dedicated players.

I've honestly grown weary of AV receivers b/c they really like to sell you new ones as often as possible.

This and the fact that video tech is still evolving so much faster than audio which makes whatever receiver you invest in basically obsolete within just a handful of years if you are feeding your video through it. I just skip the AV receiver all together when it comes to video - feed the TV directly from whatever the source is. Since that's basically a 4k Ultra Blueray player and everything else is streaming these days, the need for a AV receiver to juggle multiple input sources simply isn't such a big deal anymore. I just let the TV feed the AV receiver as to sound.

Bottom line, if I'm hooking my PC up to the TV, I'm not having the 2080TI route through an AV receiver. It's going straight to the display.

This and the fact that video tech is still evolving so much faster than audio which makes whatever receiver you invest in basically obsolete within just a handful of years if you are feeding your video through it. I just skip the AV receiver all together when it comes to video - feed the TV directly from whatever the source is. Since that's basically a 4k Ultra Blueray player and everything else is streaming these days, the need for a AV receiver to juggle multiple input sources simply isn't such a big deal anymore. I just let the TV feed the AV receiver as to sound.

Bottom line, if I'm hooking my PC up to the TV, I'm not having the 2080TI route through an AV receiver. It's going straight to the display.

Yeah the iterations of HDMI + HDCP were maddening, on top of evolving surround sound standards.

With game consoles, a streaming box, and the pc.. and a TV with just 4 inputs, I wound up using one of these: https://www.gefen.com/product/4k-ultra-hd-600-mhz-4x1-switcher-EXT-UHD600-41

Basically anything that requires pretty video processing goes straight into the display (ie Oppo 203, Apple TV), then I run things I want in game mode thru the Gefen. Still not a cheap solution, but far more affordable than a new receiver. Edit: The current price is a bit higher.. they were ~$250ish.

Last edited:

I was initially trying to cut down on cable madness, I lost that fight anyway. I had a really shitty RCA TV before this one and the display image was dismal. Pushing it through the receiver solved 99% of my display issues for video playback. Now with the Samsung, those issues are a thing of the past. Gotcha, from now on, straight to TV.

I just shot EVGA a response to their 15% restocking fee email. I was less colorful than I am on here. Trying to keep the distaste professional for now.

I cited my experiences with 4 discrete computers that I've tested the damn boards on now. My 9600, 8600, 4790 and Ryzen 1700. If I couldn't get the damn thing to function properly on any of those computers then it's a piece of steaming donkey feces that I don't want.

Note: My 4790 shit the bed when my MX300 Crucial SSD utterly failed. It wasn't the main board, processor or ram that bit the pillow.

After well over two hundred hours of testing on multiple computers I think their response should be a bit more like full refund. Either that or they should pay me for testing their defective crap ;)

Have you posted on the EVGA forums. There are mods there who work for EVGA. I'm sure one of them would sort this bullshit about the restocking fee.

Have you posted on the EVGA forums. There are mods there who work for EVGA. I'm sure one of them would sort this bullshit about the restocking fee.
You know, I hadn't even considered that. Much appreciated on the information. I will see what they respond with from support and I can start a thread there to complain if necessary. Though, I'm wondering just how "great" their customer service actually is after the out poring of ire I have seen on here for them.

You know, I hadn't even considered that. Much appreciated on the information. I will see what they respond with from support and I can start a thread there to complain if necessary. Though, I'm wondering just how "great" their customer service actually is after the out poring of ire I have seen on here for them.

I mean the people that had an issue are always going to bitch the loudest. EVGA has been nothing short of fantastic for me, and ASUS is the worst I've ever dealt with.

I'd recommend to reach out to Jacob Freeman if needed.

Even taking a complete devil's advocate position, I would bet that they'll be as glad to see you go away as you will them. The list of failed parts that you've mentioned in this thread is ... something else.

I mean the people that had an issue are always going to bitch the loudest. EVGA has been nothing short of fantastic for me, and ASUS is the worst I've ever dealt with.

I'd recommend to reach out to Jacob Freeman if needed.

Even taking a complete devil's advocate position, I would bet that they'll be as glad to see you go away as you will them. The list of failed parts that you've mentioned in this thread is ... something else.
Honestly, I don't know if the third one is defect at the moment. Odd issues aside I had to sit at home while a technician looked at some issues on my new fireplace and I just stress tested the current card on my front room system under Heaven and Furmark. No issues. After the BIOS update the damn thing might just have resolved the flickering. Odd video hitching aside, I will take this puppy back up to my den and put it through it's paces.

I hear you on the feelings of the EVGA staff. I haven't given them any reason to hate me yet. I have been rather professional when communicating with their staff. Very much appreciated on the contact over there for help if needed.

Gotta get back to the job before I don't have one anymore

I hear you on the feelings of the EVGA staff. I haven't given them any reason to hate me yet.

Less the feelings of the staff than a business perspective. I've had customers that actually spend relatively small amounts of money with me, but consume my time like nobody's business. Cool customers, very nice.. but will hurt my business if I let them. EVGA's perspective wouldn't be time, but product.

Anyways good luck.

Less the feelings of the staff than a business perspective. I've had customers that actually spend relatively small amounts of money with me, but consume my time like nobody's business. Cool customers, very nice.. but will hurt my business if I let them. EVGA's perspective wouldn't be time, but product.

Anyways good luck.
Yup, yup.

I'm having terrible stuttering in games since switching to a 2080. It's maddening.

Brand new cable, certified, no less...

Another unadulterated video:

(none of this happens on the 1080Ti I just pulled or the 1080GTX I have)

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_204909.jpg
    IMG_20190107_204909.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 0
Might want to try a different cable just in case, but no thats not right.
Please see above, brand new cable on the advice of another reader and poster. I agree, it was a good idea. I took him up on it, just didn't work... Wish it had.

Brand new cable, certified, no less...

Another unadulterated video:

(none of this happens on the 1080Ti I just pulled or the 1080GTX I have)

I have been following your journey here, and I am starting to wonder if you have display compatibility issue. I had some issues with the 2080 Ti FE when I got it that turned out to be the fault of the display. Not like you are seeing, but maybe worth trying another display if you have one?????

Please see above, brand new cable on the advice of another reader and poster. I agree, it was a good idea. I took him up on it, just didn't work... Wish it had.

Ahh well you must have posted at almost the same time. Yeah that sucks a new cable didnt work. Try underclocking the card and see if it goes away.

Well, at the end of this journey if it turns out that my Den display hates the 2080Ti and every thing else works on it... That's a deal breaker for me. Gonna press EVGA for that refund. Better off with my old 1080Ti at this point. Not making me feel amazing for the future by any means, however, pretty hard to find a 4:4:4 Chroma monitor in the 350 buck price range. I'm tapped out, I have dumped a stupid amount of money into testing this damn card. Built a brand new computer, was close to losing my shit... I have to laugh though. Kyle just saved my sanity. I will keep the card if I can't get it refunded. However, if I can, I'm buying myself some nasty ass over clocked 1080Ti that just came out of some miner's rig and waiting for the 7nm Nvidia board in 2020.

I had that issue on the first two cards I worked with. I'm no expert, however, I pretty much blame damn near everything on Nvidia these days ;)
Yeah, you've put a lot of work in this thread. I'm with you on Nvidia... F*CK THEM!!! Gonna reinstall my 1080 Ti and hope things get back to normal. Will see if Newegg is open to refund for my 2080, but I doubt it.

Yeah, you've put a lot of work in this thread. I'm with you on Nvidia... F*CK THEM!!! Gonna reinstall my 1080 Ti and hope things get back to normal. Will see if Newegg is open to refund for my 2080, but I doubt it.
If not them, contact the manufacturer. Because, you deserve a good card that works as advertised.

As far as the work is concerned, I didn't do anything that anyone else on here wouldn't do. I was able to prove two cards were bad. The third... had issues a BIOS update fixed and then there's it's hatred for my den display (It didn't have visual tearing it had in my videos prior to the BIOS update FYI). The funny thing is that I had the same bizarre issues on a Samsung 49" Qled display I returned when I had the first card. I got my 700 bucks back and didn't have the same issue on my 350 dollar TCL 405 display. The first two cards shit the bed, this one works save for the fact that it hates the display (which the first two didn't). That strikes me as a GPU issue.

I'm a little worn out from testing shit... I don't hate Nvidia, I'm just rather unhappy with corporate bullshit. I work in a huge corporation, I see this shit there and I see it at Nvidia and AMD (AMD is not a white knight just because they are an underdog and have been screwed by Intel). I wish hardware manufacturers released well tested hardware and owned their damn mistakes, correcting the shit before it hit the wild. Doesn't happen. Everyone is like Eli Lilly, release a drug that kills tens of thousands because the profit will out weigh the lawsuits and their payouts.

Please note: I've personally mentioned Eli Lilly Pharma on at least 3-4 occasions because I did an ethics study on them in college. I still buy their drugs! :eek: I could have cited walmart or Nike but they have the most tangible effect on American Citizenry and as an American I always default to them as the evil entity. Yet, I still buy their drugs :eek::eek::eek:. So, I guess I am just a whore for good drugs and hardware ;).

I will still buy Nvidia cards because... They have consistent FPS and are the top dog at the moment.

Last edited:
I sent the video to EVGA to see what they think of it. So, the visual tearing didn't happen prior to the BIOS update. It fixed the Screen flickering on the TCL in my DEN and my other monitors (the flickering happened on my Samsung (4:4:4) and Visio (4:2:2) 4K displays as well as the TCL (4:4:4)). Now post update, no screen flickering on the TCL but visual tearing, Samsung is now seemingly immune save for video hang issues which are intermittent (either through the receiver or direct to the TV). I told them to excuse the language in the video... lol.

Latest update before I hit the hay. All visual issues have disappeared in gaming on my main rig. The card is running like a champ, I had the best performance in games to date and it's what I would have expected from the 2080Ti from the onset. However, it got me thinking. FurMark is an OpenGL benchmark. The games I was playing were not running OpenGL. So, that indicates to me that it's not the TCL TV. The issues only manifest in OpenGL. So... You do the math. Kyle got me thinking it might be display incompatibility. Sounded wonderful and that might answer a lot of my nightmare over the past couple months. However, every time I fire up FurMark that visual tearing is present. Leads me to believe that this card still has issues. We will see what EVGA has to say about my less than Kosher video.

Latest update before I hit the hay. All visual issues have disappeared in gaming on my main rig. The card is running like a champ, I had the best performance in games to date and it's what I would have expected from the 2080Ti from the onset. However, it got me thinking. FurMark is an OpenGL benchmark. The games I was playing were not running OpenGL. So, that indicates to me that it's not the TCL TV. The issues only manifest in OpenGL. So... You do the math. Kyle got me thinking it might be display incompatibility. Sounded wonderful and that might answer a lot of my nightmare over the past couple months. However, every time I fire up FurMark that visual tearing is present. Leads me to believe that this card still has issues. We will see what EVGA has to say about my less than Kosher video.

That Furmark issues looks like some kind of refresh/screen tearing syncing problem. If you play around with the vsync settings (off, on, variable etc) does it go away?

That Furmark issues looks like some kind of refresh/screen tearing syncing problem. If you play around with the vsync settings (off, on, variable etc) does it go away?
I hadn't had a chance to try that yet. I'm familiar with V-sync screen tearing, while this looks similar it all brings me full circle to ... There's an issue with the 2080Ti and / or Kyle is right, the TV hates the 2080Ti...

No problems with any of the other video cards I have. The first card artifacted badly on all my TV's. The second had the screen flickering issue and some artifacts. This one had the screen flickering until a BIOS update... Now this under openGL.

Honestly, I need to skip this generation, lol. It's ridiculous how many hours I've spent looking for answers. How much money I've spent either questioning all the components in my systems or not and going back and forth with EVGA.

This is not EVGA's fault, it's Nvidia's , pretty hard to look at it any other way IMO.

After more checking, my 2080 problem was the EK water cooler. It's defective and caused the card to malfunction. Newegg will replace my 2080, but I'm not going to keep the new one. I'll try to sell it and stick with my 1080 ti until the next gen.

After more checking, my 2080 problem was the EK water cooler. It's defective and caused the card to malfunction. Newegg will replace my 2080, but I'm not going to keep the new one. I'll try to sell it and stick with my 1080 ti until the next gen.
That sucks they won't do a refund. Glad to hear that they will do the replacement though. Best of luck on unloading it, it shouldn't be an issue. Lots of hungry people out there for the new tech. Lots of people that don't know what we do, lol.

Well, I just shot my own theory to death. OpenGL is not the issue. I fired up Doom and it ran fine. Something odd is going on in FurMark on the 4K/UHD benchmark. I am not seeing the issues any longer in games, thus far. I will have to see what video playback is like and if if freezes on this rig like it did on my front room pc.

Back