Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Nov 1, 2018.

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

1. My RTX 2080 Died

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. My RTX 2080 Ti Died

30 vote(s)
    13.7%
  3. My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

13 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

26 vote(s)
    11.9%
  9. My RTX is a Founders Edition

62 vote(s)
    28.3%
  10. I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

156 vote(s)
    71.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

That's very interesting. I never knew there was more than the one model. I thought they were all O11G.

2. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

I had sincerely hoped that these issues were disappearing from the marketplace... However, this just feels to me like Nvidia never actually corrected a damn thing. They may have been able to dial things in a bit, however, the flawed silicon is still out there. Which makes me wonder what the current rate of failure is this late in the production cycle...

I, truly, hope someone can expose what's actually going on with this generation of cards... I'm really not a betting man, however, I have faith in someone here to shed some light on it for all of us.

joobjoob likes this.
  3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Director of Enthusiast Engagement at Intel Staff Member

Our Space Invaders card is undergoing thermal testing this weekend. Monday we will start memory and memory infrastructure testing. Getting thermal out of the way seemed like a good place to start.

joobjoob, noko, Starrbuck and 5 others like this.
  4. Legendary Gamer

I knew it! Thank you! Looking forward to whatever you find out.

5. Auer

Auer Limp Gawd

Because of stuff like this I decided to send [H] some cash every month, Very cool. Thanks.

N4CR, Legendary Gamer and DooKey like this.
  6. Legendary Gamer

Well, after a couple weeks of no issues I encountered something new I can't explain. It seems similar to the white screens with digital pixels I noticed in screen flashes before. This, however, is like that ... only sustained. Completely locked my system and made it unresponsive, I had to do a hard reset to get my system back up. I think there are still issues here, just they're taking their sweet ass time manifesting. I have been noticing my screen blanking with some increased frequency. Especially noticeable when opening a web browser, my video display will blank out for a second or two and then resume as normal. It was also happening when exiting streaming video on amazon. What's really odd is that I can see flickering pixels between the text I'm typing now. As if there is a line connecting each letter to one another. I have included both videos below.

7. jamse101

jamse101 n00b

Someone posted this on NVIDIA forums yesterday:

"All RTX cards produced in September/October have a defective VRM components (no matter which manufacter/memory).
    If you buy a RTX card, make sure your card is produced in November and later (Check S/N).
    Sorry for my bad English."

Then says later that the info is from MSI and Palit employees.

joobjoob likes this.
  8. Legendary Gamer

Is there any way you could get the official post & weblink? That way we can shoot it over to Kyle to verify.

9. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

It would make sense since people with waterblocks don’t seem to have issues as far as I have heard.

10. scajjr29

scajjr29 n00b

My EVGA 2080Ti XC Hybrid has been running 10-12 hrs a day for a month now w/no issues. Highest I've seen my temp get is 56c in games.

Sam

11. Kyle_Bennett

I was told off the record that MANY AIBs were experiencing returns in excess of the 20% mark while I was at CES, from several people that would KNOW those numbers.

N4CR, joobjoob, noko and 1 other person like this.
  12. Legendary Gamer

Good lord...

13. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah that's not good. I'm wondering if people are still buying cards now that are failing. Was it just an initial run of them.

14. Legendary Gamer

Kind of makes you wonder if this will spill over into the RTX equipped laptops....

Maddness likes this.
  15. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

My late Oct Asus 2080ti is still running after 3 months. My replacement EVGA 2080ti has been running a little over a month 24/7. Here's crossing my fingers that the Asus card holds out.

Legendary Gamer and Maddness like this.
  16. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

With entirely separate PCBs and different power envelopes, one would expect any issues with the mobile parts to be separate from what has affected the first desktop parts.

Can't say I would personally count them out, though. I'd want to wait and see.

17. Legendary Gamer

So long as there's no actual flaw in the RTX core silicon, then yeah, won't be issues in the mobile parts. We do have to wait and see.

18. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

They're mentioning a VRM issue above which tracks plausibly with the failures we've seen; I'd imagine that a failure of the board designers to understand the core's requirements could be an issue that perhaps propagated to other parts though. I hope not.

19. Legendary Gamer

I know... It's just hard to believe that Nvidia even got the VRMs wrong too, in addition to the AIB cards. Plus we now have the possibility of corrupted silicon from TSMC and god knows what else... Even some custom cards, like higher end ROG boards failed with enhanced VRMs. Maybe it was just Space Magic...

20. KickAssCop

KickAssCop [H]ardness Supreme

Are these cards still blowing up?

21. Legendary Gamer

I don't have the figures on the numbers. I see the occasional issue here, though on the Nvidia forums there are more. Kyle recently told us he was told off the record that AIB vendors were seeing a 20% RMA rate.

IDK personally. My third card does some wonky stuff on occasion, I don't trust it but it works most of the time...

22. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

What sort of things does it do.

23. Legendary Gamer

All the things I've listed here in this thread. I have a couple videos up of it's oddities.

System lockup resulting in a "static" white screen. Looks like an old CRT TV just with multicolored pixels.

Bizarre pixel traces between characters on screen at times (it disappeared recently).

Random screen blanks, like the card is switching video modes.

Occasional screen flickering in some applications.

Overall, though, it's been stable. Though I do firmly believe it's a POS. Just waiting for it to die, to be quite honest.

Maddness likes this.
  24. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

I got a replacement 2080 Ti Strix from Amazon and this one so far has been working fine (previous one died within a day). Has Samsung memory instead of Micron this time. They were out of the regular, so got the OC version as well, has an A chip.

Hopefully, this one doesn't die on me... Pretty happy with the card as far as noise levels and performance goes. My old Vega 64 was the Nitro+ version which has a pretty solid cooler and I had it undervolted as well, but the 2080 Ti Strix is still quieter. Impressive considering it's giving like 80-100% more performance in many games.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Chimpee, Maddness and Legendary Gamer like this.
  25. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

The nvidia drivers of late have had some weird issues with flickering screens, videos, browsers etc. In monster hunter world, I can't play the ingame tutorial videos because it will CRASH my game. Previous versions caused me weird flickering in my browser when watching videos due to me using a gsync monitor and a non gsync combo on my system.

Some of my mkv files shows really messed up corruption when trying to skip time index within the video. I was re-watching the orville and wanted to skip the intro and for the first 10 seconds of playback after skipping to a time index, it was just a garbled mess of pixels for video. Previous versions of drivers showed no problems.

Legendary Gamer likes this.
  26. Legendary Gamer

Well, hot damn, I thought I was going crazy. Glad to know someone else is suffering right along with me ;) . So, it's the drivers? I've been seeing this stuff on my 2080Ti through every driver update. It's pretty hard for me to completely blame the drivers when you would figure that Nvidia is well aware of this stuff by now. I hope it's just the drivers because the alternative my mind jumps to is some sort of underlying rendering flaw in this generations hardware.

27. phawkins633

phawkins633 [H]Lite

As of last week, my Asus 2080 ti Strix started showing artifacts while playing Wolfenstein2....it's a little buggy, so I reinstalled the Nvidia Driver...nope. So I tried playing Doom and several other older titles....same thing. Ran Furmark Memory test and immediately showed artifacts. Contacted Asus and talked to the tech rep about an RMA. He said they don't cross ship, so it would take up to a month. He said they would trouble shoot it and repair it if they could. The conversation constantly had a tone that there was a likelihood of Crypto mining stress or overclocking, none of which I have done. So, I'm just returning it to Amazon for a refund, then getting an EVGA 2080ti. Gonna give it another shot. Wishing now the new Radeon was worth a shit....

28. Legendary Gamer

Sorry to hear about your issues. Looks like every manufacturer is desperate to blame the owner so they don't have to take more returns. EVGA's returns are a bit easier and typically you get them in a week. I can't say the BS you face from their customer service is any better once you get a couple RMAs deep though, your first one will be easy.

I think the Radeon VII is worth a damn. It's just not as fast or faster than a 2080Ti in most workloads. Though it kicks the crap out of even the latest Titans in certain rendering and video editing scenarios. Which it is actually being marketed as a Professional Consumer card. It's not the card for me either though. Too damn long and tall to cram I to my front room HTPC.

phawkins633 likes this.
  29. phawkins633

phawkins633 [H]Lite

Thanks....actually, you have a point, as drivers and applications aren't matured enough..I'm sure it (Radeon) will run better with further optimizations. And yeah, that's why I chose EVGA...much stronger RMA; although they still use Micron memory.....cross fingers...

30. Legendary Gamer

My EVGA is still working. Mostly ;)

I'm sending ya all the good karma/mojo I can. Let's hope you win the silicon lottery!

phawkins633 likes this.
  31. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

How times have changed.

Silicon lottery back then: Card overclocks
    Silicon lottery now: Card works

N4CR, joobjoob, IKV1476 and 6 others like this.
  32. phawkins633

phawkins633 [H]Lite

Thanks....lolol

33. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

The 417's introduced some weird bugs with video and multi monitor along with some performance boosts for games. Gaming has been 100% stable for me, I've put in 80 hours into Monster Hunter World in the past 2 weeks with no issues game engine wise. I think the updated codec nvidia uses is to blame. I notice some episodes I've been watching in mkv format require me to ensure it has loaded correctly and is playing before I can watch it. Once "stuck" I have to close my media player completely before loading another video.

34. Legendary Gamer

I've been using SM Player lately and it seems to do really well with almost everything I open with it. Weird bugs persist, with odd flickering pixels between words as I type this... Gaming is ultra smooth, no issues there. Still getting the odd screen blanking issues between desktop windows when I open them full screen. Typically only happens with web browsers while streaming.

35. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I tried pinpointing which codec was having a problem. I found my lavasoft codec was now incompatible with the current 417 set. It works fine with 416 drivers. I disabled it and went to some of the backup codecs I have and videos are working in a sense that I can immediate track to another time index immediately after loading and that I'm not second guessing which player I need to use to get it working correctly. It still has weird glitches when some videos play, I can see it on all black parts of videos where random white flickering pixels appear. Just for like 1/24 fps but enough for you to notice the randomness. In a busy scene (take st discovery and its insane JJ abrams lighting style) you wouldn't notice it.

36. Legendary Gamer

Good to know I'm not losing my mind on that either ... I see those damn pixels too. I first noticed them between text while typing when the text was white and the background was dark/black. It's clearly not just related to video codecs then. I can see it when I'm responding to posts on the [H]...

37. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

Its problematic to video and browsers. I think firefox is the noted problematic one in the bug log, but I imagine that other browsers may suffer similar due to key features of sites implement.

38. Legendary Gamer

I'm using opera which is based on chromium.

I will try some other browsers when I get home. The other thing I will do is open up my publisher and paint the page black and swap my text to white. If it still does it there... I would say we've discovered a display flaw.

39. Kyle_Bennett

We are consistently reproducing the issue again and are finalizing the thermal chamber testing tomorrow (hopefully). Was supposed to be done that today, however we’ve had some serious weather and the lab techs didn’t make it to the office.

Next up will be the assessment of the DRAM’s.