Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by FrgMstr, Nov 1, 2018.

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

1. My RTX 2080 Died

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. My RTX 2080 Ti Died

30 vote(s)
    13.7%
  3. My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

13 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

26 vote(s)
    11.9%
  9. My RTX is a Founders Edition

62 vote(s)
    28.3%
  10. I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

156 vote(s)
    71.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reaperkk

Reaperkk [H]ard|Gawd

So I may have a dead 2080, I really hope it’s not the case.

I ordered a 2080 ftw3 January 3 and had it delivered January 10. Installed it same day and it was running great up until today. This morning I booted my pc up, did my usual morning web surfing and left my computer on to run errands. Come back and my monitor wouldn’t turn on. Reboot the machine, it posts and goes to windows login and then black screen. Now it won’t even post.

I haven’t had time to play around with it today but I will later on. I didn’t have any of the artifacting but I did get some hard lock ups on the first boot up a few days ago. I start my pc in the morning, it’d lock on the desktop, reboot and it worked for the rest of the day. Never had that with my R9. Sigh, I really hope it’s something stupid. I don’t want to go through the trouble sending it back.

2. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Unplug the display from power for 10 seconds, plug the display back in, and try again.

Starrbuck likes this.
  3. McDork

McDork Gawd

What are you a comedian?

4. FrgMstr

Sorry to share something that I have seen work for getting POST again with these RTX cards.

5. McDork

McDork Gawd

It works? Are they getting close to solving the issues with these cards?

6. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

If people are still having issues... That indicates to me that the flaw likely requires a complete redesign of the chip. That's not going to happen. If someone can prove it, which I think will happen eventually, we might see another class action lawsuit suit against Nvidia at some point.

7. Reaperkk

Reaperkk [H]ard|Gawd

ok get the fuck out of here. It worked! I never thought to unplug my actual display. I unplugged the monitor via display in the back of the card but that didn't work. Kyle, you sir, are awesome.

8. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

It sounds more like a Windows sleep issue. That can be driver or OS related.

9. Legendary Gamer

I wasn't referring simply to this, individual, instance. I'm talking about the entire enchilada of issues these cards have faced. There's been a pretty steady report of dead or dying cards on here each week. I and many others have directly encountered these instances, personally, as well.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

I know that this is about the RTX series, but i get this happening a lot on my RX480 using HDMI. I have no idea if it is related, I'm just throwing it out there.

11. Reaperkk

Reaperkk [H]ard|Gawd

Will do! Thanks again.

12. horrorshow

horrorshow [H]ardness Supreme

Did Kyle ever manage to get ahold of a "space invaders" card??

I def wanna hear what that's all about etc.

13. FrgMstr

Purchased one this weekend.

14. McDork

McDork Gawd

OK, I'm sorry, I thought you were joking! That is the first line you always get from any customer service rep.

15. FrgMstr

Look what I just got. EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Space Invaders Edition.

space invaders.jpg

noko, N4CR, Geforcepat and 8 others like this.
  16. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

Put the zeeforx in zeee oven bork bork!

N4CR likes this.
  17. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

Yes, I have a big problem: no RTX enabled games !!!! :eek:

Legendary Gamer, FrgMstr and Maddness like this.
  18. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

The world needs more RTX

19. Legendary Gamer

I just saw this and spit my coffee across the office :LOL:

Maddness and FrgMstr like this.
  20. Legendary Gamer

So, you finally got one? That's awesome! Can't wait to find out what you discover.

21. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

The world need more cat videos :cat:

22. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

HP now says they won't have the card available to send until March :facepalm:

If I'd known Kyle was still looking, I'd have tried to send it to him! (Are you still looking? Would you take a 2080 to add some variety to your space invaders collection?)

Legendary Gamer likes this.
  23. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

Ouch, that's not very good. Can you take the system back and just buy a new one

24. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Don't reward nvidia and get a vII for a different play thing...

25. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Why would anyone buy a slower product?

26. Legendary Gamer

Because I gave my 1080Ti to my cousin and it was destined for the front room. So, in this case it will be faster than what's in there ;)

N4CR likes this.
  27. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Is this the same 1080 Ti, destroyer of worlds? Seems kind of mean to give it to your cousin.

"My old 1080Ti founders will, literally, roast any card I place next to it (even in my high ventilation Ryzen system) it killed no less than 3 PCI-E audio cards I placed next to it. You could see the metal distress on their back plates from heat changing the mollecular properties of the plates... "

Starrbuck likes this.
  28. Legendary Gamer

It is the audio card Slayer. You are absolutely correct. I gave it to him because 1. I'm an asshole & 2. Now it's his problem. ;)

toast0 and N4CR like this.
  29. IdiotInCharge

Damnit, now your got me thinking- I purchased, then returned, a Sound Blaster Z because after a time the channels went wonky on the headphone output, for which I purchased it. It was driving 300Ohm Sennheiser HD600's and quite well at that, but it simply did not behave when placed above a GTX970, which was in SLI with another GTX970 below it. The top card ran especially hot.

I'm not sure why I didn't try a lower slot...

N4CR likes this.
  30. Legendary Gamer

Yeah, I will never put another audio card in that slot again... Anything I put below the Graphics card was fine. My old MSI Tomahawk had an old PCI slot on it and I had put a ASUS audio card into it, just didn't match up to the Sound Blaster Z in any capacity. I agree, probably should have put it in the lower PCI-E slot. However, it was a bit late since the 1080Ti had roasted a couple of my Audio cards at that point. That's the exact problem I had tho. The Headphone output went wonky on all three cards I placed in the 1X slot above the graphics card.

I ended up tossing a pair of Turtle Beach Headphones that had awesome Bass response thinking that they had failed after like 5+ years of flawless use. Once I realized the cards were failing I was kicking myself for not realizing what had, actually, happened. However, I'm pretty sure that given the reactions on here about my discovery that no one would ever expect anything like this to happen.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    IdiotInCharge likes this.
  31. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Colour me surprised indeed, that's definitely something I didn't expect to hear (pardon the pun)... all the more justification for an external DAC too. Never been a fan of sandwiching cards. I wish you luck with your next GPU or build... you definitely deserve a break from the hardware gods!

32. Legendary Gamer

I did learn. I went External USB Sound Blaster and been pretty happy ever since. Might not be perfect but it still sounds a helluva lot better than on board sound. I'm just using older X-Fi 5.1 units I picked up cheap. They do the trick. Thanks for the good mojo!

N4CR likes this.
  33. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I had a Soundblaster Z sandwiched in between a pair of 980's for years, no problems. I know just one data point but wanted to mention.

34. IdiotInCharge

I believe it- I'm not sure what was going on here. Plenty of ventilation, but I know that card was getting hot regardless. If it makes any difference, I was stressing the headphone amp too.

Getting the analog stage outside of the case is the goal for audio these days- USB headsets bare minimum, but I'm running optical out from the crab chip, which is fed by Creative software (not to be mistaken for their interpretation of drivers), to a balanced DAC, that then feeds either a headphone amp or a balanced studio 2.1 set.

No noise, strong sound :)

35. Legendary Gamer

Dude, everything is always perfect in your world... That's not the world most of us live in.

36. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

It's a fair point. Mine was mostly used for voice chat during MMO's so I definitely wasn't placing any undue stress on the card. I just had a motherboard at the time that had useless audio out.

I might have even had game sounds via USB DAC at the time, but it's been a while so not 100% sure.

Perfect, like the 2080 Ti that space invadered?

Just because I don't have video cards that can alter the molecular structure of surrounding items doesn't make the world perfect. I also don't think replacing a video card 3-4 times as something that represents "most of us".

37. Legendary Gamer

It's because you've lived a sheltered life.. lol. I actually am still on my third and nothing you suggested helped. Nor was anything you said correct. You like to point things out assuming you, in your sole perspective of experience, are correct . You continue, endlessly, to remind me of the same things over and over and over and over and over ... Jesus H Christ.

One person on here was dead on accurate. Some of the best advice I could ever have explored. Wasn't you.

While these forums are helpful the lesson here is trust your gut. Edit: and only listen to certain people's advice ;)

38. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

welp, decided to go NV again with the G-Sync compatibility stuff that's now a thing and got a 2080 Ti Strix yesterday. Today, the card is crashing to a black screen in several games. I tried underclocking it by 100 MHz which reduced the frequency of the crashes a bit, but it also shows the space invaders artifacts when crashing now, so I guess that's a sure sign it is faulty. For me it's most reproducible in Crysis 3, crashes within a few mins of play time.

Card is going back to Amazon. I might go for the Radeon VII I guess or just stick with my Vega. I'm sure I just got unlucky but there seems to be way more reports of failures with these 2080 Ti than any other card in recent memory.

Also in case anyone is interested here's my GPU-Z screenshot: http://i.picpar.com/dSdd.png

card has Micron memory and is an non-A chip.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  39. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

That sounds suspicious. All the Strix cards should be 300A binned chips.

ShuttleLuv likes this.
  40. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

I thought so, but even TPU lists the regular Strix as a non-A: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-rog-strix-rtx-2080-ti-gaming.b6107

In my GPU-Z screenshot you can see the device ID matches that of the non-A one too, "10DE 1E04". And, I only have a 112% power limit in Afterburner.

Maybe they only used A chips for the initial run or it's some kind of lottery.