THE TRUTH IS OUT THEREhttps://www.shacknews.com/article/7...why-swtors-hi-res-textures-vanished-at-launch
Or it could just be a legitimate bug/mistake as has been shown to occur before, Mulder
View attachment 827940
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
THE TRUTH IS OUT THEREhttps://www.shacknews.com/article/7...why-swtors-hi-res-textures-vanished-at-launch
Or it could just be a legitimate bug/mistake as has been shown to occur before, Mulder
View attachment 827940
doesn't seem to beTHE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
He specifically mentioned that for game play. For broadcast style close ups, he implied it did.In the same video not even a minute later he literally says it is not quite transformative enough in NBA. I still think Nvidia could have chosen a better game to showcase DLSS5 where the difference is much greater, but if no other game was ready for release then I guess they had no choice but go with what was ready for launch.
Ok so I got DLSS5 setup in Control Resonant. So unlike the UE5 games, this game with DLSS5 actually looks fine even if DLSS is used instead of DLAA before the NR step, maybe it's because this game has proper path tracing along with RR 4.5 while Stalker 2 and Dawnwalker do not? I believe those two games are software lumen only and no RR support so maybe that's why using upscaling doesn't play very nicely with DLSS5 but I could be wrong.
Anyways, with full path tracing + DLAA + no DLSS5 at 1440p I can get about 70fps, turning on DLSS5 drops me below 60 but then using DLSS Quality I then get the same frame rate as path tracing + DLAA + no DLSS5. Kick on 2x FG and I'm at about 130fps, and since image quality doesn't take a significant hit this time around I've decided this is how I'll play the game (Path Tracing + DLSS Quality + DLSS5 + 2x FG). The DLSS5 upgrade definitely feels less significant in this game which is not what I was expecting since I thought giving it a path traced image is supposed to yield even more of an uplift as opposed to just pure raster. Here's a quick look:
View: https://youtu.be/SUAqLaXK-g8
That's its real issue at this point. nVidia is working on it, we'll see what they are able to do. If they can get it integrated with the upscaler it may become a lot more useful.It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
Unustified entitlement these days.It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
That's its real issue at this point. nVidia is working on it, we'll see what they are able to do. If they can get it integrated with the upscaler it may become a lot more useful.
looks goodBut that's how you have to use filters! The only option is turned all the way up. Here's my Satisfactory running with HDR, I put on the brightness adjustment and turned it up to max, because that is how it was meant to be used, right?
View attachment 828360
Your posts indicates your are blinded by bias, so your opnion holds very little value in regards to neural renderinglooks good
yes making it work on NVFP4 instead of 8 bbits and at some sort of not on fhe full final resolution could help quite a bit.It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
Unustified entitlement these days.
People want their entry level GPU to do max settng with PT @ 4K and cannot lower settings to macth their hardware oh not it must be "bad optimization".
No GPU could run Doom3 at maxium settings at a high resolution monitor on release.
Neither couldCrysis.
Or the Witcher 3.
But now we have generation entitlement crying all the time.
Yep, you see the consequences of it in games now. Max settings in most games target 60 fps for mid range hardware. And if it isn't people cry that it's "unoptimized".
People praise the new Doom games for being optimized, and they are. The graphics are good for the performance, but it is just that. You remove "for the perofrmance" and the graphics are unimpressive. Things games did a decade ago, ray tracing so scaled back you're not even sure they're using it. A far cry from the brand new next gen real time lighting tech Doom 3 had at the time, along with max settings texture detail that extended beyond top end GPU memory limits.
60 FPS was good back when we only had 60 Hz monitors. That time has passed, people are aware of 120 FPS+ now.Yep, you see the consequences of it in games now. Max settings in most games target 60 fps for mid range hardware. And if it isn't people cry that it's "unoptimized".
Or sometime they hide the highest setting and call them unobtanium or wait to release them post launch as many publication will only benchmark the highest setting and for some reason many give importance to those, having some FOMO the moment they do not play at max setting, regardless of what the game actually look like at medium/high.Yep, you see the consequences of it in games now. Max settings in most games target 60 fps for mid range hardware. And if it isn't people cry that it's "unoptimized".
that seem a bit of an exageration (of a product of so much of the influencer running 4k monitors to play games).A feature that's only feasible if you have a $5,000+ GPU is not a well-conceived feature.
Or better image quality at same or better performance, there an array of possiblity with DLSS, better performance at the cost of lesser image quality being just one of them.DLSS and FG were pretty huge because they allowed for better performance than native and good image quality.
many publication will only benchmark the highest setting and for some reason many give importance to those
I meant that type, when it is not an hardware review but more a game performance review:it's fine for benchmarking - you're supposed to find the max capabilities of the hardware - you can't do that if you still give the hardware room to breathe - you have to find its limits by going beyond
I meant that type, when it is not an hardware review but more a game performance review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/silent-hill-townfall-performance-benchmark/5.html
they do change resolution for some reason, but not the settings, only ultra and they are not alone (https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...-townfall-benchmarks-pc-performance-analysis/)
So I could imagine why some studio decide to hide for the futur settings to not be the metric people see a bit everywhere before buying the game or not
They cover lower settings on the previous page. You can roughly extrapolate from there.I meant that type, when it is not an hardware review but more a game performance review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/silent-hill-townfall-performance-benchmark/5.html
they do change resolution for some reason, but not the settings, only ultra and they are not alone (https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...-townfall-benchmarks-pc-performance-analysis/)
So I could imagine why some studio decide to hide for the futur settings to not be the metric people see a bit everywhere before buying the game or not
The more that I read this thread the more I would like to try DLSS5. I have a 4090, is it worth my time to try it on a 4090? I have an Asus Tuf 4090 that I was recently offered $2,000 for. I was planning on waiting for the 6090 but that could be a long wait, do I just get a 5090? Lastly could someone try it on BG3 for some Shadowheart images ?
Thanks
Thank you for this. The difference is subtle and almost imperceptible with a casual glance but it is there and it certainly makes her more life like. It is a testament to the quality of the animation team at Larian but there is no question about how much more natural and alive she looks.
That settles it pendragon, my friend and I are about to start an honor mode run of the game and if the performance is good enough (I mean it should be the game is turn based after all) I will run it with DLSS5.
Unustified entitlement these days.
People want their entry level GPU to do max settng with PT @ 4K and cannot lower settings to macth their hardware oh not it must be "bad optimization".
No GPU could run Doom3 at maxium settings at a high resolution monitor on release.
Neither couldCrysis.
Or the Witcher 3.
But now we have generation entitlement crying all the time.
You sound like someone too stupid to lower settings...aka crybaby entitlement, thanks for proving my point."If performance is low, I won't use it"
"HOW FUCKING DARE YOU fucking entitled generation of crybabies BACK IN MY DAY... "
No, it is more like "If I can't run all settings completely maxed out I'll cry that the devs suck and it is 'unoptimized garbage' because my ego requires that everything be turned all the way up.""If performance is low, I won't use it"
"HOW FUCKING DARE YOU fucking entitled generation of crybabies BACK IN MY DAY... "
No, it is more like "If I can't run all settings completely maxed out I'll cry that the devs suck and it is 'unoptimized garbage' because my ego requires that everything be turned all the way up."
That's the real issue, is that people seem to cry any time something isn't able to be fast on their hardware. That's very different from saying "This is too slow, I'll turn it off," or "This isn't worth the performance cost, I'll turn down the settings." It is basically demanding that setting be capped lower so they can feel better about their system.
The point is that highest settings have long included things that most people couldn't run, or couldn't run fast. This goes all the way back to GL Quake. It had the ability to request multi-texturing where it would do both texture passes, the actual textures and the lightmaps, in one pass. This would increase speed a lot... but at the time it was release the Voodoos that people had couldn't do it. Only the high end Obsidian cards that happened to put a second TMU on board (which the Voodoo 1 supported but didn't require) could handle it. Very niche feature. Now that was a performance increase, not visual increase, but still an example of "Here's an option only for very select few cards." Likewise you take something like Doom 3's uncompressed textures. You could ask it to but textures in RAM completely uncompressed. That resulted in a very minor visual upgrade... at the cost of a lot of VRAM. I don't know if there were any cards that had enough when it came out, certainly not gamer cards, they'd be pro cards if they did. It was very much a "This is a minor quality improvement, really only targeted at future GPUs."
I get being mad if a game REQUIRES technology that makes it run slow, or if turning down settings just doesn't help and the game runs like ass no matter what. That's a situation of either the game being optimized like shit, or just needing a redesign. However there's nothing wrong with features that really push the envelope and are more targeted at the future than the present if they are optional. DLSS 5 is for sure that kind of thing right now. It really only runs usably on a 5090, and even this is a heavy price to pay. Not the kind of thing I would be ok with a game demanding. However a game having it as an option? Sure no problem. Hopefully its speed gets improved in the future and hopefully (someday) we get new faster GPUs and it becomes more feasible to run.
Same deal as a lot of "ultra" setting in games in general. Many times you'll look at "ultra" quality shadows and the difference between them and high or medium are pretty minor, but the performance impact is larger. Well... don't use ultra then. Nothing is forcing it. It's an option if there's performance left on the table and you'll take the minor quality increase. Otherwise, turn it down. It's only an issue if Ultra looks good but hits hard, and High looks like ass and still hits pretty hard.
On the flip side too many people seem to think "optimization" is a magic tree that you just shake and FPS falls out of for free. Not that it takes time, effort, money, and often the way you "optimize" is by reducing quality.That also frustrates me, but there's a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of PC gamers that "optimisation" is just an excuse for people below minimum spec.
It's totally fair when a game runs like shit, particularly when it runs like shit even on a high end system turned down. I remember reviewers skewering Borderlands 4, and I haven't seen it as part of any benchmarking suites because ya: Not well done.When people say Borderlands 4 ran like shit, it was because the cost/benefit was WAY skewed towards 'cost'.
I don't feel like that is accurate. Most games run, and look, fine when you scale them down. DF often does something where they'll match roughly PS5 performance settings and when they do, game runs well and looks good on lower end hardware. The problem is you have to make the same concessions the PS5 does: Lower resolution/more upscaling, 60ish FPS, little/no RT, lower quality textures/shadows, etc. It looks completely fine, and many gamers enjoy the game like that because they do have a PS5. But I see a fuckton of whining that it isn't good because it won't run at higher rez, or faster FPS, or higher settings, etc, etc.Nowadays, many many MANY modern games are made with VERY low levels of benefit to their performance cost (Borderlands 4 mentioned above).
It absolutely isn't, of course it also is literally in only one title, everything else is by definition user modded. But no, I haven't found it worth it, though I might in Hitman 3, we'll see when I get back to it. Even on a 5090, the ask is too much right now. However, two important things there:DLSS5 is cool, and I know so many people who were excited to try it, and go 'ooooh' 'aaaah' and then turn it off... because it's just NOT performant. The benefit of DLSS5 isn't worth the cost of the framerate for MOST people.
However you also have to be clear as to what you are optimizing for, because often one thing happens at the expense of another. You can optimize lighting by making it static, and optimize it more by fixing camera position. If you give an artist a completely fixed scene, they can make it look very realistic... but then it is fixed, and takes a lot of artist time. It'll be fast, but static. Likewise you can optimize code to be readable and moddable, particularly by using scripting languages to do as much as possible, but that comes at the cost of performance. Or you could write it all in assembly (if you can afford the few experts who are able to do that) but then it is extremely inflexible.And you know what those in software development call it when a desired function is reached with newer methods that use less computing resources than previous methods? Optimisation.