• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DLSS 5 - Generative AI

Half the performance with increase power for something one would after a few minutes in a game forget about it but will see more artifacts, and a jerkier presentation.
 
In the same video not even a minute later he literally says it is not quite transformative enough in NBA. I still think Nvidia could have chosen a better game to showcase DLSS5 where the difference is much greater, but if no other game was ready for release then I guess they had no choice but go with what was ready for launch.
He specifically mentioned that for game play. For broadcast style close ups, he implied it did.

After watching it, it made me think if there was a way for DLSS 5 to be dynamically turned on or off for those kinds of games. On only for cut scenes/cinematic scenes and off during gameplay, particularly when the difference isn't that obvious. That said, I have seen some examples where DLSS 5 was transformative even during gameplay so it would be a case to case basis thing.
 
Ok so I got DLSS5 setup in Control Resonant. So unlike the UE5 games, this game with DLSS5 actually looks fine even if DLSS is used instead of DLAA before the NR step, maybe it's because this game has proper path tracing along with RR 4.5 while Stalker 2 and Dawnwalker do not? I believe those two games are software lumen only and no RR support so maybe that's why using upscaling doesn't play very nicely with DLSS5 but I could be wrong.

Anyways, with full path tracing + DLAA + no DLSS5 at 1440p I can get about 70fps, turning on DLSS5 drops me below 60 but then using DLSS Quality I then get the same frame rate as path tracing + DLAA + no DLSS5. Kick on 2x FG and I'm at about 130fps, and since image quality doesn't take a significant hit this time around I've decided this is how I'll play the game (Path Tracing + DLSS Quality + DLSS5 + 2x FG). The DLSS5 upgrade definitely feels less significant in this game which is not what I was expecting since I thought giving it a path traced image is supposed to yield even more of an uplift as opposed to just pure raster. Here's a quick look:


View: https://youtu.be/SUAqLaXK-g8
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: erek
like this
Ok so I got DLSS5 setup in Control Resonant. So unlike the UE5 games, this game with DLSS5 actually looks fine even if DLSS is used instead of DLAA before the NR step, maybe it's because this game has proper path tracing along with RR 4.5 while Stalker 2 and Dawnwalker do not? I believe those two games are software lumen only and no RR support so maybe that's why using upscaling doesn't play very nicely with DLSS5 but I could be wrong.

Anyways, with full path tracing + DLAA + no DLSS5 at 1440p I can get about 70fps, turning on DLSS5 drops me below 60 but then using DLSS Quality I then get the same frame rate as path tracing + DLAA + no DLSS5. Kick on 2x FG and I'm at about 130fps, and since image quality doesn't take a significant hit this time around I've decided this is how I'll play the game (Path Tracing + DLSS Quality + DLSS5 + 2x FG). The DLSS5 upgrade definitely feels less significant in this game which is not what I was expecting since I thought giving it a path traced image is supposed to yield even more of an uplift as opposed to just pure raster. Here's a quick look:


View: https://youtu.be/SUAqLaXK-g8

So far seems like UE5 games are the ones that are making the most of DLSS5 in the IQ department.
 
If you do not fuck up your settings, by tweaking stuff to 2.0 and 10 x passes DLSS 5 does wonders in games:
1790573525858.png
 
It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
 
It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
That's its real issue at this point. nVidia is working on it, we'll see what they are able to do. If they can get it integrated with the upscaler it may become a lot more useful.
 
It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
Unustified entitlement these days.
People want their entry level GPU to do max settng with PT @ 4K and cannot lower settings to macth their hardware oh not it must be "bad optimization".
No GPU could run Doom3 at maxium settings at a high resolution monitor on release.
Neither couldCrysis.
Or the Witcher 3.

But now we have generation entitlement crying all the time.
 
That's its real issue at this point. nVidia is working on it, we'll see what they are able to do. If they can get it integrated with the upscaler it may become a lot more useful.

After playing around it for quite a bit, I can see why Nvidia currently chose not to run NR before upscaling. Heck, in some games just even using upscaling at all but still running NR on the final output resolution results in worst image stability compared to DLAA. Once they managed to improve things which I'm sure they will, then I will go back to a 4K monitor. But man I gotta say 1440p with DLAA preset M already looks so clean, I haven't gamed on a 1440p display since 2018 and thought I would never be able to go back once going 4K but the latest DLAA has really proven me wrong. I've been happily gaming at 1440p + DLAA + NR for the past 3 weeks and it's been amazing.
 
Apologies for the vague post, I forgot who I was wanting to reply to


I mean it is a first gen tech. I think this popped off well enough for a first go at it. Idk why people are so hung up on it - Is the power draw awful? Yes. Is it performance heavy? Yes. But like isn't that how all new tech is? That is the price you pay as an early adopter. In a gen or 2 this tech will be more usable and eventually solid.
 
It think we need to get performance at a more acceptable level. Ray Tracing is already a huge performance hit, and this on top of that makes it a luxury feature only for those who want to spend 5K on a video card...
yes making it work on NVFP4 instead of 8 bbits and at some sort of not on fhe full final resolution could help quite a bit.

It is small enough vram wise (specialy if it can go even lower ot the said "4bits") that it could eventually run on a Groq type portion of the silicon (that can be on a old node) and be extremelly fast. Will see what it look like on Rubin, could already be cut by more than half by then.
 
Unustified entitlement these days.
People want their entry level GPU to do max settng with PT @ 4K and cannot lower settings to macth their hardware oh not it must be "bad optimization".
No GPU could run Doom3 at maxium settings at a high resolution monitor on release.
Neither couldCrysis.
Or the Witcher 3.

But now we have generation entitlement crying all the time.

Yep, you see the consequences of it in games now. Max settings in most games target 60 fps for mid range hardware. And if it isn't people cry that it's "unoptimized".

People praise the new Doom games for being optimized, and they are. The graphics are good for the performance, but it is just that. You remove "for the perofrmance" and the graphics are unimpressive. Things games did a decade ago, ray tracing so scaled back you're not even sure they're using it. A far cry from the brand new next gen real time lighting tech Doom 3 had at the time, along with max settings texture detail that extended beyond top end GPU memory limits.
 
Back
Top