Divinity: Original Sin

Played this a whole lot yesterday and I have to say it is a great game and the difficulty is about right though leans towards the difficult side. I got my 4th companion, and I was kind of surprised because it wasn't the one I thought it was so what I said in the previous post about the requirement was wrong :). The battles are still hard but much more manageable with 4 rather than 2 or 3.

The thing is some battles require a lot of strategic thinking and sometimes some planning ahead. I had to set up some traps ahead of time, or manually position my party members before I got close enough and initiated combat a few times. A tip that you may or may not know cause I only noticed it yesterday, there is a small icon on the right hand off the screen under the teleport gate list, if you click it you can delay your turn!! It is SO useful, but remember you can only use it so long as you haven't done anything during your turn. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do when the computer just completely out performs you or your rolls are just bad. It took several tries to do the staff quest one and planning ahead with knowledge I had because I died a few times due to a nasty surprise, was the only way I got through it. Another tip is don't rely only on the standard formation for battles, in some situations it's better to position certain characters to the fringes and start everything off with only one.

The only thing that bugs me now is money. It's always to darn tight it's rather annoying. I think it's because you have to buy skill books, potions, weapons and armor for every character. The drops (at least so far to level 6) have been so meh. Anything decent that dropped that would net me some gold, can't be sold as they are needed for the party members, everything else is basically junk and aren't even enough to cover a single skill book. It looks as if crafting/blacksmithing is the best way to make money from the junk, but I really don't want to waste the points on the skills.

The only thing that bugs me now is money. It's always to darn tight it's rather annoying. I think it's because you have to buy skill books, potions, weapons and armor for every character. The drops (at least so far to level 6) have been so meh. Anything decent that dropped that would net me some gold, can't be sold as they are needed for the party members, everything else is basically junk and aren't even enough to cover a single skill book. It looks as if crafting/blacksmithing is the best way to make money from the junk, but I really don't want to waste the points on the skills.

You'll have plenty of party members you can switch in and out. Keep one to be your crafter. (You don't really need him to be high level, just high enough). As for gear, money, etc., if you don't mind being cheap, F5/F8 every body, chest, etc. At the very least you should be doing this on those hard boss battles and hard to reach chests. They can contain some very awesome gear that playing through the game without doing that will cost you tens of thousands of gold.

speaking of hard to reach chests, there is one in plain sight in the first town that I can't seem to access. You can see it while walking into the higher level of town to the right of a bridge.

speaking of hard to reach chests, there is one in plain sight in the first town that I can't seem to access. You can see it while walking into the higher level of town to the right of a bridge.

tip checkout the graveyard

he's referring to the loot being generated upon opening the body/chest/etc. so if you open it and get shit or nothing, you can reload and open it again... pretty dumb if you ask me

Wait a sec, you mean all those chests and bodies regenerate loot if I take it save then constantly reload? I thought once you took the loot it was gone, if you hover over the body it does read chest(empty) or corpse(empty) after you loot it. That sounds like a bug that they just haven't fixed yet.

he means you can quick save before opening up body/chest/etc.. and if you get bad loot -> quick load -> repeat till you get something nice

IS this game worth the money? I havent played a great RPG in a while and this looks solid.

he's referring to the loot being generated upon opening the body/chest/etc. so if you open it and get shit or nothing, you can reload and open it again... pretty dumb if you ask me

Oh that is lame. They shouldn't have allowed that

Wait a sec, you mean all those chests and bodies regenerate loot if I take it save then constantly reload? I thought once you took the loot it was gone, if you hover over the body it does read chest(empty) or corpse(empty) after you loot it. That sounds like a bug that they just haven't fixed yet.

ermm, if you loot something and save after then yes it will still be empty if you reload

what I'm saying is you save before - if you don't like the loot, you could reload and loot again, it's random what you get, if anything

Oh that is lame. They shouldn't have allowed that

There's not much you can do when you randomly generate loot though. Certain times you won't be able to do this (such as the burning chest) where the loot is predetermined when you start the fight and not opening the chest.

But the reason for doing this on special chests is there is a small chance at a unique or legendary, which can be worth thousands of gold (and far exceed anything you can craft at that moment), and a decent chance that it contains garbage. Particularly with Lone Wolf, this can be the difference between the game being playable versus feeling impossible.

I think they call it a seed that gets created when you make a new game, and that seed is what determines the outcome of randomly generated events. Can't remember what games I've played that use this though

Can someone explain to me how skill points work? What determines when you can put points into a skill? It is annoying as hell to have skill points unspent because I can't put them into the skills I need for no reason.

Also, has anyone completed the desecrated church in the undead quest? I think the church is bugged for me, but don't want to spoil anything...

Can someone explain to me how skill points work? What determines when you can put points into a skill? It is annoying as hell to have skill points unspent because I can't put them into the skills I need for no reason.

What levels are the skills you want to put points into?

It's fairly simple.

1->2, 1 point.
2->3, 2 points.
Etc.

Just don't assign points until you level up several times. Unfortunately, this game pretty much ends at level 20 (give or take a level or two), so you'll want to focus on a few key traits. Gold is easier to come by than skill points, so if at all possible, try to buy an item with Item Lore. A good percentage of your skills will be from gear.

Ugh, I see it now. Wish I'd known that before I started spending points on dumb stuff. Probably no respect option anywhere. Oh well.

It's fairly simple.

1->2, 1 point.
2->3, 2 points.
Etc.

Just don't assign points until you level up several times. Unfortunately, this game pretty much ends at level 20 (give or take a level or two), so you'll want to focus on a few key traits. Gold is easier to come by than skill points, so if at all possible, try to buy an item with Item Lore. A good percentage of your skills will be from gear.

Is 20 one of those average things where you can go much higher if go leave the main quest alone for a while and find other stuff to do?

There's not much you can do when you randomly generate loot though. Certain times you won't be able to do this (such as the burning chest) where the loot is predetermined when you start the fight and not opening the chest.

But the reason for doing this on special chests is there is a small chance at a unique or legendary, which can be worth thousands of gold (and far exceed anything you can craft at that moment), and a decent chance that it contains garbage. Particularly with Lone Wolf, this can be the difference between the game being playable versus feeling impossible.

Its easy, generate the loot a bit earlier.
Then a reload gets the same loot.

the holy grail I am searching for, is a skillbook that teaches open locks spell

I had a scroll that did it... so there MUST be a skillbook

It's fairly simple.

1->2, 1 point.
2->3, 2 points.
Etc.

I am pretty sure that isn't right:
0->1 = 1 point
1->2 = 2 points
2->3 = 3 points
I know I have 2 points reserved on one of my mages and I can't do a thing with it because he has 2 points in both skills he is good at.

Wish I'd known that before I started spending points on dumb stuff. Probably no respect option anywhere. Oh well.
I know the feeling, I wasted a few points on my main characters and I regret it now. I was thinking you only needed one point to up a skill but at this rate those wasted points will hurt a lot, especially since you don't get them every time you gain a level.

I tried the F5/F8 thing and I won't use it again. I got so determined to try to get a legendary that I wasted like an hour doing it and got nothing. Never again. ;)

Right, it costs the next level in points to level up a skill. I too have one or two points I spent stupidly early game not fully realizing how the skill system works.

After some googling I found a dev post on their forum that says there is a respec option later in the game. Which I hope is soon because I'm sort of reaching the point of frustration with the skills and random skill book availability.

That appears to be correct. There is quite a bit of freaking out about it too although Steam is only used to patch the game and then is no longer needed and can be uninstalled. If you backed the KS, you can log into your Larian Vault account and get a GOG key if you're anti-Steam.
I thought I read that the game has a built in auto-updater? I don't mind buying on Steam, but I try not to if I can help it because I don't like having to keep the client on. I'm trying to hold out for the GoG version.

Also, is this game linear or open world like Baldur's Gate?

Last edited:
I just got this.. Two main character is interesting. A little odd on the dialogue, but not in a bad way.

I thought I read that the game has a built in auto-updater? I don't mind buying on Steam, but I try not to if I can help it because I don't like having to keep the client on. I'm trying to hold out for the GoG version.

Also, is this game linear or open world like Baldur's Gate?

If you weren't a kickstarter backer, the GoG version comes out in August I believe.

As far as linearity, I'd say it's fairly linear. Not JRPG linear mind you, but definitely not as open world as other RPGs. Sure, technically you can go anywhere in the game, but monsters will be so powerful that you can't really do anything. The game sort of nudges you in a direction.

The game keeps suggesting that I set things on fire, yet between a Knight and a Witch I have no way to ignite anything. Am I missing something or will I just have to come back later with my chosen build?

The game keeps suggesting that I set things on fire, yet between a Knight and a Witch I have no way to ignite anything. Am I missing something or will I just have to come back later with my chosen build?

I had the same peoblem. Try looking around for something in the enviorment to use ;)

Candles are a good ignition ;)

Oh man of course! If I can throw a barrel why can't I throw a candle? Thanks! Just finished the first dungeon, so I'm not very far in the game but I'm really enjoying it. The interaction with environments, the entertaining dialogue, and the puzzles while simple are all a nice addition to the game. I imagine these elements will get more complicated as I progress.

Also, I'm enjoying the turn based combat a whole lot more than I expected. Going in, that was the one thing I was disappointed about. Well, I'm not disappointed anymore.

As a side note, summons seem very powerful.

So I found out how to progress Jake's Murder quest; initially I broke into Evelyn's home by knocking the down the door to her house in town with an unbreakable cudgel and some burning. Found some letters inside that said she had Jake's body and where, went down to the Healer's house and found she left her backpack there (unguarded) with her house key in it (which should have been step 1). Went northeast to the beach and used the reveal scroll to unmask her lair. Found her and zombie Jake inside, had a fight, won, told the Legion commander about it (he didn't believe me). Stopped caring about this quest.

Fast traveled back to Silverglen to complete the cult initiation. Went into the cavern and got infected with rot (part of the trials) and had to solve two inane puzzles. There are four switches in the first puzzle, and you have to put items with the correct WEIGHT on each switch to activate it. The clue is to "balance the scales of integrity or justice or some other BS". The switches will show a text "click" when you have the weight right, though they make a CLICK sound anytime something is placed on them.

The puzzle after that requires getting three levers in the correct position or you'll need to fight a Elemental monster if you do it wrong. I'd recommend fighting the monster anyway because it drops legendary loot.

Continued on to talk to the cult leader, another fight, fled that one and called it a night.

So what is the general consensus on this game?

Is it comparable to baldurs gate/iwd/nwn in terms of quality writing/story?

So what is the general consensus on this game?

Is it comparable to baldurs gate/iwd/nwn in terms of quality writing/story?

Writing I don't think is as good as those titles. Story either, but damn i'm having a good time playing. The fact that you even mentioned those games tells me that you should play this one.

It has a Steam Workshop. Only one tech demo in it so far because the editor is still in development. Editor requirements are 8GB of ram and a 64 bit OS as a minimum to use it.

I expect this game to be modded to Skyrim levels of content.

GoG version up. Cost $39.99 but apparently doesn't come with the bonus DLC like the Steam version does. If you live in a market that is affected by "Fair Pricing" you receive the DLC for free.

GoG version up. Cost $39.99 but apparently doesn't come with the bonus DLC like the Steam version does. If you live in a market that is affected by "Fair Pricing" you receive the DLC for free.

I bought this right off steam. Do i get DLC?

It has a Steam Workshop. Only one tech demo in it so far because the editor is still in development. Editor requirements are 8GB of ram and a 64 bit OS as a minimum to use it.

I expect this game to be modded to Skyrim levels of content.

I can't wait. This game is a blast.

On Steam the DLC was a separate purchase. I paid a little under $40 for both game and DLC when it was on sale on steam.

Back