Divinity: Original Sin

Installing now. 6 pack is icing down as well. Pizza will be on order. Body is ready.

After a quick play through, think of this similar to Fallout 1/2 or Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age Origins with turn based combat. Sadly, this game is not like Ultima VII, despite the intentions mentioned by the creators.

After a quick play through, think of this similar to Fallout 1/2 or Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age Origins with turn based combat. Sadly, this game is not like Ultima VII, despite the intentions mentioned by the creators.

A quick playthrough? How long did it take you?

I was not originally interested in this game until I saw it was turn based.

Where can we buy the boxed version? I'd prefer the boxed US version. Also, if/will they distribute patches for the boxed version (in game updater, etc)?

Last edited:
Okay so 6 hours later...

Holy shit. I'm pretty stoked. Game is solid as fuck. This is a breath of fresh air for PC gaming. You fire it up, get engrossed, and before long you forget that console gaming ever happened. It's like you're transported back to the 90's when games were worth a damn. I'm happy and that is no small feat. 9/10 for me.

inXile emailed through some details of the latest update on the Wasteland 2 beta and I was impressed to see a statement offering congratulations to the Larian team for the release of Original Sin. That kind of respect between game developers is fantastic to see. Looking forward to sinking many hours into this game :)

Divinity: Original Sin Releases

Despite the current Belgium-USA rivalry as our two national teams will be playing tomorrow, we still want to congratulate our Belgian brothers Larian with the successful release of their Kickstarted cRPG Divinity: Original Sin. Check it out on Steam or your local retailer!

yeah I kinda just stayed up till 3 am last night playing this with a friend... and we got to level 4, lol

bad idea - got up for work at 6am :(

pretty stoked about the game though was a lot of fun and had a pretty good difficulty for 'normal' setting - really requires some planning, combo'ing elements and a little luck it seems. ... probably would help if we had a more balanced group, so we might reroll tonight, currently we were running cleric/fighter and the first mercs you can get I think are only

fighter and wizard

yeah I kinda just stayed up till 3 am last night playing this with a friend... and we got to level 4, lol

bad idea - got up for work at 6am :(

pretty stoked about the game though was a lot of fun and had a pretty good difficulty for 'normal' setting - really requires some planning, combo'ing elements and a little luck it seems. ... probably would help if we had a more balanced group, so we might reroll tonight, currently we were running cleric/fighter and the first mercs you can get I think are only

fighter and wizard

Oh that's right.. This game was built with co op in mind. Amazing.

Okay so 6 hours later...

Holy shit. I'm pretty stoked. Game is solid as fuck. This is a breath of fresh air for PC gaming. You fire it up, get engrossed, and before long you forget that console gaming ever happened. It's like you're transported back to the 90's when games were worth a damn. I'm happy and that is no small feat. 9/10 for me.

Damn. Now I really have to start taking this thing seriously. ;)

Can I say I love the magic system. Cast some oil and then a fire spell and burn everyone in the area :), cast some water then a lighting spell and everyone gets shocked :D.

Anybody find any working AA methods? The in-game SMAA setting sucks.
Forcing MSAA causes graphical glitches. I also tried forcing extra FXAA/SMAA but it blurs text badly.

I LOVE how kiddies are whining and crying about the lack of quest markers, difficulty in general, having to actually train up charisma, having to actually remember to save your game often, and other game mechanics. This game requires you to actually use your brain and that's just too difficult for most people. The last time I was this hype about a game, it was purchased from babbages, came in a big ass box, and had a small book for a manual.

Hell, I would have no issues recommending this game @ $60.00 +tax.

I LOVE how kiddies are whining and crying about the lack of quest markers, difficulty in general, having to actually train up charisma, having to actually remember to save your game often, and other game mechanics. This game requires you to actually use your brain and that's just too difficult for most people. The last time I was this hype about a game, it was purchased from babbages, came in a big ass box, and had a small book for a manual.

Hell, I would have no issues recommending this game @ $60.00 +tax.

Oh man, this game just sounds better and better! It feels like AGES since i've played a game with quests that actually require you to read the quest and deduce what you need to do and where you need to go. I may just have to buy this tonight.

Oh man, this game just sounds better and better! It feels like AGES since i've played a game with quests that actually require you to read the quest and deduce what you need to do and where you need to go. I may just have to buy this tonight.

If you liked old school cRPG's I'd recommend this without hesitation. If you loved old school RPG's, GET THIS SHIT NOW.

I've been thinking about it all day. I can't wait to get back to it.

If you liked old school cRPG's I'd recommend this without hesitation. If you loved old school RPG's, GET THIS SHIT NOW.

I've been thinking about it all day. I can't wait to get back to it.

That's awesome man, read your earlier posts/impressions, I'm dying to try it now. Going to wait for a buddy to get back from his trip before I dive in.

How jealous are you that I get to work from home? ;)

Edit: Oh lame, should have grabbed the two for $55 when I had the chance, now I got to blow $80. Damn it.

That's awesome man, read your earlier posts/impressions, I'm dying to try it now. Going to wait for a buddy to get back from his trip before I dive in.

How jealous are you that I get to work from home? ;)

Edit: Oh lame, should have grabbed the two for $55 when I had the chance, now I got to blow $80. Damn it.

Dude, I think it's worth it. Not only is it old school as fuck, you can feel good about giving them money.

-Built for PC, no console bullshit tainted the development of this game.
-Made by a dev that actually likes us and are not bunch of lying, corporate pieces of shit.
-No bullshit DRM
-No bullshit cash shop/microtransactions
-Mod friendly

Dude, I think it's worth it. Not only is it old school as fuck, you can feel good about giving them money.

-Built for PC, no console bullshit tainted the development of this game.
-Made by a dev that actually likes us and are not bunch of lying, corporate pieces of shit.
-No bullshit DRM
-No bullshit cash shop/microtransactions
-Mod friendly

That sounds great man, I really had no hesitation to buy two copies at the full price, but sure wish I bought yesterday, damn it.

I should have bought this during the Summer Sale. It's been on my wishlist since Early Access.

I grew up on these type of RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale of yore. I'm tempted to go with the Collector's Edition since it has the DLCs and an extra copy.

I should have bought this during the Summer Sale. It's been on my wishlist since Early Access.

I grew up on these type of RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale of yore. I'm tempted to go with the Collector's Edition since it has the DLCs and an extra copy.

If I would have known this I would have bought the CE.

Heard about this game, about to pull the trigger! Old school RPG FTW.

giphy.gif

90% of this game is walking around and scrolling through pages of NPC dialog.
The combat ain't great, but damn, if I wanted to read a novel I'd bust out my Game of Thrones books or something.

90% of this game is walking around and scrolling through pages of NPC dialog.
The combat ain't great, but damn, if I wanted to read a novel I'd bust out my Game of Thrones books or something.

That's what old school RPG's were about. Making choices that permanently affect your character's stats. Kill a good person? You just got an evil point. Get pissed at an injustice and take matters into your own hands rather than follow protocol; you're chaotic good. People in the game treat you differently based on your alignment.

Just a small example of what old school RPGs are about. Reading and making permanent decisions to grow your character is what endures fans to them.

That stuff only matters if the game is deep enough to make it worthwhile.
I'd wait to see people finish the game and say it's worth the effort before I decide to immerse myself in the lore.

That stuff only matters if the game is deep enough to make it worthwhile.
I'd wait to see people finish the game and say it's worth the effort before I decide to immerse myself in the lore.

I'm not being mean at all; but do hear me out. The sole purpose of the game is to have an great story and characters you care about based on the story. If your idea of playing the game is by haphazardly clicking yes, yes, yes, then Divinity Original Sin is definitely not the game for you. Do not purchase this game. Do not even bother watching playthroughs on Youtube. It is simply not your genre.

If you already purchased it, I apologize for not explaining this when discussing it earlier. I thought that only old school RPG fans would be in this thread.

:)

I'm not being mean at all; but do hear me out. The sole purpose of the game is to have an great story and characters you care about based on the story. If your idea of playing the game is by haphazardly clicking yes, yes, yes, then Divinity Original Sin is definitely not the game for you. Do not purchase this game. Do not even bother watching playthroughs on Youtube. It is simply not your genre.

If you already purchased it, I apologize for not explaining this when discussing it earlier. I thought that only old school RPG fans would be in this thread.

:)
Yeah and the sole purpose of Watch Dogs is to be an open-world "hack everything" experience but it's a shit game and fails at that purpose.
Just because this is an old-school RPG doesn't mean it's not a shit game. And just because you've played a few hours doesn't mean you're in a position to say it's not a shit game.

Which is why people need to play the game more thoroughly (full reviews) before I'll decide whether I'll bother with it. I know what being an "old school" RPG entails, I'm just not sure if this game does.
As far as I know, nobody has gotten outside of the first act (~12 hours of gameplay) which doesn't help me understand how well the rest of the game holds up. 90% of the game was locked for the kickstarter beta and just opened yesterday.

Kinda ridiculous to criticize a game like this for having too much dialogue..

Kinda ridiculous to criticize a game like this for having too much dialogue..
Yeah every NPC I click on opens like 10+ dialog choices. Who is going to click on any of that?
Don't try to pretend you're going to read through a dozen dialog options for every Cheese Vendor you click on. I barely even care what the quest NPC's are saying.

Encyclopedias are like 1,000 pages but it doesn't mean they're fun to read.

Mass Effect had tons of dialog but it was all enjoyable because it had good writing and good voice acting.
And it felt like every conversation had something to offer, they were worthwhile. Divinity has neither... From what I can see.

Actually, the dialog in D:OS is pretty entertaining. It's witty and well written. Reading the text hasn't been a chore at all.

Actually, the dialog in D:OS is pretty entertaining. It's witty and well written. Reading the text hasn't been a chore at all.
Name some specifics, what's the name of the world and a few town names?
How about the name of a few main characters and describe their personalities?

I doubt anyone even knows any of this crap. It's so fortgettable you'll lose most of the information in the time it takes to quit the game and reach these forums.

Name some specifics, what's the name of the world and a few town names?
How about the name of a few main characters and describe their personalities?

I doubt anyone even knows any of this crap. It's so fortgettable you'll lose most of the information in the time it takes to quit the game and reach these forums.

I'm enjoying it immensely. I read everything too. If you dont like that style then I guess it's not for you. I wouldn't advise you trying to play Planscape Torment either. The fact that mass effect is even being compared in this thread is kinda ridiculous to be honest.

Last edited:
Back