Divinity: Original Sin

Pushed a big update today, changing status from alpha to beta.

The massive update from alpha to beta has hit Steam! The game is in its final stages of development. (Savegames are incompatible with the alpha version.)

Without further ado, the changelist that wouldn't fit in a Steam announcement:

CODE:
- Added pickpocket mechanic
- Added more crafting mechanics
- Much more accurate picking
- Added "guard" feature. This will delay your turn until the end of the round
- Added a large amount of new statusses
- Added environment/weather system
- Added a lot of new AI routines to give more intelligence to NPCs and enemies
- You can hit surfaces with melee weapons now.
- A lot of enhancements to pathfinding
- Poison clouds will react to fire damage now
- NPCs can use cone based spells now
- Added new SSAO option
- Added Chat UI
- Added invulnerable status
- Added CanSee and CanShoot calls to AI
- Show game over screen when players are dead
- Sitting or sleeping now heals the character
- NPCs can open doors now
- Added correct descriptions to potions and consume results
- Added new shovel system
- Show overhead text on answers of other players in multiplayer
- Character can enter sneak now in combat
- Added touch skill animations
- Added file packing to further decrease load times
- Added continue button to main menu
- Completely revised character creation system
- Added first tutorial system
- Added system to better manage status visuals
- Added Ash and Ice death models
- Oil will slow players down
- You can start a single- or multiplayer game
- Added effect when hitting with elemental damage weapons
- Added camera interpolation system
- Added texture packer to decrease load times
- Added rain of arrows skill
- Added trap detection talent
- Physics for character will animate now
- Added weatherproof talent
- Added Vase container
- Added new cursors for ground attacks
- Added toggle armour to character creation screen
- Added 3D scene to main menu
- Added system to highlight all characters in you view
- The camera will focus better now on events happening during combat
- Added intro video

CODE FIXES:
- Big optimizations to loading times
- Big optimizations to memory usage of game client
- Higher precision for projectile previews
- Fixed encumbrance problem
- Fixed big memory leak concerning effects
- Ally join allies in combat within sightrange
- Made sure that when picking up item from the ground that are already inside inventory, their is still a log about it
- Changed sneaking AP cost
- If you drag an item from your equiped slots to your inventory, it gets set in the first available slot
- Fixed character creation screen popping too fast
- Fixed jitter when swapping gender in character creation
- Fixed crash when summoning air elemental
- If you cast a "breath" attack spell from behind an object (e.g. a chest or counter, etc) then it will do dmg
- Fixed door vulnerability
- Fixed problem where you could use Rush to get past doors
- Fixed sneak issues in combat
- Fix where you didn't get XP for charmed kills
- Fixed a lot of situations where connections could fail
- Fixed attachments being attached to wrong skeleton
- Fix where casting non targeted skills (fear) would give a incorrect combatlog message
- Fix for NPCs not reacting when lighting fire to oil, etc..
- Fixed wrong previews for splitting arrow
- Target skill radius fix
- A big optimization to how the game shroud is synched to the players
- Small network improvements and extra logging
- Fix for not seeing if an item pickup will be considered stealing when pressing "alt"
- Changed combatlog on item pickup (will now be listed as stolen if so)
- No more tooltips for destroyed items
- Force clear UIDialog when unloading level
- Changed the check for the closing of container inventories
- Fix for Infectious Disease Radius
- Skillbar will be disabled on death now
- Removed wet effects for items
- Companions can't engage dialogs
- Added "need identifying glass" to identify string
- Added better barter trade tooltips
- No longer identify and repair price if trader is not skilled enough
- Fixed amount, weight and value in shop tooltips
- Increased durability loss when hitting objects
- Sight checks are done correctly now for dynamic objects
- Invisible characters don't flank or trigger attack of opportunity
- You can highlight targets in "fog of war", but you cannot directly attack them
- Fix for sheath/unsheath for combat
- Quiting game while server was loading would cause game to hang forever
- Skills in skilltree are now ordered alphabetically
- Only show playerlights for active players
- Changed secret system, added secret markers to journal and minimap
- Disabled Depth of Field in combat
- No highlights for invisible objects
- A hit without damage doesn't interrupt a character now
- Overlay materials are applied to effects now
- HP increase fixes when character gain talents or constitution...
- Fixed problems when teleporting character across levels
- Added more info to the loading screen
- Added progress bars to the loading screen
- Request removing of attached effects as soon as a character dies
- Fixed jitter when sitting
- Fixed preview for cone spells
- Fix for Attack of Opportunity previews not pointing the right way
- Fixed crash when fleeing combat with no available waypoints
- Saving throw for death removed
- Bumped savegame version
- Fixed non logical "Not enough space" issues while dragging items
- The camera will no longer keep scrolling when a message box pops up
- Dying in smoke will not make you invisible
- Fixed several flow issues when joining/disconnecting during dialogs
- A lot of minor stabilisation fixes

UI:
- Made changes so screen ratios > 16:9 work well now
- Added pickpocket UI
- New tooltip positioning system (works better with very wide resolutions)
- New loadingscreens
- New main menu art
- New skill tab
- Added RockPaperScissor UI
- Added secrets icon to maps
- Changed way UI fades work (works better with very wide resolutions)
- Equipment has toggle helmet visibility now
- Reworked character creation UI
- Target info now shows status names for NPCs
- Added subtitle system
- Itemsplitter is closed when the journal opens
- Added background to item splitter UI

<truncated here>

Full change log.

i want to buy this game so bad (as well as Grim Dawn...as well as Wasteland) but ughhhh "halfway playable" games aren't worth the ticket price to me :(

i want to buy this game so bad (as well as Grim Dawn...as well as Wasteland) but ughhhh "halfway playable" games aren't worth the ticket price to me :(

Yep. PC gaming has become a sad state of affairs in recent years.

I played the 60 dollar beta for Wasteland at a friends house, I absolutely loved it. But I am not paying that for an unfinished product.

I played the 60 dollar beta for Wasteland at a friends house, I absolutely loved it. But I am not paying that for an unfinished product.

Why is it a sad state of affairs? Nobody is forcing you to purchase an early access game. The point isn't "Pay to play early", it's "Pay to support the devs". There's nothing sad about it.

Why is it a sad state of affairs? Nobody is forcing you to purchase an early access game. The point isn't "Pay to play early", it's "Pay to support the devs". There's nothing sad about it.

The sad part is that some games don't ever seem to exit their Alpha/Beta stage; and when they go "release" the content/updates expected are a fraction of what was planned.

The only title *I* really feel burned on recently is Cubeworld in that regard, which released a hopeful alpha last july, get a huge bump of sales, then they simply stopped doing updates entirely.

The sad part is that some games don't ever seem to exit their Alpha/Beta stage; and when they go "release" the content/updates expected are a fraction of what was planned.

The only title *I* really feel burned on recently is Cubeworld in that regard, which released a hopeful alpha last july, get a huge bump of sales, then they simply stopped doing updates entirely.

I completely agree on that point, there are some that seem to be in early access FOREVER. Another that comes to mind is Prison Architect. my god that's been a while.

But the majority of the ones I've encountered have very active devs, and it's those that I contribute to.

To say Early Access is part of the "sad state of affairs" is an over exaggeration.

I installed and played the intro of this (ok actually I skipped the tutorial because handholding sections drive me insane).

The game looks pretty good, the dialogue is bit silly (you can argue between your two characters back and forth during conversations with NPC's), I'm going to give it a good play session sometime this weekend,

Fear not! I have supported their development process to assist in ensuring you guys get to play. Fun game so far, and the process is a good one, considering we get the full game when it inevitably releases.

this beta model is kinda the only way for the underdog devs to make a polished game. Either that or turn to EA and Activision.

Looks good. I played the original Divine Divinity.

I've always thought it was weird that you could go into someone's house, loot them of everything except the kitchen sink and nobody reacts to it.

Before and after Kickstarter video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevrTza0Nxg

This game wasn't on my radar but is looking pretty damn sexy. Only problem is that my pile of must play indie games is starting to grow as fast as my AAA pile. Don't know where I am going to find the time to play Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun.

I picked this up on kickstarter, along with Torment: Tides of Numenera. Those 2 games alone will have me busy for a while.

Its sadder that the entire industry is geared towards making cookie cutter rehashes of the same shit, that gamers are such spineless sacks of jelly that can't keep their wallets in their pockets even in the face of overwhelming evidence that they are being sold another turd, that marketing and hype can be used so effectively to sell terrible and appallingly broken products, that publishers and developers have so little integrity that they cannot even stand the thought of allowing their customers test the product before paying for it, etc.

Games like Wasteland are the antithesis of mainstream game development....you are not paying for the product, you are pledging support to develop a game that would not have otherwise been made if it was up to any AAA publisher.

Mod toolset is out with the Cow Simulator mod as a teaching tool on how to make mods for the game. Still have to wait until Monday to play the full release.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/522730701192038617/
EDITOR] Info & FAQ *UPDATE 2 Release Time*
UPDATE:
The editor should be available for everyone around 10:00 am PDT (19:00 CEST). We are still waiting on Valve. Apologies for the delay.

-Where can I find the editor?
You will find it under Library->Tools->The Divinity Engine (when it's available).

-Is there a Mac version for the editor?
No, the editor is windows only.

-What are the recommended specs for the editor?
8GB of RAM and a 64 bit OS is recommended. It will work on lower specs but you may not be able to open some of the larger levels.

-How do I setup the editor?
Guide: Initial editor setup

-How do I create a new mod?
Guide: Creating a new mod
Last edited by [LAR]Sebastiaan; 3 hours ago

I'm not understanding something..

you don't like the state of PC Gaming yet you found a PC game that you absolutely love to Play yet you aren't willing to pay for it?

===Does Not Compute===

I think that he is saying that he is only willing to spend money on finished games. Which is a very good stance to have as there are companies that have preyed on their customer's good will in the past. There are so many bad games on the market. How does a person know if a developer that last coded a hit game 25 years ago still has it? Or that they can lead a development team that can turn their ideas into a working cohesive A+ rated title? These are legitimate concerns.

But for some buying into an idea to get the project moving along is fine. This is a great stance to have as you're in at the ground floor helping to sculpt the next Mona Lisa of gaming. Back in the day artists used to have wealthy benefactors that financed their lifestyles so that they were free to express themselves on their own time. In exchange, the benefactors received special extras that equate to Kickstarter Early Adopter bonuses. The financier for the great artists have their names in the history books as do the artist that they sponsored. How did they know which artist to sponsor? They looked at their body of work and took a chance. Same as Kickstarter / Early Access backers do today. I'm quite sure there were plenty of artists that didn't pan out just like there are games that are just bad.

Which way is the best way? Optimist or Pragmatist? Conservative or Liberal? It all depends on you. Go with your gut feeling and don't fall for scams with obvious red herrings. Spend time researching a project before you commit. See what the development team has to show to you before you dare commit. There is an old Janet Jackson song, "What have you done for me lately?" Seek the truths behind their claims of having a hand in creating X,Y, and Z intellectual properties.

It's a little bit long, but it's just a small sampling of what you should consider before going hook, line, and sinker into a project that's still in a Pre-Alpha state of development.

I'm so going balls deep in this game next week. I haven't touched the beta for fear of spoiling it. I expect it to be the best non action RPG of the year.

Interested in this game, been watching the past week as it prep's for release. I'm probably going to pick it up on launch as it's the type of rpg I can get into but I'm cautious on these alpha/beta games... but this one appears to have moved itself along in the right way.

Cheers and enjoy the release! :cool:

Am i the only one completely turned off by the fact that an indie dev is releasing a game with day one DLC and at full price for the beta?

I get early access but early access at full price? Day one DLC? When did that stop being the ultimate evil in gaming?

Am i the only one completely turned off by the fact that an indie dev is releasing a game with day one DLC and at full price for the beta?

I get early access but early access at full price? Day one DLC? When did that stop being the ultimate evil in gaming?

Yes, because the "Day one DLC" is the extras that the developer promised the Kickstarter backers for helping them to fund the project. It was meant to be an exclusive Kickstarter backer only pack. A thank you from the development team for believing in them! When the game got to Steam, the Kickstarter backers expressed their desire to allow Steam Early Access purchasers in on the Kickstarter only pack.

In short the developer asked the Kickstarter backers how should they do this as they paid more to jumpstart development. They said make it an inexpensive DLC pack that way everyone could be happy. So that is why it exists.

So blame the Kickstarter backers for asking the developer to allow others to get the previously exclusive Kickstarter Edition only DLC.

You know that most Kickstarter funded games won't offer deep discounts until after a final release because that will only undermine the entire model right? Why would original backers bother pledging if they can just wait until after the original chumps fund the game and then pick it up for a 75% discount just because its an "alpha" or "beta"?

And as far as I can gather that Day-1 DLC is simply various things from the digital deluxe edition, in other words its just an upgrade option for people who purchased the bare game on kickstarter and who might want those extra things.

Game looks fantastic. Haven't played it yet, but will be purchasing this while it's 20% off on Steam.

I'm so going balls deep in this game next week. I haven't touched the beta for fear of spoiling it. I expect it to be the best non action RPG of the year.

Was going to support it, but now that you're playing it, I'm reconsidering.

;)

On the real though, looks neat as shit. Surprised the $2,500 pledge slots are filled, some people must be really into this.

The more I look at it the more I think that this game looks so god damn sexy. Think I might pick this up even though my pile of shame has become embarrassing.

Same here, played the intro a few versions ago, bound my keys (tried to, I could rebind some that I wanted...grumble), waiting for the "retail" version before i start...

Is it safe to start it now?

Same here, played the intro a few versions ago, bound my keys (tried to, I could rebind some that I wanted...grumble), waiting for the "retail" version before i start...

Is it safe to start it now?

Yea, full game is released today. It's $32 on Steam today for all those that didn't back the Kickstarter.

I haven't had internet in a month (fucking Comcast), hopefully I can hop on the neighbors internet to verify and do a final patch download today.

;)

On the real though, looks neat as shit. Surprised the $2,500 pledge slots are filled, some people must be really into this.

Do it. This game gonna do all them things the Dragon Age games shoulda done did.

;)

I was gonna pick this up but now so sure now..JK I'm all in.

Aw damn it. Now I guess I have to take this thing seriously. ;)

It looks damned good. Anyone want to spot me their spare copy? :D

OT: Space Engineers also has promise.

Last edited:
Aw damn it. Now I guess I have to take this thing seriously. ;)

It looks damned good. Anyone want to spot me their spare copy? :D

OT: Space Engineers also has promise.

Can we still support via Kickstarter? One of the tiers has a "get 2 copies" deal.

Can we still support via Kickstarter? One of the tiers has a "get 2 copies" deal.
Since it was officially released today, there is nothing left to Kickstart... So I would say NO! :D

Spend $55 for the 2-copy package on Steam and you'll be funding the next one ;).

Damn, I was hoping to get into this but after watching combat videos, I totally lost interest. I never liked taking turns while in combat.

Damn, I was hoping to get into this but after watching combat videos, I totally lost interest. I never liked taking turns while in combat.

This is the exact opposite of me. There is such a lack of quality turn based RPGs over the past decade. (And JRPGs don't count. They're a completely different subgenre).

Back