Divinity: Original Sin

Name some specifics, what's the name of the world and a few town names?
How about the name of a few main characters and describe their personalities?

I doubt anyone even knows any of this crap. It's so fortgettable you'll lose most of the information in the time it takes to quit the game and reach these forums.

I don't know about names of individuals. Hell, I'm terrible with names in real life, let alone computer games. I'm referring more to random anecdotes such as drunken guards that had humorous banter among many other examples. I will no go into specifics because there are plenty of people here that don't need spoilers.

In all fairness, based on what you've said, the game doesn't really sound like something you'd get into. It is a niche title with quite a specific player base.

I wouldn't mind some automatic quest markers myself... hell let there be a cartographer talent to invest in to enable it. Anyway...

I had reached level 3 and was not really getting anywhere in the Jake's murder quest (questioned all 4 suspects, exhumed his grave, re-questioned them) so I struck out towards the cemetery. I found a zombie troll guarding a slimed bridge and started a fight by accident. I saw it through (turns out the troll was an "innocent", whatever) and kept going. I found a Fire giant down near a waypoint portal and managed to kill it too and gained level 4 after killing those two. Crossed the bridge over to Silverglen and went south-east into the forest and ran into an Immaculate. He said that my group chased the White Witch to them (which they captured) and that she was responsible for the murder of Jake. Played a game of rock/paper/scissors to convince him to let me interrogate her and that's currently where I am.

How's this played out for the rest of you so far?

I wouldn't mind some automatic quest markers myself... hell let there be a cartographer talent to invest in to enable it. Anyway...
I'm passing on it for now until they add (or a mod adds) quest markers. They could make it an option you can enable/disable by your own preference.
I don't really want to roam around aimlessly trying to figure out what the game wants me to do. We're supposed to explore, I get it, but sometimes I want to complete quests and sometimes I want to explore. Not necessarily both at the same time.

It's especially frustrating since there aren't any directions given in the journal. Some N/S/E/W suggestions would be nice, but a lot of them just describe the job I'm supposed to be doing and nothing more. You'd think the NPC's asking me to do these quests would at least tell me where I'm supposed to go.

And the murder mystery stuff is especially uninteresting. Who the hell is "Jake" and why should I care? Everybody keeps talking about murder... Quest after quest. Strange storyline. I thought this was supposed to be a fantasy RPG? I see Orcs and shit.
Overall it's a fun game, but I'm not enjoying all the pointless padding.

Encyclopedias are like 1,000 pages but it doesn't mean they're fun to read.

I used to read encyclopedias as a child. My mother used to by a new set of the latest volumes from traveling salesmen so that I could study them. Those sets were really expensive, but it's what I loved to do as a child. I absolutely loved reading them so much that my father would come home and allow me to read articles to him. I would read him to sleep. We had more books in my home than our local public library. At least twice as many.

My days as a child were spent writing Dungeons and Dragons scenarios even though I didn't have anyone to act them out with. Then I discovered computers and video games in the early 1980's. There I started playing text adventures called MUDs. Here is an example of what an advanced predecessor to Divine Original Sin looked like. Note that the maps, graphics, health bars, etc didn't exist in the ones that I played. You had to count your left and right turns to figure out how to "get back home" from an adventure and command your character to read the text on signs to figure it out.

WelKCfj.png

Sorry that the game isn't for you. I have spent my money on games that I didn't enjoy in the past that others said were great like Bioshock Infinite. People were giving it 99/100 scores and I couldn't stand it for 5 minutes after the baptism scene. I just added it to my list of things to remember to avoid in the future.

I wouldn't compare MUD's (combat logs) to the endless pages of worthless dialog contained in Divinity Original Sin.
I'm not a toddler... Reading isn't my problem. My problem is the endless novel of garbage that Divinity thinks is "narrative" is actually uninteresting dribble. The more annoying issue is that I have to sift through all of it in order to see actual game content (quests).

Nostalgia goggles, people.
You can't honestly tell me "Jake's murder" is exciting and fulfilling content. WHO THE HELL IS JAKE?!

I was going to buy this at the Steam Sale but I found out that Pillars of Eternity was coming out which side tracked my plans for this game.
Right now I'm trying to finish both Baldurs Gate series which I never did in 1999.

You can't honestly tell me "Jake's murder" is exciting and fulfilling content. WHO THE HELL IS JAKE?!
That quest is part of the main story line. Jake is
the counselor who was murdered and is the reason you are in this area in the first place. You as a Source Hunter were called here because someone suspected that sourcery (lol) was used to commit the crime. If this quest wasn't in there, there would be no explanation as to why you came to this area.

As far as why you should care, that's up to you to decide as that is how you role play in this type of Role Playing Game. My reason is well obvious, I care because I am a source hunter and if source was used to commit murder I need to hunt the perpetrator since it is my job in the game world.
As far as exciting and fulfilling content, can't tell you yet as I haven't solved it yet. I have like a dozen quests already and I seem to keep getting more. I haven't really gone too far because the Jake quest is part of the main storyline and I want to do the other quests first so as to not go forward too fast. The one small aspect of the game I kind of wish was in there was a day/night cycle. When I was going through my logs, it said day 2 already but it never got dark so it kind of breaks immersion.

I had reached level 3 and was not really getting anywhere in the Jake's murder quest (questioned all 4 suspects, exhumed his grave, re-questioned them) so I struck out towards the cemetery. I found a zombie troll guarding a slimed bridge and started a fight by accident. I saw it through (turns out the troll was an "innocent", whatever) and kept going. I found a Fire giant down near a waypoint portal and managed to kill it too and gained level 4 after killing those two. Crossed the bridge over to Silverglen and went south-east into the forest and ran into an Immaculate. He said that my group chased the White Witch to them (which they captured) and that she was responsible for the murder of Jake. Played a game of rock/paper/scissors to convince him to let me interrogate her and that's currently where I am.

if you do enough in town investigating you get a map marker for next part

added person A and person B to my spoiler text to avoid using the actual names (which I do know if that somehow proves to TaintedSquirrel this game isn't just endless novels of garbage :confused:)

I was able to find a few things in town that led to person A in town fleeing which then person B pointed me to her bag which had a key to her house, this in turn uncovered a scroll with some poem/chanting lines on it and a marker on my map to her secret lair... started heading towards it and ended up in a fight with 3 melee skele's, 1 skele priest, and 3 skele archers that took quite a while to down... called it a night there but I think I'm just behind where you headed.

That quest is part of the main story line. Jake is
the counselor who was murdered and is the reason you are in this area in the first place. You as a Source Hunter were called here because someone suspected that sourcery (lol) was used to commit the crime. If this quest wasn't in there, there would be no explanation as to why you came to this area.

As far as why you should care, that's up to you to decide as that is how you role play in this type of Role Playing Game. My reason is well obvious, I care because I am a source hunter and if source was used to commit murder I need to hunt the perpetrator since it is my job in the game world.
As far as exciting and fulfilling content, can't tell you yet as I haven't solved it yet. I have like a dozen quests already and I seem to keep getting more. I haven't really gone too far because the Jake quest is part of the main storyline and I want to do the other quests first so as to not go forward too fast. The one small aspect of the game I kind of wish was in there was a day/night cycle. When I was going through my logs, it said day 2 already but it never got dark so it kind of breaks immersion.

yeah the day/night cycle I believe was on the KS page for this game at the $1M goal but they only got up to like ~$950k unfortunately

Last edited:
blah blah blah about quest markers and directions

if you had the game or watched a playthrough, you might notice that after talking to someone you start a 'quest' automatically and a lot of the time they mark the map for relevant information for instance, when you first reach the town you meet Arhu who tells you to go see the legion commander, Aureus, regarding the murder of Jake because Source magic was used... this is as you approach the gate to the town and the only path to take and immediately after if you look at your map it'll have a marker in the 'fog of war' labeled Aureus

this is just one early example, but it happens repeatedly whether players notice it or not, but the game doesn't hold your hand and draw lines on the ground for you to mindlessly follow

I'm passing on it for now until they add (or a mod adds) quest markers. They could make it an option you can enable/disable by your own preference.
I don't really want to roam around aimlessly trying to figure out what the game wants me to do. We're supposed to explore, I get it, but sometimes I want to complete quests and sometimes I want to explore. Not necessarily both at the same time.

It's especially frustrating since there aren't any directions given in the journal. Some N/S/E/W suggestions would be nice, but a lot of them just describe the job I'm supposed to be doing and nothing more. You'd think the NPC's asking me to do these quests would at least tell me where I'm supposed to go.

And the murder mystery stuff is especially uninteresting. Who the hell is "Jake" and why should I care? Everybody keeps talking about murder... Quest after quest. Strange storyline. I thought this was supposed to be a fantasy RPG? I see Orcs and shit.
Overall it's a fun game, but I'm not enjoying all the pointless padding.

Yea, I don't know why you'd be interested in a game like this. You click past all dialogue and then wonder why you don't know what to do next?

Yea, I don't know why you'd be interested in a game like this. You click past all dialogue and then wonder why you don't know what to do next?

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks. I'm of one of the only people in my circle of friends (since the 90's at least in terms of gaming backgrounds) that doesn't mind waiting a long time for something interesting to happen. I don't mind the reading (even if it's dull at the time), but I mean if nothing happens for a VERY long time, I can see people getting frustrated. Sure, there are games that are like that, where you literally have to pour hours into the game to get something worthwhile, and I get that a lot of people like that, so I suppose it is what it is. You either like it, or you flat out hate it. :eek:

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks. I'm of one of the only people in my circle of friends (since the 90's at least in terms of gaming backgrounds) that doesn't mind waiting a long time for something interesting to happen. I don't mind the reading (even if it's dull at the time), but I mean if nothing happens for a VERY long time, I can see people getting frustrated. Sure, there are games that are like that, where you literally have to pour hours into the game to get something worthwhile, and I get that a lot of people like that, so I suppose it is what it is. You either like it, or you flat out hate it. :eek:

Sure, and no offense implied in my previous post. Though, how dull the reading is will be completely subjective as well. It sounds to me like this guy is just more used to having games take a direct approach, rather than be free form where the motivation is up to the player. Same reason some people couldn't get into Morrowind.

The target demographic for this game usually has no issue staying motivated in a more loosely controlled environment.

Sure, and no offense implied in my previous post. Though, how dull the reading is will be completely subjective as well. It sounds to me like this guy is just more used to having games take a direct approach, rather than be free form where the motivation is up to the player. Same reason some people couldn't get into Morrowind.

The target demographic for this game usually has no issue staying motivated in a more loosely controlled environment.

I think the last sentence you wrote there really rings true. At the end of the day, people WILL enjoy this. How many is hard to tell, but it'll be a very significant amount for sure that yearn for this kind of gameplay.

I think the last sentence you wrote there really rings true. At the end of the day, people WILL enjoy this. How many is hard to tell, but it'll be a very significant amount for sure that yearn for this kind of gameplay.

Yep. It's been the top seller on Steam all week. Reviews are rather positive (~8.5).

Sounds good.

I've always approached this kind of game with the mindset that I'm playing a really good book.

if you do enough in town investigating you get a map marker for next part

added person A and person B to my spoiler text to avoid using the actual names (which I do know if that somehow proves to TaintedSquirrel this game isn't just endless novels of garbage :confused:)

I was able to find a few things in town that led to person A in town fleeing which then person B pointed me to her bag which had a key to her house, this in turn uncovered a scroll with some poem/chanting lines on it and a marker on my map to her secret lair... started heading towards it and ended up in a fight with 3 melee skele's, 1 skele priest, and 3 skele archers that took quite a while to down... called it a night there but I think I'm just behind where you headed.
Just wanted to note (not sure if it's just me) but if you put an apostrophe in the spoiler tag title or it won't unfold.

So is this game comparable to Baldurs Gate? I just uninstalled the advanced edition
because my damn characters leave the group don't have time to read FAQs trying to save my game file.

So is this game comparable to Baldurs Gate? I just uninstalled the advanced edition
because my damn characters leave the group don't have time to read FAQs trying to save my game file.

In some ways, but more of a mix of Ultima VII, Morrowind and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Just not sold on the graphics dept....does it look like Leage of Legends Playdoh..
the Inquistor had way too much text for me to care about.

The fact you can Mod doesn't make it Ultima I thought Ultima 8 was the bomb along with Ultima Online.

The fact you can Mod doesn't make it Ultima I thought Ultima 8 was the bomb along with Ultima Online.

The game shares mechanics with the Ultima series. Sandbox, being able to interact with every object, crafting and combining things to make new recipes, storytelling.

The fact that it has mod tools has nothing to do with game mechanic similarities. Don't make me get my belt.

So after I poked around Silverglen for a bit I returned to the cemetery and ran into a madman that summoned two dozen explody skeletons, fortunately I had things that could make them go boom from range and proceeded to blow them all up safely and dispatched the madman.

Went South-East from there and found an Undead Battlemage, Fully Armoured Archer, and three Ghastly Zombies which were all level 8 to my level 4's. After some careful planning and hit and run tactics I managed to drop the three Ghastly Zombies and fled combat. Returned and killed the Fully Armoured Archer and fled again. Returned and easily dispatched the Undead Battlemage (he's vulnerable to knockdown and freezing).

Continued on to the church doors and did rock/paper/scissors since I never did the initiation ritual in Silverglen (gotta be an immaculate to get inside without a challenge) and got inside. Ran into some 4 cultists which I took down and found quite a stash of treasure and equipment inside the church (there is a hidden trapdoor in the floor in the room with the "BLASPHEMY" book that takes you outside to more treasure). Lifted all the paintings to slide altar out of the way and I'm currently staring at a set of stairs leading down.

Not sure if I should continue since I'm way underleveled for the area... but so far I've managed to hold my own with smart play. We'll see what happens down here.

Edit: So I went down and there if a forcefield blocking the way that needs something small and hexagonal to open. I can see "Thelyron" laying down on the other side of it. Guess I'll go poke around Silverglen some more.

Last edited:
I'm still at work now, but will dive back in when I get home. I've only barely gotten to the town, but I want to hurry and level to the point where I can talk to animals, they seem to have all the juiciest gossip.

I'm still at work now, but will dive back in when I get home. I've only barely gotten to the town, but I want to hurry and level to the point where I can talk to animals, they seem to have all the juiciest gossip.

This is when we know we're doing alright. When animals have the best gossip. :cool:

I can't confirm this, but from what I'm reading about the boxed version is that even though the game is "DRM free", you still need to activate it on Steam to download the game. Once it's on your computer you can move the game anywhere you want to backup or so you can uninstall Steam.

I can't confirm this, but from what I'm reading about the boxed version is that even though the game is "DRM free", you still need to activate it on Steam to download the game. Once it's on your computer you can move the game anywhere you want to backup or so you can uninstall Steam.

That appears to be correct. There is quite a bit of freaking out about it too although Steam is only used to patch the game and then is no longer needed and can be uninstalled. If you backed the KS, you can log into your Larian Vault account and get a GOG key if you're anti-Steam.

The game shares mechanics with the Ultima series. Sandbox, being able to interact with every object, crafting and combining things to make new recipes, storytelling.

The fact that it has mod tools has nothing to do with game mechanic similarities. Don't make me get my belt.

You can interact with many objects, but unlike Ultima VII, you can't interact with every object. There are quantifiably more objects you can interact with in Divinity Original Sin (and with some, more ways you can interact with them), but Ultima VII came out in 1992.

Plus, unlike U7, the game has generic NPCs ("Hi, I'm Villager"), lack of day/night/weather cycles, and NPCs don't have their own schedule. Another thing I preferred about U7 was that if you killed an NPC in full plate mail, you could loot full plate mail. You kill an enemy here, you might get 1 or 2 items if you're lucky, even if they look decked out in full plate mail. And the world isn't entirely seamless. There still exist invisible walls, dungeons are their own instances. Plus, you enter the tutorial dungeon heading east the entire time and come out west of where you entered the dungeon...

Don't get me wrong, Divinity Original Sin is a decent game, but I am disappointed that it was attempting to be a spiritual successor to Ultima VII and just doesn't reach that goal

Last edited:
Price for collector go up to $70 from $55? Thought I was going crazy for second.

I really wanted to like this game ... but I just can't stand it.

Why is the first quest, Jakes murder, so damn difficult and bugged? You talk to someone in the wrong order, you don't win one of those stupid paper, rock, scissors, mini-games then you are basically stuck or the quest won't progress.

I'm overall loving this game but the difficulty and progression of quests is really unbalanced. Jake's murder, like Draax above, is really out of whack because every conversational challenge is shut down. I actually think i've dead ended myself with the quest.

I'm overall loving this game but the difficulty and progression of quests is really unbalanced. Jake's murder, like Draax above, is really out of whack because every conversational challenge is shut down. I actually think i've dead ended myself with the quest.

Haven't played the game, but couldn't that be because its an early quest for a high charisma build?

Well yeah, that's the problem. Almost everything that I've run into so far, quest dialogue or bad guy is grossly overpowered. The opening tutorial area is appropriately weak but once you get to the first town I can't win any conversations so Jake's Murder is effectively over since the next segment of the quest won't activate. I also have gone two directions out of town for some of the first quests I've been given and holy fuck the bad guys are just way too much, it is a little ridiculous.

I've spent a few hours on this game and it definitely shows a lot of promise. However, I agree that the starting murder quest will put off 90% of people from ever making any real progress with the game. In order to solve the murder you really have to explore the crap out of the entire town and exhaust dialogue with npcs if you want to solve it and the world/lore really isn't that interesting to be honest. I'm just forcing myself to get through this starting town and hopefully the rest of the game won't be so tedious.

A good tip for the new guys is to get your companions ASAP when you get to town (Madora and Jahan) before you start messing with the quests.

odd, I found the quest rather easy and I didn't win any of the conversation dialogues I had to do either...

Yeah the difficulty is pretty high and I am set at normal. You can change it at anytime to easy though if you want but I don't know if it will make that much of a difference. I am exploring and every battle is hard if they are even 1 level higher than you. I only just got one of my companions recently and it helped a lot, I know there is another, but I don't want to
join the fabulous five thing which is
required for the other character. I was thinking about hiring one, but money is so darn tight, I can't get one at my level, I'd have to go to a Level 1 character and I just can't get myself to spend that kind of money for a weak character and level it up. I really think you need a party of 4 or the game is significantly harder. I know with 2 it was very hard to do many of the battles with stuff only 1 level higher. With things 2 levels higher even with a party of 3 becomes very difficult because you just don't have enough action points. I think I am going to just have to fulfill the requirements of the last companion and get it even though I don't want to (role playing wise). I think the devs designed most of encounters as your party of 4 vs whatever.

My experience so far has been to drop the quests outright and just explore the crap out of everything. I made it to Silverglen with a 3 man crew at level 3 (made level 4 just before crossing the bridge). That helped progress things a bit. Cleared out the country side there a bit and came back to Cyseal and I've managed to clear the entire map after picking up a 4th, which progressed a few of my quests. Going to wander back to Silverglen and start clearing mobs there too and see what happens.

Back