Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

2.0 might go live in two weeks (specifically, March 4th): http://www.diablofans.com/news/47946-2-0-might-be-live-in-2-weeks

-2.0 will go live in two weeks.
-Players who pre-purchased RoS will get the Wings of Valor (the article emphasize both physical version and digital version counts, but didn't say which edition, I am guessing SE DDE CE all counts).
-When Heroes of the Storm is shipped, players who pre-purchased RoS will also get the playable Demon Hunter for free.
-There will be some kind of XP boost before RoS went live. Details to be revealed soon.

I thought the 2.0 patch won't come out unless the AH is removed?

That's the impression I was under too but I guess with all the new legs/sets/gold/mats being bind-on-account that it won't really matter if people are trading a few ilvl 60 rares on the AH for 2 weeks, especially when all those items will be outclassed by the higher level items from RoS rather quickly.

I tried out my Barb on the PTR last night and was really disappointed to see that they nerfed my Schaefer's Hammer into the ground. Instead of the "protected by lightning" proc doing massive lightning damage (120K+) it now does like 10-15K which is absolutely horrible. It was a fun item that you could build around and now it's just a slow 2Hander with bad damage and a modest increase to lightning skills.

In fact, I'm not sure what to think of what they've done to the Barb class as a whole. My throw Barb is a complete mess now that they seem to have removed all crit synergy from the class and really reduced fury generation...

I've canceled my RoS pre-order for the time being and am taking a wait-and-see approach. My confidence is...waning.

That's the impression I was under too but I guess with all the new legs/sets/gold/mats being bind-on-account that it won't really matter if people are trading a few ilvl 60 rares on the AH for 2 weeks, especially when all those items will be outclassed by the higher level items from RoS rather quickly.

I tried out my Barb on the PTR last night and was really disappointed to see that they nerfed my Schaefer's Hammer into the ground. Instead of the "protected by lightning" proc doing massive lightning damage (120K+) it now does like 10-15K which is absolutely horrible. It was a fun item that you could build around and now it's just a slow 2Hander with bad damage and a modest increase to lightning skills.

In fact, I'm not sure what to think of what they've done to the Barb class as a whole. My throw Barb is a complete mess now that they seem to have removed all crit synergy from the class and really reduced fury generation...

I've canceled my RoS pre-order for the time being and am taking a wait-and-see approach. My confidence is...waning.

This is blizzard. They never go for true balance, they just shuffle the deck.

I understand your position, it's a very valid one especially if you are attached to your Barbarian as your main. However, I just wanna play as a Crusader!!!

He just seems super bad ass! I just can't wait for that reason alone.

I do feel that the loot system is greatly improved. My Hardcore Mode Monk is now 25 and has almost made it to Belial in normal mode (RoS has a weird level progression, I didn't beat Act 1 until I was level 20 (I wasn't slacking or repeating content, I just straight up did EVERYTHING in Act 1 before moving on). That said it always seems like you get timely gear upgrades, whether it's rare drops or great stats you roll from crafting or the Legendaries that drop far more frequently than they did in vanilla D3.

I have had 3 different legendary weapons drop for my Monk already and all of them were upgrades over what I was using.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna repeat myself from an earlier post, if you're on the PTR and you see all this good stuff drop at the rate it is, it truly does feel like they are sort of bribing you by showing you the payoff from playing lol.

I hesitate to say that's a bad thing though, on one hand, the mental and emotional satisfaction gained from plundering your own items is there albeit at a much more rewarding rate than vanilla D3, I have also seen videos of some guys doing high level runs on the PTR and getting an inventory full of legendaries in a short amount of time so that kind of cheapens it a little.

On the other hand, at least "earning it" is more tangible than playing Diablo 3: EBay Edition.

I think I do like the new loot system better, it feels more true to the original spirit of the game that you can and should upgrade by looting gear.

I definitely don't want to see a return where we can do a whole play through and see no legendaries or set items drop.

On my Monk 1-25 I got 3 legendary weapons and 1 legendary helm (See No Evil). That averages out to be one legendary every 6 levels which doesn't sound too unreasonable, but I think if that ratio were cut in half it would be perfect.

But again, Hardcore mode, I need all the help I can get lol.

I understand your position, it's a very valid one especially if you are attached to your Barbarian as your main. However, I just wanna play as a Crusader!!!

It's not even about that (I split time between most of the classes: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aix-1131/), but rather that I'm no longer certain that the items and skills have been tweaked in a way that is going to add depth or fun. The Schaefer's Hammer, for example, was the type of weapon that was fun and interesting because you could build around it in a unique way. The fact that they nerfed it indicates to me that they don't know what they are doing.

There's also a lot of discussion on the forums regarding the current strength of 2H vs dual-wield or S&B. Mosqueira has apparently said that 2H is fine as-is despite being shown the actual math that demonstrates the disparity.

Oh man, that's the old "working as intended" line that Blizz has put out since the early days of WoW.

Mosqueira hasn't said anything by the way. There are 3 separate designers that are in charge of the various classes and systems of RoS.

About 2H, Travis Day said he's fine if more people DW 1H instead of 2H. Even if 2H do overall less damage, he feels they still have a place in the game. If it gets to the point where no one is using 2H weapons, then they'll look into it.

As for the Fury change, there was a certain cookie cutter build that generated way too much Fury. It's not a black or white issue, some people think it was nerfed too much, some people think it's good because it forces Barbarians to have more than 1 Generator on their bar.

About 2H, Travis Day said he's fine if more people DW 1H instead of 2H. Even if 2H do overall less damage, he feels they still have a place in the game. If it gets to the point where no one is using 2H weapons, then they'll look into it.

That's good; why look into now during beta testing? It's not like 2-handers were godawful at launch of vanilla or anything...oh wait they were. But you're right: I got Mosqueira mixed up with Day, who was doing a stream with Druin recently.

The thing with the Barb is that I thought it was probably the best-designed class in vanilla. There were a couple of broken skills that led to broken builds that everyone used, but for the most part the active and passive skills worked harmoniously, with crit chance tying the skills and the gear together. Now it just feels like they've dismantled the class because they've disrupted that harmony.

I might actually jump back in for RoS even though I said I was done with these types of games. My internet connection sucks ass though, and you actually need a good internet connection for D3 HC.

Messing around on the ptr this morning... Found an old hellfire ring on my baby barb with 1000 thorns damage on it. Popped it on and ran around letting things kill themselves against me. Can do torment 2 or 3 with that kind of reflect.... Should be nice for my crusader at release

People still spouting this bullshit. No one was ever forced to use the AH. Just like no one is forced to trade in Path of Exile. However, if you want to go as fast as you possibly can through everything, you're going to do these things. These types of games in general are a complete joke. The games are focused more on "economy" than actually being an enjoyable experience. People will hate on the game more with stuff being account bound and no AH. I'm calling it right now. People play these games to get items. They'll take the easiest path no matter what. It can't be fixed because the entire point of the game is to just mindlessly kill shit to hit the jackpot. It's exactly the same reward structure as gambling and it's the reason people play these horrible games. Let's be serious here. Games like Diablo 3 and Path of Exile aren't exactly the deepest, challenging games out there. They are just slot machines with fancy graphics.

When I say that the AH destroyed the game, I am talking about the points you made. Yes these types of games (ARPG) are based around a "Jackpot" system, this we know. It is a form of gambling. The Auction House circumvents these types of play mechanics for the majority of people. You are correct, people will take the easiest path possible like using the Auction House. I believe that it destroyed the game because of that reason. You can bring up the argument "Well if you don't like it, don't use it". That argument doesn't really matter because the AH exists anyway & because of it, the game suffers because the developers built the game around it rather than itemizing the game for the casual player. The game right now forces you to build any character for MF and MP lvls in order to get a chance at decent to good loot, which for is terrible when a person just wants to jump on for an hour or so, you're basically pigeonholed into a type of play style. The illusion of Choice ( Character Skill Runes) As it sits right now the game consists of ( Kill elite packs, get 5 Nef stacks, Kill Act Boss , cycle, rinse, repeat.)

They're doing maintenance until 11AM PST, but going by Blizzard's track record, I wouldn't expect the servers to be up until 1PM at the very least. Hope I'm wrong though!

If there was a preorder sale like D3 + RoS for $40 or $50, I'd probably buy it and start playing. No way I'm gonna buy D3 for $40 when there is sure to be a combo pack after RoS release though.

Did they patch in 2.0????

edit: I'm dumb, apparently they will during the maintenence, just looked, but I don't know if that's CONFIRMED or not.

because the developers built the game around it

you miss one point.
they build this game around money auctions that they would make real money out of it.
that was their intent and a test for titan.
game $60, $15 a month and BIG MONEY from item sales, ALL item sales, no in game auctions with virtual money.
that was the intent for titan, what it is now is any ones guess.

RoS splash screen and a bunch of patching going on as of 2/25 this am. Looks like this is it. Servers still offline for maintenance though so can't confirm loot 2.0 just yet.

rj

Looks like it just is a small patch?

1.08a patch.

Looks like it just addresses minor bugs and fixes them, that's it.

If there was a preorder sale like D3 + RoS for $40 or $50, I'd probably buy it and start playing. No way I'm gonna buy D3 for $40 when there is sure to be a combo pack after RoS release though.

I paid $20 for Diablo 3, and if I end up liking it with Loot 2.0 then I might pick up RoS for $20 or less when it goes on sale, as well. :p

I read through the patch notes for the first time. They certainly didn't hold back on the changes. It will be like a completely different for me after not having played it for over a year.

Sounds like they totally revamped the whole game from the reading those changes, heh.

Trust me, from the time I spent on the Public Test Realm, you guys will love 2.0's loot system!

Crafting is MUCH better as well.

Back