Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Not sure how I feel about them removing all difficulty levels in favor of same level scaling.

On one hand I think 4 difficulty levels are a bit much, on the other hand, this seems like it would add replayability.

Actually they didn't remove the difficulty levels, they just changed them to: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master and Torment 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Torment is more or less a rebrand of Inferno with a more streamlined version of Monster Power.

Looked up some gameplay of the RoS beta, one guy was complaining about there being less elite packs.

I honestly wish they would straight up bring back D2's Necromancer.

Looked up some gameplay of the RoS beta, one guy was complaining about there being less elite packs.

I honestly wish they would straight up bring back D2's Necromancer.

I found it refreshing, especially because the rare packs you do run into drop quality loot now. Its the best trade off possible. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Played a little Inferno, it's not hard at all it seems but again, I did buy my way lol

I found a set item for the first time ever. I remember in D2, you would find set items sew at regularly.

Played a little Inferno, it's not hard at all it seems but again, I did buy my way lol

I found a set item for the first time ever. I remember in D2, you would find set items sew at regularly.

Trying playing in the PTR on Torment 6 :eek:. It is pretty tough.

I agree about the set items. I didn't find a single set item in the vanilla game through my 400+ hours of game play with all of my three characters. When I tried the PTR with the Loot 2.0 patch I found a set item within the first hour of gameplay. Maybe it was luck but it gives me high hopes that this new iteration of the game will wash the foul taste of the vanilla game out of my mouth, if only for the itemization. At this point I don't know if the story can be saved. Its going to take a herculean effort to allow me to walk away from it and feel satisfied. But I am hopeful that this new team is trying their best to repair the damage caused by Jay "Lord of dingbats" Wilson and his army of Oafs.

I loved D1 and of course loved D2 but never could get into D3. I would really like to give RoS a try but $40 for an expansion? That seems like quite a bit.

Well, LoD also added TWO new classes, plus a ton of other items and mechanics, alongside the fifth act.

I guess we'll see if the D3 expansion delivers that much content.

The main difference is almost all of that content was gated; you HAD to buy LoD if you wanted anything new.

Most of the new mechanic and item changes will be patched into D3 Vanilla.

It "creates" more value for the expansion, but Blizz kinda did leave D2V hanging out to dry once LoD was released.

HellsThunder#1596 if any of you wanna play tonight, I should be on for a few hours, leveling my 27 monk or my 30 Barb, just hit me up.

Blizz says server space, and the only reason we got an extra one now is due to the removal of the AH.

Not exactly buying the "server space" argument from Blizzard either. With the creation of "build enabling uniques" that are account bound, you're gonna need a lot more space to make use of them.

I realize that PoE doesn't have nearly the playerbase of D3, but a single stash tab in that game is equal to about 2 of D3's tabs, and you can have as many of them as you want to buy (It's not uncommon for people to have 20+ of them).

Also isn't the "auction house queue" like 50 items? Not sure how losing 50 slots for 1 tab is a fair trade either. (Referring to the stack that items get put in if you buy something with the AH or it fails to sell)

Had a chance to check out the PTR today (non-RoS beta) and took my Wizard for a stroll on Torment 3. I have been excited for scalable legendaries and my first one didn't disappoint: The Swami wizard hat with like 350 vit, 350 int, etc. I was already running a cold build and I was pleased to see that the new Frozen Orb rocks! Teamed it up with Power Hungry and APoC for huge spammage. For some reason the signature spells all felt extremely weak but it might just be the nature of the monster HP bloat when playing torment.

I played a much shorter amount of time with my DH but it felt about the same as playing vanilla content. Definitely some nice passive changes but it seemed like a lot of the skills were unchanged.

Nice to see demonic essences were dropping like candy, and I found a number of plans, including a Hallowed Defenders plan. There's still plenty of junk (and there should be), but lots of interesting stuff dropping too, and my characters are already kitted out pretty good at level 60. I even found a ring that was good enough for me to ditch my Wailing Host (had like 190 vit, 73 all res, 4% attack speed, 5% crit chance, and 3000 health globe bonus).

One thing I thought was awesome was the new champion pack mods, with lightning strikes from the heavens, roaming electrical orbs, and streaking poison blobs to name a few. Looking forward to the randomized content of RoS.

If you played the PTR recently then there shouldn't really be monster HP bloat. They nerfed the hell out of monster HP on every Torment level (50% on 1/2, 65% on 3/4 and nearly 90% on 5/6). Previously I could only manage Torment 1, now I can easily clear Torment 3.

I'm guessing the next patch will buff HP values again because a lot of people are complaining it's way too easy now.

Also test your DH again, most of the changes were quality of life stuff that made playing the class feel a lot better. I still think they need to buff DH survivability in a significant fashion due to the fact that dodge is not something you can rely on in the harder difficulties (pre-patch Torment 3+ you'd die in 1 or 2 hits from most packs).

Anyone wanna do crypt runs? I've never done it before so would love it if someone could bring me along.

Anyone have any idea how long it'll be till PTR goes live? As a long-time level 60 player capped at paragon 100 on my monk, I would love to start working towards that account-wide paragon system as my wizard's been neglected.... (mostly due to lack of good gear for her) and at least be able to give her 'some' of the benefits my monk enjoys. If nothing else, the Magic Find. I find it difficult to abandon my monks +300% MF/GF to go back to 30% or so...and a much slower speed of killing using my gimped wizard.

Anyone have any idea how long it'll be till PTR goes live? As a long-time level 60 player capped at paragon 100 on my monk, I would love to start working towards that account-wide paragon system as my wizard's been neglected.... (mostly due to lack of good gear for her) and at least be able to give her 'some' of the benefits my monk enjoys. If nothing else, the Magic Find. I find it difficult to abandon my monks +300% MF/GF to go back to 30% or so...and a much slower speed of killing using my gimped wizard.

Where did you go to hit paragon 100? seems impossible... I'm paragon 32.

For exp, Act 2 is the best for solo exp ever since they nerfed act 3 scorpions. Checkpoint at Vault of Assassins and 5stack, and then go clear Dahlgur Oasis and a couple other places ( I don't remember the rest of the places). Then remake the game and you will be at VoA and 5stack again.

Crypt runs are only good if you have a well rounded party with all the right buffs and debuffs for efficiency

If you played the PTR recently then there shouldn't really be monster HP bloat. They nerfed the hell out of monster HP on every Torment level (50% on 1/2, 65% on 3/4 and nearly 90% on 5/6). Previously I could only manage Torment 1, now I can easily clear Torment 3.

I'm guessing the next patch will buff HP values again because a lot of people are complaining it's way too easy now.

I wasn't able to find those values, just a "Monster Health has been significantly reduced in Torment II and above" patch note. I was under the impression that the Torment difficulties were the game's answer to the huge jump in power that players will experience between 60 and 70, is that not the case? Because there most certainly is bloat even if they reduced it recently; my experience was based on characters that are only level 60 since I don't have the RoS beta, so clearly my characters would be facing an uphill battle in that regard.

I just reinstalled this game after seeing the auction halls are being removed. I wonder how much use having (substantial) gold will be post RoS since it seems the only sink is crafting/enhancing.

It will continue to be the same game you hated until March 25th, 2014.

Lol, well said.

So you who tried out the PTR, very happy with the new Loot 2.0 system? Has anyone tried to level a character from scratch to see how it performs?

Lol, well said.

So you who tried out the PTR, very happy with the new Loot 2.0 system? Has anyone tried to level a character from scratch to see how it performs?

I've played a new character on the console version, which is apparently the same loot 2.0 system. It feels so much better.

Can I install the PTR to access the RoS beta or do I have to be in the beta or what?

PTR without beta will give you the loot2.0 patch. You can also copy over all of your live characters, easily from within the game.

I'm starting to think the people working on D3 have yet to play a Barb or any class really

Bash - (rune) Reduced bonus Fury generation from 3 to 2
Cleave - (rune) Reduced bonus Fury per enemy hit from 2 to 1
Weapon Throw - (rune) Reduced bonus Fury generation from 3 to 2
Animosity - (passive) Reduced increased Fury generation from 20% to 15%
Superstition - (passive) Reduced Fury granted on taking damage from 3 to 2
+ a bunch of dmg nerfs on various abilities

Wizards are still running around with APOC though

Honestly, I can complete an mp3-run of Act 3's most dense area of mobs in about 14 minutes. That involves me starting at the Keeps act 3 waypoint, working up backwards to keeps lvl 2. Going as far as I can until I hit a wall. TPing to town, using the waypoint to lvl 2 and working as far as I can till I reach a wall. TPing to town, using the waypoint to lvl 2 and taking the stairs...working as far as I can till a dead. TPing to town, using the door directly to keeps and going as far as I can, TPing to town again.

From there, TPing to different waypoints in tower and checking right-nxt to the waypoint for oftenly spawned e-packs to get me up to 5 stacks of NV if I don't have it already. Once I'm at 5 stacks of NV, just doing the different Arreat Core levels.

Restart, rinse, repeat. An MP3 run of that at lvl 32 should get you like 1 full paragon level in 14 minutes. Mostly everything dies for me instantly with one hit at MP3. Your goal is to pick the lowest level MP that you can basically kill without stopping moving as life bars basically bloat upwards as you increase in level and kill times get exponentially slower per mob but the exp for killing said mob only increases linearly.

If you have 50k dps, mp0-1 (+10% XP bonus), 100kdps about mp1-2(+20% xp bonus), 150k base dps mp3(+30% xp bonus), 225k base dps mp4(+40% bonus) and so-on is required for one-hit-kills of everything that's non-elite. Each increase in MP level requires about 150% the DPS and only yields 10% more exp.

If you had 50k dps for example, and could kill 10 monsters in 1 second because you can one-hit kill them, you'd stand to gain, let's say 10k exp per second (assuming each monster gave 1k).

Now, if you had 50k dps and were attempting to kill on mp2 instead of mp1, you could kill those same 10-monsters in 1.5 seconds (as they now have 150% the health) but each monster now gives 1.1k exp (10% bonus applied), so you'd stand to gain 11k exp per 1.5 seconds. (Note, that's not 11k per 1 second but 1.5 seconds as you are killing slower) or approximately 7.5k per sec

Now, if you had 50k dps and were attempting to kill on mp3 instead of mp1, you could kill those same 10-monsters in 2.25 seconds (as they now have 150% the health of the previous mp level) but each monster now gives 1.2k exp (20% bonus applied), so you'd stand to gain 12k exp per 2.25 seconds. Approx 5.75k per second

The next level, on mp4, Its 10 monsters per 3.50 seconds for 13k exp total. Or roughly 13k exp per 3.50 seconds or appoximately 4k exp per second

Thus, each time you increase the MP difficulty, your experience per second is going down fast. The ONLY exception is if you can still kill in one second. That requires MORE dps though. For 1 second kill exp at a given mp level, its the rough numbers given above. MP0-1 correlates to 50k. 100k for mp1-2, 150k mp3, 225k mp4, etc.

If you have 225k exp giving 1 sec kill times on mp4, you can achieve 14k exp per 1 second(assuming you kill a pack of 10 mobs in 1 second). You do have to be more mindful when killing e-packs though as dmg inc is increased so more 'attention' is required. Its easier to gain energy(fury, spirit, etc) at an appropriate mp level as you do run into 'stuff dies too fast' issues with mp0. Mp1-2 though is much easier to do while say completely distracted watching tv @ 225k dps with no risk of death than mp4. Your exp would decrease though to 11-13k depending on mp1-mp3. The question is whether you want that small extra speed boost for having to pay attention or not.

Anyways, fastest exp arises from the lowest mp required to kill stuff in one-hit or one-hit kills for large packs of 'regular' mobs. Higher MP = Lower exp. In fact, largely lower MP = better item farming as well as your paragon level gets higher. As MP10 = +250% MF/GF and Paragon level 100 gives +300% MF/GF. Thus if you are paragon 100 and play on MP10, you have 550% MF/GF base. With 5 NV of +75%, that's 625% MF/GF. On MP0, it's 375% MF/GF with 5 NV stacks. However, -- MP10 mobs have 2250% HP of MP0 mobs. So it literately potentially takes 22.5% as long to kill for a little under double the chance of an item dropping. Of course, you should go for whatever MP level you can one-shot to maximize farming. Same DPS requirements as above.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the people working on D3 have yet to play a Barb or any class really

Bash - (rune) Reduced bonus Fury generation from 3 to 2
Cleave - (rune) Reduced bonus Fury per enemy hit from 2 to 1
Weapon Throw - (rune) Reduced bonus Fury generation from 3 to 2
Animosity - (passive) Reduced increased Fury generation from 20% to 15%
Superstition - (passive) Reduced Fury granted on taking damage from 3 to 2
+ a bunch of dmg nerfs on various abilities

Wizards are still running around with APOC though

I think the problem is a lot of Fury Barbs currently use 1 generator and 5 spenders. Blizz is trying to ease them off that.

My friend plays non-fury Barb builds and steamrolls through Torment 3, he didn't notice any changes to his gameplay last night.

I've been doing mp8-10 act 2 runs but I'm not sure if that's the most optimal. If I can get a level every 14 mins doing that run suggested I would more than love to switch.. Haha

They just announced that the RMAH and gold AH will both close a week early, on 3/18/2014

Back