Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

So you're saying the game is more rotational? That just makes things worse, as the cookie-cutter builds will be even more prevalent, and your rotation will be predefined, just like in WoW now.

How is playing the game again (aka REPLAYING the game) an illusion of replayability? Also, you missed an option. If I chose not to level a new character, it's because I got bored and stopped playing. Hence, the lack of replayability

Actually, no, I do find leveling a class more than once fun. In Diablo 2, I played the Sorceress almost exclusively. I leveled as Chain Lightening/Hydra, Meteorb, CL/BLizzard, etc, etc. Each time I level a Sorceress, the experience is completely different, and each level I can look forward to increasing my power

In Diablo 3, leveling two of the same class plays exactly the same. Plus, leveling either increases your power (giving you the glyph you want), or does nothing for you (oh look, I don't use that ability/want that glyph). You have NO control over how your character progresses. That is not fun for me at all.

you can delete your wizard when you get to 60 and remake him and use your blacksmith to twink out a new one and enjoy being op, thats alteast one more play through.

Got a call from GameStop today, they already have my CE waiting for me! :)

dont forget to listen to the mixed tape i sent you to listen to while you sleep.

just ignore the "mail your CE contents to wildace" subliminal messages.

So you're saying the game is more rotational? That just makes things worse, as the cookie-cutter builds will be even more prevalent, and your rotation will be predefined, just like in WoW now.

Yes, there will be a perfect rotation for every build. But guess what? I take this rune that lowers the cooldown by 3 seconds, my entire rotation is different. I take another rune that nets me more mana/rage/ect instead of damage, my entire rotation is different. I take an extra survival skill because I'm dying too much, I take out an attacking ability and my entire rotation is different. With the millions of possible viable builds, there will tons of rotations, possibly enough to never get all of them down. Again ok players will find what people post online as the cookie cutter builds, but the really good players will understand that there's a lot more flexibility in the system. They'll adapt to the situation and more importantly the people they play with.

How is playing the game again (aka REPLAYING the game) an illusion of replayability? Also, you missed an option. If I chose not to level a new character, it's because I got bored and stopped playing. Hence, the lack of replayability
I'm saying that giving you the choice to level or respec gives you more ways to play the game. You lose nothing with gaining that choice, and you gain nothing from being forced to reroll a second sorc just to try another build.

For me I hated releveling another sorc just to go metorb build. Most of my third, forth, ect builds of each class were rushed anyways, and with how the community was so approving of it, I'm going to say most people rushed their alternate characters. I had complete strangers willing to rush me through hell before 1.10 just because everyone did it. I understand many people like starting from scratch every time, and to each his own. I dont see how a system which allows me to respec and allows you to reroll as you had in D2 is a bad system and lacks replayability

Actually, no, I do find leveling a class more than once fun. In Diablo 2, I played the Sorceress almost exclusively. I leveled as Chain Lightening/Hydra, Meteorb, CL/BLizzard, etc, etc. Each time I level a Sorceress, the experience is completely different, and each level I can look forward to increasing my power

In Diablo 3, leveling two of the same class plays exactly the same. Plus, leveling either increases your power (giving you the glyph you want), or does nothing for you (oh look, I don't use that ability/want that glyph). You have NO control over how your character progresses. That is not fun for me at all.
Yes, because there were so many builds in Diablo2 that you always had a new skill every level as well. Many builds hoarded skill points and you dump them all into certain abilities. There were 3 trees, and until about 18 or so, there was effectively only one build you had per tree. By the time you hit 30, you're really just using your few abilites you've build around, you just get stronger, the way you play it doesnt change.

In D3 By the time you get to lvl 14 there are 12 abilities to choose from for the wizard, enough to pick and choose different abilities if you want to progress differently every time you reroll.

Lets do some math on the wizard
at level 10, you have 4 skill slots of 7 abilites, no extra rune options per skill, 1 slot for 2 active abilites
70 builds you can do at level 10. This is still act 1 normal, you can choose any build and still progress, so they're all viable.

at level 20, you have all 6 skills unlocked and 16 active abilites, and 5 passives for 2 slots
(16 choose 6)(5 choose 2)
80,000 build options at lvl 20, not including rune options, because its a bit more complex to factor in rune choices

at 25 you have all 30 skills unlocked and 8 passives (again not calculating rune options)
(25 choose 6)(8 choose 3)
9,917,600 unruned combinations.

Beyond that you're unlocking 3 or 4 runes almost every level.

You cant say you're pigeon holed one path of build until you hit 60 where everything is magically unlocked for you. There are many choices starting at 10 (what maybe 1 hour of gameplay to reach 10?) Even at level 10, there are already more possibilites of builds than builds you could've done in D2. You could choose to play a la D2 style and never respec, using only abilties you currently have until you unlock the ones you want.

A million combinations, and there will still be only 1-2 majorly used specs. Gotta love possibilities of your new, awesome system.:rolleyes:

A million combinations, and there will still be only 1-2 majorly used specs. Gotta love possibilities of your new, awesome system.:rolleyes:

It's kind of adorable how you try so very hard to convince people they shouldn't like Diablo 3.

Do you guys usually beat the game first on your own then play multiplayer? I worry about missing some of the story if I keep jumping in and out of games.

I don't have much time for >4 hour playing sessions.

I will most likely play through the game the first time completely solo. I want to enjoy exploring at my own pace.

I find when i group everyone else wants to charge ahead as fast as possible. I like to savor each place when I first find it.

Even borderlands which was hella fun MP - I played through solo the first time. I am glad I did.

Using the phrase will implies an assumption, a correct one. Nothing is set in stone until the data forms presentable facts. This post is a hasty generalization, you could be right, but I'm skeptical until we've seen the game play out.

I think there will be an ideal "best" build for pure damage, but I hope the end game will be unforgiving enough that people will favor survivability and convenience skills/runes over pure damage skills/runes well after they clear inferno.

Can you link those 1 or 2 specs for me? Without hard evidence that there are only 1 or 2 useful builds, your claim holds no value. Actually it holds less than no value, it brings down the entire thread of intelligent and civil discussions.

I think there will be an ideal "best" build for pure damage, but I hope the end game will be unforgiving enough that people will favor survivability and convenience skills/runes over pure damage skills/runes well after they clear inferno.

I agree. I have a hard time seeing a pure dps spec being viable in later difficulties. At least solo.

Here's my big value-add to the thread:

HOLY SHITBALLS I WANT TO PLAY THIS RIGHT NOWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

What's really hilarious about this statement is in the character build threads I've been reading else where I've literally not seen the same monk build twice. I'm sure there will be optimal builds based on available gear once we really start getting into it but coming from someone that ran a mace necro in D2 and literally couldn't progress past act 2 in nightmare I'm so extremely pumped to see what crazy stuff I can do it's not even funny. I'm so glad I can switch skills around because I want to play all the ways, all of them.

What's really hilarious about this statement is in the character build threads I've been reading else where I've literally not seen the same monk build twice. I'm sure there will be optimal builds based on available gear once we really start getting into it but coming from someone that ran a mace necro in D2 and literally couldn't progress past act 2 in nightmare I'm so extremely pumped to see what crazy stuff I can do it's not even funny. I'm so glad I can switch skills around because I want to play all the ways, all of them.

I plan on pushing buttons and clicking my mouse. Hopefully fire and ice and sh*t will appear. That's how I play Diablo.

I plan on pushing buttons and clicking my mouse. Hopefully fire and ice and sh*t will appear. That's how I play Diablo.

Hey, didn't you know you hardly have to click? If you left click and hold it down, it just keeps attacking. Super lazy auto attack mode.

First post here. Can not wait to play this! Finally got three of my best friends in on this, which makes it even more brilliant. I have never played Diablo and never thought I would. But from what I have seen so far, it just looks too good to pass up.

So yes, this weekend is going to drag out (which should be nice for a difference). All the time in the world to sit and wait. Come Monday and Tuesday, I will be busy as hell working with no time for gaming... major bummer, as someone mentioned indirectly, it´s going to affect job performance. Too bad I have a job, where this is not an option to even consider (or I might indirectly kill a patient).

So do Blizzard plan a week day launch to mess with us (or to have the required staff at hand for the server rush, and at cheaper rates hehe)... anyway, it's kind of evil and very fittingly so.

Not entirely sure what character to play. Wizard and Witch Doctor is taken and I am flexible. Think I will go Monk though I was trying to get away from melee. Seven Sided Strike mmmmm

Any disadvantage to having two in a party playing the same class, but different outfits? Does Diablo usually favor character diversity?

Sorry, long rant. Cliffs:

Hi: Never played before
Weekday launch = evil
Playing: Monk

Last edited:
So do Blizzard plan a week day launch to mess with us (or to have the required staff at hand for the server rush, and at cheaper rates hehe)... anyway, it's kind of evil and very fittingly so.

Not entirely sure what character to play. Wizard and Witch Doctor is taken and I am flexible. Think I will go Monk though I was trying to get away from melee. Seven Sided Attack mmmmm

Any disadvantage to having two in a party playing the same class, but different outfits? Does Diablo usually favor character diversity?

As far as I can tell, most games launch on Tuesdays which is still a mystery to me. There's probably some reason out there...

I don't think there's any disadvantage to having multiple people play the same class. I don't think any classes have strict roles. The only issue might be splitting class specific loot, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

As far as I can tell, most games launch on Tuesdays which is still a mystery to me. There's probably some reason out there...

I don't think there's any disadvantage to having multiple people play the same class. I don't think any classes have strict roles. The only issue might be splitting class specific loot, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Cool, maybe we will have two wizards then.

I was under the impression that loot is instanced and other players won't be able to see it? But even so I guess, sharing is possible ;)

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Is loot really instanced? Loot wars were the best part of D2!

I hate loot wars lol :D

Team mate in Borderlands running off to get loot from other monster while you die with primary monster... hehe

Instancing is very welcome here, you don't know my team mates, greedy bastards lol

I was under the impression that loot is instanced and other players won't be able to see it? But even so I guess, sharing is possible ;)

Yes it's instanced, but I'm just assuming since you're all friends that you'd share some nice loot that you come across if you don't need it. :p

I hate loot wars lol :D

Team mate in Borderlands running off to get loot from other monster while you die with primary monster... hehe

Instancing is very welcome here, you don't know my team mates, greedy bastards lol

QFT, particularly as it makes playing with strangers much better.

QFT, particularly as it makes playing with strangers much better.

I refuse to play with pubs.. it was really annoying in the beta they just run through the damn thing as fast as possible. Me personally I like to take my time, explore and enjoy... This isn't d2

The magical mysterious business decision known as Street Date, the entire entertainment industry is on board with it (music, movies, books, video games)

Why Tuesdays? Most likely to boost sales during the week in order for proper measurements and ease of product distribution/sale instead of stuffing huge sales events on Fridays like re-re-re-releasing Star Wars on [insert media medium] and skewing figures.

Basically bigwig business decisions to torment gamers. :cool:

This goes beyond entertainment. It mostly stems from the cycle of receiving, inventory, and stocking. Most products come in over the weekend. Depending on volume, it's all inventoried over the weekend through Monday, then put on shelves after close of business Monday.

If you've ever walked in a Walmart late Monday night through early Tuesday morning, you'll see boxes of products up and down grocery isles. Tuesday's are the best days to pick up fresh groceries.

Tuesday is earlier than Friday, so I'm not complaining. Then again, the previous Friday is earlier than the next Tuesday. Gotta choose some date.

OK had to stop watching after they started getting "high" off the new box smell. :confused:

Have you ever smelled new merchandise? Sometimes it is like sniffing markers. Plastic wrap keeps all of those chemicals vacuum sealed for a wild ride when someone opens it up. I find those smells quite nasty & assaulting on my equilibrium.

Have you ever smelled new merchandise? Sometimes it is like sniffing markers. Plastic wrap keeps all of those chemicals vacuum sealed for a wild ride when someone opens it up. I find those smells quite nasty & assaulting on my equilibrium.

Rofl. Equilibrium. Video was weird. Also stupid.

Back