• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I'm feeling like a tard for asking this... but I don't want to screw up Diablo 3 when it's finally released.

So I've pre-loaded and all that jazz, sad part is I will be out of town Mon/Tues for the release, I've prelodaed on my laptop as well. I want to get a bit of gaming on my laptop in D3 while I'm out of town, but I don't know how restrictive Blizzard has gotten with their DRM.

If I install it on my laptop first, will it give me hell 1 day later when I come home and install it on my primary gaming machine? Note: I rarely game at all on my laptop, I just don't want to "tie" my copy of Diablo3 to a machine which I never really use outside of travel.

Thanks in advance!

Blizzard's DRM is about as restrictive as your [H]ard|Forum account. You can access it from any machine as long as it has internet access and the game client installed.
 
Well this is super disappointing. :mad:

Q: The games out in a few days. Realllllly need to know if we can use darkd3 without getting banned.
A: using programs that alter graphics is against TOS and can get you banned.

Source: twitter.
 
Well this is super disappointing. :mad:

Q: The games out in a few days. Realllllly need to know if we can use darkd3 without getting banned.
A: using programs that alter graphics is against TOS and can get you banned.

Source: twitter.

Disappointing, but not surprising.
 
Well this is super disappointing. :mad:

Q: The games out in a few days. Realllllly need to know if we can use darkd3 without getting banned.
A: using programs that alter graphics is against TOS and can get you banned.

Source: twitter.

That is fucking bs. Anyone who has used that mod knows the sharpness portion of that mod is a must have. It takes the washed out textures and makes them presentable. God damn ass hats!
 
What a shame, to put it mildly! I was planning to use this critical mod, since the art director in charge of texture style apparently has been in dire need of an optometrist all along. If I was the texture artist (and I did do this for a living 6 years ago) I would "puke all over the office" in revolt over this mindless decision, the decimating of the work and all the great detail the artists had spend so much energy, care and attention to develop.

I guess Blizzard is sending one message only: We will tolerate absolutely no changes to the game from the end user, no matter how insignificant or irrelevant they are for gaining an edge over your opponents, now GFYS we are not interested in a dialogue here.
 
This is an online game. You'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't ban you for altering graphic files. If Blizzard allowed it then it's a pretty big security risk.
 
This is an online game. You'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't ban you for altering graphic files. If Blizzard allowed it then it's a pretty big security risk.

Post processing can be done without altering game files. It's real time rendering being done by the hardware post texture read and no writes, but to "the monitor". No texture files are being altered.

I don't know if the discussed mod does it this way though...haven't looked into this :cool:
 
Anyone defending Blizzard on this one your retarded. No room for debate. Does it violate the current TOS? Yes. Should Blizzard make an exception or correct the feature themselves? Yes. The TOS in games is turning into our damn tax code.
 
I agree that it's BS BUT I expect the reason for their stance is they simply can't tell the difference between a program that is performing post-processing vs another program like maphack that is reading in data from the game and then performing a graphics overlay. That's not our problem for sure as I can't believe it would be difficult for them to detect something is only affecting graphics vs reading in data from the game but that's life.

On another note, so few hours make life HARD!
 
Since no game files are altered they won't be able to know if we are using post-processing effects. Unless they use an intrusive Punkbuster like software, we are safe. How does dark3d work? Does it just use NVIDIA game profiles? If so, even Punkbuster like software wouldn't detect anything. Putting a forced AA / AF via an NVIDIA control panel has never gotten anyone banned.

However, it's not surprising that this was the answer.
 
Got mail that seemed like Blizzard, that told me to redownload client from certain link, as it does not contain some critical updates. After mouseovering over it, it looks like something fishy, and not battle.net.

Mailed Blizz about it, and it seems that they really DID send mails to some people, and some clients didn't have all the essential files.

To be sure, I'm redownloading client from the battle.net. I'd advise everyone to do the same too, just to avoid the "it's release hour... oh hell, client buggy" situation.
 
This is not surprising. By the book they will not accept any modifications even if they are harmless. Will you be flagged and banned for using it? Who knows, but its probably not worth finding out. For an interesting read on why they put a blanket statement on things like this check out some of the stuff that is possible to do without ever editing any files: http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/02/extravagant-cheating-via-direct-x/

I personally like the way the game looks so its not really a big deal to me.
 
Got mail that seemed like Blizzard, that told me to redownload client from certain link, as it does not contain some critical updates. After mouseovering over it, it looks like something fishy, and not battle.net.

Mailed Blizz about it, and it seems that they really DID send mails to some people, and some clients didn't have all the essential files.

To be sure, I'm redownloading client from the battle.net. I'd advise everyone to do the same too, just to avoid the "it's release hour... oh hell, client buggy" situation.

EU en and de clients need a new downloader due to a few files that are missing. check here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4410912/
 
Yeah.... but I always treat the mails like "Download the new client from our link" as phishing. And first call the company that supposedly sent me the mail, then I get the client from their official web.
 
Yeah.... but I always treat the mails like "Download the new client from our link" as phishing. And first call the company that supposedly sent me the mail, then I get the client from their official web.

Oh yea, I don't click on that shit either. :)
 
im glad i never ended up selling my extra 955BE, i bought my sister an AM3+ MB and powersupply today so im going to drop that 955BE in it, and 8GB of ddr3 i have laying around.

im going to see how the game plays on the integrated 4250 when im over there. if its un bearable i can always split up my 6870 crossfire and give her one.
 
Got mail that seemed like Blizzard, that told me to redownload client from certain link, as it does not contain some critical updates. After mouseovering over it, it looks like something fishy, and not battle.net.

Mailed Blizz about it, and it seems that they really DID send mails to some people, and some clients didn't have all the essential files.

To be sure, I'm redownloading client from the battle.net. I'd advise everyone to do the same too, just to avoid the "it's release hour... oh hell, client buggy" situation.

When did you download it originally? I am debating going home and trying to download again
 
This is not surprising. By the book they will not accept any modifications even if they are harmless. Will you be flagged and banned for using it? Who knows, but its probably not worth finding out. For an interesting read on why they put a blanket statement on things like this check out some of the stuff that is possible to do without ever editing any files: http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/02/extravagant-cheating-via-direct-x/

I personally like the way the game looks so its not really a big deal to me.

In WoW they have the "Warden" API which allows them to see what's running (and how) on a client's machine. Wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with D3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_(software)
 
When did you download it originally? I am debating going home and trying to download again

I got it from battle.net. If you have English-EU or German version, that you got before 12th May, you need to redownload. Other versions should not be affected.
 
In WoW they have the "Warden" API which allows them to see what's running (and how) on a client's machine. Wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with D3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_(software)

Warden is in Diablo 2 as well, it'll definately be in Diablo 3. One thing that annoys me though is they are following the Diablo 2 "no mods online, ever" model, instead of the limited modification model that WoW has. This is one case where I would like to see Diablo actually be like WoW, where the ability to modify the UI is atleast an option. It kind of got ridiculous with WoW with how many mods were out and people's tendancy to load like 5000 different addons, but overall I think it ended up being better for the game.
 
Warden is in Diablo 2 as well, it'll definately be in Diablo 3. One thing that annoys me though is they are following the Diablo 2 "no mods online, ever" model, instead of the limited modification model that WoW has. This is one case where I would like to see Diablo actually be like WoW, where the ability to modify the UI is atleast an option. It kind of got ridiculous with WoW with how many mods were out and people's tendancy to load like 5000 different addons, but overall I think it ended up being better for the game.

One of the biggest reasons why they decided not to allow custom UIs is that they didn't want that to negatively influence the intended difficulty of the game. Unlike WoW, D3 probably isn't going to be getting extensive updates unless its an expansion or something. Some UI mods can make things easier than intended. Also, if WoW's history is any indication, future changes to the core game mechanics would have to be made in order to compensate for UIs making things easier. It gets to the point where you "must have" a certain add-on or you're just a scrub.

I'd be ok with some trivial mods though (like moving buttons around, showing damage meters and other purely informational tools), but stuff that warns you of incoming danger or even when your CDs are ready can start to make things easier for the player. It's hard to draw the line though.
 
One of the biggest reasons why they decided not to allow custom UIs is that they didn't want that to negatively influence the intended difficulty of the game. Unlike WoW, D3 probably isn't going to be getting extensive updates unless its an expansion or something. Some UI mods can make things easier than intended. Also, if WoW's history is any indication, future changes to the core game mechanics would have to be made in order to compensate for UIs making things easier. It gets to the point where you "must have" a certain add-on or you're just a scrub.

I'd be ok with some trivial mods though (like moving buttons around, showing damage meters and other purely informational tools), but stuff that warns you of incoming danger or even when your CDs are ready can start to make things easier for the player. It's hard to draw the line though.

Oh god, scratch my original post, I don't ever want any mods for Diablo 3.
 
accept the graphics instead of whining, not worth getting banned.
People with imperfect eyesight (hell, people with eyes in general) don't need the extra haze making their play more difficult or less satisfying. And they're not whiners.
 
Hey, nothing wrong with looking at the numbers. :D

I once got into an argument with an ex guildie due to the fact that some of us mages were not putting out enough damage for the boss encounter according to his damage meter. The irony of his whining was that we did down the boss but did come close to the enrage timer. Even while we were rolling on the loot he is still ranting on vent about the damage and that we needed "learn our characters". I told him to kiss my ass in vent and logged off. Next day i'm booted from guild. So yes no mods thanks :)
 
I once got into an argument with an ex guildie due to the fact that some of us mages were not putting out enough damage for the boss encounter according to his damage meter. The irony of his whining was that we did down the boss but did come close to the enrage timer. Even while we were rolling on the loot he is still ranting on vent about the damage and that we needed "learn our characters". I told him to kiss my ass in vent and logged off. Next day i'm booted from guild. So yes no mods thanks :)

Well I can understand it from both sides of the fence. It IS a good indicator of individual performance, and I never had any probs with DPS, usually was at or near the top, but the point is meters became the primary focus, and ended up somewhat ruining the enjoyment of the actual game. Hell go into a Dragon Soul pug right now and you'll see people ignoring the "kill this slime" mechanic on Yor'sahj and just sitting on the boss to pad the meters. The DPS obsession is really annoying.
 
I once got into an argument with an ex guildie due to the fact that some of us mages were not putting out enough damage for the boss encounter according to his damage meter. The irony of his whining was that we did down the boss but did come close to the enrage timer. Even while we were rolling on the loot he is still ranting on vent about the damage and that we needed "learn our characters". I told him to kiss my ass in vent and logged off. Next day i'm booted from guild. So yes no mods thanks :)

The abridged version of WOW right there.
 
yeah thought mods were a good idea, but became insane towards the end of me playing wow. When they are required by guilds is when it gets out of hand. Also screw damage meters, there's times as a shaman I could put out more damage but was putting out totems over and over again so that we could all do more dmg. They never told the whole story and made wow a terrible game. If it was combined with the amount of dmg each individual buff I put out that would be great, but otherwise no way.
 
yeah thought mods were a good idea, but became insane towards the end of me playing wow. When they are required by guilds is when it gets out of hand. Also screw damage meters, there's times as a shaman I could put out more damage but was putting out totems over and over again so that we could all do more dmg. They never told the whole story and made wow a terrible game. If it was combined with the amount of dmg each individual buff I put out that would be great, but otherwise no way.

Blizzard did away with "buff" classes a long time ago. Damage meters are a good way to point out those who are not trying as hard as they could be. I agree that they have no place in Diablo 3 though.
 
People with imperfect eyesight (hell, people with eyes in general) don't need the extra haze making their play more difficult or less satisfying. And they're not whiners.


whiner.jpg
 
I hope copies will be available at the nearest stores(target, walmart, etc). Seems like more people ordered digitally or ordered online. Just want to drive somewhere nearby in the morning and pick it up!
 
Back
Top