Diablo 3 Beta

Does anyone else get terrible lag in the D3 beta? I will ping 30ms in WoW and then go on to D3 and hit 400ms with 4 people and it is damn near unplayable.
Some have found that 'un-checking' the P2P in the game downloader-updater to be of some help. I've personally tried it, and it seemed to help a bit. Otherwise, the game - as you can see - isn't totally optimized quite yet, but I'm sure that will change come release. Also note: In order to change the P2P options, I believe you must uninstall/reinstall the game and then uncheck the P2P option. However, there may be an easier way of doing it... I'd look around before making that decision.

I did TONS of PVP on USWest in the leagues over at dii.net if any of you frequented the site was considered pretty good at the time xD. Good days. I played Necro with the same name as my forum name if any of you are old school PvPers from USWest.

I may not have agreed with many of Blizz's decisions but I'll support D3 just because it's D3 and my GF is interested in playing it.

Have they removed the stupid 4 player limit? Or is it really going to be a 4P limit in production?
They have not removed the 4 player limit, nor do they plan on doing so. If you've had a chance to play the game, you'll quickly understand their reasoning behind that particular implementation. If you'd like to hear my take on it, then go ahead and respond with this post and I'll try to explain why they did it in a bit more detail.

Does anyone else get terrible lag in the D3 beta? I will ping 30ms in WoW and then go on to D3 and hit 400ms with 4 people and it is damn near unplayable.

I played for an hour last night. My ping never got above 80. But they are messing with the server a bit it seems. Whatever database issues they had at the launch of patch 15 still soon to have not been fully fixed. The servers have gone down a few times and I myself have gotten that high previously, just not last night.

They have not removed the 4 player limit, nor do they plan on doing so. If you've had a chance to play the game, you'll quickly understand their reasoning behind that particular implementation. If you'd like to hear my take on it, then go ahead and respond with this post and I'll try to explain why they did it in a bit more detail.

I'm curious to hear what your take on it is, as it sounds like one of their decisions made because they're going to put this on consoles.

Blizzard has already stated that there will be no dueling/PVP outside of arenas.

What? Man, that's just lame. AT LEAST allow duels :(

The list of reasons to pass on this just gets longer and longer.

Some have found that 'un-checking' the P2P in the game downloader-updater to be of some help. I've personally tried it, and it seemed to help a bit. Otherwise, the game - as you can see - isn't totally optimized quite yet, but I'm sure that will change come release. Also note: In order to change the P2P options, I believe you must uninstall/reinstall the game and then uncheck the P2P option. However, there may be an easier way of doing it... I'd look around before making that decision.

Please enlighten me :)

I'm curious to hear what your take on it is, as it sounds like one of their decisions made because they're going to put this on consoles.

What? Man, that's just lame. AT LEAST allow duels :(

The list of reasons to pass on this just gets longer and longer.
Well, Blizzard stated they that did it for the following reason: They believe that an 8 player system in a Hack-and-Slash game is redundant - plain and simple. They're of the opinion that in the Diablo realm (namely Diablo 2), many people are 'unproductive' to the parties overall whole, with many of the players simply leeching, or just standing around not really contributing much at all. Another strong point they made was that, in this updated game there will be a much heavier amount of spells/effects occurring at the same time. If there were an abundance of people, these spells would start to be overwhelming, and it would be difficult to maintain perspective on your character. These sorts of things will mainly be happening at a higher level, of which no one has any experience with.

I was initially upset hearing all of this news, but when I thought about it a bit more, I started to agree completely. Having played the Beta extensively, I can say that even with 4 players casting spells and abilities at the same time, the game can seem a little wild. With Diablo 2 this wasn't a big deal, simply because the spell animations don't have the sort of depth that they have in Diablo 3.

I also agree that an 8 player system is redundant for a Hack-and-Slash like Diablo. I've played every Diablo since it first came out, and I can say for a fact that most 8 player pick up parties were useless, even in the higher difficulties. Apparently, what Blizzard is trying to do in Diablo 3 is make a game that requires much more attention and precision in the harder difficulties, and that can be better achieved with less people. Although, as a downfall to that... I have more than just 3 good friends that will be playing this game, so it will be difficult to shuffle around play between all of them, but I feel like the cooperative play will be much more engaging in this sequel.

EDIT: I can see where people might think that this decision was because of the fact that Diablo will be put on consoles, and that might be true. However, from a bit of experience in the game, I'm much more understanding of the choices they've made.

Last edited:
After playing the Witch Doctor for the first time I am torn between WD or Demon Hunter.....

Fetish Army looks awesome!

After playing the Witch Doctor for the first time I am torn between WD or Demon Hunter.....

Fetish Army looks awesome!

I haven't played the beta but I just got a bad flashback to Diablo II in Durance 3 looking for the Mephisto entrance and being bumrushed by a hundred fetishes, killing me instantly :eek:

Thanks Harddriver, that does make sense. I would MUCH prefer a system which requires timing and precision vs spamming moves, so lets hope they pull it off!

Makes sense but I at LEAST hoped they would have 5 people so that you can have 1 of every class. :(

Thanks Harddriver, that does make sense. I would MUCH prefer a system which requires timing and precision vs spamming moves, so lets hope they pull it off!
Let's hope! If they don't, well then that would be quite a shame, but Blizzard normally hits the mark, so I'm fairly confident.

Makes sense but I at LEAST hoped they would have 5 people so that you can have 1 of every class. :(
That's probably my only beef, which is a bit minor, but it's something!

I don't have the beta. I'm just reading the forums when I can. Something I loved about D2 was the synergies between different classes and aura stacking: For example:
Paladin 1 = Concentration aura
Paladin 2 = Fanaticism aura
+Might Aura from act 2 hireling
Necromancer = Amplify Damage curse
Barbarian = Shouts

OR

Paladin 1 = Conviction aura
Paladin 2 = Holy Freeze aura
Necromancer = Lower Resist Curse
Sorceress = Orgasm

Obviously paladins aren't in Diablo 3, but, is there anything similar in terms of stacking buffs/debuffs between the different classes?

I don't have the beta. I'm just reading the forums when I can. Something I loved about D2 was the synergies between different classes and aura stacking: For example:
Barbarian = Shouts

OR

Sorceress = Orgasm

Obviously paladins aren't in Diablo 3, but, is there anything similar in terms of stacking buffs/debuffs between the different classes?
I'm pretty sure the Monk has a couple different auras that can be stacked if there are 2 Monks in a party. And I think the Barb has a couple shout debuffs as well.

Barbarian = Shouts

OR

Sorceress = Orgasm

In some cases, yes, there are very particular skills that directly help your friends in battle. For example, the Wizard's Slow Time skill has a rune that increases everyone's attack speed by 10%.

However (and Blizzard has stated this) most buff/debuffs will be found in your Hirelings: Templar - Enchantress - Scoundrel. Also, for those who don't know - at least this is the case in the beta - you don't have access to your Hireling when you're in a party, so only in single player mode will you be able to fight alongside your Hireling. I'd rather play with real people anyway....

EDIT: Superhuman was speaking of the Mantra skills of a Monk. They will be a great addition to the party, and can be found here.

I haven't played the beta but I just got a bad flashback to Diablo II in Durance 3 looking for the Mephisto entrance and being bumrushed by a hundred fetishes, killing me instantly :eek:

haha yeah!

When you summon them , they look just like the ones in D2. Little people with big knives.

Damn I hated those things!

I got the beta last night, installed it and it fails. apparently my video card hates it. I updated drivers (even though they were up to date) and still nothing. Sigh. 9800 GTX thought it was pretty standard mid range card. just a hater card.

It makes me a little sad that there's no Paladin in D3. I loved my Pally in D2. :(

They will release additional classes in the expansions :)

Yeah...still, a shield and sword "knight" type guy just seems like a staple of RPG games that should have been included in the first place.

Yeah...still, a shield and sword "knight" type guy just seems like a staple of RPG games that should have been included in the first place.

I agree 100%. I was wondering this too, There should be a "Knight Class".

.....But at least there is Holy Damage on some of the weapons, so I guess we could Role Play....for what its worth.

I agree 100%. I was wondering this too, There should be a "Knight Class".

.....But at least there is Holy Damage on some of the weapons, so I guess we could Role Play....for what its worth.

Yeah, I suppose. Seems like the only real option would be Barbarian + Holy weapons or whatever. No auras, though, and it seems like the Monk is more of a hand-to-hand rather than armor + sword/shield.

Yea it's a shame they didn't build on D2 to make D3, as they did from D1 to D2. They basically made a new ARPG and put the diablo name on it. Aside from Sorc, paladin was my favorite class :*(

In general I don't really mind the Barbarian in principle since I do just like going crazy with the hacky and the slashy. But the auras kind of added a nice aspect to the Paladin (especially in co-op).

Been playing some more, and honestly so far the Demon Hunter is not that fun. The starting weapon is super weak and it seems difficult to try and use anything but a hand crossbow. Also, I still haven't found any decent hand crossbow drops so I'm stuck endlessly firing at guys to do any real damage.

Also, I turned back on "Elective Mode" but the skill screen still looks the same, even after restarting the game. Bug? I can't get it back to how it used to be originally.

Been playing some more, and honestly so far the Demon Hunter is not that fun. The starting weapon is super weak and it seems difficult to try and use anything but a hand crossbow. Also, I still haven't found any decent hand crossbow drops so I'm stuck endlessly firing at guys to do any real damage.

Also, I turned back on "Elective Mode" but the skill screen still looks the same, even after restarting the game. Bug? I can't get it back to how it used to be originally.

I just checked it and it's lame now, but what you want to do is still doable. The old interface seems to be gone, but I was able to slot a melee attack as either mouse button. Here's what I did. If you want your primary attack to be a melee attack after having placed Demon Hunter skills into each mouse button slot, right click on your SECONDARY attack, and scroll across to find the skill *currently* set into your PRIMARY slot (Hungering Arrow by default, IIRC). Hungering Arrow will move from your primary mouse button to your secondary mouse button, and your primary mouse button will change to your "default" attack (range if you have a bow equipped, melee if you have a sword, etc. equipped). You can now right click your secondary mouse button and change it back to whatever actual skill you want it to be. The same thing works to put your basic attack back onto your secondary button after you have slotted a skill there.

Lame, as I said, but doable. I have to say that I am really disappointed that they have more or less completely brushed aside your *actual* weapon attacks like this.

Yeah, I actually kinda half figured that out on my own. Basically you kinda have to "trick" it to work.

And I agree, as much as I thought the original skill interface was dumbed down from D2, this new one has me wanting the old one again badly.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this. For any Canadian collectors out there, Futureshop will have a Steelbook for Diablo 3 and here's what it will look like:
http://imgon.net/di-EKFK.jpg

They're going to announce how to get one in less than 96 hours

Lost my first hardcore character this weekend, death by power outage. Turns out my whole system was on UPS except the router. Level 11, too young!

After that I found out you can archive dead characters in D3 so you dont have a character selection list full of ghosts like in D2. They go into their own list of the dead along with their accomplishments. Between that, quality-of-life improvements coming from the shared stash and gold, and most importantly the lack of RMAH for hc, hc mode may be the place to be.

Last edited:
Lost my first hardcore character this weekend, death by power outage. Turns out my whole system was on UPS except the router. Level 11, too young!

After that I found out you can archive dead characters in D3 so you dont have a character selection list full of ghosts like in D2. They go into their own list of the dead along with their accomplishments. Between that, quality-of-life improvements coming from the shared stash and gold, and most importantly the lack of RMAH for hc, hc mode may be the place to be.

They'll need to find a way for disconnects not to murder people's toons then...

Worst reply ever. Not sure how anyone would be okay with losing their character because of any number of reasons a connection can be dropped.

How can they protect against that without leaving it exploitable? How can they tell the difference between "Oops I got disconnected" and "I better disconnect so I don't die"?

How can they protect against that without leaving it exploitable? How can they tell the difference between "Oops I got disconnected" and "I better disconnect so I don't die"?

I don't know. That's a good question they should figure out, i reckon.

Old game I used to play had a nice little feature to 'slammers' (those who disconnect before certain death on a regular basis), the first couple times were 'forgiven' but after that, if you logged back in and all of the critters you were fighting were dead or despawned (someone else cleared them for you or they degenned), an extremely powerful critter would spawn immediately after you login and would target you with an unblockable attack and always killed you, and then the critter would disappear into the bushes or something. Always good for a laugh

There is a little warning when you create a hc character now that Customer Support will not restore them for any reason. Fair warning, make sure your UPS works ;)

There is a little warning when you create a hc character now that Customer Support will not restore them for any reason. Fair warning, make sure your UPS works ;)

lol "even if our servers fail, y'all be shit outa luck"

That's some confidence-inspiring stuff right thar.

Power outages, ISP disconnections, blue screens...pretty much anything will hose a character. The real solution is to stick with a group in hc, so they can save you and clear the immediate area if you dc. I was solo when I lost that character.

Back