Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

You run the game without AA? I tried that and couldn't take the jaggies.

Had to make the trade off somewhere.

What did you go for?

I might try textures from ultra down to high and MSAA up to 2 and see what that does.

Last edited:
Had to make the trade off somewhere.

What did you go for?

I might try textures from ultra down to high and MSAA up to 2 and see what that does.
I went with the smear- I mean TXAA. I try to lean back away from the keyboard so I don't get too annoyed by the blurred textures. The implementation of MSAA in this game is killing the frames, and even Gsync isn't making it bearable.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I went with the smear- I mean TXAA. I try to lean back away from the keyboard so I don't get too annoyed by the blurred textures. The implementation of MSAA in this game is killing the frames, and even Gsync isn't making it bearable.
You can try applying the sharpening filter that was so publicized with Fallout 4. I agree that the jaggies are really bad in this game, and I'd rather live with some blurriness. Or can inject SMAA instead.

like this

If Jim's source A. exists and B. is legit it certainly explains a few things, especially combined with his previous vids on SE. It's a miracle the Western studios ever put out good games if all of this stuff about SE is true and sadly I have no trouble believing all of it.

I flipped on TAA last night and so far I'm pretty happy with what I see. I haven't even felt the need to apply outside sharpening or assistance so far.

MSAA is an FPS killer in this game. TAA doesn't bother me. I don't think blur (in general) bothers me because I don't really notice it in games where people claim FXAA ruins things.

like this
you may not notice the blur of TAA/FXAA during regular gameplay but once you apply a sharpening filter (ReShade) and toggle back and forth you will definitely notice the difference...I applied ReShade to Fallout 4, AC: Syndicate and Rise of the Tomb Raider and it was much improved...I now almost always use ReShade with anything but MSAA or SSAA

like this
You can try applying the sharpening filter that was so publicized with Fallout 4. I agree that the jaggies are really bad in this game, and I'd rather live with some blurriness. Or can inject SMAA instead.
Is this it?

TweakGuides.com - Fallout 4 AA & VSync Tweak Guide

The screenshots look good I'm going to have to try it out.

The FOV mod I posted earlier is great also. Now I should actually get around to reporting in with Miller, I've been doing a lot of sightseeing in Prague...

you may not notice the blur of TAA/FXAA during regular gameplay but once you apply a sharpening filter (ReShade) and toggle back and forth you will definitely notice the difference...I applied ReShade to Fallout 4, AC: Syndicate and Rise of the Tomb Raider and it was much improved...I now almost always use ReShade with anything but MSAA or SSAA

What kind of performance hit does it give? Obviously the shots show a VERY clear difference, so I'm definitely interested.

What kind of performance hit does it give? Obviously the shots show a VERY clear difference, so I'm definitely interested.

I don't even remember a performance hit...there might be one but it's still worth trying out...you can always disable it if you don't like it

they changed the ReShade GUI from that Tweakguides article...I liked the old layout better but it still works fine

If Jim's source A. exists and B. is legit it certainly explains a few things, especially combined with his previous vids on SE. It's a miracle the Western studios ever put out good games if all of this stuff about SE is true and sadly I have no trouble believing all of it.

I mean, isn't this basically what we all were thinking happened when we see their preorder bonuses, microtransactions, and breach mode? Of course it was all corporate greed. Sadly it's just the way things are anymore.

1. Acquire popular IP if not already in posession.
2. Create game juuuuuust good enough that everyone who is fan of IP will certainly buy it.
3. Profit.
4. Rinse and repeat.

On a different note, is MD easier to mod or something? I recall mods taking forever to come out for HR and basically requiring he editing. Have the devs made mod ding more accessible this time around?

We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.3 build 524.17_P4. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the week after release.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following fixes are in this patch:
  • Fixed another crash in the Prague 3 subway that was still encountered by users.
  • Fix for the crash in the TF29 elevator.
  • Fixed crash that could occur when loading saves in Golem.
  • Fixed issue where multi-monitor UI was missing.
  • Unmark action is now configurable through the key mapping menu.
While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on older versions, we have made a Beta available on Steam,v1.0_build524.6, v1.0_build524.7, v1.1_build524.10 and v1.2_build524.15 that can be used to switch back to previous versions.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

Is this it?

TweakGuides.com - Fallout 4 AA & VSync Tweak Guide

The screenshots look good I'm going to have to try it out.

The FOV mod I posted earlier is great also. Now I should actually get around to reporting in with Miller, I've been doing a lot of sightseeing in Prague...

I'm going do sharpening + TAA for both Fallout 4 and DX:MD right now.

EDIT: DAMN! You guys weren't kidding! I set the sharpening slider at 2.00... I'm going to be using this toy from now on at least any time I see a TAA option!

Finally:

The microtransactions in this are utterly avoidable and nonessential fluff for people who want to give themselves shortcuts at further personal expense. That's it. That's all it is. I don't like it but honestly, it's not the end of the world. It's silly.

Last edited:
At the very least nobody can claim they aren't supporting the game after its release. There have been 5 patches in 2 weeks. That's pretty good, IMO. Whenever a game has issues, I always lean in the direction of "Fix what you can ASAP" rather than making people wait weeks or month for a large roll-up of fixes.

In case it gets lost in my last post: TAA plus that ReShade Mod tool... I am completely sold now. I applied it both Fallout 4 and this. I'll be doing that from now on in any game that has a TAA option.

Last edited:
At the very least nobody can claim they aren't supporting the game after its release. There have been 5 patches in 2 weeks. That's pretty good, IMO. Whenever a game has issues, I always lean in the direction of "Fix what you can ASAP" rather than making people wait weeks or month for a large roll-up of fixes.

Well it sounds like Nixxes is not the problem here, it's Square-Enix. But at least they are being "allowed" to keep working on the game so yeah, it's good.

I'm still messing around on the PS4 version, but I did notice 1.03 fixed my game breaking bug. The game didn't crash at cut scenes anymore. Glad to see them getting after this stuff as aggressively as they have been. I think I'm probably still going to wait until DX12 and another driver / SLI update from Nvidia before I'm enticed back to PC (want to get my Platinum on PS4 anyway). :p

Reshade and DX:MR don't like each other here at my house. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? The game will not launch when it's in use. How are you guys using it with DX:MR and what do I need to watch out for?

Reshade and DX:MR don't like each other here at my house. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? The game will not launch when it's in use. How are you guys using it with DX:MR and what do I need to watch out for?
Are you following the instructions with using Mediator? I was able to get it working by following along the link I found above with just substituting DXMD.exe wherever they say to use Fallout 4's exe.

In other news I was able to combine the FOV mod from reddit with the ReShade sharpening filter. I'm happy with that. Pretty unhappy that I'm now dipping lower than 60fps in action and I'm noticing it even with Gsync.

Are you following the instructions with using Mediator? I was able to get it working by following along the link I found above with just substituting DXMD.exe wherever they say to use Fallout 4's exe.

Yup, and it just doesn't want to work. Honestly not sure what's wrong or what the difference could be. When I disable it, the game launches and everything is fine. I'm on Win7 64 if that matters here.

Oh, and PS, to skip the wholly pointless launcher too, just right click on the game in your Steam library, choose Properties, then Set Launch Options in the General tab, and type in, “-nolauncher”, and it’ll boot straight to the game.

Would this affect it one way or the other?

I'll wait until I finish the game to watch the Jimquisition piece, I feel like I enjoy games more if I avoid reviews and most information about them. Somehow, avoiding hype and media attention to games makes me enjoy them more but I am very interested in the Jimquisition video. I really enjoyed Prometheus but reading about the story had holes kinda ruined it for me afterwards.

I see people in a negative context saying that they've finished this game in 20 hours, OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T ENJOY IT, YOU RAN THROUGH THE MAIN QUEST. I have 22 hours on it and I just got back to Prague and stumbled across a crime scene which I'm now investigating and getting bro with a human cop. You could give some of these people a high-end sports car, they'd drive it to the grocery store one mile away, come back and tell you that it was "meh" because their Altima is just as good.

I am concerned since I'm seeing a comment here and there regarding how the story was gimped.

djoye You're doing the right thing, enjoy the game, get your money's worth out of it, decide for yourself if it was any good or not.

I spent nearly 30 hrs in Prague before going to Miller for my first Mission. I finished the game with roughly 55 hrs in. I'm in NG+ now and have already found stuff I missed the first time. The greatness of this game is found in the details.

My take: this game is the exact opposite of Invisible War.

Invisible War: mediocre gameplay, engaging story that allowed me to get to know all of the different groups and conspiracy theories.
Mankind Divided: excellent gameplay bar none, but the story left me wanting to know a lot more about the conspiracies involved. It almost felt like the Illuminati were an afterthought, rather than this mysterious group you slowly discovered more and more about. The game asked too many questions, and answered few of them. The saving grace was characters from the original Deus Ex returning - but I still want to know *tiny spoiler* how Lucius ended up frozen in the original Deus Ex, and this game didn't tell me. Feels like part 1 of a 2-part story rather than its own standalone thing. Would have been a lot more disappointed if not *spoiler* for the cutscene in the middle of the credits.

Hoping that the sales figures are good enough for them to make a 3rd one. I want to know more about what happens!

djoye You're doing the right thing, enjoy the game, get your money's worth out of it, decide for yourself if it was any good or not.

I spent nearly 30 hrs in Prague before going to Miller for my first Mission. I finished the game with roughly 55 hrs in. I'm in NG+ now and have already found stuff I missed the first time. The greatness of this game is found in the details.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm playing at max difficulty... I haven't even started the main story yet and I'm just going around Prague doing side missions, points of interest, and just looting and adventuring... 10 hours so far. I haven't even see Miller yet.

You're always going to have people rush and blaze ass through these games and then whine and complain afterwards. That's their problem.

I've just been exploring a lot, too. One of the neat things is that the more you hunt around, the more other things open up. They're rarely related to the main story, but they can send you down the rabbit hole like only huge sprawling (think Bethesda) games usually do.
The only knock on that is that there are clearly some future plot elements tied around certain areas and it seems pretty clear that sometimes it's better to leave the more "developed" areas alone.

like this
I've just been exploring a lot, too. One of the neat things is that the more you hunt around, the more other things open up. They're rarely related to the main story, but they can send you down the rabbit hole like only huge sprawling (think Bethesda) games usually do.
The only knock on that is that there are clearly some future plot elements tied around certain areas and it seems pretty clear that sometimes it's better to leave the more "developed" areas alone.

What I've done is if I see a main mission icon on the map I'll deliberately avoid that area until I'm ready and past that? Open season.

You aren't kidding about rabbit holes!

Yea- I keep having internal struggles about 'do I go down this rabbit hole now, or keep looking around?'...

So far I like what I'm hearing about most of it, some of the comments about the game being short concerned me but if there's lots of exploring and interesting side stuff to do then I'm okay with the main story being shorter. I do have a few questions that I'd appreciate any input on since I trust the opinions here more than those I would find elsewhere.

One of the preview videos talked about how they improved direct combat and a couple of the brief gameplay videos I've seen since release have shown a lot of run and gun type play. Is stealth still as fun and rewarding, does the game force you into direct combat very often?

Is inventory as restrictive as it was in HR or a little more forgiving like the original DE? I couldn't find any complaints but I couldn't really find any discussion on it other than that there's some augments to increase it.

The whole micro transactions thing rubs me the wrong way but from a practical standpoint I'm more concerned about how it impacts gameplay. I've seen some comments that they're not necessary but I'm curious if anyone thinks the game has balance to encourage MTs or if they're basically just cheats that unbalance the game?

So far I like what I'm hearing about most of it, some of the comments about the game being short concerned me but if there's lots of exploring and interesting side stuff to do then I'm okay with the main story being shorter. I do have a few questions that I'd appreciate any input on since I trust the opinions here more than those I would find elsewhere.

The game is huge. You have no worries here.

One of the preview videos talked about how they improved direct combat and a couple of the brief gameplay videos I've seen since release have shown a lot of run and gun type play. Is stealth still as fun and rewarding, does the game force you into direct combat very often?

No. You can be a wraith and do it well as much as you want and it's very fun and rewarding. :)

Is inventory as restrictive as it was in HR or a little more forgiving like the original DE? I couldn't find any complaints but I couldn't really find any discussion on it other than that there's some augments to increase it.

Augs increase it but it's largely like HRs with a few refinements.

The whole micro transactions thing rubs me the wrong way but from a practical standpoint I'm more concerned about how it impacts gameplay. I've seen some comments that they're not necessary but I'm curious if anyone thinks the game has balance to encourage MTs or if they're basically just cheats that unbalance the game?

It's a complete non-issue in terms of how the game itself is affected and it's unobtrusive. If you don't deliberately hit a menu option you will never know it's there and never care about i t.

Money for lame boost cheats that most halfway decent players would never feel the need for anyways.

microtransactions are irrelevant. you can buy praxis kits for upgrades, but you get them by leveling up with xp, you also find a few so there is no "necessity". The game is as short or as long as you make it. if you do meticulous stealth (lots of saves/loads for perfection) it will probably take you 50 hours. if you go and just kill everything and everyone, yea, you can probably complete it in 15 hours. you can stealth everything. there is an achievement for avoiding all alarms/alerts. you can talk the bosses out of fights. inventory has 2 upgrades and it becomes huge at that point. but I have about decided it is unnecessary. for a stealth playthrough there is not really much to buy. There are only two stealth weapons and limited upgrades for them, and you don't even use them much since it is easier to do takedowns. You should never need healing crap, ammo and even the recharge cells. by default you have a bit of energy after it recharges and it is enough for most anything.

I mean, isn't this basically what we all were thinking happened when we see their preorder bonuses, microtransactions, and breach mode? Of course it was all corporate greed. Sadly it's just the way things are anymore.

1. Acquire popular IP if not already in posession.
2. Create game juuuuuust good enough that everyone who is fan of IP will certainly buy it.
3. Profit.
4. Rinse and repeat.

On a different note, is MD easier to mod or something? I recall mods taking forever to come out for HR and basically requiring he editing. Have the devs made mod ding more accessible this time around?

Unfortunately, many, MANY publishers are missing step 2.

microtransactions are irrelevant. you can buy praxis kits for upgrades, but you get them by leveling up with xp, you also find a few so there is no "necessity". The game is as short or as long as you make it. if you do meticulous stealth (lots of saves/loads for perfection) it will probably take you 50 hours. if you go and just kill everything and everyone, yea, you can probably complete it in 15 hours. you can stealth everything. there is an achievement for avoiding all alarms/alerts. you can talk the bosses out of fights. inventory has 2 upgrades and it becomes huge at that point. but I have about decided it is unnecessary. for a stealth playthrough there is not really much to buy. There are only two stealth weapons and limited upgrades for them, and you don't even use them much since it is easier to do takedowns. You should never need healing crap, ammo and even the recharge cells. by default you have a bit of energy after it recharges and it is enough for most anything.

That's pretty much my style during the first playthrough. It's all non-lethal/stealth, but I still enjoying finding and packing my inventory (with both upgrades) full of stuff. I'm Adam Jensen, the world's most augmented kleptomaniac.

That's pretty much my style during the first playthrough. It's all non-lethal/stealth, but I still enjoying finding and packing my inventory (with both upgrades) full of stuff. I'm Adam Jensen, the world's most augmented kleptomaniac.

Same here although it's getting awfully hard to hold out with some of the sweet kit I've got: A silenced 10mm that's tricked out and a nifty sniper rifle.

The game is huge. You have no worries here.
Yup. I've played for 30 hours and I'm not even halfway through the main story. Exploring and hacking seem endless. Might be a 60-70 hour game for me.

like this
Yup. I've played for 30 hours and I'm not even halfway through the main story. Exploring and hacking seem endless. Might be a 60-70 hour game for me.

Me, too. That's what I got out of HR or pretty close to it.

I've been playing stealth first, but if things go awry, I'll bust out the artillery to finish the job. I'd say I'm probably non-lethal 80% of the time. I'm on a controller, so I don't really want to get into a firefight if I don't have to :p
You find absolutely tons of ammo for both lethal and non-lethal weapons, so both options are totally valid. In fact, on many missions you can simply avoid combat altogether if you really want. A lot of the time I'll complete a mission and then look around only to find lots of other paths and options I didn't consider earlier.

Back