Destiny - Discussion Thread

Obsidian Mind is a great helm, especially if you are in a group where 2 people have it. Trading nova bombs all the way through the Omnigul strike is good times. I urge anyone that doesn't have it yet to pick it up along with Icebreaker.

I am shy one SC, for the Ice Breaker, but plan on getting that through the loot chest collection on mars, I heard you get a coin there.

Dilemma - I have exactly 17 coins, so I can definitely pick up the Ice-breaker.

But the helm is my only blue piece and it is a 21 light piece. I have an exotic chest and purple gloves and boots. If I purchase the helm, I can switch the chest piece for a purple that I've kept and then have the ceiling of hitting level 31 with that set.

I heard the Ice-breaker is pretty good though. Does it come around very rarely on the weekly Xur sale? And through strikes?

I heard the Ice-breaker is pretty good though. Does it come around very rarely on the weekly Xur sale? And through strikes?

Looking over the history it appears it comes out for sale during expansions or DLC, to ramp up the crowd that doesn't have the time to dedicate the grind. From what I gather I think last time the IB was sold from Xur was maybe October.

Looking over the history it appears it comes out for sale during expansions or DLC, to ramp up the crowd that doesn't have the time to dedicate the grind. From what I gather I think last time the IB was sold from Xur was maybe October.

Wow, I didn't know there was a history of Xur tracker. And October is a long time ago. I guess that helps me seal the deal. Thanks!

Dilemma - I have exactly 17 coins, so I can definitely pick up the Ice-breaker.

But the helm is my only blue piece and it is a 21 light piece. I have an exotic chest and purple gloves and boots. If I purchase the helm, I can switch the chest piece for a purple that I've kept and then have the ceiling of hitting level 31 with that set.

Get the icebreaker. Do yourself a favor. You can run thru EVERY PVE content with just the icebreaker carrying you through. The helmet can wait, seriously. You will regret it if you don't do it now.

I found 1, bought 1 from before, and buying another one when I get home so i don't have to transfer between characters.

Gjallarhorn is really over-hyped and has its uses, but Icebreaker is by far THE ONE exotic that everyone should have. This is the utility weapon that you would be using for arguably 99.9% of the content in this game, its that good.

Get the icebreaker. Do yourself a favor. You can run thru EVERY PVE content with just the icebreaker carrying you through. The helmet can wait, seriously. You will regret it if you don't do it now.

Think I can solo the weekly Nightfall level 30? I tried at level 29 and they just did too much damage to me. Couldn't get past the 20 kill mark.

Think I can solo the weekly Nightfall level 30? I tried at level 29 and they just did too much damage to me. Couldn't get past the 20 kill mark.

At level 29? Probably, the icebreaker is still so damn good with or without burn. You just need to be careful with the arc damage from the snipers and captains. Do you have any arc damage machine guns or anything?

Also with icebreaker since it regenerates ammo, you can swap out after you hit max ammo of 6 and use an arc sniper if you have one and it gives you half the amount of ammo you can possibly have for that arc sniper and when you run out, rinse and repeat (switch to IB and back to said arc sniper).

Also for juggernaut weeklies/dailies/nightfalls it is the single most useful weapon in the game.

I might be able to help out tonight if you're on the PS4. I may just bring my friend along as well (I've done the 3 nightfalls and weeklies for this week but am happy to help).

Last edited:

You can solo all the strikes depending on your class, carefulness and weapon loadout. What console are you on? I can help if you're on the xb1.

At level 29? Probably, the icebreaker is still so damn good with or without burn. You just need to be careful with the arc damage from the snipers and captains. Do you have any arc damage machine guns or anything?

Also with icebreaker since it regenerates ammo, you can swap out after you hit max ammo of 6 and use an arc sniper if you have one and it gives you half the amount of ammo you can possibly have for that arc sniper and when you run out, rinse and repeat (switch to IB and back to said arc sniper).

Also for juggernaut weeklies/dailies/nightfalls it is the single most useful weapon in the game.

I use a legendary sniper right now that's maxed out with arc damage. I tried the nightfall twice at level 29 and decided I should probably wait until 30. I hit 30 last night but haven't tried it yet. But I suppose, with an unlimited ammo sniper, I could probably just duck and hide my way through the entire strike. Cool tip about swapping out for a different sniper and will give half ammo. Almost seems like an exploit!

You can solo all the strikes depending on your class, carefulness and weapon loadout. What console are you on? I can help if you're on the xb1.

I'm on xb1. I'm usually on after the kids sleep, so around 9:30p. What level are you? I'll pm you my GT.

Yup, lets just say if you had a choice between gjallarhorn and ice breaker and you only had enough coins for one, I'd say Icebreaker without even thinking. For Gjallarhorn to be good you either need ruin wings (for lots of heavy drops) or lots of strange coins for heavy ammo synth. Otherwise a regular legendary rocket launcher (hezen's vengeance from VoG, hunger of crota from Crota's end, and the other rocket launchers) can keep up for the most part if you want to use ice breaker without breaking the bank.

I found 1, bought 1 from before, and buying another one when I get home so i don't have to transfer between characters.

Gjallarhorn is really over-hyped and has its uses, but Icebreaker is by far THE ONE exotic that everyone should have. This is the utility weapon that you would be using for arguably 99.9% of the content in this game, its that good.

Ya, Icebreaker is a must buy for everyone. Don't even hesitate, it's game changing and basically gameplay breaking for PvE since you can sit back and snipe everything.

My comment about the helmet was more for those who already have Icebreaker and have the spare coins to spare.

This nightfall has a great cheese spot for all the hard areas so it is definitely soloable at 29. You might want to buy the LDR 5001 from the Vanguard weapons guy if you don't have it. Recharge your ammo with Icebreaker then switch to the LDR to do the dirty work as it is an arc sniper with armor piercing (shoots through walls).

Ya, Icebreaker is a must buy for everyone. Don't even hesitate, it's game changing and basically gameplay breaking for PvE since you can sit back and snipe everything.

My comment about the helmet was more for those who already have Icebreaker and have the spare coins to spare.

This nightfall has a great cheese spot for all the hard areas so it is definitely soloable at 29. You might want to buy the LDR 5001 from the Vanguard weapons guy if you don't have it. Recharge your ammo with Icebreaker then switch to the LDR to do the dirty work as it is an arc sniper with armor piercing (shoots through walls).

Wait, there are weapons that can shoot through walls?!! Learning something everyday lol.

I suppose that can be my next Vanugard purchase, as soon as I've purchased a legendary helm.

My arc sniper right now gets me by pretty nicely on pve. But I wouldn't my mind upgrading.

Sniper rifles with armor piercing penetrate one object, and there isn't really a max thickness so they can snipe through pillars and rocks, rails, windows, etc. It also works in the crucible. Armor piercing on all other weapons only works when hitting enemies and not objects.

Sniper rifles with armor piercing penetrate one object, and there isn't really a max thickness so they can snipe through pillars and rocks, rails, windows, etc. It also works in the crucible. Armor piercing on all other weapons only works when hitting enemies and not objects.

So can I now kill multiple lined up enemies with one sniper shot with armor piercing? I was just complaining last night that I can't do multi kills with one sniper shot.

Yup I know what you mean. Im picking up an obsidian mind tonight alongside another Icebreaker. Im thinking of getting a glasshouse for my titan but i like the helm of saint 14 for Defender titans so I may stick with that but just get it for a grimoire card, haha.

I usually just stock up on heavy ammo synths nowadays with my spare coins.

I played about 80-90 PvP Games and still have not seen the three crucible maps from the dark below expansion. Do I have to complete the expansion quests or are they automatically in the rotation after the expansion is added to my account? Could just be my luck of the rotation but I am sick and tired of Firebase Delphi, now I only play clash, and very little control.

I played about 80-90 PvP Games and still have not seen the three crucible maps from the dark below expansion. Do I have to complete the expansion quests or are they automatically in the rotation after the expansion is added to my account? Could just be my luck of the rotation but I am sick and tired of Firebase Delphi, now I only play clash, and very little control.

Isn't there a DLC specific Control and Skirmish up top once you purchase the expansion?

I do very little Crucible, but that's what I noticed.

Iron Banner is locked to certain maps from the dev notes this week (I believe that's what I read) so if you are running IB, that may be why you are not seeing those maps... check the reddit posts on this and you'll find out a lot more.

FYI - Iron Banner rank 4 sells gloves that are light level 36. After about 6 hours of IB I'm halfway through level 2... from what I've read, the bonuses go up every day, so this weekend might be easier to farm rep... but make sure to buy their shader/emblems as those add bonuses as well as use a mote for the buff, I've earned back at least 3 motes from round ends and only spent 2.

Not sure if I have the time to make rank 4 or 5 but the weapons are pretty strong as well (from what is posted)... these all cost a lot of glimmer though, so be prepared to farm as you go.

Picked up my Icebreaker from Xur today and it is pretty badass stock. I do have a LDR 5001 and when I tried soloing the nightfall with Arc burn, it is heavy hitting, but still need to carry a lot of sniper ammo. If I have time this weekend, I'll try to solo again after leveling up the Icebreaker and see how it does, will be great against wizards for sure.

Good week for me, completed two Exotic PVP quests that past two days in IronBanner... not fun at first but started using a void shotgun (Thorn quest requires void) and I have a 300 void MG (Swarm) got on a few good rolls, nothing great... but just spam out your void damage and hope a teammate kills the sucker that got you... kills and assist are worth way more than you death negative... Once you hit the 500 point mark the quest is done... happy to run around without fear of death! lol

The other one was for Invective (shotgun that regens ammo) need a 25/1 kd ratio over games... so as long as you stay positive it continues to add up. That one was finished first day (about 2 hours of IB) Thorn took about 5 to 6 hours over the two days.

Now I need to get a group for the summoning pits portion, tried to solo it but it will be a major pain even at 30... but now with Icebreaker... may be in reach!

I'm on PS4 (only game on play on this thing, lol)

Last edited:

I might be able to help out tonight if you're on the PS4. I may just bring my friend along as well (I've done the 3 nightfalls and weeklies for this week but am happy to help).

Just noticed you edited your message with an offer to help. So thank you for offering! I'm not on ps4 so elzeus was able to help out me and a buddy last on xb1. Showed us good spots to help solo through
Nightfalls and dailies for a few hours.

Can someone answer a question? I was looking for tips on how to get Vanguard Marks, and a guy a youtube showed how he can go to the Vanguard Quartermaster and under the Quarter Master's interaction page, under Material Exchange he was able to sell his materials like Spinmetal for Vanguard Marks. Every time I go to the Quartermaster I can only buy stuff. Anyone know if there is a prerequisite for being able to sell your materials for Vanguard Marks? Thanks.

Can someone answer a question? I was looking for tips on how to get Vanguard Marks, and a guy a youtube showed how he can go to the Vanguard Quartermaster and under the Quarter Master's interaction page, under Material Exchange he was able to sell his materials like Spinmetal for Vanguard Marks. Every time I go to the Quartermaster I can only buy stuff. Anyone know if there is a prerequisite for being able to sell your materials for Vanguard Marks? Thanks.

They removed that option when they added the option to buy materials for marks unfortunately. Must have been an older video.

They removed that option when they added the option to buy materials for marks unfortunately. Must have been an older video.

What do you mean buy materials for marks? If I buy materials then I can get marks, or do you mean something else? I am looking for ways to get more Vanguard Marks since I capped out with the weekly strikes. Any tips are appreciated.

What do you mean buy materials for marks? If I buy materials then I can get marks, or do you mean something else? I am looking for ways to get more Vanguard Marks since I capped out with the weekly strikes. Any tips are appreciated.

When the game launched, you could buy marks by exchanging materials. They did no have the current option of buying materials by exchanging marks. So as I said, when they added the option to buy materials they removed the option you are looking for. The Youtube video you watched is likely an old video that used a feature of the game that has since been removed.

Once you are capped at 100 for the week you are stuck, there is no way to get more until Tuesday rolls around.

Got the Payback SOS from a PvE enemy last night...was kind of excited, but every talks smack about it online. Is the Up For Anything that much better? should I spend the time and effort upgrading it? its the only legendary i have, along with the icebreaker secondary.

It's tough to compare legendary weapons from engrams as they get random perks. Which perks did your Payback SOS get? I have an Up For Anything with a stability upgrade and I wasn't that impresssed with it in Iron Banner or PVE, but I'm a fan of low ROF higher impact auto rifles. Only the Vanquisher VIII from New Monarchy fits into that category for 331 attack legendaries.

Bonus to Hip Fire Damage, Kills with weapon grant damage bonus for a short time.

Those perks aren't terrible, although a reload perk might have been better than the hip fire one. What about the middle tree? Any stability increases? All of Vanguard auto rifles you can buy are pretty similar, so I wouldn't say it's worth it to buy one over what you have now.

I know the Vanquisher is good if you have 150 crucible marks and New Monarchy rank 3, I'm not sure what the Crucible guy has on offer.

Those perks aren't terrible, although a reload perk might have been better than the hip fire one. What about the middle tree? Any stability increases?

So the perks are as follows: red dot / rangefinder, hip fire bonus, Upgrade Dmage, Field Scout (Max Ammo) / Lightweight (+2 Agility) / Single Point Sling (Move Quicker while Aiming), Crowd Control (bonus damage while using), Upgrade Damage, Upgrade Damage / Upgrade Damage / Upgrade Damage

So the perks are as follows: red dot / rangefinder, hip fire bonus, Upgrade Dmage, Field Scout (Max Ammo) / Lightweight (+2 Agility) / Single Point Sling (Move Quicker while Aiming), Crowd Control (bonus damage while using), Upgrade Damage, Upgrade Damage / Upgrade Damage / Upgrade Damage

Hmmm, the vendor version might actually be better. I would use it anyway until you find/buy something better. Just don't spend any ascendant energy on it by upgrading the last three tiers, unless you end up liking it of course.

Oh my god, hard mode is... hard.

Got to Crota with two different groups on different characters and they all gave up on his boss battle after a healthy number of attempts.

Got my glowhoo, abyss defiant, and fang of Ir yut today. Will work on second raid tomorrow on my titan. Was pretty good up yo crota then it took us a few tries. His enrage timer is stupid. Essentially enrages at about 10% HP

Finally got enough shards to hit 32 last night, so I will give hard mode a go this weekend probably with my Titan. I'm hoping for an arc primary as I have yet to get Fatebringer. Word of Crota would be nice too but I haven't seen if that drops anywhere except on Crota yet.

Finally got enough shards to hit 32 last night, so I will give hard mode a go this weekend probably with my Titan. I'm hoping for an arc primary as I have yet to get Fatebringer. Word of Crota would be nice too but I haven't seen if that drops anywhere except on Crota yet.

I need shards so bad have titan warlock and hunter all stuck at 31. We ran it on hard twice with 2 32's and the rest 31's took a while got oversoul edict pulse rifle my son got Abyss defiant auto rifle got bunch of shards and energies but still need more and already had song of ir yut and that is maxed I'm stuck on my titan unless I get the raid helmet or a new chest plate to replace my exotic was short on coins last week when xur had glasshouse.

Our whole team had gallahorns and icebreaks except me

Last edited:
I would have had enough last week, but I neglected Eris bounties at first so I'm still only level 3.5 with her and can't convert radiant energies to shards yet. I think I want my Hunger of Crota maxed for hard mode anyway though so those radiant energies will go to good use.

I haven't been lucky enough to find a Gjallarhorn yet, fingers crossed Xur sells it tomorrow. :D

You realize the chances of back to back Xur Icebreakers and Gjallarhorns are pretty slim? I am with you, though. I am tired of being excluded just because I haven't been lucky enough to get RNG to play my way. I did get Icebreaker from a ROC strike last week, basically guaranteeing Xur selling them. No so lucky with Gjallarhorn, alas.

I need shards so bad have titan warlock and hunter all stuck at 31. We ran it on hard twice with 2 32's and the rest 31's took a while got oversoul edict pulse rifle my son got Abyss defiant auto rifle got bunch of shards and energies but still need more and already had song of ir yut and that is maxed I'm stuck on my titan unless I get the raid helmet or a new chest plate to replace my exotic was short on coins last week when xur had glasshouse.

Our whole team had gallahorns and icebreaks except me

I have enough energies to convert to shards for my last 32 (warlock). I might do that tonight just so i can havea much easier time in hard mode. Doing hard mode on my titan tonight. Need 2 more primaries and I'll probably never set foot into hard mode again. It has got to be the worst design choice I've seen Bungie do for this game to date.

Word of Crota drops from him. I received fang of ir yut and abyss defiant last night. My team found Oversoul Edict, Word of Crota, Abyss Defiant.

I was the only one who found two weapons only :(.

pro tip: Buy the Saterienne Rapier from the crucible quartermaster. That will be your new fate bringer with firefly and everything in a scout rifle! That's more range!

Word of Crota drops from him. I received fang of ir yut and abyss defiant last night. My team found Oversoul Edict, Word of Crota, Abyss Defiant.

I was the only one who found two weapons only :(.

pro tip: Buy the Saterienne Rapier from the crucible quartermaster. That will be your new fate bringer with firefly and everything in a scout rifle! That's more range!

I got two rapiers on drops one has firefly and hammer forged luck in the chamber. Its very nice.

My current favorite load out is oversoul edict, y-09 longbow synthesis, and song of ir yut. I have those maxed all Arc damage.

Back