Destiny 2

Man, sounds like the forsaken expansion ended up being pretty good, guess ill have to check it out, I need to decided on PC vs PS4 and get it.

After reading everyone's very positive impression of Forsaken, I'm back in Destiny after 2 years...I went ahead and got the Spark of Light (I already beat D2's campaign but I want to start fresh), and man the old feelings are back. I'm just thinking about how I want to go home and play Destiny 2, which is such a nice feeling.

So I got Forsaken but I am so confused at how to level up. I'm still a level 20, I'll admit I never deep dived into Destiny2 but I do enjoy it. I just don't know what to do now, there is so much and I'm confused at how leveling works and what the best way is.

I can't login, keep getting some crap about having to start the game through Battle.net. I am already...

Edit: I guess a lot of people are having this issue and are writing about it on the Bungie forums. Oh well.

Last edited:
Picked up the legendary edition for 99 bucks last week. Even though I read many positive things about the Forsaken expansion I'm still playing quite casually with low expectations. For all their missteps, Bungie does nail the FPS gameplay and shooting mechanics very well.

Picked up the legendary edition for 99 bucks last week. Even though I read many positive things about the Forsaken expansion I'm still playing quite casually with low expectations. For all their missteps, Bungie does nail the FPS gameplay and shooting mechanics very well.

Have you played the campaigns? There was the base game, Curse of Osiris, Warmind and now Forsaken. However there is a character boost that you might have at your character selection screen.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/15/17468506/destiny-2-forsaken-level-boost-spark-of-light

Trying to get this stupid 5 handcannon kills in Gambit for my ace of spades quest sucks lol. After 3 matches I'm now up to 4/5 kills, hopefully by tomorrow I can move onto the easier steps.

I do way better when I don't need to focus on handcannon kills, tracking launchers and snipers deal with other players in Gambit very easily lol

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Have you played the campaigns?
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing, just completed the base campaign and will start osiris soon. Have no interest in using the character boost as I've never played the game before.

Even though I did every side mission the base campaign was a bit short and a kinda mediocre (it did have top notch triple-A production quality though and was still fun to play through). The Division had a more engrossing base campaign and more interesting side missions, though did not add any additional campaign/story content with it's expansions.

I tend to find it's better to take it slow and enjoy the atmosphere with your first character in these online PvE games.

like this
The need to do PvP to complete challenges is infuriating.

It is although I've found a lot of it is luck of the draw. Crucible Quickplay is where I get a lot of mine done. That's the most painless way to do as much of it when the criteria allows.

Gambit is hit and miss for me. This has potential. It's fresh and different. I'm "decent" at best but at least I'm a positive force for any team I'm on.

I don't hate the Crucible, but I don't like when the game forces you to play it (or other MP modes) to accomplish normal quests. I've mostly avoided the other modes since this new season launched, but I suppose I'll have to at least play Gambit mode to get the Ace of Spades. I just unlocked the Dreaming City last night, so I still have some more missions there before I plan to dive into the MP stuff.
I still have yet to see an exotic drop of any sort. One of my friends on the Xbox has managed to get 3 so far, so I know they're out there.

like this
I don't hate the Crucible, but I don't like when the game forces you to play it (or other MP modes) to accomplish normal quests. I've mostly avoided the other modes since this new season launched, but I suppose I'll have to at least play Gambit mode to get the Ace of Spades. I just unlocked the Dreaming City last night, so I still have some more missions there before I plan to dive into the MP stuff.
I still have yet to see an exotic drop of any sort. One of my friends on the Xbox has managed to get 3 so far, so I know they're out there.

I've never gotten some of these "weapon sidequests" done yet whether it was from Osiris (forgot what it's called off top of my head) and we'll see if I'm able to get Cade's handgun or not. I'm not against some grinding and such but some of it is (for me) more trouble than it's worth.

I am having a hell of a time getting equipment above 500. I have a 504 legs, 509 mask, and a 509 submachine gun, but that's it. Keep getting 500 bullshit. Frustrating. Want to do Blood Clever and some Dreaming City but those require higher stats.

like this
I've never gotten some of these "weapon sidequests" done yet whether it was from Osiris (forgot what it's called off top of my head) and we'll see if I'm able to get Cade's handgun or not. I'm not against some grinding and such but some of it is (for me) more trouble than it's worth.

The Osiris quests are actually what got my to try out the Crucible. Some of those drops were only available by playing it. I did all of that nonsense since there wasn't much else to do in D2 during that period. When it was all said and done you got an Exotic ghost (there are plenty of those now) and a bunch of average to good legendary weapons. The only really good ones were the first scout rifle and the Perfect Paradox shotgun. I actually still use the PP. It's full auto and absolutely decimates close quarters bosses, although it doesn't aim very well.

like this
I am having a hell of a time getting equipment above 500. I have a 504 legs, 509 mask, and a 509 submachine gun, but that's it. Keep getting 500 bullshit. Frustrating. Want to do Blood Clever and some Dreaming City but those require higher stats.

The key is anything that drops Powerful Gear. Nothing else is going to let you progress to higher power level weapons and armor so make sure completing those prior to anything else. Luckily, there are a TON.

Completely stolen from reddit:
Let's review just how many powerful drops you're eligible for right now:

Weekly Reset (9 per week per char):

• 1 - Complete 3 Daily Heroic Story Missions
  • 1 - Complete 3 Vanguard Strikes
  • 1 - Complete 1 Nightfall
  • 1 - Complete 1 Nightfall with a score above 100k
  • 1 - Complete 3 Gambit Matches
  • 1 - Complete 5 Crucible matches
  • 1 - Complete Flashpoint
  • 1 - Complete 5,000 XP worth of Clan Bounties
  • 1 - Complete 1 Weekly Spider Wanted "Heroic" Bounty
Daily Reset (14 per week per char):

• 7 - Complete 1 PVP/Gambit/Strike/Adventure (One of these made available every day, stacks up to four if not completed daily, max 7 completions per week)
  • 7 - Daily Prime Engram with Buff
Unsure which of these are absolutely coming back next week (Potentially 4 more per week per char):

• 1 - Complete 1 Ascendant Challenge Bounty for Petra (Dreaming City)
  • 1 - Complete 8 Daily Bounties for Petra (Dreaming City)
  • 1 - Complete 3 Weekly Bounties for Petra (Dreaming City)
  • 1 - Complete Ikora's Weekly Challenge (Either the 0/3 Challanges or 0/20 Bounties, maybe both again?)
  • 1 - Complete a Strike with Full Set of S4 Strike armor on
  • 1 - Win a Gambit match with Full Set of S4 Gambit armor on
  • 1 - Win a Crucible match with Full Set of S4 Crucible armor on
Other Potential Sources:

• 4 - Hawthorne's Clan Engrams (Nightfall/Raid/Crucible/Gambit)
  • ? - Crucible and Gambit Rank ups and Rank Resets
Random Powerful Drops (Potentially unlimited):

• Additional Prime Engrams
  • Exotic World Drops
Still Yet To Come (TDB):

• ? - New Raid Drops

If you do any of them right now, Polaris Lance and Sleeper Simulant are worth the effort.

like this
If you do any of them right now, Polaris Lance and Sleeper Simulant are worth the effort.

I'll try. I just don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. Just like some of these Weekly Bounties in Dreaming City... 550+ power challenges, I can't pull it off by myself. This one thing with the Ascendancy and you go into the Taken world... forget about it. I'll never get stuff like that done, certainly not by myself.

Add me a battlenet. GuiltySpark#11607.

I usually run with one other guy so we usually have a place in our fireteam. We're both east coast and will be on tonight.

like this
ValguardTVE#1762. I'm pretty flexible.

Question about a certain place post Forsaken storyline:

This Rheasilvia lost sector...wow 560 level enemies? I guess they just have things in this game and especially in this city that you can't ever do in a solo situation come hell or high water.

Question about a certain place post Forsaken storyline:

This Rheasilvia lost sector... are these enemies super beasts? All with ??? and immune to any and all damage? I'm 506.

Yeah, you're just not high enough power level. I wasn't able to damage them until I was 510 I think? One of the Ascendant jumping puzzles and chests are in there. I did it solo, just took it slow and picked people off behind cover. Whisper took care of the boss easily enough.

like this
I can't login, keep getting some crap about having to start the game through Battle.net. I am already...

Edit: I guess a lot of people are having this issue and are writing about it on the Bungie forums. Oh well.

Hooly crap I still have this problem after 24 hours. Nobody else?

I can get into the Europe servers maybe 1/5 times, never the Americas servers.

So, are there any additional story missions in the Dreaming City? I did the first one and I can't tell if there's something else I should do next or if that's it for the main story.

So, are there any additional story missions in the Dreaming City? I did the first one and I can't tell if there's something else I should do next or if that's it for the main story.

Not really. Still so much to come, though. This place is filled with secrets and events we don't even know about yet.

Thanks for the spoiler tags. It'll be impossible not to see them but for now, the wifey hasn't wanted to log in.

Sigh.

Finally got my Ace of Spades, man the 5 invader kill thing sucked. Also did the 25 hand cannon headshots through PSN remote play while I was slow at worked, turns out head shot kills with handcannons are fucking hard when you have a 5-10ms display and input lag lol

Last edited:
7 hours later, they're still at it. Holy hell. I was thinking about attempting this raid tomorrow at 531. Nope.

Nope, nope, nope.

like this
14 hours later, still at it. Vault of Glass in D1 too this long but that record has now been broken.

Looks like the raid was just beat. Chests and thousand voices everywhere

I went to bed at ~3AM swapping back and forth between Goth, Datto and Ninjjy. Looked like such a chore at that point with no end in sight. Glad someone got it done!

Got this game about 2 weeks ago. Up to level 46 without boosting. Enjoying the game a lot. Now trying to find a clan and it seems impossible. Everyone I applied said no, need 500+ power and experience in raids and pvp. Anyone know a clan willing to take a newer player that wants to pvp and raid?

Looking for some quick advice on getting Cade's hand cannon. Do Gambit weapons scale? Does the kill via Hand Cannon work only vs. people invading you or can you invade them and get those kills?
Any tips to make this easier?

Somewhat related, what are some good weapons people have found? I still really like the bows, but I dunno if I've found anything else that's a real game changer. The newer heavy auto rifles are kinda novel, but they also often feel weak. I have on decent one that fires a little slower and hits harder, but the other 3 have all of the stopping power of a BB gun.

I have yet to get any exotic drops or hand cannon drops, period.

My biggest complain is farming materials to infuse weapons. Yes, I know I can buy them from Spider but if you don't have shards, then it's just another stupid grind task from the game.

Looking for some quick advice on getting Cade's hand cannon. Do Gambit weapons scale? Does the kill via Hand Cannon work only vs. people invading you or can you invade them and get those kills?

It's a PITA. Any hand cannon... when they invade you. I just have an idea I'm never going to get this done, too, but I'll try. I'm 2/5 so far on this step by sheer luck.

Somewhat related, what are some good weapons people have found? I still really like the bows, but I dunno if I've found anything else that's a real game changer. The newer heavy auto rifles are kinda novel, but they also often feel weak. I have on decent one that fires a little slower and hits harder, but the other 3 have all of the stopping power of a BB gun.

I have a great Combat Bow (No Turning Back) as a primary weapon that I alternate with my Better Devils Hand Cannons.

I still think these are arguably the best hand cannons in the game, at least for me, although I have seen several Legendary hand cannons in Forsaken that I'm sitting on and experimenting with. (Ten Paces, Trust, Thin Line )

It would take something pretty amazing for me to bail on my beloved Better Devils. ;) I have seen Ace of Spades in action, however, and it definitely seems impressive.

Since fusing and upgrading is more of a PITA I've been more picky. I'm still leading with the Combat Bow, the Better Devils (get them from Crucible), and Graviton Lance. I fused those and kept them maxed up with me.

Past that:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...p-to-550-for-the-last-wish-raid/#3ade16217356 (good advice and best "summary" as any I've seen despite obnoxious ads. I really like them a lot despite this)

http://www.gosunoob.com/destiny-2/power-leveling-how-to-level-up-fast/ (note disclaimers about speculation and use common sense)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-destiny-2-power-level-500-600-level-cap-4747

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/destiny-2-power-leveling-guide/2/

https://www.polygon.com/destiny-2-forsaken-guide/2018/9/6/17826284/increase-power-500-600-soft-cap

TL;DR "Powerful Gear" and swapping out to higher numbers indiscriminately is the only way to go up. Achievements...heroic stuff... anything that stands out to you.

I'm essentially following the "get to 600 (even though I never will)" tips for the most part out of these. I'll be pleasantly shocked if I ever get to 550.

Last edited:
The grind is definitely real. I'm also noticing a distinct lack of activity in the Dreaming City area. It's pretty tough to take out a public event with less than 3 people (except the Taken invasion one) and typically I'm only seeing random individuals running around. I find myself mostly doing the "kill 10 enemies" and "collect shards" missions there since I'm not powerful enough to do much else. I have done quite a bit of exploring and that level is absolutely huge. Tons of "empty" space, so I assume a lot of that is tied to missions I haven't unlocked yet.

like this
The grind is definitely real. I'm also noticing a distinct lack of activity in the Dreaming City area. It's pretty tough to take out a public event with less than 3 people (except the Taken invasion one) and typically I'm only seeing random individuals running around. I find myself mostly doing the "kill 10 enemies" and "collect shards" missions there since I'm not powerful enough to do much else. I have done quite a bit of exploring and that level is absolutely huge. Tons of "empty" space, so I assume a lot of that is tied to missions I haven't unlocked yet.

In my previous post I edited to add the name of the hand cannons I've found in Forsaken thus far. I did have a post story/ raid is open story mission open up in Dreaming City that definitely supports the "open space is there for a reason" idea. I can do a few of Petra's daily bounties but ain' no way am I set to do anything past that with her even at 520. Not by myself.

Tangled Shore is where I spent a lot of my time to get to 500 and even for a while past that. What is your overall rating right now?

Spider's bounties rack up along with Heroic public events. I use bounties as "I'm going to do this anyways so it all adds up" wherever I am at.

I use a Fireteam Medallion from Eververse every day, too, before I start playing. It all adds up. Whatever I can get.

In my previous post I edited to add the name of the hand cannons I've found in Forsaken thus far. I did have a post story/ raid is open story mission open up in Dreaming City that definitely supports the "open space is there for a reason" idea. I can do a few of Petra's daily bounties but ain' no way am I set to do anything past that with her even at 520. Not by myself.

Tangled Shore is where I spent a lot of my time to get to 500 and even for a while past that. What is your overall rating right now?

Spider's bounties rack up along with Heroic public events. I use bounties as "I'm going to do this anyways so it all adds up" wherever I am at.

I use a Fireteam Medallion from Eververse every day, too, before I start playing. It all adds up. Whatever I can get.

I'm at 510 I believe. Maybe a hair below. I'm being drug down by a single level 500 power weapon while most everything else is 512-515. "Powerful" weapons definitely seem to be way more available than before. I've completed a couple quests that dropped them and I didn't even realize it. Leveling up doesn't seem that bad, although there's a story mission in the Dreaming City that I'm definitely too weak for. I think ti was a level 530 mission. I suppose I might be able to grind it out with lots of running and hiding every few seconds, but I just don't have the patience for that. I'm also stuck with some pretty lousy high-level weapons.

I'm just terrible at killing invaders period so I don't think i'm ever getting the Ace of Spades. Not to mention pub games of Gambit can be.. an awful experience. I have Midnight Coup (static Outlaw/Rampage) that i've kept with me and infused up and it's a beast so I can't say i'm too worried about it.

The best guns i've found so far in Forsaken have to be the high impact 4-round burst pulse rifles. I have a Go Figure in my kinetic slot and a Right Side of Wrong in my energy slot and those guns just melt in PvE and PvP. My Right Side of Wrong specifically has Outlaw and Headseeker and man.. its like cheating.

As for exotics.. yeah, no Forsaken exotics for me so far. The Ten Paces is the handcannon I keep getting. i don't like it.

My biggest complain is farming materials to infuse weapons. Yes, I know I can buy them from Spider but if you don't have shards, then it's just another stupid grind task from the game.

During the first few days of Forsaken, I thought i was going to have to keep going to planets to farm materials but honestly, if you play the game enough to always be maxed on glimmer and visit Spider every day to see what he's selling, you can always be stocked on mats. That is.. if he's selling what you need for glimmer and not shards... so i guess you're right lol

O yeah, lots of extra "hidden" stuff to do. However, if you're trying to play the game solo and also not look up any of the secrets, i can see how it might feel a little empty. This is probably considered spoilers but if you want a list of interesting things to see/do, go here.

Back