Dell U2412M

I just got a u2412m and I'm running it over hdmi-dvi adapter and I have some veritical flickering lines, they are hard to see but they are definitely there. I didn't see them on my old 24" dell TN panel. Does anyone know whats causing this. The lines seem to be slightly broken up, almost like dotted lines. They are quite faint, either whitish or yellowish running up and down. They are easier to see on the right side then the left.

edit: I tried two different hdmi-dvi cables, same issue.

Last edited:
I have completely re-arranged my computer setup and need to sell two of my U2412M's. What price do you think I could get for them? They are in mint condition.

I have completely re-arranged my computer setup and need to sell two of my U2412M's. What price do you think I could get for them? They are in mint condition.

The refurbs on dells website go for like $280 and there are usually deals for them brand new around 300-310 with free shipping.

Depends on condition and age.

I totally would have bought one, I just bought a new one from dell!

There's half a dozen reps at least, Red isn't even the only Corsair rep... I think 10e might've been talking about reps specifically in the displays sub forum tho. ASUS has a rep floating around in here too (well, elsewhere on the boards, audio/mobo sections).

Yes sirreee I was talking about the "displays" sub-forum. I know about that JJ guy (Jose .....) from Asus in the mobos forum etc....

I got my replacement display today.

I noticed when set to the same settings as the old monitor it's off a bit, especially in terms of the colour grey, it seems a little lighter on the new monitor. Is this something to be concered about, or just that no two displays will calibrate the same?

Two displays can calibrate the same, but not with the same settings sometimes. It may be that one will have slightly higher/lower brightness, slightly different gamma, etc....

I just got a u2412m and I'm running it over hdmi-dvi adapter and I have some veritical flickering lines, they are hard to see but they are definitely there. I didn't see them on my old 24" dell TN panel. Does anyone know whats causing this. The lines seem to be slightly broken up, almost like dotted lines. They are quite faint, either whitish or yellowish running up and down. They are easier to see on the right side then the left.

edit: I tried two different hdmi-dvi cables, same issue.

I tried my Xbox 360 and PS3 on it and I didn't see that. Sounds weird.. Any way to try DVI to DVI?

There is an input color setting in the color settings menu you may want to try and change. It's in the OSD online manual here under "color settings". Values are RGB and YPbPr:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/u2412m/en/ug/operate.htm#Using_the_OSD

Yes sirreee I was talking about the "displays" sub-forum. I know about that JJ guy (Jose .....) from Asus in the mobos forum etc....

Two displays can calibrate the same, but not with the same settings sometimes. It may be that one will have slightly higher/lower brightness, slightly different gamma, etc....

I tried my Xbox 360 and PS3 on it and I didn't see that. Sounds weird.. Any way to try DVI to DVI?

There is an input color setting in the color settings menu you may want to try and change. It's in the OSD online manual here under "color settings". Values are RGB and YPbPr:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/u2412m/en/ug/operate.htm#Using_the_OSD

10e

If you don't mind me asking! can you show me the adapters you bought in order to hook your ps3 up to your u2412m. . . were you able to find a way to get audio while using your monitor for video

10e

If you don't mind me asking! can you show me the adapters you bought in order to hook your ps3 up to your u2412m. . . were you able to find a way to get audio while using your monitor for video

Ditto.

He probably just used an HDMI<>DVI cable or adapter. There's little point trying to get the PS3 working with this monitor properly, due to the lack of a 16:9 aspect ratio or 1:1 pixel mapping mode..

I'd like to use it with my tablet occasionally (well, one of them since I have 2 and three displays total), not sure how well that'd work since the tablet is 16:10 but normally scales/crops a bit over HDMI on an HDTV.

10e

A simple HDMI to DVI adapter worked well, although as has been mentioned due to the lack of 16:9 pixel mapping the picture was vertically stretched.

As for audio there are so many ways to get it out. Optical SPDIF to surround sound (what I did), or the stock cable that has the red, white and yellow out to a pair of female RCA cables going into a "reverse Y" adapter to 3.5mm headphone jack.

Keep in mind this is an original PS3 60GB. Not sure about the slim but it should be similar.

Got this monitor for £79 shipped from Amazon. Is ever U2412M LED backlit?

Anyway, the monitor is great, although I'm noticing some blue hue on the right side, maybe that's why the previous owner sent it back!

I'm still happy with it.

The u2412m is on sale again at Dell for $299. You can also use a 5% off coupon to drop it even more.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4312518-Dell-U2412M-299-FS-Tax

Use the MPP (Member Purchase Program) link above to get the extra 5% off. You don't actually have to be a member to do this, although there are so many ways to be a "member" that almost everyone should qualify. I just used the link and was never asked what group I was a member of. My final total was $284.05 plus sales tax. Free shipping.

Oh that's tempting. Especially since I want a third monitor and have a prepaid Corsair rebate VISA card I've been hoping to use...

Im really tempted to pick this up but have concerns that my 9600gt will not be able to push it properly anyone have any insight on this.

The u2412m is on sale again at Dell for $299. You can also use a 5% off coupon to drop it even more.

Use the MPP (Member Purchase Program) link above to get the extra 5% off. You don't actually have to be a member to do this, although there are so many ways to be a "member" that almost everyone should qualify. I just used the link and was never asked what group I was a member of. My final total was $284.05 plus sales tax. Free shipping.

Also good to note that the u2312hm is also discounted.

I was about to pull the trigger on this, but noticed that Provantage is still cheaper: http://www.provantage.com/dell-469-1137~4DELL1VY.htm ($280.21). [edit: math fail! ignore :) ]

Last edited:
How do you get to a $150 difference?

Oops! Forgot to write in Tax+Recycling fee in CA (~$100), but also did my calculation re shipping wrong (multi-tasking fail). Closer to only $50, so I probably will just go with Dell since only difference is a shipping delay...

I was really ready to go for the Asus Pro Art but this is an amazing deal that I may not be able to miss.

I'm sure it's been asked but this thread is 100 pages, so I might as well re-ask it. How does this monitor treat people trying to push it beyond 60 hz? Does it do anything more than 60hz at lower resolutions and if so, how low before the refresh rate rises?

Dell often sets their shipping date estimates pretty conservatively btw.

I hope so :) But if not, I can wait. Seems silly to risk shitty customer service, etc. over a few days... especially since I am replacing my 2405FPW that I bought when it first came out (for iirc well over $800 even on sale! :eek: ). If I can get anywhere near the 6 years of happy usage I got out of that monitor (especially since it still works!) then I'll be thrilled.

Order placed for three! :D

I'm tempted to order a third myself so all three of my displays match... Been spending too much lately tho! :eek:

Screw it, I just did. Used some CC points that I could only apply to a new purchase so I got another $125 off (been building those points up for a while) on top of the MPP 5% that I already am a member of. Sometimes it is nice having a rewards program :D. I'll be posting a new desk setup once it gets here and I figure out how to neatly route the damn wires. Maybe it's time I think about a triple monitor stand.

I just ordered one as well :)
My 2407WFP wasn't looking so good with some dark spots :(

Let's see how this one turns out, hopefully it will be of the same or better quality. :)

It looks like they got a new supply in. I ordered last Saturday and my original estimated ship date was May 9th but I just got an email saying it had shipped. I had negotiated free next day air, so I'll have it tomorrow.

Yeah, they were estimating a two week lead time before they could ship when I ordered. Turns out it shipped yesterday via 2-day UPS (educational program apparently gets free 2-day shipping now) and will be here Monday.

Looking to buy a monitor for graphics work and film-editing, This was one that I had in mind. I'm on a pretty tight student's budget for it, so what I would ideally want is way unaffordable. I'm looking to get the best I can for a price range be around the £200 mark nothing over £250. Something that can get the job done at the moment.

So far I've been looking at:

IPS:
Dell U2412M
Asus PA238Q

PVA:
BenQ EW2430

I was very temped to get the Dell, there were so much good reviews floating around about it. But recently I found out that the panel produced 6-bit colour depth. I understand it's a cheaper e-IPS type monitor, but sacrificing HDMI, it having a strong AG coating, lower refresh rate than the others I'm looking at, I'm not sure if it's all that worth it. Does even a low end IPS make such a huge difference in image quality? Is it better to get this over the BenQ which has a 8-bit panel?

I've heard that PVA panels give a nicer contrast, and read some good stuff about the BenQ. Maybe I should also look into HDTVs that uses mostly MVA panels? Since this would be also for video editing...

As for the Asus, I really like the specs, but having never owned/heard or seen an Asus I don't really know what to make of it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking to buy a monitor for graphics work and film-editing, This was one that I had in mind. I'm on a pretty tight student's budget for it, so what I would ideally want is way unaffordable. I'm looking to get the best I can for a price range be around the £200 mark nothing over £250. Something that can get the job done at the moment.

So far I've been looking at:

IPS:
Dell U2412M
Asus PA238Q

PVA:
BenQ EW2430

I was very temped to get the Dell, there were so much good reviews floating around about it. But recently I found out that the panel produced 6-bit colour depth. I understand it's a cheaper e-IPS type monitor, but sacrificing HDMI, it having a strong AG coating, lower refresh rate than the others I'm looking at, I'm not sure if it's all that worth it. Does even a low end IPS make such a huge difference in image quality? Is it better to get this over the BenQ which has a 8-bit panel?

I've heard that PVA panels give a nicer contrast, and read some good stuff about the BenQ. Maybe I should also look into HDTVs that uses mostly MVA panels? Since this would be also for video editing...

As for the Asus, I really like the specs, but having never owned/heard or seen an Asus I don't really know what to make of it.

I wish I could tell you how much amazingsings the dell U2412M but the decision is yours... I wish I had the HDMI cause I want a PS3 but dont have a tv just a dope computer... but not worth skipping out on the 2412m

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dell often sets their shipping date estimates pretty conservatively btw.

Quite the understatement! :eek: FedEx guy called me this morning to let me know he would be dropping them off so I made sure to work from home today so I could sign for them :D

photobuq.jpg

Nice! Mine still says it's "in production".

No one answered my refresh rate question but I bought the monitor on Friday anyway because I was given a good deal from Dell. When mine gets here, I'll gain 90% of my desk space back. :D

Last edited:
Received mine today. 0 dead or bright pixels. Colors looked great out of the box but I went with 10e's settings and I like that even better.

I'm coming from an HP w2207 glossy monitor, which I still like very much. I was concerned about the AG, which is something I've never had to work with before (I had CRTs before the HP LCD). Some of the comments in this thread were pretty alarming. However, if I hadn't done the research there's no way I would even know this screen had an AG coating. I see no difference between it and my glossy 22" when it comes to text - which is 90% of what I use it for.

I'm one very happy camper.

I do have a question about the Sharpness setting. The default is 50 but I'm wondering what other people are going with?

Made in China, Rev A03, built March 2012

Last edited:
I do have a question about the Sharpness setting. The default is 50 but I'm wondering what other people are going with?

Left default at 50. I tried bumping it up to 75-100 and all it did was hurt my eyes after about 20 minutes. 50 seems just about right, and seems sharp enough for me :)

I've gotten so much from this forum over the years so I thought here is my chance to give back, so I registered JUST to give this review of my brand new U2412M. I am officially [H]ard.

Here we go...

First, I will address the elephant in the room which is the AG coating. IMO, the AG coating does a decent job of dulling glare from indirect sunlight coming into the room. I do not notice it otherwise, and like others have said, I wouldn't have even known it was there unless someone had told me. It is nothing like the "anti-glare" screens you see on cell phones with those cheap plastic screen covers that completely blur and make the screen appear almost polarized. The screen is certainly matte, like most other monitor finishes on the market. I do see the merit in glossy screens, such as higher end laptop screens where the picture seems to "pop" off the screen... this monitor does not have that affect necessarily although the picture is rock solid and with enough brightness (I have mine turned down) the colors really do blast off the screen.

Now on to my over all impression...

I have multiple new 23" LED 150-200$ monitors in my house. One dell and one LG, both 1920x1080. Both I thought were excellent monitors especially for the money. So, is the U2412M worth it over those? For my money, it definitely is. Loading into my first session of Battlefield 3 on all Ultra settings @ 1920x1200 put a smile on my face for about 10 minutes straight. The monitor is gorgeous and plays the game beautifully even though it is only a 60hz (windows says it detects it @ 70hz, kinda weird). TFTcentral gives this monitor excellent ghosting and GTG response times after testing. Surfing the web and doing any type of day to day activity on this thing has turned chores into fun. The lines on any text or web page are very sharp to the eye (sharpness set to 50 out of 100). Pictures tend to have a more "real life" color scheme to them vs. a regular LCD or LED monitor and the detail, color saturation, and contrast are over all much better than run-of-the-mill monitors.

Having never seen an IPS monitor in person before, this is where it takes a real leap forward in terms of practical purpose vs. a regular ol' TN. Color uniformity across the screen is great IMO. Any angle, any direction, any corner, and the colors look identical. I slouch in my chair sometimes when I am kicking back surfing the web, and I must say that sometimes I'd have to actually sit up or get closer to the monitor before in order to read something that was near the top of the screen or on one of the corners because the colors were starting to wash out into each other and I was losing contrast. I needed to get a more "dead on" look at the screen in order to read sometimes, and especially in darker colored pictures. Not anymore. Eye strain and effort have significantly improved in that regard.

Long story short:

This is the best value in a monitor you're going to get for under the $400 range. I picked mine up from Best Buy for $309+tax with free shipping. The sale is still going on right now. The ONLY OTHER MONITOR I considered was that Yamakasi monitor, but did NOT want to deal with all of the side effects of ordering a no-name brand electrionic. What if something goes wrong? What if there is a dead pixel? It wasn't worth my stress. I knew if I didn't like this monitor I could walk right back into Best Buy and hand them a box with paperwork and cords missing and they wouldn't bat an eye lash. Sure, you can buy that same monitor through "US vendors" and the price goes from ~400-450 to ~$650 thus increasing the gap in price and losing all attractiveness to a buyer like myself.

Also, I felt 24" was the perfect size for me and 1920x1200 is plenty of resolution on my setup. I run a 7970 GPU and to be honest with you, it has a bit of trouble on some maps (mild overclock) keeping up on all ultra settings. It definitely dips below 60fps and you can feel it, although it is always playable. So, in reality, unless you're ready to drop 800-1200$ on a dual high end GPU set up to push 2560x1440 resolution, you're going to be looking at a slideshow on Ultra settings in Battlefield 3. I was not.

I am perfectly happy with this monitor and have not even considered taking it back once. And believe me, every piece of my computer I have thought about taking back at one point or another and this is the only piece of my setup that is staying for sure. if you're on the fence about getting a U2412M and are looking for something a little more "professional" and with more resolution than your typical 160$ LED Acer monitor, then this is the monitor for you.

Settings:

I am running 10e's color settings. The only issue with my monitor was a dominant blue hue on everything out of the box. Other than that, it was perfect. Sharpness 50. Brightness 50.

Hey Guys!

I juust bought this monitor straight from the Local computer store in my city.

Now for the budget allowed, I've heard great things about this monitor. But being an Illustrator I am very picky when it comes to the Value Range (I guess you call it Gamma) and color accuracy. But mostly the Values, I really need to be able to see into the Dark areas with clear distinctions, even with slightest value changes, and same with the Lights.

So as I am running this monitor as a secondary to my laptop, I constantly drag photos/images inbetween them both to check for any flaws/inconsistencies.

Right now I noticed that the monitor I bought cant distinct between the darks in certain areas, so I need to know if it's the U2412 model that is incapable of showing these nuances or if it's this specific monitor that I just bought is flawed. So I have pointed out (red circles) on the image below, where you SHOULD SEE the folds in his upper left shoulder. But on my U2412M, it totally flattens that area, and shows black without any traces of folds in the cloth. Whilst in my laptop, I see them CLEARLY.

U2412M_Test.jpg

Image is not made by me but by the illustrator Tyler Jacobson

So do I need to calibrate my monitor?

Return it?

Or are these nuances that the U2412M doesn't show?

Also, on this website, http://www.momentskept.com/MonitorCalibration.htm , I can barely see the numbers below "4". And cant see the number 0 nor 1. (That is when you click the black bar to get a full screen, in the small version, I can barely see number below 6)

Left default at 50. I tried bumping it up to 75-100 and all it did was hurt my eyes after about 20 minutes. 50 seems just about right, and seems sharp enough for me :)

40 and 50 look almost identical to me, and the only setting(s) I've ever used.

Hey Guys!

I juust bought this monitor straight from the Local computer store in my city.

Now for the budget allowed, I've heard great things about this monitor. But being an Illustrator I am very picky when it comes to the Value Range (I guess you call it Gamma) and color accuracy. But mostly the Values, I really need to be able to see into the Dark areas with clear distinctions, even with slightest value changes, and same with the Lights.

So as I am running this monitor as a secondary to my laptop, I constantly drag photos/images inbetween them both to check for any flaws/inconsistencies.

Right now I noticed that the monitor I bought cant distinct between the darks in certain areas, so I need to know if it's the U2412 model that is incapable of showing these nuances or if it's this specific monitor that I just bought is flawed. So I have pointed out (red circles) on the image below, where you SHOULD SEE the folds in his upper left shoulder. But on my U2412M, it totally flattens that area, and shows black without any traces of folds in the cloth. Whilst in my laptop, I see them CLEARLY.

Image is not made by me but by the illustrator Tyler Jacobson

Return it?

Also, on this website, http://www.momentskept.com/MonitorCalibration.htm , I can barely see the numbers below "4". And cant see the number 0 nor 1. (That is when you click the black bar to get a full screen, in the small version, I can barely see number below 6)

It probably needs calibration to a gamma curve that is true sRGB or L* (L-Star) to bring out those low details. I can barely see any folds on the brown cloth on my calibrated monitor using 2.2 as the gamma curve. The U2412M is a gamma curve of around 2.2.

If the laptop is a TN, you can just raise your point-of-view a bit and everything lightens, while IPS doesn't have that.

Return it?

Yeah I would definetly try calibration especially when working on two screens. They aren't the same and I would think calibration would bring them closer to having a similar image output.

On another note I bought two monoprice vesa mounting arms to place the u2412m and my old 2407wfp. Hopefully they are decent enough to look and work well. Two ergotron arms are too expensive :(

It probably needs calibration to a gamma curve that is true sRGB or L* (L-Star) to bring out those low details. I can barely see any folds on the brown cloth on my calibrated monitor using 2.2 as the gamma curve. The U2412M is a gamma curve of around 2.2.

If the laptop is a TN, you can just raise your point-of-view a bit and everything lightens, while IPS doesn't have that.

Thats true, just raising the point-of-view does change the lightness on my laptop. I am such a noob in this area, but how do I exactly calibrate it to true sRGB or L*?
I used your color/contrast/brightness setting when I got to this thread, thx 10e.

Also, I hear that for photographers and alike (graphic artists), gamma around 1.8 is ideal, is there anyway I can get it close to that? (is that what it means to have it calibrated to true sRGB?)

But do you all U2412M users just barely see the folds? Cause this could mean I might have to change monitor, if the ideally calibrated U2412M can't distuingish that level of black nuances.

i have a u2412m, i dont see the folds. If i move it to my 1907 i dont see them either.

When i move it to my p2211h monitor i see them if turn to the side.

I have mine set to 10e's settings also.

Back