Dell U2412M

Anyone purchase one of these refurbished from dell's outlet store? They seem to usually be about $50 cheaper if you get the refurb from dell. Refurbs don't generally bother me so I I'm looking at that option.

u2412m - In store testing experience
I just had an experience in the store. Sales opened a new one for testing... I was almost buying it.
He tested the colors all are fine without dead and white pixel.. which was good.
then I requested to have a video test, he played a video which is really lag obviously. Sales said it's because that computer only used for color pixel testing. Then he changed it to another computer for a video playback test, which was fine... using DVI.
Then I asked my laptop only have VGA, would it have the lag problem of video playback? He said it's possible to have ghosting and lag.... of cos i didn't buy it until i figure this out... because I plan to get a new computer in a year... not gonna buy a monitor and computer at the time.

Hey guys please help to provide your professional opinion and if you are using u2412m w/ vga... please let me know if it will be fine w/ video and gaming. my laptop is only core2duo 2.4, 4GB ram, intel graphic 3000... Many THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Google some reviews of your laptop and see what they say about video play back.

video playback is fine in the laptop but not sure it will be the same in the u2412m

why do you want gloss if you dont mind me asking? to be honest the sharpness of the screen is comparable to a glossy screen. it just has an anti glare coating instead.
I was quite pleased with choosing the u2412m for my use as a web dev, not for gaming. The reason I ask is all the girly yelping about how bad the screen was on the unit. I was getting the image was somehow diminished with the antiglare coating. I assumed it would be fine, especially if I have very good control over the workplace lighting.

Has anyone tried plugging a keyboard or mouse into the usb ports? Are they not powerful enough to power them? I just tried and my mouse nor my keyboard registered... I wanted to have multiple computers connected to my monitor and not have to switch usb cables... i plugged a voice recorder and it didn't detect... does that mean my USB ports are defective? shiet

why do you want gloss if you dont mind me asking? to be honest the sharpness of the screen is comparable to a glossy screen. it just has an anti glare coating instead.

I have a U2412M sitting right next to the Yamakasi Catleap Q270, and there is NO comparison, the glossy screen is SOOOOO much sharper than the U2412M its not even funny.

Yes, some of it is because of the tighter dotpitch of the Catleap, but much of it is also due to the Dell having AG and the Catleap having none.

BB

I have a U2412M sitting right next to the Yamakasi Catleap Q270, and there is NO comparison, the glossy screen is SOOOOO much sharper than the U2412M its not even funny.

Yes, some of it is because of the tighter dotpitch of the Catleap, but much of it is also due to the Dell having AG and the Catleap having none.

BB

Sorry, but that's not even a fair comparison. I had similar sentiments though, when I went from a glossy 19" (1440x900) to a 23" (1920x1080). I missed the glossy-ness, but the extra resolution made up for it. In your situation the 1440p Glossy monitor has it all... relatively speaking.

BB

I can only agree!

Anyone purchase one of these refurbished from dell's outlet store? They seem to usually be about $50 cheaper if you get the refurb from dell. Refurbs don't generally bother me so I I'm looking at that option.
The issue I have with buy via outlet is the very limited warranty. I believe it 90 day limited so that extra $50 for a brand unit with a 3 year full warranty to me is the better deal.

Also, I keep having this thought that the supply of refurbs are coming from folks here who are returning the poor performing units and getting new ones with no issues. Kind like the 2412m that fail HardForum QA testing. LOL

Also, I keep having this thought that the supply of refurbs are coming from folks here who are returning the poor performing units and getting new ones with no issues. Kind like the 2412m that fail HardForum QA testing. LOL

Hah, should start carving out tiny [H]'s with a pin inside the stands or something. :p Have people within the thread been returning that many units tho? I think people sometimes just return it because they dislike the AG coating or they're just picky or they decide to get something else. I'm sure Dell checks out refurbs and actually reconditions 'em.

Sorry, but that's not even a fair comparison. I had similar sentiments though, when I went from a glossy 19" (1440x900) to a 23" (1920x1080). I missed the glossy-ness, but the extra resolution made up for it. In your situation the 1440p Glossy monitor has it all... relatively speaking.

It's a totally fair comparison since a) they're in the same price range and b) my u2711 also looked like sh*t in comparison to this catleap, providing a like to like comparison that indicates non-ag is sharper than ag. Compare a dell 24" monitor next to an Apple glossy 24" monitor and you will see the difference. Will you care? Dunno, that's personal preference.

BB

I was quite pleased with choosing the u2412m for my use as a web dev, not for gaming. The reason I ask is all the girly yelping about how bad the screen was on the unit. I was getting the image was somehow diminished with the antiglare coating. I assumed it would be fine, especially if I have very good control over the workplace lighting.

Honestly, I've never had a glossy monitor but I always liked how sharp they are. However everytime I looked at one inside of frys in their big ol' warehouse with all the lights I realized the glare would drive me INSANE. There is a removal guide on [H] for the anti-glare coating but I honestly don't mind it.

BB GUN said:

I see, I guess I'd rather have no glare. What do you think about the removing of the AG coating? Personally I must say I went from a matte TN monitor to the u2412m and in terms of sharpness there is literally no contest. I'm sure that having the u2412m next to a true glossy monitor is just driving you crazy though I know it would drive me nuts especially if theres a difference in sharpness

I see, I guess I'd rather have no glare. What do you think about the removing of the AG coating? Personally I must say I went from a matte TN monitor to the u2412m and in terms of sharpness there is literally no contest. I'm sure that having the u2412m next to a true glossy monitor is just driving you crazy though I know it would drive me nuts especially if theres a difference in sharpness

I was nervous about reflections given how much I hate glossy laptop monitors, but the only time I see it in the room I have it (basement with two windows, shades typically drawn when using computer during the day, and single overhead lighting) is when I first sit down and its not even on yet, or when the screen is 90% dark over 75% or more of the area. YMMV, of course.

The delta in sharpness doesn't bother me between the two because the sidecar 2412 is only used for toolbars and websurfing. Images are generally not stretched across both screens since the 1440p monitor has enough acreage for me at the moment, though the continual falling prices of them has me jonesing for another one.

Since I am only a [H]obbyist and only Semi-[H]ard, I would not dare attempt a removal of AG coating.

BB

I was nervous about reflections given how much I hate glossy laptop monitors, but the only time I see it in the room I have it (basement with two windows, shades typically drawn when using computer during the day, and single overhead lighting) is when I first sit down and its not even on yet, or when the screen is 90% dark over 75% or more of the area. YMMV, of course.

The delta in sharpness doesn't bother me between the two because the sidecar 2412 is only used for toolbars and websurfing. Images are generally not stretched across both screens since the 1440p monitor has enough acreage for me at the moment, though the continual falling prices of them has me jonesing for another one.

Since I am only a [H]obbyist and only Semi-[H]ard, I would not dare attempt a removal of AG coating.

BB

I know what you mean I was overlooking the guide and peed a little out of nervousness just from thinking about doing it myself. It's rather frightening.

I think I'm just shocked when anybody says anything thats not positive about the 2412m

when I got it I still remember plugging it in and being like holy shit how could I ever be using a different monitor ever. such a giant upgrade. I was playing on like 1680x1050 and the jump to 1920x1200 for me was huge too. I loves it.

Has anyone tried plugging a keyboard or mouse into the usb ports? Are they not powerful enough to power them? I just tried and my mouse nor my keyboard registered... I wanted to have multiple computers connected to my monitor and not have to switch usb cables... i plugged a voice recorder and it didn't detect... does that mean my USB ports are defective? shiet

I plugged a keyboard and mouse in the USB hub on the monitor and it worked fine. Maybe it's a problem with the USB cable running from the monitor to your computer?

I was looking on the dell website earlier this week and the u2412m wasn't listed, checked today and it still isn't there. Anyone know if it got discontinued?

JUST bought it,,, when i browse this website,,, it has all the lines jumping ,, it happens in grey color.... PLEASE HELP>>>,,,,, i duno what to do with that

also I want to follow 10e collaboration, where can i find it??

Thank you!!!

JUST bought it,,, when i browse this website,,, it has all the lines jumping ,, it happens in grey color.... PLEASE HELP>>>,,,,, i duno what to do with that

Thank you!!!

10e's settings (gives you a good base to work from)

Right now I'm in Preset > Custom Color with Red>96, Green>93, and Blue>87 @ brightness of 45 and contrast of 75.

This seems to match the white up to my NEC and the rest of the colors look decent as well, just looking at test images.

I just purchased one last night from microcenter - they have dwindling stock but have a sale going on this week that makes the monitor the same price as the dell website, minus shipping and the 2 or 3 week wait. It takes up FAR less space on my desk than my old 24" gateway did. IPS glow is going to take some getting used to, though.

Thank you!!!

You might have some issue with the fact that you are using VGA with the screen, but it shouldn't be too hard to solve. It sounds like a clock/phase problem more than anything.

Press the menu button then select Auto-Adjust and that should help.

Sorry if English is not your first language but you seem fine at reading it so here is the English manual page, and take note auto-adjust only shows for VGA:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/u2412m/en/ug/operate.htm

Here (as quoted by Hurin)

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037608896&postcount=578

You could always buy it at Newegg for $339....

yeah if newegg has free shipping its really not that much more, I paid 25 dollars for shipping through dell. Plus tax youre looking at about the same price as newegg shipped and newegg is in cali and they move quick on orders... cept my damn case which I ordered and is still in packaging -_-

Coupon code on slickdeals for all dell monitors so tempted to try it out. Using a 1280x1024 19" Agneovo since 2005...

I just looked over on the bay and now see catleaps going for $350 delivered. The choice is getting much harder now. Factoring in shipping and tax for Dell, the damn catleap is actually cheaper. So how can one resist jumping off dell and leaping like the cats?

You might have some issue with the fact that you are using VGA with the screen, but it shouldn't be too hard to solve. It sounds like a clock/phase problem more than anything.

Press the menu button then select Auto-Adjust and that should help.

Sorry if English is not your first language but you seem fine at reading it so here is the English manual page, and take note auto-adjust only shows for VGA:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/u2412m/en/ug/operate.htm

Here (as quoted by Hurin)

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037608896&postcount=578

I am suffering from the flickering ... it's not a finger test but the flickering shows clearly in the grey background ... is it a problem becos of VGA?

btw thanks for the collaboration.

I just looked over on the bay and now see catleaps going for $350 delivered. The choice is getting much harder now. Factoring in shipping and tax for Dell, the damn catleap is actually cheaper. So how can one resist jumping off dell and leaping like the cats?

1. You get AG.
2. You get an excellent 3-year warranty that actually works.
3. You get a garunteed, no-questions asked no bright pixel warranty (I know there's the "perfect pixel garuntee", but seriously... does even DELL get it right all the time? So if you do for some reason get a bright pixel, what are you gonna do about it? send it back to Korea?)
4. USB hub.
5. Waaaay better stand.
6. U2412m can still be had for cheaper with a good sale.
7. You get an A+ panel from a reputable manufacturer. The catleaps are only A- quality.

#2+#3 is probably the only really good reasons to stick with Dell.

1. You get AG.
2. You get an excellent 3-year warranty that actually works.
3. You get a garunteed, no-questions asked no bright pixel warranty (I know there's the "perfect pixel garuntee", but seriously... does even DELL get it right all the time? So if you do for some reason get a bright pixel, what are you gonna do about it? send it back to Korea?)
4. USB hub.
5. Waaaay better stand.
6. U2412m can still be had for cheaper with a good sale.
7. You get an A+ panel from a reputable manufacturer. The catleaps are only A- quality.

#2+#3 is probably the only really good reasons to stick with Dell.
According to many here #1 is a negative not a plus.
Being somewhat conservative I am with you on #2 and #3.
#4 who cares
#5 I plan to mount on wall
#7 - I'm not that picky, an A is an A to me

Not much thrown out on the plus side for catleap. There is a massive thread over at overclockers where most post polling their experience including did you get a dud or not. Really not much of an issue but the return thing is a hassle for sure.

I'm still tempted as a 27" vs 24" plus much more pixels is very compelling.

AG can be a negative if it's applied too aggressively, but I think a ton of people would still take it over glossy and potential reflections any day of the week... Kind of a personal choice really.

#4 who cares

Not much thrown out on the plus side for catleap. There is a massive thread over at overclockers where most post polling their experience including did you get a dud or not. Really not much of an issue but the return thing is a hassle for sure.

When I weighed out the possibilities myself, I ended up buying a Catleap. But #1-7 are still valid reasons to get a U2412m instead, if those are worth more to you than the higher resolutions, 8-bit panel, S-IPS and (in my case) 120hz operability that a Catleap (or other cheap Korean Monitor) offers. I just threw them out since this is a Dell U2412m thread :p

#4 who cares

So go get one.

These are likely reject panels that don't make the cut for Apple/Dell. Which means much higher chance of pixel defects/BLB, and real warranty grief if you aren't happy, but if you are not picky, no problem.

Let's not turn this into another glossy debate. It has been hashed over many times, with multiple polls. In those polls the majority always prefer matte. Your choice is a valid one, but it is a minority opinion, and if you want glossy, why be in this thread for a matte monitor? You should be in the cheap glossy monitor thread dancing for joy.

#4 who cares

i think this is where personal preference comes in. Some people are extra sensitive to the AG coating. Personally I went from using TN and VA monitors and the difference was just silly in terms of sharpness. IPS and AG are a good combo and I dont really even notice the AG coating.

I think the warranty is part of why I bought the dell monitor, not to mention if you look at tftcentrals review the color and the contrast ratio is really impressive.

this is a u2412m thread though so maybe Im a little biased. I remember when I first plugged it in, I watched limitless in HD and I could see strands of his hair. so sick

Let's not turn this into another glossy debate. It has been hashed over many times, with multiple polls. In those polls the majority always prefer matte. Your choice is a valid one, but it is a minority opinion, and if you want glossy, why be in this thread for a matte monitor? You should be in the cheap glossy monitor thread dancing for joy.

I also prefer matte when done right, but I prefer glossy over the uneven grainy crap LG has been putting on their panels. *shrug*

YMMV, of course.

BB <-- who does get bothered by the reflections on his catleap during the day when the windows are open. But only then. Versus being annoyed with the U2711 AG coating EVERY TIME he sat in front of the monitor.

I'd also rather stick to 1920x1200 for now since I'm running 3 and that's much easier to drive by my GPUs (and wallet!) than 3x27". :p

So go get one.

These are likely reject panels that don't make the cut for Apple/Dell. Which means much higher chance of pixel defects/BLB, and real warranty grief if you aren't happy, but if you are not picky, no problem.

I see you have been a member for quite some time and I appreciate your perspective as it includes many related threads for a long time.

Understand that some of us are new members and here to seek information about these much higher quality monitors than those you see while strolling the isles of the local Best Buys.

I found this thread and follow it closely as I discovered this specific monitor and the great things ppl say about it. Only very recently, I learned of catleap type monitors as they were mentioned here. That is what got me looking at them just to compare.

The lively discussion here is great and keeps me evaluating the various factors and each buyer needs to weight them according to their own desires and needs.

It seems healthy to have different viewpoints in the same thread, rather than everyone agreeing to what others say. It surely makes me know that when I finally decide the choice of monitors I will be satisfied the selection was right for me. Thanks

OH - And I totally agree the catleap panels are probably B grade stock that is rejected from the top tier OEM like Apple, Dell, HP, etc. As they say, you get what you pay for, and that is right 95% of the time.

guys i bought the monitor yesterday
so far i am happy with the monitor
however the monitor stands seems didnt hang the monitor in prefectly balanced
when i measure left side and right site, its leaning 1mm
is there quick way to rebalance the stands?

I am suffering from the flickering ... it's not a finger test but the flickering shows clearly in the grey background ... is it a problem becos of VGA?

btw thanks for the collaboration.

So did you try going into the monitor's OSD/menu and perform an auto-adjust? If so, and the problem persists try a digital source like DVI, or even an HDMI device with HDMI to DVI cable and see if the problem is there. This should help isolate whether the issue is monitor based. Also, try a different VGA cable if you can. You never know, maybe the Dell one is bad.

AG can be a negative if it's applied too aggressively, but I think a ton of people would still take it over glossy and potential reflections any day of the week... Kind of a personal choice really.

I don't even talk about anti-glare versus glossy any more because of all of the stretching of the truth I see around here.

My opinion is, if your environment supports glossy, then try it, if not, go matte. The U2412M does not have extra heavy anti-glare like the U2711 or even some of the 30" LG matte panels.

Oh I agree, I'm quite happy with mine... I live in Puerto Rico, you'd have to pay me to put blinds on the windows. :p

Back