Dell U2412M

Does Dell charge a restocking fee on this monitor and do you have to pay to ship it back? Not sure if the AG coating will bother me.

Just got an email delaying my order from 12/9 to 12/14, and it was due to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) rules that they required my input to keep from canceling the order (perhaps the person on the phone just had a heavy accent that made the previous poster think they said FCC?)

Here's to hoping they hit the new date.

I ordered the dell screen for 299 plus the 10% off coupon so like 269+ tax. I then called because I was going to cancel the order and they actually offered my another 25$ to keep the order. Might be worth a shot for some people.

FWIW, I ask if they where back ordered, the girl checked and said no just "heavy ordered"..
I think it's worth a lot. From summer until the holiday season, delivery times were frequently if not usually being beaten. But since around Thanksgiving, sales generally have really picked up - no surprise there - and this monitor is apparently no exception. Those who wanted it before the rush should have ordered it back then. So how about it please, have some patience rather than trying ours.

Has it been confirmed what the difference is between Rev A00, A01 and A02 of the Dell U2412M monitor? Is it just firmware upgrades, or are there actual hardware related changes such as a different panel being used?

One person said that Rev A02 he received had better backlight uniformity than the previous Rev A00 he bought. But couldn't this just be due to normal variations in backlight quality seen between every unique monitor unit? Also, has no one received a Rev A02 U2412M with substantial backlight bleeding yet?

So my order was just delayed AGAIN. If I cancel/reorder with the extra 10% off, will that push my delivery date even further out?

I'm pretty sure if you reorder, that you end up at the back of the line. Consider using the live chat tool to have a rep adjust your price, or calling (the live chat tool seemed to take longer to get to a rep than the phone yesterday, but YMMV).

I'm pretty sure if you reorder, that you end up at the back of the line. Consider using the live chat tool to have a rep adjust your price, or calling (the live chat tool seemed to take longer to get to a rep than the phone yesterday, but YMMV).

I tried calling today, and no one seemed willing to adjust my price or shipping. Just said they could cancel and re-order, with an estimated date of "12/16" Didn't go for it. If anyone has luck, please let us know.

Chat is what I used (see my post, #1599) Ended up getting it for $269.10 +tax, I had to wait for them to get it approved by a sales manager, an hour later they called me on the phone..

I ended up calling Dell Sales and explained my friend had received a 10% coupon but I couldn't find one in my email. I got the $269.10 price before tax/ship. Thanks to everyone in the thread, I read way too many posts but I'm pretty excited to put this next to my 6 year old 2005FPW secondary and replace the cheap $120 S2209W that I've hated for 2 years (looks like crap next to the 2005FPW).

Odd, I've been playing a multitude of games on mine now for a few months and don't have any complaints.

Same here. Most of my use of the 2412M is gaming and I haven't had any issues whatsoever concerning ghosting, input lag, etc. and this is coming from someone who gamed on a CRT for years, so I can be pretty sensitive about those kinds of things.

Same here. Most of my use of the 2412M is gaming and I haven't had any issues whatsoever concerning ghosting, input lag, etc. and this is coming from someone who gamed on a CRT for years, so I can be pretty sensitive about those kinds of things.

That's good to hear, that's me to a "T". This will be my first other than a CRT

Man, for $270 I'm tempted to get a third one to make my EF setup uniform, and either sell my old TN or give it to a family member... But it looks like there's little chance they'd manage to ship it over before I leave on vacation around the 23rd (until jan 10 or so). Oh well, I'm sure it'll be available at around $300 again in the future.

Edit: I wonder if Dell Latin America has entirely different distribution/stock... They usually force me to order thru there anyway for PR. Guess it's worth a call to find out how back logged they are shipping-wise.

Mine just went to shipped. I'm still curious how 7-day shipping will get here on the 14th though. Has Dell figured out how to time travel? :p

EDIT: Got a tracking number, UPS. Now the ETA is the 13th. Excited.

Last edited:
Mine just went to shipped. I'm still curious how 7-day shipping will get here on the 14th though. Has Dell figured out how to time travel? :p

EDIT: Got a tracking number, UPS. Now the ETA is the 13th. Excited.

Want to trade tickets?:D Mine says on time for the 14th, but from what I'm hearing on here, it's a "lottery"

I intentionally did not contact them yesterday as I wanted them to cancel the order as required by the FTC per their email, yet today I get a shipment notification.

I'd really like to try it out. Does Dell charge a restocking fee on opened monitors?

I just bought this monitor, after using a 2ms TN 24" panel.
Arrived today, and im using it as i write. I absolutely love it, and i thought the ghosting/blur would be a problem. But i don't even notice it with overdrive off, hah.

I ordered on the 28th (though I think it was actually late on the 27th), and I just shipped within the last hour, no tracking or any other info yet, but that's a good sign that they made it from the 25th to the 28th(ish) so fast.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24"W Monitor, 24.0 Inch VIS, Widescreen, VGA/ DVI/ DP
Estimated Delivery Date: 12/14/2011(updated

I just bought this monitor, after using a 2ms TN 24" panel.
Arrived today, and im using it as i write. I absolutely love it, and i thought the ghosting/blur would be a problem. But i don't even notice it with overdrive off, hah.

What are your thoughts on the AG coating?

Finally shipped =) just an hour ago or so it changed to shipped.
Already have one, it is an amazing monitor.

Ordered mine on 11/24. When they delayed my order from 12/5 to 12/8 I called their support pretty much annoyed them into upgrading me to free next day air shipping, I just received it today :).

Hey guys, just received the U2412M :)

While watching some shows, i noticed some heavy screen tearing on it.

Is there anything that I could do to eliminate this?

P/s: My monitor defaults to 59Hz display even after changing it to 60Hz.

Hey guys, just received the U2412M :)

While watching some shows, i noticed some heavy screen tearing on it.

Is there anything that I could do to eliminate this?

P/s: My monitor defaults to 59Hz display even after changing it to 60Hz.

Did you make a sizable upgrade from your old monitor (i.e. resolution)? IMHO tearing is almost always the fault of the graphics card and/or application, since tearing is usually caused by the computer changing the frame-buffer while it is being flushed/drawn to the display. What is your cpu/graphics setup?

Some people noted previously that 60hz is actually 59.9something and occasionally can get rounded down instead of up, but it probably depends on where you are seeing the 59hz, if it's on the monitor's OSD, it may be a strange issue, most of the occurrences listed earlier int his thread were about games incorrectly displaying in game as 59hz.

Did you make a sizable upgrade from your old monitor (i.e. resolution)? IMHO tearing is almost always the fault of the graphics card and/or application, since tearing is usually caused by the computer changing the frame-buffer while it is being flushed/drawn to the display. What is your cpu/graphics setup?

Some people noted previously that 60hz is actually 59.9something and occasionally can get rounded down instead of up, but it probably depends on where you are seeing the 59hz, if it's on the monitor's OSD, it may be a strange issue, most of the occurrences listed earlier int his thread were about games incorrectly displaying in game as 59hz.

Actually I found out that the tearing is caused by having my other (2312HM) monitor being enabled. When i enable single display, the tearing is minimal but slightly noticeable at times.

59 Hz is listed on Windows 7.

Prior to this, I was using an Acer 15" monitor. I was using a S2409W 3 months ago but not with this rig.

My current rig with this monitor:

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z / Gen 3
2 x 4GB Kingston DDR3 Value Ram
2 x 4GB Kingston ECC DDR3 Server Ram
Leadtek Winfast GTX580 3GB
120GB Force GT SSD

Hm, certainly seems like a machine that should be able to keep up, but the fact that running single monitor improves the situation would certainly seem to prove it's some sort of machine issue. Driver update perhaps? You might also make sure you're using a video playing application that can take advantage of hardware acceleration as well.

Hm, certainly seems like a machine that should be able to keep up, but the fact that running single monitor improves the situation would certainly seem to prove it's some sort of machine issue. Driver update perhaps? You might also make sure you're using a video playing application that can take advantage of hardware acceleration as well.

I am using the latest Nvidia Driver (Beta) and updated the monitor's driver from the CD. I actually read somewhere earlier while searching that this issue occurs when another display is enabled. Not sure if it would be present with 3 monitors.

I am using VLC Media player. Any recommendation if i should switch?

Edit: Noticed some slight tearing / juddering on youtube videos as well.

Last edited:
Got mine today. Unfortunately the flicker discusses earlier in this thread affects me. I was sensitive to low refresh rates on CRTs so this doesn't surprise me.

Mine also has a possible tinting issue. On a white screen, the left side is more red and the right side is more green.

Got mine today. Unfortunately the flicker discusses earlier in this thread affects me. I was sensitive to low refresh rates on CRTs so this doesn't surprise me.

Mine also has a possible tinting issue. On a white screen, the left side is more red and the right side is more green.

What revision is it?

I bought mine a few days ago and they put the money back into my account.. will they take the money back out when it ships? this is kind of obnoxious. Paid for 2 days shipping just to get it a week later -_- shouldve just paid for it via newegg.

I bought mine a few days ago and they put the money back into my account.. will they take the money back out when it ships? this is kind of obnoxious. Paid for 2 days shipping just to get it a week later -_- shouldve just paid for it via newegg.

I had the same issue. They took it out today, the day after it shipped.

I am using the latest Nvidia Driver (Beta) and updated the monitor's driver from the CD. I actually read somewhere earlier while searching that this issue occurs when another display is enabled. Not sure if it would be present with 3 monitors.

I am using VLC Media player. Any recommendation if i should switch?

Edit: Noticed some slight tearing / juddering on youtube videos as well.

Not sure on the Nvidia driver, you could certainly try the latest stable and see if that helps any, but I'm on the ATi/AMD side of the fence. The latest VLC and Flash player (and therefor youtube) both support acceleration when working with a driver that supports it.

Edit: as of today, if you install silverlight5 you can also get accelerated video on sites that use silverlight (i.e. netflix).

Last edited:
I ordered mine on the 6th buy phone. Going on my account online, there is no record of the order, yet the confirmation email, says "in Processing", then I call the automated service and it say's "shipped today" Hope so.

Seems like they are trying to tie both their shoes at the same time.

I ordered mine on the 6th buy phone. Going on my account online, there is no record of the order, yet the confirmation email, says "in Processing", then I call the automated service and it say's "shipped today" Hope so.

Seems like they are trying to tie both their shoes at the same time.

I hope you mean 12/6 and not 11/6 :) If so, yeah, dell takes forever to update the order status area, I'm still waiting for it to reflect the amount they credited me for applying the 10% coupon after ordering.

I hope you mean 12/6 and not 11/6 :) If so, yeah, dell takes forever to update the order status area, I'm still waiting for it to reflect the amount they credited me for applying the 10% coupon after ordering.

Yeah 12/06, if it was 11/06, I'd be part of an "occupy Dell":D

Back