Dell U2412M

i got mine today, been using it for 6 hours now. This is my first IPS panel and i would say its not all 'that' people usually associate with IPS. The viewing angles is a great feature of IPS, i can put put the monitor really high and still receive the same picture quality and brightness as i would facing it directly. The colours are definitely more vibrant and movies certainly do look better. I'll be receiving my $180 colourmeter in a week or two and i bet that could definitely make it even better. The panel is very light, the bezel is really small and nicely made. The stand is great, allowing all sorts of adjustions in height, angle, swivel, tilt etc. The panel doesnt heat up a lot, still very cold-warm to touch unlike my old TN panel. Certainly the whites on this are very bright and the coating everyone complains about is non-existent to me.

i got mine today, been using it for 6 hours now. This is my first IPS panel and i would say its not all 'that' people usually associate with IPS. The viewing angles is a great feature of IPS, i can put put the monitor really high and still receive the same picture quality and brightness as i would facing it directly. The colours are definitely more vibrant and movies certainly do look better. I'll be receiving my $180 colourmeter in a week or two and i bet that could definitely make it even better. The panel is very light, the bezel is really small and nicely made. The stand is great, allowing all sorts of adjustions in height, angle, swivel, tilt etc. The panel doesnt heat up a lot, still very cold-warm to touch unlike my old TN panel. Certainly the whites on this are very bright and the coating everyone complains about is non-existent to me.

So it's not "all that," but you can't list a single negative? :confused:

I just received this monitor last night and I can confirm all of the positives mentioned in this post. It is super bright at factory settings, but after turning that down it simply looks great. For those people asking about input lag I can say that I cannot percieve it at all compared to a 2 year old viewsonic TN panel I used for gaming. I play HON and SC2, both games look very pretty on this monitor. I was also worried about switching from 16:9 to 16:10 and what that would do to my mouse control, but I was very easy to adjust.

So it's not "all that," but you can't list a single negative? :confused:
He mentioned it was his first IPS panel. I think he was just commenting on IPS vs what he's used to seeing in general. Not on this model in particular.

Got my shipped yesterday, can't wait for it to arrive, tracking # doesn't show up yet
Someone let me know what shipping carrier Dell uses for shipping? thanks

I believe they tend to use fedex...or at least their return to depot always uses it

Certainly the whites on this are very bright

but is it white or kinda grey/white
for the last 2 years EVERY monitor I have seen a white is NOT a true white.
Benq even after calibration is not a true white. Next to my old hyundai everything looks wrong lol

it is the best LCD monitor I have seen period.

here's a couple shots that might help too, well the BFBC2 shot might not help, I took a poor shot there, should have gone for a different scene. I had just setup my desk, so the monitor alignment is way off :\

ef1.jpg

ef4.jpg

Certainly the whites on this are very bright

but is it white or kinda grey/white
for the last 2 years EVERY monitor I have seen a white is NOT a true white.
Benq even after calibration is not a true white. Next to my old hyundai everything looks wrong lol

it is the best LCD monitor I have seen period.

What Hyundai? Maybe the S-PVA panel version (W241D) could be competitive with the U2412M, but not the TN-based W240D I tried. It had moving pattern dithering and looked like the 24" Samsung 2493HM I tried back then in 2008.

The whites seem pretty good to me.

Grrrr! Dell moved back the arrival date from Monday to next Thursday....

This makes me tempted to cancel and pick up the 27.5 inch Hanns-G selling on newegg for $270.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052

Someone talk me out of it. I was thinking of buying it and comparing the two, and sending whichever back. Dunno though... maybe I should just be patient.

Don't do it. A 27" TN panel won't hold up in this comparison. The top will be dark, and the bottom will be bright and have less contrast. If you do, I almost guarantee (unless size trumps all) you'll be sending back the Hanns unit.

here's a couple shots that might help too, well the BFBC2 shot might not help, I took a poor shot there, should have gone for a different scene. I had just setup my desk, so the monitor alignment is way off :\

the center is u2412m ?

Last edited:
I haven't done any sort of calibration, these are straight out of the box. Also, they look much better in person, I just don't know how to use my camera properly or what ideal lighting would be when taknig shots :\

seems like my patients is not there to wait for another review. got mine ordered today and will be here no later then next friday :)

hopefully my 5850 can drive the extra pixels. going up from the standard 1080p.

seems like my patients is not there to wait for another review. got mine ordered today and will be here no later then next friday :)

hopefully my 5850 can drive the extra pixels. going up from the standard 1080p.

you should have no issue with this.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the 2412 compares to the 2311? I was just about ready to place an order for the 2311 but this is making me rethink it

Senna.

Welcome to the ignore filter. You have been spouting negative nonsense about the monitor since the first page of this thread. Usually completely false info. But now you post ALL CAPS in Giant fonts it get attention. Begone.

People if you must respond to his rants try not to quote him, it ruins the effectiveness of ignore filter.

Senna.

Welcome to the ignore filter. You have been spouting negative nonsense about the monitor since the first page of this thread. Usually completely false info. But now you post ALL CAPS in Giant fonts it get attention. Begone.

People if you must respond to his rants try not to quote him, it ruins the effectiveness of ignore filter.

what do u want to me ?
I SAW AN EVIDENT GHOSTING EFFECT, and i cant say it ? if u dont care it, good for you, but for 80% of users a decent responsive time is the most importat factor, but i dont think that u understand it.
GO AWAY YOU !

Dude, they're broken because the monitors are different sizes :| it's a 24-30-24 setup, of course it's not going to align properly. I don't care :|

edit: he keeps editing his posts so that's why my post doesn't make much sense :\

Senna.

^

I had to figure out how to ignore because of him. He's constantly asking for purchasing advice and then ignoring it only to make a new thread, or spreading around misinformation with broken English and enlarged fonts.

Little confused by whats been posted in this thread. I'd be coming from a 2408WFP to this, will the colors ( I dont think?? I even use the wide gamut aspect of the 2408, I've never enabled it in windows or in any applications, at least not on purpose, if you have to do that). Mostly just gaming (and I do love sharp graphics that pop). I bought into the whole wide gamut thing of the 2408 when I got it because I thought at the time that it would give me better colors when doing stuff (minimal photoshop, games, movies etc)

So would this be much of an upgrade from the 4 year old 2408WFP? I was confused as to why this is better for gamers than the 2410 (which I think is very similar to the 2408?) when everything I can find says the 2410 + 2408 has a 6ms response time and this newer 2412 monitor has a slower time of 8ms.

Thanks for any input!

Little confused by whats been posted in this thread. I'd be coming from a 2408WFP to this, will the colors ( I dont think?? I even use the wide gamut aspect of the 2408, I've never enabled it in windows or in any applications, at least not on purpose, if you have to do that). Mostly just gaming (and I do love sharp graphics that pop). I bought into the whole wide gamut thing of the 2408 when I got it because I thought at the time that it would give me better colors when doing stuff (minimal photoshop, games, movies etc)

New monitors seldom are a world shaking difference. If you like what you have stick with it.

AFAIK,the 2408 is wide gamut and you don't have any choice but to use it, unless you are using the sRGB mode (which is reportedly terrible).

If you are used to it, you would likely find the 2412 a bit dull on the color front as it is normal gamut.

I like what I have but I was hoping for better gaming performance / graphics quality by upgrading from 4 year old tech. Just got 2 gtx 580's and figured spending a few hundred bucks to give them a better display was worth it seeing as how they cost a lot more than that!

So its always in wide gamut mode, i was just confused by the ICM file talk and how you have to enable programs in windows to run in wide gamut mode (Which ive never done)

So its always in wide gamut mode, i was just confused by the ICM file talk and how you have to enable programs in windows to run in wide gamut mode (Which ive never done)
Hence the main problem with wide gamut being used in normal situations, some colors get misrepresented if the program thinks sRGB is being used. This is why Reds and Greens jump out at you.

Amen.

The 2408 was a very fast S-PVA panel, but they are still prone to some ghosting effects compared to a TN, and depending on the revision the 2408 may have a few frames of input lag. Going by 10e's pictures the 2412 will be a slight improvement for all around responsiveness over the 2408, or a massive one depending on the 2408 revision #. There is also the benifit of wider viewing angles and no gamma shift. The downside could be not liking sRGB colors and the AG coating, but I am pretty sure the Samsung S-PVA's used medium AG coating and going by some users in here that is also what the 2412 uses.

I had a 275t and I remember it being grainer than my C-PVA panel, maybe some one else who has also owned both VA types can comment.

Yeah I sent my Rev A01 back to dell and they sent the latest revision, I remember doing that to get rid of the lag problems.

Now that you mention it even the red bars above posts here on [H] seem to pop compared to my work monitor thats not wide gamut... I kind of like it though... I pulled the trigger, hope I will not miss the colors even if I'm seeing them displayed as they should be!

Looks like this monitor is getting quite the bit of praise. You guys think this will be a good upgrade from a 2209WA?

I actually just saw it over at a friends house. Its a very very nice monitor for the money.But I must say that I think the picture on my U2410 looked better. The colors on the U2412 did not look as vibrant or real as the U2410. But mine is also calibrated with the spyder 3 pro his U2412 is out of the box. A 24 inch inch IPS at $320 is a steal IMO Dell certainly has a winner on its hands I think..

Back