Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

A few posts ago I mentioned that a dell rep said that the latest batch have the backlighting problem fixed and that I can go ahead with a replacement or wait for a patch online. Of course the patch is false info, and I can't believe any rep would know for sure about the problem actually being fixed. And since they mentioned a patch that then concludes they don't know what the heck the problem is.

I was past my 21 days, but if they said the latest batch of screens have it fixed and that I could do another replacement I assumed they'd send a new screen, not refurbed which happens after 21days. Well, the screen arrived at work and they called and said it has the refurb sticker on the outside.

So what was the point of them saying the latest batch is fixed and I could do a replacment if they were going to send me an old refurbed model that is probably worse. Maybe because each time you reply to an e-mail you always get someone new and they don't read everything carefully from the last e-mail. Maybe I'll get lucky, someone said they check refurbs twice for quality compared to new screens.

But if this screen is worse, the 4th screen, I'm going to put pressure on them to do something about this,.

Also, I don't care about one or two dead pixels. My current screen has two, but I never notice them so I don't care, I only would be upset about a deadpixel if I saw them everyday.

freak this.... i hate dell's support. especially on return and exchanges. I was on hold for nearly 45 mins only to be placed on hold again for tech support.

I went ahead and placed a new order for one. strangely after reading some of the posts on refurbished i am now skeptical that my [first] replacement might have been refurbished...

original unit came damaged. it was cracked all over the screen. replacement unit came in 2 days, [kudos to them for quickness] but i encountered 2 dead pixels. not much bleeding. but however i've noticed that there was some minor scratches on the unit...

hmm i wonder if it was a return unit. anyways I've just placed an order for a new one for $486.75

damn dell!!!!

The refurb screens have a sticker on the box that clearly says it. Also, the box was wider as it was packed differently. This time it looks like the stand is preattached and laying on it's back supported by foam on the sides. I haven't pulled it out yet. But a new screen comes with the stand in a seperate layer of foam.

My refurb turned out to be the same Jan A01 model. The bleeding is basically flipped, instead of on the top right now it's on the top left, and same with the bleeding on the bottom being now on the right, but actually worse now.

So why would they tell be the latest batch has the problem fixed and that I can do another replacment, but send me an older screen that doesn't have their so called fix.

This just annoys me, don't these dell reps have any logic? It's like if I reply this way, "OH really, you say the new screens have it fixed, sure I'd love a replacement" So they send you an old screen instead a new one with the fix, ARRGHHH Just plain dumb. Now they have another screen they'll be paying for when it's returned again, how much does this overnight shipping cost them, man what a bad system.

Mitchell_ said:
for the canadians in the house, Dell Canada has this LCD on for $599.00 CAD (saving $350.00) until 11:59 tonight (March 12)

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

I just ordered up mine!

For the americans, that's about $499 USD.

I'll post info once I receive it and let you guys know the revision and such.

BTW, I've been following this thread since page 1, just a lurker.

Hello! :)

- Mitch

i got it in on it last night as well, mitch....hope they both turn out to be good ones for us canucks!

Hi all. just signed up because I have just received a 2005fpw (really couldn't afford the 2405), could anybody take a look at these pics? I might have backlighting issues, but I might just be seeing things that aren't there because I know the common problem. I haven't got a great camera (it is an old canon powershot a10), so I really can't configure the camera properly. The pic makes the problem look worse than actaully is.

img13785ka.jpg

Does this need replacing? because currently I have 0 dead pixels

looks just like mine, 0 dead pixels, but the most bleeding in the lower left corner.

I kept mine, I dont give a crap about the back lighting its only viewable if like 3 factors are in place at the same time. Overall the backlight thing was blown out of proportion.

If you are unhappy get the Apple Display 20" for $999 :eek:

I don't think that is a problem worth trying to get a replacement. You might end up with one that is worst than yours (dead pixels/ backlight). Cameras overexagerrate the backlighting a lot (mind did when I took a picture). With my naked eye I couldn't see any backlighting but with the picture I could.

You do have a bleeding issue in the lower left, but whether you should replace it is up to you. If it is less apparent than what's visible in the photo and you have no dead pixels I'd seriously consider keeping it (especially because of the 0 dead pixel thing). Basically, if it bothers/annoys you even when you aren't looking for it, then return/replace it. It's basically a crapshoot with returns and though it seems like things have improved, you may end up with something that isn't much better than what you have now and you may need to do multiple returns to be happy (which requires quite a bit of time/patience). There is also a good chance (from what I've seen) that it will even out somewhat over time.

OK, think you have convinced me to keep it. But I do love this monitor!! Just the space it saves compared to my 21" CRT

Chillmeister said:
OK, think you have convinced me to keep it. But I do love this monitor!! Just the space it saves compared to my 21" CRT

Yup I had a 19" and it has saved me a whole lot of more space... I can actually use my desk for other things now that don't require the keyboard.

When looking for backlighting issues, stand 6 or more feet from the monitor. That way there will be no view angle effects mixed with it and all you'll see is any bleeding if there, if any.

i wouldn't worry about it from what i see hear, but if it really bugs you, take a clock and put on screen where it's backlit more and relatively firmly with cloth under your hand, rub around the area a bit..i've read a bunch that this fixes the backlit issue..not sure if i'm brave enough to do it, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal..if i were you, i'd leave it alone..that's nothing..

tenax said:
i wouldn't worry about it from what i see hear, but if it really bugs you, take a clock and put on screen where it's backlit more and relatively firmly with cloth under your hand, rub around the area a bit..i've read a bunch that this fixes the backlit issue..not sure if i'm brave enough to do it, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal..if i were you, i'd leave it alone..that's nothing..

Well, thanks for the tip, much appreciated, but I am not sure I am brave enough to do it. If it really does start to bug me, I might do.

While displaying multiple colored backgrounds i found around 3 or 4 dead pixels along with some backlighting issues on my new 2005FPW i just got yesterday. The issues are hardly noticeable when your sitting at the display but i went ahead and contacted Dell yesterday and a new one is on the way.

Now starts the RMA'ing game for the perfect LCD.

burningrave101 said:
While displaying multiple colored backgrounds i found around 3 or 4 dead pixels along with some backlighting issues on my new 2005FPW i just got yesterday. The issues are hardly noticeable when your sitting at the display but i went ahead and contacted Dell yesterday and a new one is on the way.

Now starts the RMA'ing game for the perfect LCD.

Very, very, very few people have perfect 2005fpw's. There are major manufacturing problems with this particular monitor. I gave up on it and am moving onto the 2405fpw.

Chillmeister said:
Hi all. just signed up because I have just received a 2005fpw (really couldn't afford the 2405), could anybody take a look at these pics? I might have backlighting issues, but I might just be seeing things that aren't there because I know the common problem. I haven't got a great camera (it is an old canon powershot a10), so I really can't configure the camera properly. The pic makes the problem look worse than actaully is.

img13785ka.jpg

Does this need replacing? because currently I have 0 dead pixels

The one I had had way worse backlighting problems than yours, but no dead pixels. I tried to live with it, but not anymore. I ended up returning it.

I requested a replacement 2005fpw a week and a half ago, and I still haven't received it yet. Is anyone else waiting an abnormally long time for their 2005, new or replacement?

Nope not me. I got mine within 4 days including the weekend but i live in austin tx where they ship from. I pay tax but the shipping makes up for it. Overnight delivery practically.

pufftissue said:
The one I had had way worse backlighting problems than yours, but no dead pixels. I tried to live with it, but not anymore. I ended up returning it.

What you don't understand is that the cameras usually really over exagerrate what the backlight problems actually look like. The one you might've could've looked like with your naked eye but his probably doesn't.

Chillmeister said:
Argh! 1 pixel is stuck on green on the right hand side

I think 75 percent of the 2005's have stuck pixels, You can try a return like I did and get more dead pixels, My first one had a red stuck pixel in the middle of the screen that drove me nuts so I got a second, Which has 3 dead or stuck pixels, Less of an annoyance though, They are dark blue and black so I dont notice them very often. I was hoping for the perfect one but it just wasnt there for me. You can roll the dice and hope for better, Beyond that I do love the monitor though. My brother bought one and is using it as an HDTV hooked to a direct TV HD box. He is very happy with it using it as such. He had to buy a DVI to HDMI cable though.

I got lucky, mine has no dead pixels and not that bad of a backlight issue. I don't notice it at all unless I sit to close. I love it so far, only had it a few days now.

I got mine and all I can say is wow!!!! No dead pixels. It is just flat awesome. And all for $486 delivered!!!! It has February manufacture date. One of the best investsments I have made as far as my computers go. I am all ready thinking about getting another one.
:D

phatjedi said:
I got mine and all I can say is wow!!!! No dead pixels. It is just flat awesome. And all for $486 delivered!!!! It has February manufacture date. One of the best investsments I have made as far as my computers go. I am all ready thinking about getting another one.
:D

$486?! Where did you get that from?

mine arrived yesterday. no dead pixels but there is leakage in 3 corners. The bottom left and top right are visible during the day even while on the desktop. I tried leaving the moniter flat overnight and it ddint help any so I think im gonna request a replacement later =\

Nascar24 said:
I think 75 percent of the 2005's have stuck pixels, You can try a return like I did and get more dead pixels, My first one had a red stuck pixel in the middle of the screen that drove me nuts so I got a second, Which has 3 dead or stuck pixels, Less of an annoyance though, They are dark blue and black so I dont notice them very often. I was hoping for the perfect one but it just wasnt there for me. You can roll the dice and hope for better, Beyond that I do love the monitor though. My brother bought one and is using it as an HDTV hooked to a direct TV HD box. He is very happy with it using it as such. He had to buy a DVI to HDMI cable though.

I think I overreacted. I hardly notice the pixel stuck on green really. It can only be seen on a black background and even then I gotta search before i notice it. Also how black can the black be? I noticed the black isn't as black as it could be, It is noticeable in the darker scenes of i.e. LOTR (the blacks seem bright). What is everybody's setting to get the black as black as possible (for example brightness/contrast).

but I understand this is a trait of IPS technology and because 2405 is based on PVA, it has better black.

Also here is a nice review on the 2005fpw: http://www.behardware.com/articles/547/page4.html

Any tips mucho appreciated! :)

Mitchell_ said:
for the canadians in the house, Dell Canada has this LCD on for $599.00 CAD (saving $350.00) until 11:59 tonight (March 12)

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

I just ordered up mine!

For the americans, that's about $499 USD.

I'll post info once I receive it and let you guys know the revision and such.

BTW, I've been following this thread since page 1, just a lurker.

Hello! :)

- Mitch

just got mine today , mitchell..superquick..and...NO DEAD PIXELS ON THE TEST! and..picture is incredible!

for those who've talked about this monitor being too bright..no question it's presettings are way too bright and a bit too bright at "0", but my nvidia card compensated no problem for this..

the clarity, colours are superb..i'm thrilled! off to thank dell for the quick shipping and good QC!

tenax said:
just got mine today , mitchell..superquick..and...NO DEAD PIXELS ON THE TEST! and..picture is incredible!

for those who've talked about this monitor being too bright..no question it's presettings are way too bright and a bit too bright at "0", but my nvidia card compensated no problem for this..

the clarity, colours are superb..i'm thrilled! off to thank dell for the quick shipping and good QC!

Glad to hear it.. that makes me even more excited! I should have mine in a week or so.. I had to use internet banking to pay for it and it's slow for some reason.. they should be shipping it monday or tuesday and I'll post up about it :)

Mitchell_ said:
Glad to hear it.. that makes me even more excited! I should have mine in a week or so.. I had to use internet banking to pay for it and it's slow for some reason.. they should be shipping it monday or tuesday and I'll post up about it :)
Good luck, Dell's pretty conservative on their estimations so don't be suprised if you get it a little earlier then they said :) and so on if that isn't so..

danbanger said:
Good luck, Dell's pretty conservative on their estimations so don't be suprised if you get it a little earlier then they said :) and so on if that isn't so..

yeah..i paid with visa, mitchell..and dan..you're right.mine started off saying estimate as of last saturday night when i ordered of march 28th..then when it got done production and shipped, it said march 23 to march 25th..and by 3:30pm my time today, it's in my hands..i had just got home 15 minutes before,too..the gods of computers were with me:)'

and dell got a nice thank you:)

i've watched movies, tv shows, managed documents and don't notice any of this "twinking effect"..they really don't tell us much about it, do they:)

tenax said:
i've watched movies, tv shows, managed documents and don't notice any of this "twinking effect"..they really don't tell us much about it, do they:)

I notice no twinkling effect.

I use my 2005fpw as my full time TV also. Works great!

No twinkling here..... I think that they are perhaps refering to the pixel inversion effect that is slightly (and I mean slightly) visible on some fast moving objects. I've noticed this effect (in some cases more pronounced forms of it) on virtually all fast (<= 16ms) LCDs. The article below explains it... inversion is necessary for LCD displays, however, you will NOT notice it's during normal use, it is a very subtle effect that you need to look for. If you're worried about color reproduction and dithering, rest assured the 2005FPW will not dissapoint.

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/

I ordered mine from Joe Singh at wipro, paid 557.00 shipped. I know others have gotten it cheaper but I ordered it on the 21st and it was at my door today the 22nd, now that is quick. I do live in Texas tho, maybe that was the difference. So far moniter is great. ;)

Back