Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

they could send you nothing

and refurbs are fine.

edit: holy crap didnt realize this thread was so long, lol

firey-eyez said:
...that is absolutely ridiculous. if i buy a new monitor for 700 bones, and it sucks, i expect a new one no questions asked. what kind of an underhanded company sends you a used replacement when the initial one they sent you was defective? this, and the price raise on all their monitors just cut my chance of buying from them waaay down.

If you turn V-Sync off in games so that you can go higher than 60FPS, you will notice "horizontal tearing" (i.e. it will look like crap)

At this monitor's native resolution, you will get a refresh rate of 60hz which means, with V-sync on, you're capped at 60FPS. Though, as long as your frames stay around 60, you'll probably never notice. 60 is as smooth as silk.

As for the 2405 being worth it... paying double the price for a few inches is really worth it to you people?

I found in certain games turning on Vsync kills performance, actually lower framerate that was never above 60fps if the refresh rate was at 60. Like in Doom3, I'd test with sync on and off in the same location. I found in a seen that was lets say at 50fps with it off was 30fps with it on when it should have been the same. So it actually hurt performance for some reason in that game. This was before getting my 2005fpw.

steviep said:
As for the 2405 being worth it... paying double the price for a few inches is really worth it to you people?

Text and icons and such between the 2005 and 2405 should look almost the same size next to each other despite the 2405 being 3 inches larger. The 2405 resolution adds 540000 more pixels. So it's not like you'd be getting it for those 3 extra inches, but the higher resolution.

Similar case with the 19inch and 20 inch screens. A person might ask you why pay so much more for that extra 1 inch, not much difference. But there is a huge difference between 1280*960 and 1600*1200

Yes I know, icons and text are a similar size (i.e. my 17" CRT @ 1600x1200 made me cringe because it was so tiny, in comparison, 1680x1050 on my 2005 looks like 1024x768 looked on my CRT)

But... well, people in the state are getting this monitor for $500 all inclusive, and for about 900+ all-inclusive, they are getting the 2405. Just a few inches, double the price. I'm not sure if I could justify it to myself to get the 2405.

Everyone has their reasons for getting the 2005 or 2405, one person may believe that spending that extra money for the 2405 is not worth it for them, while another person may think it is totally worth it. It's all a matter of preference in what people get and you aren't likely to swing their mindset much like liberals and conservatives :eek:

Dammit, now that I have 2005 I want a 2405!

When I first ordered my 2005 I thought since I'm really happy with my 19" CRT, a 20" wide aspect could be more than enough. Now after about 1 and a half week I am used to this resolution and actually want more!

Bad thing about using a wide screen is that when I go to the lab of my deaprtment and look at those 19" SUN monitors, I feel like a horse. A horse with eye patches limiting my sight. A regular screen is too damn narrow! Now I want every display I see in wide aspect.

ChiMan said:

When I first ordered my 2005 I thought since I'm really happy with my 19" CRT, a 20" wide aspect could be more than enough. Now after about 1 and a half week I am used to this resolution and actually want more!

Bad thing about using a wide screen is that when I go to the lab of my deaprtment and look at those 19" SUN monitors, I feel like a horse. A horse with eye patches limiting my sight. A regular screen is too damn narrow! Now I want every display I see in wide aspect.

Alright, now u r just getting greedy :-p

ChiMan said:

I feel the same way. I already liked my laptop 15.4inch widescreen, but that didn't effect me much. Now that I've replaced my 21inch CRT with a 2005fpw I've gotten use to the wide apsect. So now when I go into work and look at the 21inch CRT I have there it just feels too narrow.

Though, after a month or more you'll get use to using both types of screens.

You also say you want more. Try going to a Compusa that has the Apple 30inch, you might love it, but you'll finally say to yourself, maybe that's too much :)

TimothyB said:
You also say you want more. Try going to a Compusa that has the Apple 30inch, you might love it, but you'll finally say to yourself, maybe that's too much :)

LOL, did that already. Those are monsters! I had to move my head up and down to see the whole screen. But being a gready bastard, MAYBE I'll still want more if I do get my hands on one :D

Question about Dell's 21 day return policy. I know the 21 days starts when the monitor ships from their warehouse, but what has to occur by the 21st day? Do you have to inform Dell that you're returning it by then, and then ship it, or does it actually have to be back in their hands by day 21?

Ahh..just got my 2005fpw and so far theres no backlighting and only 1 dead pixel that I can only see in a white background. I love it!

I am however having a problem with the adjustable stand. I seem to have put it down too far and now the button (#10 on the instructions) seems stuck. Is there any way to un-jam the button so I can adjust the height of the screen??

danbanger said:
Ahh..just got my 2005fpw and so far theres no backlighting and only 1 dead pixel that I can only see in a white background. I love it!

I am however having a problem with the adjustable stand. I seem to have put it down too far and now the button (#10 on the instructions) seems stuck. Is there any way to un-jam the button so I can adjust the height of the screen??

The button is spring loaded. The screen must be tilted up before you can push the button. I had the same problem when i tried to put the stand back in the box, since I use a mounting arm.

morfinx said:
The button is spring loaded. The screen must be tilted up before you can push the button. I had the same problem when i tried to put the stand back in the box, since I use a mounting arm.

The button (#10) still won't move at all no matter where I tilt the screen. I am talking about the lower button that is near the silver stand if there is any confusion.

danbanger said:
The button (#10) still won't move at all no matter where I tilt the screen. I am talking about the lower button that is near the silver stand if there is any confusion.

Have you tried pushing the monitor down until the button gives way, then while still holding it in pull the monitor up. If needed, maybe remove the LCD for a short time. Then try to unlock the button. But be careful, without the weight of the LCD the stand will shoot to full height the second the button goes in.

After fiddling around with it again it seems to be fixed now thanks guys for the help :)

Heres some pictures, I'll take some backlight pictures later since I can't get my room totally dark right now.

Well, I e-mailed Dell again for a 3rd replacement. I'm past my 21 day period. I pleaded my case about the problem. Here's the main part of the reply I got:

With respect to your reply, I understand that you want to know whether
you can still request another exchange under warranty. The current
screen has backlight bleeding on the upper right corner and bottom left
corner. Earlier the problem has been fixed with the latest batch of new
screens.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you encountered with
your technical issues. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to
share your experience with us.

Mr. Harris, if you want, we can go ahead and give another replacement.
However, I would suggest you to wait for some time for a patch to come
up on our support site.

I am sure that the information I have provided will help. Please let me
know about any further inquiries or comments that you may have. I will
be glad to assist you.

Just to note I mentioned the areas of the screen that had the bleeding. I'm hoping they didn't just repeat what I said but that they actually knew of the problem area the bleeding was recently in and that it's been fix like they said.

They still offered to do another exchange but I was shocked at that comment many have received before, this comment:
However, I would suggest you to wait for some time for a patch to come
up on our support site.

That's totally bogus, you can't dl a patch or driver update that can fix this. It's like saying you they'd have a patch to fix your dead pixel. So obviously my e-mail back will be to request the replacement and not wait for a patch that will never be.

Also, for those still under their 21 days, you can do an upgrade incase you want a 2405 now. Though, I don't know how that works, if you lose any coupons you had or not or if they transfer them over.

If you're over your 21 days, they said to me I could still return the screen, but at a 15% depreciation of value. I don't know how that works since the screen is already bad.

Here's the friendly response I got:

"Mr. Chapman, I am sure that the issue will be finally fixed once you
receive the monitor. In case you need additional support on this issue
or any others that you might have, do write to me. I will be glad to
assist you"

I found it pretty amusing with the bombardment of returns I'm sure they're receiving... even if 50% of the are from enthusiast forums.

TimothyB said:
That's totally bogus, you can't dl a patch or driver update that can fix this. It's like saying you they'd have a patch to fix your dead pixel. So obviously my e-mail back will be to request the replacement and not wait for a patch that will never be.

LOL It's probably a literal patch. They're gonna send you a few small pieces of black cloth and some tape so you can stick 'em over the areas with backlight bleeding ;)

I'm gonna assume it's an English issue whereby patch really means product revision or physical solution to the problem.

Anyone know of any great deals on the 2005FPW right now? Best I can find is 15% and free shipping on the Dell site. Needs to be better than that!

Coupons, anyone?

Thx

DevonTT said:
Anyone know of any great deals on the 2005FPW right now? Best I can find is 15% and free shipping on the Dell site. Needs to be better than that!

Coupons, anyone?

Thx

Not right now but Dell comes out with coupons a lot, just wait for a 25% off and - $55-75 off coupon codes. www.techbargains.com will have these codes when they are available :)

Does anyone know if Dell is out of stock on the 2005fp? I'm waiting for a replacement to come but it hasn't come yet. The dell website says availability is 1-2 weeks?!

I ordered my 2005fpw last wednesday and it say wait was "1-2 weeks" like you saw also but I received it yesterday (monday).

Heres an update on the backlight pictures I promised =o

and one from farther distance

Please note that the camera HIGHLY exaggerates (imo) the backlighting. I don't think I can notice it at all under regular conditions. I am convinced that I got a perfect monitor (no dead pixels either). These pictures are taken about after almost 2 days of use. Oh and I think the brown tint or whatever is caused because I took the picture at an angle.

Yea, thats really not that bad. I'm still trying to decide if I want to get the 2005FP (I got a deal for about $700 Canadian w/ free shipping), or if I should play it safe and get the 1905FP and not have to worry about backlighting problems. I'm still undecided though. I wouldn't mind the 2405, but its $1500CAD on Dell's site, so thats out of the question.

That is a pretty good screen "out of the box." I've photographed mine with a digital camera before and I know the camera seriously exagerrates the backlight in general. I'm sure to the naked eye that screen would look near perfect.

Got mine today. So far, no dead pixels, and very minimal backlight leakage (its been on for about 2 hours). Question though, is it supposed to get warm to the touch as mine has(the screen itself, and the top edge only, the sides are still cool)?

Yep mine is warm to the touch (the screen), and if I see fingerprint marks from this later today I'm gonna be angry! :p

MJGunn said:
Got mine today. So far, no dead pixels, and very minimal backlight leakage (its been on for about 2 hours). Question though, is it supposed to get warm to the touch as mine has(the screen itself, and the top edge only, the sides are still cool)?

mines warm also..funny how it puts out more heat than my crt lol. Anways what did everyone do to fix the redness problem? Everytime i see a picuture with lots of red it looks real wierd. tried the crt settings which didnt help much.

ufot said:
mines warm also..funny how it puts out more heat than my crt lol. Anways what did everyone do to fix the redness problem? Everytime i see a picuture with lots of red it looks real wierd. tried the crt settings which didnt help much.

You will see red if u look at it at an angle

I have a 3rd replacement on the way. I sure hope the backlighting is fixed or atleast minimal. I regret or feel like I should have waited for the 2405. If I was still able to return my 2005 and get my $150 coupon back it would be so nice to find one of those Dell rep $860-$899 deals and then apply that $150 off to it.

morfinx said:
You will see red if u look at it at an angle

no not the peachy thing you see at different angles. Its just the viewing anything red looks oversaturated.

ufot said:
no not the peachy thing you see at different angles. Its just the viewing anything red looks oversaturated.

Yeah, reds or any other vibrant colors look overwhelming on this display. Just after getting my screen I came across a badly colored site with pure red as the background and bars with white text, lets say my eyes didn't fair to well against it.

I think that's just a quality of these displays and other LCDs, colors are going to be superbright, unlike a crt, even the whites are much bright, close to the colors you'd see on a tv.

You haven't been messing around with digital vibrance have you? That's a feature for nvidia cards if you have one, it kind of saturates and blows things out, so you lose detail if set to an extreme, but gives everything a much more vibrant look.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness on the display to 50% or lower. Also try lowering gamma from 1.0 defualt to 0.8. Though, the gamma might not help the brightness level, but will make the display look less washed out.

for all who got replacements... what did you say to the DELL rep to get yours replaced?
I have said many things such as bad pixel line, flicker problems and all the DELL rep was send me to TECH SUPPORT...

any ideas?

I'm in Canada, and they sent me to tech support to put "notes" in the monitor's log so that the CS people could replace it. The tech support just wants to verify that the monitor does in fact have these problems. I even tried the e-mail replacement here in Canada, and they told me there has to be tech notes in the monitor's file, too. Just deal with them for 30 mins, and they'll put the notes in, transfer you back to CS and then get a replacement.

my first 2005FPW was cracked horribly, i didnt have to go through tech support. but the second one has 2 dead pixels, im just trying to gamble for a pixel perfect one.

sigh. but i sure hate calling DELL.

I did all my requests through email. They usually seem to get processed in India during the night, but that works for me, I don't mind the slight time lag to not have to sit around on the phone for god knows how long.

So does Dell ever get these replacement ones sent back or what? They came for my 1st display when they sent out the 3rd, but I've had the 2nd display sitting around for 2 weeks now. Does it automaticly become mine after a month? :)

bitgod said:
I did all my requests through email. They usually seem to get processed in India during the night, but that works for me, I don't mind the slight time lag to not have to sit around on the phone for god knows how long.

So does Dell ever get these replacement ones sent back or what? They came for my 1st display when they sent out the 3rd, but I've had the 2nd display sitting around for 2 weeks now. Does it automaticly become mine after a month? :)

according to their return / exchange policy, if they do not receive the replacement or the return unit within 10 day of receipt of your new replacement... they will charge your credit card or account for that unit.

but who knows. u might be lucky. but i doubt they'll let it go.

I kept an extra screen for over 30 days, never got notice for it was charged, but I finally set-up a pickup. If you e-mail them about it they'll set-up UPS to pick it up with 48hrs with three trys.

Normally when you get a replacement it's supposed to have a return airbill sticker inside that bag on the outside of the box with the invoice or whatever paper. Then you'd put that over the old label and drop it off a DHL authorized location or schedule a pickup through their site. But a lot times Dell forgets to include that sticker to mail it back.

Back