Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

I may of overlooked the fact that your gamma settings need adjusting. Hopefully its something simple as that and not a fault with your monitor.

Well I got mine at the start of this week and their was very little backlight bleading but quite a few dead pixels (like 5 green, and 1 red) but they didn't bother me too bad so I kept it. But now the backlight is spreading so that its faint gray even in the middle of the monitor so its time to get an exchange. I should probably just return and wait for 2405's to come down since those seem to be having way less problems even though they seem to be nearly identical besides the size and having component. Whats the best way to get help, to e-mail dell?

I e-mailed [email protected] about three weeks ago asking how I can combine one of those HOME coupons with the student discount and never got a reply.
Are the coupons for 25-35% that show up every coupl eof weeks only for home and small business? If i order from school I get 12% off, but it doesn't let me combine any other coupon. Any ideas?

Well after 4 weeks I am finally getting my 2005FPW on Monday - Dell lost my payment and it took them 3 weeks to find it.. so Monday night I will post my results!

- Mitch

All,

I arrived home to see my 2005FPW waiting for me!

Hookedup, been running for about an hour, no backlight issues and no dead pixels whatsoever. GORGEOUS. I don't know how I lived without it.

It totally dwarfs my 1705FP and the colors are so pure and beatiful. I will be saving for a 2nd one to replace my other 17, that's for sure!

It's a A01 Mexico March 2005.

- Mitch

Mitchell_ said:
All,

I arrived home to see my 2005FPW waiting for me!

Hookedup, been running for about an hour, no backlight issues and no dead pixels whatsoever. GORGEOUS. I don't know how I lived without it.

It totally dwarfs my 1705FP and the colors are so pure and beatiful. I will be saving for a 2nd one to replace my other 17, that's for sure!

It's a A01 Mexico March 2005.

- Mitch

How do you like the brightness? Isn't it disturbing? ...when you watching it for more than 2 hrs.

Im not sure what the brightness issue is. I game and watch movies for hours and i have no problems with it being too bright. My monitor came with the brightness levels at 100%. I put it down to 0 and it helped a bit. I also use powerstrip so i can decrease and increase brightness on the fly while playing games or browsing etc.

Current 2005FPW owners...

Do many off you have a weird screendoor/"mesh" effect. A friend of mine recently bought one of these - it looks great, nice, sharp, colourful etc. However, when playing World of Warcraft, if you look closely at the screen whilst moving, you can see quite a prevalent "mesh" effect; it's a bit like a net with tiny holes has been stretched across the screen. As soon as you stop moving, the effect disappears. It's also noticeable in Half Life 2: bright, vivid colours really make it stand out. I believe this might be known as the "screendoor" effect, but I've described it just in case it might be something else.

So does anybody else have this? Or does it sound like my mate has a dodgy screen? :confused:

I haven't noticed it on mine. How close are you getting to the monitor. My eyes are about 2-3 feet away from mine.

You can definitely make it out within 2 feet.

My old 2001FP used to suffer slightly from this - you could make it out in the very top-left hand corner of the screen, but only when you got within a few inches. I'm currently using a 2405 which doesn't seem to suffer from it, but it's REALLY obvious on my friend's screen.

I've had my 2005FPW since around when they launched (before the 2405FPW was even rumored), and do not have any screen door effect visible when moving around in games like Half-Life 2 and Dark Age of Camelot: Catacombs. I would recommend sending it back for a replacement. I sit about 2.5 feet back from my monitor.

I'm definately seeing the "screen door" effect. I see it any time there is high contrast. Black text on white background is unbearable. I get headaches and my eyes start hurting. I'd stare at my previous CRT for 12 hours straight without eye fatigue, so it's not me! The whole screen seems to be shimmering and my eyes can't focus on it. If I switch to dark pages (like this forum), I barely notice it.

I've got Rev A01, manufactured in March.

My friend bought the same monitor on the same day and it also exhibits the problem, though to a slightly less extent.

So I don't know if exchanging this monitor will solve my problem? Backlighting is pretty bad, but it doesn't bother me as much as this shimmering/screen door. I'm considering re-selling the monitor because of the headaches.

I use the following web page (lots of black text on a white background) to test the problem:
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/architecting_our_profession.php

JonDo[H] said:
Current 2005FPW owners...

Do many off you have a weird screendoor/"mesh" effect. A friend of mine recently bought one of these - it looks great, nice, sharp, colourful etc. However, when playing World of Warcraft, if you look closely at the screen whilst moving, you can see quite a prevalent "mesh" effect; it's a bit like a net with tiny holes has been stretched across the screen. As soon as you stop moving, the effect disappears. It's also noticeable in Half Life 2: bright, vivid colours really make it stand out. I believe this might be known as the "screendoor" effect, but I've described it just in case it might be something else.

So does anybody else have this? Or does it sound like my mate has a dodgy screen? :confused:

Hmmm this is worrying. He's got a few days within which he can send it back. Can anybody else report their findings?

I just ordered my 2005 for 475(because of 40 dollar tax AYYY). I will give impressions/review in about a week when I have it and have tested it out.

I am trembling with excitement.
Hope no screendoor/deadpixels/backlight bleeding(yikes :( )

I cant believe how the 2005fpw came down to $345 for a short time today with some Dell coupons Before Dell pulled the coupons, Cant believe how LCD prices are falling. When just 4 months ago I paid $599.

Nascar24 said:
I cant believe how the 2005fpw came down to $345 for a short time today with some Dell coupons Before Dell pulled the coupons, Cant believe how LCD prices are falling. When just 4 months ago I paid $599.

Yea im PISSED I paid $506 for mine 2 months ago, but at least the coupon expired quick!

Hi all
I am a new member. but I have been reading this forum for quite sometime and decided to join it. I am looking to purchase one of these (2005fpw) bad boys.

I see on dell website that it is 486 and free shipping. seems like a pretty good deal. How long do you think that price will last.

I need to wait for my next paycheck to buy it :D

Regards

julyccc said:
Hi all
I am a new member. but I have been reading this forum for quite sometime and decided to join it. I am looking to purchase one of these (2005fpw) bad boys.

I see on dell website that it is 486 and free shipping. seems like a pretty good deal. How long do you think that price will last.

Regards

They have deals just about every week.

usually when i try watching a dvd on this screen, the movie stretches to fit the whole screen. but once in awhile it doesnt stretch all the way and is surrounded by letterbox on all four sides. any ideas as to why this is happening or how to fix it? thanks....

julyccc said:
Hi all

Regards

It was $359 yesterday, and I just paid around $500 for it 3 weeks ago.

Dell 2005FPW
($749 - 40% off Coupon 9LRWGD0NFZD9B?
$65 off $500 Code: BPTQ95NDT9020R
=$384.40 shipped
Then subtract Dell Prefered Account discount.

I think these codes expired yesterday.

Does anyone know of a carrying strap or something of that sort for this monitor. Ive looked around for one, but i have yet to find one that looks like it would fit.

dvst8 said:
It was $359 yesterday, and I just paid around $500 for it 3 weeks ago.

Dell 2005FPW
($749 - 40% off Coupon 9LRWGD0NFZD9B?
$65 off $500 Code: BPTQ95NDT9020R
=$384.40 shipped
Then subtract Dell Prefered Account discount.

I think these codes expired yesterday.

i have no money now. can't wait for next pay period

:(

I got one for $395 tax tag and title. Just checked and it said its in transit. Wish I had seen the $345 deal. Oh well...

My 2005fpw is coming tomorrow, and I am worried that my x700pro wont be able to run at 1650*1080, because Ive been messing around with the display options, and looking at all possible resolutions, it doesnt show that one. Does anyone else have this problem? I have cat 5.4, so I dont think it should be a driver issue, but any advice from people(as I am sure that other people out there have 2005 and ATI cards) would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

stelleg151 said:
My 2005fpw is coming tomorrow, and I am worried that my x700pro wont be able to run at 1650*1080, because Ive been messing around with the display options, and looking at all possible resolutions, it doesnt show that one. Does anyone else have this problem? I have cat 5.4, so I dont think it should be a driver issue, but any advice from people(as I am sure that other people out there have 2005 and ATI cards) would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
umm, you should be fine

I have a 9800Pro running one of my 2005FPWs and a 9550 running the other one

don't worry be happy

The x700 pro will work just fine. I have the x600 pro and it works great.
Dell includes a cd with the 2005fpw that adds the 1680x1050 resolution to windows.

got one questions for you owners.

can anyone meassure the height of it for me? with the bezel and everything. On the dell site it tells you the width which is 18.6" but the height they give includes the stand. I just need the height of the actually monitor bezel to bezel.

Becuase I'm running all the wires inside the wall and already got the wall mount and need the exact messurements to center it perfectly. thanks :D

ReconSniper said:
I just wanted to say that I bought one and figured I would add my name to the list

can you please meassure the hieght? bezel to bezel? pretty please!

thanks. :)

No dead pixels.. woohoo. this thing dwarfs my old 15". I'm still going to buy the 2405FPW later this year.(my kid gets my hand me downs ;) ) But for now this will do.

Back