Deciding between 3080 and 3090, help me out

Best option for 165hz 1440p

• Total voters

Recipe7

Limp Gawd
Hey yall.

I managed to sell my blocked evga 2080ti xc2 for a whopping 1100USD about a month ago to get ready for Ampere. When NVIDIA dropped the news on 09/01 I was full blown on 3090, considering I made a load on my 2080ti sale.

The past day I've been looking at the prices in my face and the disparity between 699/1499USD is growing on me. I'm now torn between the 3080 and 3090. Help me decide. Here are my points of interest:

- I am gaming on a 27 inch 1440p 165hz G-Sync ASUS Rog monitor
- I don't play often, but if I do, Modern Warfare on max settings (which net me a stable 120-30 fps or so), and I will be playing Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings. Still trying to finish Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 on the side.
- My ultimate goal is to sit on 165 hz in ALL GAMES on 1440p
- I don't plan on a 4k monitor SOON, however I may jump on one if there is a 30 inch 144hz 1ms 4k monitor in the future, maybe 2 years or so. Might get the top end 4000 series at that point I guess.

I suppose the deciding factor is the 1440p so I won't necessarily need the 3090, but I need 165hz down the line. Based on this info, am I best served on the 3080 rather than an overkill of 3090? Will the 3080 give me my coveted 165fps in 1440p?

After all this, I know I know, let's wait for the benchmarks and reviews. I still want to prepare myself and get off this 50/50 decision and lean towards either the 80 or 90.

Last edited:
For 1440p I don't see a reason to go 3090, personally. Double the price for...what?

3080 is supposed to do well in 4K anyway so it should be good if you decide to jump to that.

The difference between a 3090 and 3080 will probably be a hair over 15% at best and that's going to be the absolute best case scenario at 4K maxed. At 1440p you probably won't even realize half the difference in 99.9% of games so I certainly would not spend well over twice the money for essentially no noticeable gain.

3080 no question. You seem to be the type that prefers ultra settings over getting 165 fps and you won't be able to tell the difference between 130 fps and 165fps.

For 1440p I don't see a reason to go 3090, personally. Double the price for...what?

3080 is supposed to do well in 4K anyway so it should be good if you decide to jump to that.
The difference between a 3090 and 3080 will probably be a hair over 15% at best and that's going to be the absolute best case scenario at 4K maxed. At 1440p you probably won't even realize half the difference in 99.9% of games so I certainly would not spend well over twice the money for essentially no noticeable gain.
3080 no question. You seem to be the type that prefers ultra settings over getting 165 fps and you won't be able to tell the difference between 130 fps and 165fps.
Just wait for official benchmarks :)

I appreciate these replies. Definitely leaning towards the 3080 at this point. At this point, it's a matter of choosing the right card for the reference pcb so I can get a block asap.

I appreciate these replies. Definitely leaning towards the 3080 at this point. At this point, it's a matter of choosing the right card for the reference pcb so I can get a block asap.

From what people are saying, the FE is not a "reference" PCB this time around, so you might look at going with an AIB card.

From what people are saying, the FE is not a "reference" PCB this time around, so you might look at going with an AIB card.

yes, I’m aware of that. That’s the reason why I’m trying to figure out if I should go with the FE PCB and wait for a block that may come later or go with the AIB PCB and get a block sooner. My goal is to block the card so I don’t need any special fans or whatnot. I want the cheapest card to block, which would be the 699 FE. I have a discount at a local retailer that I will use which will take care of taxes for the FE. It would also be interesting to see how the new fan setup will work before I tear it down to block it.

MSI Armor gpu was the 1080ti to block or aio bracket.
They didn't do a 2080ti armor that I'm aware of.
Wait for independent reviews to see who built the best pcb without going Kingpin price, and any gotchas dealing with removing the stock cooler.

I thought about going with a 3090, but I am thinking a 3080. I game at 3440 x 1440 and my current 2080 Ti does the job well so I'm thinking the 3090 may be a bit overkill for me. I would move the 2080 Ti over to my media PC which would utilize the 3090 better since it's 4K, but I don't use that PC for gaming as much. If I'm able to preorder a FE card I may do that this time around.

Wait for reviews. However, I suspect for 1440p 144Hz gaming the 3080 is probably good enough. The 3090 will likely get you 20 more performance for a 100% price increase + the hassle of the extra power draw and cooling.

Wait for reviews. However, I suspect for 1440p 144Hz gaming the 3080 is probably good enough. The 3090 will likely get you 20 more performance for a 100% price increase + the hassle of the extra power draw and cooling.

It's only 30W from 3080 to 3090 (320 vs 350).

I am in a similar situation but I game at 4K, not 1440p.

My view is that the 3090 does not worth the price for ~20% or additional performance unless you play at 8K (which is BTW the audience targeted by NVIDIA's marketing material)... 24GB of VRAM is overkill for 4K and 1440, which means that you would pay for hardware that you do not use.

If patience is an option, you could do like me and wait for the 3080 Ti or equivalent ... Given the substantial price gap between the 3080 and 3090, it is almost certain that NVIDIA will eventually release something in this bracket which will provide much better performance/bucks than the 3090.

Will we see 3080 vs 3090 benchmarks before the cards release? I'd like to make an educated purchase but so far we have no performance numbers at all. It would suck to drop a fortune on the 3090 only to find out it performs 10% better.

Wait for benchmarks. There have no performance numbers other than slides. So, I would wait before deciding your next purchase.

But does waiting for benchmarks mean waiting for the cards to release? My concern is that all of these cards are going to be sold out within an hour, and who knows when they'll be back in stock in this new world.

Will the NDA lift on the 14th include the 3090 as well as the 3080? That will definitely help myself along with countless others make a decision.

all you saying to wait... you do realize it'll be a hot ticket when it comes out right? like you won't have the luxury of waiting and then carefully selecting the one you want

all you saying to wait... you do realize it'll be a hot ticket when it comes out right? like you won't have the luxury of waiting and then carefully selecting the one you want

Thats why from what I understand, Benchmarks will be before the release.

Pure gaming? 3080.

Need those Cuda cores for ML? Do you generate income off your GPU? No. 3080.

Or wait for AMD Big Navi with a “leaked” release date of Mar 21. Though I think their other cards are releasing Oct/Nov.

Pure gaming? 3080.

Need those Cuda cores for ML? Do you generate income off your GPU? No. 3080.

Or wait for AMD Big Navi with a “leaked” release date of Mar 21. Though I think their other cards are releasing Oct/Nov.

March 21? Linkage on that ? thnx.

Actually stuck on believing $1100 for a used 2080ti this late in the cycle. But. Whatever I guess. Go for 3090 because... It's best.

3080 all the way, it should be plenty fast enough. Pocket the extra $800, save it for a 4080 or whatever beats the 3090 down the road, sell your 3080, and still be money ahead with.

I'll be going for a 3090 when i can. No big hurry to get a 3090 since the 2080Ti plays everything fine atm, so can wait till i can get the version of the card i want. (As for why, it's because i can... ;))

I'm torn on this issue as well. My monitor is 3840x1600 @144Hz. I really wish there was a 3080Ti with more memory, but I don't want to wait 6 months to upgrade. I imagine the 3080 would do the job, but I also don't have much issue spending the money for the 3090. I guess we'll see when the benchmarks are officially released.

If you have the money, get the 3090 and don't look back. The 3080 is just going to end up being the middle of the pack once 3080 Super/Ti/Whatever is released and 3090 will continue sitting at the top.

And never hurts to futureproof a little? (Well, at least for a few years at least...lol)

And never hurts to futureproof a little? (Well, at least for a few years at least...lol)
800 bucks for what will essentially end up giving practically zero performance increase in most cases at only 1440p would be asinine. Even the 3080 is going to be noticebly held back from it's full potential in most games at 1440p even with the fastest CPUs out there. There is a reason Nvidia is only showing 4K benchmarks for a card like the 3080. Remember even the slower 2080 Ti lost 10% of its performance gain over the 2080 at only 1440p compared to 4K even with an overclocked 9900k.

800 bucks for what will essentially end up giving practically zero performance increase in most cases at only 1440p would be asinine. Even the 3080 is going to be noticebly held back from it's full potential in most games at 1440p even with the fastest CPUs out there. There is a reason and Nvidia is only showing 4K benchmarks for a card like the 3080. Remember even the slower 2080 Ti lost 10% of its performance gain over the 2080 at only 1440p compared to 4K even with an overclocked 9900k.

SMDH

Just wait until Monday.
jayztwocamaros spiked like 2mil views in 24hrs of him just fondling a 3080, talking about an evga 12pin cable, playing with a box, stroking the cooler.

Future proofing by buying 1tier of gpu more than you need.
Ask the 2080ti owners what they think of future proofing.

Selecting a gpu tier when we don’t know how that gpu runs in various games, settings, how it does or doesn’t certain cores or frequency for a given game at specific graphics setting at given resolution and refresh rate........just slap 800hp and a Dodge logo on the side and dummies will buy it blind.

Some aib card should have 1970 Mopar rgb default colors and add “Hell30x0” to the name.

Just wait until Monday.
jayztwocamaros spiked like 2mil views in 24hrs of him just fondling a 3080, talking about an evga 12pin cable, playing with a box, stroking the cooler.

Future proofing by buying 1tier of gpu more than you need.
Ask the 2080ti owners what they think of future proofing.

Selecting a gpu tier when we don’t know how that gpu runs in various games, settings, how it does or doesn’t certain cores or frequency for a given game at specific graphics setting at given resolution and refresh rate........just slap 800hp and a Dodge logo on the side and dummies will buy it blind.

Some aib card should have 1970 Mopar rgb default colors and add “Hell30x0” to the name.

WTF?

Wtf what?
Cod he's short 20-30 fps
Witcher he's short 40-60fps
Tomb Raider he's short 80-100fps

Cyberpunk we don't know.

I'm thinking a 3090 rtx off won't get his panel saturated.

Going by the combined #s Nvidia put out he's still not there in at least 1 game.

Real #s come out Monday, hopefully.

Last edited:
Wtf what?
Cod he's short 20-30 fps
Witcher he's short 40-60fps
Tomb Raider he's short 80-100fps

Cyberpunk we don't know.

I'm thinking a 3090 rtx off won't get his panel saturated.

Going by the combined #s Nvidia out out he's still not there in at least 1 game.

Real #s come out Monday, hopefully.
Wednesday, now. We basically have 24 hours to disseminate the reviews. Well, I'll have a few months to go over the reviews, but that's mostly because I'm not looking to buy soon.

Wednesday, now. We basically have 24 hours to disseminate the reviews. Well, I'll have a few months to go over the reviews, but that's mostly because I'm not looking to buy soon.

I don't think any 30x0 is going to get his monitor saturated in all the games OP listed.

Back