Deciding between 3080 and 3090, help me out

Best option for 165hz 1440p

• Total voters
all you saying to wait... you do realize it'll be a hot ticket when it comes out right? like you won't have the luxury of waiting and then carefully selecting the one you want

Sure you will, you might have to wait until cards are back in stock but you still have that luxury. You make it sound like once they’re OOS you’ve missed your chance permanently.

If money is little to no concern to you then go 3090. Otherwise stick with the 3080 or wait for the 3080ti like me. The value is not there for 3090. Sure if it was twice as fast then it would be worth it. Not more then twice the price for maybe 20% more performance.

I'm torn on this issue as well. My monitor is 3840x1600 @144Hz. I really wish there was a 3080Ti with more memory, but I don't want to wait 6 months to upgrade. I imagine the 3080 would do the job, but I also don't have much issue spending the money for the 3090. I guess we'll see when the benchmarks are officially released.
I'm at 2560x1440@144Hz, and I'm tossing coins for all of them.

I think I might just grab a 3070 with whatever cooler looks decent, then flip it when Nvidia releases whatever is going to slot between the 3080 and 3090.

Unless I grab a monitor like yours or that 48CX, then... I really don't know. The 3090 really doesn't seem like it's worth it, even though I do a bit of video editing that might make use of the extra VRAM, it's not something I do professionally, so it's a hard cost to swallow.
800 bucks for what will essentially end up giving practically zero performance increase in most cases at only 1440p would be asinine. Even the 3080 is going to be noticebly held back from it's full potential in most games at 1440p even with the fastest CPUs out there. There is a reason Nvidia is only showing 4K benchmarks for a card like the 3080. Remember even the slower 2080 Ti lost 10% of its performance gain over the 2080 at only 1440p compared to 4K even with an overclocked 9900k.
I think I have to agree when it comes to raster-only performance. With RT it might well make a difference at 1440p.

I average about 2-3 years between replacing GPU's so i figured that buying a 3090 would be worth it to me. For 2 years it averages about $60 or so a month for the 3090, and i spend more than that on ordering out for a week or two and the occasional item i want but shouldn't get. :whistle: As someone said, go with what you can afford and want. (But to be fair, i'd wait for the reviews before doing anything so you can make an informed decision which is what i'm going to do before i buy anything)
As for being in stock, i'll try and get one as soon as i can once i see the benchmarks and reviews, but it's not something i have to hurry on if i can't find one early.

You make it sound like once they’re OOS you’ve missed your chance permanently.

I think people are worried about the supply chain because of covid. I have no idea if it will cause a video card shortage, but it has certainly caused a shortage of other hardware (e.g. PSUs).

For 2 years it averages about $60 or so a month for the 3090, and i spend more than that on ordering out for a week or two and the occasional item i want but shouldn't get.

Wow that’s cheap. It’s almost $60 each time I order out.

The 3090 is terrible value for gaming but in absolute terms it’s very cheap compared to all the other things that inhale cash.

IF you have to ASK....3080...simple as that.
People anno 2020 are weird.

Back