Dead Space remake (2023)

Apparently, a number of characters, including major names like Nicole and Mercer, and even minor side characters like Jacob Temple and Elizabeth Cross, have had their roles significantly expanded...according to Dead Space “realization director” Joel MacMillan some of these characters will have full-on sidequests devoted to them, which will give you new insight into the destruction of the Ishimura...

https://www.ea.com/en-ca/games/dead-space/dead-space/news/inside-dead-space-5-story-matters

Part of the appeal of the original was the mystery, and letting your mind put the pieces together, I don't want the story handed to me. We'll see how it goes though.

Part of the appeal of the original was the mystery, and letting your mind put the pieces together, I don't want the story handed to me. We'll see how it goes though.

Being alone for most of the game added to it. If you're spending a lot of time talking to other people it kind of kills the loneliness and isolation that makes the horror genre scary. If there is too much talking it becomes more about the jump scares and less about the mood.

I'm not a fan of the $60 price but I'm thinking about pre-ordering this not only for the game itself but for the free copy of Dead Space 2...I have the physical copy of the game but I stored it away in a box and need to find it...I have DS1 on Steam and DS3 on Origin

if I find my physical copy will the activation key work on Steam/Origin?

Being alone for most of the game added to it. If you're spending a lot of time talking to other people it kind of kills the loneliness and isolation that makes the horror genre scary. If there is too much talking it becomes more about the jump scares and less about the mood.
I agree with you but after playing the newer DS games and then Callisto, the counterpoint is that having a silent protagonist really just doesn't make much sense. It's just not realistic for some crazy shit to go down right in front of Isaac's eyes, then Kendra or Matthius immediately come across the radio saying "Oh shite, that just happened, I need you to get to Engineering immediately or we're all fucked!" and then he just...doesn't say anything at all? Ever? Or react to any emergency or foreboding event in any way, whether it be physically or vocally?

That being said, it didn't bother me at all on my first playthrough but after playing other games with voiced protags I can see why most choose to go that route. There's little doubt the original Dead Space developers were going for the sense of isolation that you mentioned, and it worked IMO.

Official System requirements...ray-tracing confirmed!

https://twitter.com/deadspace/status/1613990599895711746?cxt=HHwWhIDUmcf5heYsAAAA

Console players have the option to choose between 2 graphics modes:

Quality: 30fps at 4K (UHD) resolution with ray-tracing
Performance: 60fps with 2K (QHD) with no ray-tracing

MINIMUM PC SPECS

Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x, Core i5 8600
Graphics: AMD RX 5700, GTX 1070
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Direct X: Version 12
Storage: 50 GB available space

RECOMMENDED PC SPECS

Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x, Core i5 11600K
Graphics: Radeaon RX 6700 XT, Geforce RTX 2070

I agree with you but after playing the newer DS games and then Callisto, the counterpoint is that having a silent protagonist really just doesn't make much sense. It's just not realistic for some crazy shit to go down right in front of Isaac's eyes, then Kendra or Matthius immediately come across the radio saying "Oh shite, that just happened, I need you to get to Engineering immediately or we're all fucked!" and then he just...doesn't say anything at all? Ever? Or react to any emergency or foreboding event in any way, whether it be physically or vocally?

That being said, it didn't bother me at all on my first playthrough but after playing other games with voiced protags I can see why most choose to go that route. There's little doubt the original Dead Space developers were going for the sense of isolation that you mentioned, and it worked IMO.

Having a voiced protagonist isn't a problem. The problem might be an excessive amount of side quests. It also may kill the urgency and survival aspect. Kind of breaks the mood if you're picking up side quests when you should be focusing on escaping the deathtrap that is the space ship.

Seems like they will only add a few of them, but we'll have to see how they handle it.

I wish they confirmed what RT features will be on PC- I'm guessing shadows and maybe reflections

since this is using the latest version of the Frostbite engine hopefully there won't be any shader compilation stutter...good to see this only supports PC and next-gen consoles...we need to leave last-gen behind to really experience a leap in graphical quality...2023 is starting out on the right foot with next-gen only titles Forspoken and Dead Space

Atomic Heart would have really benefited from this as well

Even a facepalm for some of the "for fucks sake, another thing broke?!?" would fit in.

Having a voiced protagonist isn't a problem. The problem might be an excessive amount of side quests. It also may kill the urgency and survival aspect. Kind of breaks the mood if you're picking up side quests when you should be focusing on escaping the deathtrap that is the space ship.

Seems like they will only add a few of them, but we'll have to see how they handle it.
Yup. Saving someone or helping them get to the new location they're at later on makes sense. Collecting 15 whatever heads... would not. All depends on how it's handled.

Gotcha…I completely misinterpreted that part of your post.

Oh, I agree. Side quests are often a fun way to add content/playtime, but yeah, can feel out of place if not handled well.

I won't be Day 1 purchasing this (I refuse to do that after Fallout 76/Cyberpunk)

- I AM very excited for this release but await [H]member impressions along with at least one patch after launch..

Official System requirements...ray-tracing confirmed!

https://twitter.com/deadspace/status/1613990599895711746?cxt=HHwWhIDUmcf5heYsAAAA

Console players have the option to choose between 2 graphics modes:

Quality: 30fps at 4K (UHD) resolution with ray-tracing
Performance: 60fps with 2K (QHD) with no ray-tracing

MINIMUM PC SPECS

Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x, Core i5 8600
Graphics: AMD RX 5700, GTX 1070

RECOMMENDED PC SPECS

Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x, Core i5 11600K
Graphics: Radeaon RX 6700 XT, Geforce RTX 2070
So i have an i5 6500, is this going to pull a Far Cry 5 thing where it won't let me play the game with this CPU? Lord I hope not!

So far with this CPU i've been able to run everything no issues really.

So i have an i5 6500, is this going to pull a Far Cry 5 thing where it won't let me play the game with this CPU? Lord I hope not!

games require a certain CPU instruction set but usually when people with older CPU's start raising a ruckus they provide a patch which enables support for older CPU's

4 cores and only 4 threads? Even 5 or 6 years ago that was not cutting it in some games. Why on earth did you pair a 2070 with that? If you cant afford a more modern CPU then you should probably stop buying modern games at release and save up.

Last edited:
4 cores and only 4 threads? Even 5 or 6 years ago that was not cutting it in some games. Why on earth did you pair a 2070 with that? If you cant afford a more modern CPU then you should probably stop buying modern games at release and save up.
I concur. Getting a cheap am4 board with a 5700x would be doable with the savings from holding off on 3 new games, and all of his pc use including gaming would benefit immensely.

EDIT: Fixed typo from phone.

Last edited:
until I upgraded to a 5800X in 2020 I was using my previous i7 980X 6-core CPU for 8+ years and upgrading my GPU every other generation...I'm glad I finally did a complete system upgrade as the CPU is becoming a lot more important nowadays as far as gaming performance...games like Spider-Man and upcoming UE5 games are heavily CPU dependent...even if you have the latest and greatest GPU, an older CPU will hold you back

I concur. Getting a cheap am4 board with a 5700x would be doavle with the savings from holding off on 3 new games, and all of his pc use including gaming would benefit immensely.
Alright Alright ya talked me into it...my next upgrade will be the CPU. Honestly, like I said, just haven't had issues yet with any games that i'm playing. My old eyes may not see the FPS's like the used to but RDR2 is running bettter when I upgrade from a 1060 to the 2060. (not a 2070, sorry that's a typo in sig..corrected). I'm sure it's a bottle neck, but pretty happy with this old a** rig.

Alright Alright ya talked me into it...my next upgrade will be the CPU. Honestly, like I said, just haven't had issues yet with any games that i'm playing. My old eyes may not see the FPS's like the used to but RDR2 is running bettter when I upgrade from a 1060 to the 2060. (not a 2070, sorry that's a typo in sig..corrected). I'm sure it's a bottle neck, but pretty happy with this old a** rig.
https://slickdeals.net/f/16374166-a...hread-am4-desktop-processor-190-free-shipping

That plus a motherboard will last you a loooooong time :).

I'd just upgrade your CPU to an i7-6700 / 6700K (someone is bound to be selling one in the FS section of the forums)

Just doubling your thread-count with an i7 will make a HUGE difference in your 1.0%/0.1% lows etc.

Otherwise - go with Goldentiger's recommendation.. Just be sure to buy a faster RAM kit (DDR4 3600 is considered ideal, but 3200 is fine - Ryzen LOVES fast RAM)

I concur. Getting a cheap am4 board with a 5700x would be doable with the savings from holding off on 3 new games, and all of his pc use including gaming would benefit immensely.

EDIT: Fixed typo from phone.

Ryzen 5700X is a good cheap upgrade for those on AM4. After selling my 3700X I think I am $60 or so into it. Not a bad side grade. Most games won't really see an improvement but a few do.

If he is on an entirely different platform I would just go with AMD's new stuff even if it costs more. I'd rather have the option to upgrade again 3-4 years down the line. The 7700 non-X is a good value and even comes with a decent free CPU cooler if he needs to use that temporarily.

reviews are pretty solid...the definitive version of the game...no real bugs or performance issues...it's getting 8/10 on the low end and 9+ from most sites...

Dead Space (Remake) Review

Rather than reinvent the wheel, Motive made Dead Space look nicer, play better, and preserved the core of the experience. Its new flourishes add to that enjoyment instead of subtracting. This remake respects and polishes up my memories of Isaac’s first encounter with the necromorphs without making me miss the original version. It also acts as the perfect entry point for newcomers since it feels on par with today’s titles. I hope this exceptional revision signals to EA that Dead Space has plenty of gas in the tank and becomes a harbinger for more horrifying stories in this universe...

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/dead-space-remake/to-remake-whole-again

Buy Dead Space Remake Review "Buy, Wait, Never Touch?"

Dead Space Remake Review

With its stunningly redesigned spaceship, smartly and subtly enhanced story, and spectacularly reimagined action scenes, Motive Studio has managed to successfully breathe new life into the seminal sci-fi horror universe of Dead Space...despite the fact I’ve returned to the 2008 original several times over the years and found it to hold up fairly well, my latest journey through the darkened hallways of the USG Ishimura still managed to consistently surprise me and pull me into Isaac’s plight far more than ever before, while still satisfying my desire to butcher undead astronauts with an enjoyable arsenal of wildly unsafe mining tools.

It’s clear that this superb Dead Space remake has been a labour of love for the team at Motive Studios, who’ve very carefully balanced innovation and renovation with preservation, and to their credit the end result is undoubtedly the definitive way to experience – or re-experience – one of the best survival horror shooters that Capcom never made...

Good news! Dat price tag, doe.

Sounds like a definite get for both existing Dead Space fans as well as anyone who missed out on the first game. I'll most likely pick this up the first time it goes on sale. I just can't do $60 for a remake. Unless it's System Shock 2 or NOLF, then maybe.

Following the disastrous launch of The Callisto Protocol, fans are now apprehensive about Dead Space suffering a similar fate, especially regarding the now-infamous shader stutter

Luckily, upon launching the game for the first time, you will be greeted by a message saying 'loading shaders'. That alone immediately signaled that Motive Studios did not make the same mistake as Striking Distance Studios. However, shader stutter is not the only form of stuttering. I would really love to say that Dead Space was completely free of stutters, but that's just not true

On my configuration (Intel i7 12700KF, RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), stutters happen on a fairly regular basis, even with DLSS 2/Super Resolution enabled. I've manually benchmarked (and captured with Shadowplay) a 14-minute-long gameplay session from the first Chapter with NVIDIA's FrameView software; as you can see from the table below, the average frame rate was very high at just over 144 FPS, but the game's minimum frame rate went as low as 15 frames per second...

https://wccftech.com/dead-space-pc-remake-port-is-middling-in-both-visuals-and-performance/

Good news! Dat price tag, doe.

Sounds like a definite get for both existing Dead Space fans as well as anyone who missed out on the first game. I'll most likely pick this up the first time it goes on sale. I just can't do $60 for a remake. Unless it's System Shock 2 or NOLF, then maybe.
You can get it for $40.

Can you EA Play this for 10 hours and finish the damn thing? Or do I need to EA Play Pro sub it?

Following the disastrous launch of The Callisto Protocol, fans are now apprehensive about Dead Space suffering a similar fate, especially regarding the now-infamous shader stutter

Luckily, upon launching the game for the first time, you will be greeted by a message saying 'loading shaders'. That alone immediately signaled that Motive Studios did not make the same mistake as Striking Distance Studios. However, shader stutter is not the only form of stuttering. I would really love to say that Dead Space was completely free of stutters, but that's just not true

On my configuration (Intel i7 12700KF, RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), stutters happen on a fairly regular basis, even with DLSS 2/Super Resolution enabled. I've manually benchmarked (and captured with Shadowplay) a 14-minute-long gameplay session from the first Chapter with NVIDIA's FrameView software; as you can see from the table below, the average frame rate was very high at just over 144 FPS, but the game's minimum frame rate went as low as 15 frames per second...

https://wccftech.com/dead-space-pc-remake-port-is-middling-in-both-visuals-and-performance/
Ram full?

reviews are pretty solid...the definitive version of the game...no real bugs or performance issues...it's getting 8/10 on the low end and 9+ from most sites...

Dead Space (Remake) Review

Rather than reinvent the wheel, Motive made Dead Space look nicer, play better, and preserved the core of the experience. Its new flourishes add to that enjoyment instead of subtracting. This remake respects and polishes up my memories of Isaac’s first encounter with the necromorphs without making me miss the original version. It also acts as the perfect entry point for newcomers since it feels on par with today’s titles. I hope this exceptional revision signals to EA that Dead Space has plenty of gas in the tank and becomes a harbinger for more horrifying stories in this universe...

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/dead-space-remake/to-remake-whole-again

Buy Dead Space Remake Review "Buy, Wait, Never Touch?"

Man that is good news. I have been really excited about this game since I first heard about it. The OG game is one of my all time favorites and it's the first game my little boy played with me. He'd sit in my lap while I played and was never scared lol....

I've got money in hand, bought a set of Arctis Nova Pros and Glorious Model O just for the occasion lol. It lands perfectly too because this is my weekend off.

This is the perfect game to show off our beautiful crt blacks! Dead Space and a 22in crt are a match made in heaven. :)
This honestly makes sense for a lot of survival horror games. I could imagine the new silent Hill remake will be great too.

The thing is that the "lowest" fps is kind of a dud point, as a save loads for example or an actual bit of loading somewhere in that 14 minute session, the first few frames may well have been 15fps, this is kinda normal for almost all games, which is why once in-game and all loaded you should reset the frame stats so it then actually reflects the gameplay, and doesn't factor in the initial load into the game.

You can test it on any game right now, load up RTSS and enable the frame stats benchmark graphs, you will see that the lowest fps is registered at something comically low just because of the above factors. But if you reset RTSS averages once loaded, the min fps is from then on "honest", until you next load something up again for those first couple of frames.

The review doesn't state their methodlogy from the quick skim I did unless I missed it, so I assume the 14 min session was from start to finish which would include the loading as per above and thus skew the final numbers. This is why I tend to ignore when reviews state these sorts of figures. I'm more interested in realtime frame time graphs for any given moment rather than accumulated averages.

They also say:
According to FrameView's data, the issue may lie with the utilization of the CPU rather than the GPU, with the latter fully busy at 95.34% usage while the CPU sat nearly idle at a mere 11.53%.
Does FrameView use the same CPU utilisation lookup as GeForce Experience? If so then the CPU use calculation is incorrect under Windows 11 22H2 and the beta version of RTSS instead needs to be used. For example displaying Nvidia GFE stats on my system running any game will show CPU usage at sub 15%, typically around 10-12% on a heavy game, less on others. Display RTSS at the exact same time and you will see 30-45% in a heavy game which is reflective of actual values.

Nvidia have not updated GFE in ages to actually pull the correct CPU usage info from the OS, so if they haven't done that to GFE, then I can't see why they would for FrameView either.

I'll be playing the game this evening anyway so will find out all this for myself and report back. Also a 12700KF but on a 3080 Ti FE with the new Dead Space optimised driver that came out yesterday.

Edit*
I've got an RTX 4080 and an i7 10700 and the game barely dipped under 100fps... The game seemed to run better when I had it in 4K ultrawide

Last edited:
Back