Dead Space remake (2023)

Isn't "The Callisto Protocol" basically a Dead Space remake? It looks just like DS with better graphics, even the main character moves the same, it's made by the same people who made DS.

Yes this is very much "2 volcano movies coming out in movie theaters at the same time"

Dead Space: Rewriting and Improving the Story of a Horror Classic

I don't like the idea of turning video logs into AR scenes. One of the things I really appreciated in the original was that gameplay wasn't interrupted by playing an audio or video log. Now it is, and I am going to be resentful for it. One of the worst aspects of The Callisto Protocol is you can't play audio logs and play the game at the same time.

I don't like the idea of the Church of Unitology being expressly discussed this early in the series. Part of the pull of the original game, for me, was the mystery and trying to figure out what is going on and having it spoon fed to you all the way up to the end.

I'm also not sure I like having free flight available in 0g environments. Part of the challenge in the original was jumping around to not only traverse the environment, but to dodge enemies. Without redesigning those areas for free flight means they made these areas trivial.

All-in-all, it feels like the team on the remake is treating the audience like idiots. This isn't helping the story in any way.
Isn't "The Callisto Protocol" basically a Dead Space remake? It looks just like DS with better graphics, even the main character moves the same, it's made by the same people who made DS.

I played all 3 DS games and the 2nd one was the best. The 1st one had mouse issues that made it lag like crazy and the 3rd one, well, that's when they jumped the shark, way too much focus on action instead of survivor horror. DS3 was one of the worst games I have ever played (besides Big Rigs) and it was a chore just finishing it to see how it ended.
The Callisto Protocol is not like Dead Space in any way.

If this was any other studio besides EA (Sports, it's in the game) it would be a FREE upgrade to those that already own the original game.

Instead, they are going to charge $59.99. Almost $60 for a downloadable game - so no manual, no box, no DVDs. You would think that since PC games don't have any of those items anymore AAA games would cost $39.99 or even $49.99 on release day.

If this was any other studio besides EA (Sports, it's in the game) it would be a FREE upgrade to those that already own the original game.

Instead, they are going to charge $59.99. Almost $60 for a downloadable game - so no manual, no box, no DVDs. You would think that since PC games don't have any of those items anymore AAA games would cost $39.99 or even $49.99 on release day.

It's a full remake. They started everything from scratch, including the assets, on a different engine. It's deserving of the full price.

I don't like the idea of turning video logs into AR scenes. One of the things I really appreciated in the original was that gameplay wasn't interrupted by playing an audio or video log. Now it is, and I am going to be resentful for it. One of the worst aspects of The Callisto Protocol is you can't play audio logs and play the game at the same time.

I don't like the idea of the Church of Unitology being expressly discussed this early in the series. Part of the pull of the original game, for me, was the mystery and trying to figure out what is going on and having it spoon fed to you all the way up to the end.

I agree about audio logs being only audio is a better gameplay mechanic, and hope they don't change the uncertainty that was so good in the first game, but if the church already exists someone know about the obelisk (imho/ymmv), so I'm just going to hope they don't screw up the story.

But I'm not sure it matters; I'm not paying full price to replay a game I'm satisfied to have finished.

I agree about audio logs being only audio is a better gameplay mechanic, and hope they don't change the uncertainty that was so good in the first game, but if the church already exists someone know about the obelisk (imho/ymmv), so I'm just going to hope they don't screw up the story.

But I'm not sure it matters; I'm not paying full price to replay a game I'm satisfied to have finished.
The church has existed for nearly 300 years in the lore, and they talk about it in the logs for the first game. The concept just wasn't fully developed until the second game. In the second game Isaac talks about how the church took his mother for all her worth, and that is why he hates the church. Since Isaac was originally a silent protagonist, we don't really know what his experience or opinions about the church are.

The basis of the original game is that the Aegis VII mining operation is illegal, and that it was initiated by church members to unearth the Marker and bring the truth about it to the people since Earth Gov did everything in their power to hide the original Marker on Earth. The church went to Aegis VII to fully uncover the Marker's secrets. All this is drip-fed through the logs in the first game.

What it looks like from that video is them slapping you in the face with all that through vocal narrative, which I think is the wrong way to go about it. They could have kept the same structure as the original game and just remake the second game to continue the narrative.

1670892633741.png

At least their trying??

Last edited:
It's a full remake. They started everything from scratch, including the assets, on a different engine. It's deserving of the full price.
agreed.. This isn't some crappy remake like The Last of Us..

everything I'm hearing about this remake sounds really impressive...this is the way you remake a game while remaining faithful to the original...

Dead Space: How a Single Scene Was Created

Well it's definately looking pretty impressive. $60 dollar impressive, nah, i can wait til it drops, but will be picking this up eventually. No need to mess too much with the story. Only gripe right now is not sure I like the new look of Isaac.....or his GF, looks a bit off.

How Dead Space Aims to Redefine Survival Horror

The developers of the Dead Space remake discuss the original game's impact on survival horror, and how new technology will redefine its scares for a new generation...one these new tools is the Intensity director which Dead Space technical director David Robillard claims will also be able to deliver “psychosis events”...while he doesn’t elaborate on what those are, throughout the Dead Space series characters suffer from “dementia” and disturbing visions brought on by the alien Markers that turn people into necromorphs, so psychosis events will likely be a play on that...

How Dead Space Aims to Redefine Survival Horror

The developers of the Dead Space remake discuss the original game's impact on survival horror, and how new technology will redefine its scares for a new generation...one these new tools is the Intensity director which Dead Space technical director David Robillard claims will also be able to deliver “psychosis events”...while he doesn’t elaborate on what those are, throughout the Dead Space series characters suffer from “dementia” and disturbing visions brought on by the alien Markers that turn people into necromorphs, so psychosis events will likely be a play on that...

Interesting that the initial concept was to make "Resident Evil 4 in space". That actually makes a lot of sense given the time..

I didn't know they took inspiration from Alien, Event Horizon, The Thing, etc... No freaking wonder I love the game so much.

From the trailer it seems they have changed the over the shoulder view from the previous games and given the player a wider fov? If that's the case I'm a happy bear! :)

From the trailer it seems they have changed the over the shoulder view from the previous games and given the player a wider fov? If that's the case I'm a happy bear! 

I wish they would have also enabled a 1st person option that would be terrifiying

:

Edit : More forum weirdness I see I've given up trying to fight against it I can't reply to somebody's message without it showing up in their message field

First person would be nauseatingly claustrophobic. I used to love first person games but now I find some of them almost unplayable.

Agreed! I actually played the original Dead Space 1 and 2 on a triple crt setup just so i could have the wider FOV. The fov in it's original state made playing it unbearable for me. I enjoyed the game much more with the wider aspect ratio. I understand why they did it but I could not play that game without blowing chunks! :)

The first time I played the original one right after it released was on a CRT and at 4:3 that was rough. I had a widescreen monitor but it was TN and was really driving me crazy so I kept going back to the CRT at that time.

The first time I played the original one right after it released was on a CRT and at 4:3 that was rough. I had a widescreen monitor but it was TN and was really driving me crazy so I kept going back to the CRT at that time.
I can't imagine trying to play such a dark game on a tn panel. Same thing with Doom 3 at the time. Games like DS and Doom were made for crt.

Last edited:
Day one buy for me along with Stalker 2. :)

For me as well. I got $70 in Steam gift cards for Christmas just waiting for launch day.

The 1st one will always be special to me. I'd played games similar to it before like Doom 3 but man this game took it to the next level. The sound effects and soundtrack alone were unlike anything I'd played til then.

For me as well. I got $70 in Steam gift cards for Christmas just waiting for launch day.

The 1st one will always be special to me. I'd played games similar to it before like Doom 3 but man this game took it to the next level. The sound effects and soundtrack alone were unlike anything I'd played til then.
Looking forward to donning the new headphones and turning off all the lights on this one!

Looking forward to donning the new headphones and turning off all the lights on this one!

Oh hell yes! I sprung for a set of Steelseries Arctis Nova Pros a couple weeks ago just for this game...well and COD too. Using Sonar's (Steelseries' software) spatial mode works superbly as it was designed for these cans. The directional cues are awesome in Call of Duty so I can't wait to hear them for Dead Space.

First person would be nauseatingly claustrophobic. I used to love first person games but now I find some of them almost unplayable.

claustrophobic f by you mean terrifying yes that's the idea, if you mean narrow then you just adjust the FOV slide

You seem to have trouble quoting there. And FOV cannot fix a super close first person view as all it does is distort the screen.

everything I'm reading about this sounds really good...a remake done right...besides the graphical improvements the gameplay changes like the Intensity Director also sound really nice

I'd played games similar to it before like Doom 3 but man this game took it to the next level. The sound effects and soundtrack alone were unlike anything I'd played til then.

I've never even touched these games, but I've played through Doom 3 many times and loved that game. All the Dead Space games came out during years when I was working long hours, and it has just donned on me that I completely missed them all lol. I guess I will make this remake my first Dead Space game. Going in blind 💀.

Some of the new design elements sound great, others not so great. Like all things, have to wait to see how the actual mash up, ends up in review times.

I can't imagine trying to play such a dark game on a tn panel. Same thing with Doom 3 at the time. Games like DS and Doom were made for crt.
I played the original on a 6-bit+FRC TN panel. It wasn't that bad. I think I've played Doom 3 on every type of display out there at this point.

I played the original on a 6-bit+FRC TN panel. It wasn't that bad. I think I've played Doom 3 on every type of display out there at this point.
I first played Doom 3 on a 1280x1024 @ 75Hz crt. I upgraded my whole pc and monitor to a 22" 1600x1200 Viewsonic @ 95Hz crt to play that game.
And like you I played it on many a monitor, especially when the BFG Edition came out.
DS1 was first played on a 21.5" 1680x1050 @ 60hz TN.

I first played Doom 3 on a 1280x1024 @ 75Hz crt. I upgraded my whole pc and monitor to a 22" 1600x1200 Viewsonic @ 95Hz crt to play that game.
And like you I played it on many a monitor, especially when the BFG Edition came out.
DS1 was first played on a 21.5" 1680x1050 @ 60hz TN.
Don't recall the exact model, but I had a 21" Sun Microsystems CRT that I initially played Doom 3 on at 1600x1200 75 Hz. The game was locked to 60 FPS when it first came out, and they disabled the unlocked FPS switch in a later patch after having been added in a prior patch for some reason. Personally, I had never had an issue using the '-1' option when it worked, so I don't know why they removed it. Dead Space starts to act weird at framerates above 90, so I just lock it to 60.

Don't recall the exact model, but I had a 21" Sun Microsystems CRT that I initially played Doom 3 on at 1600x1200 75 Hz. The game was locked to 60 FPS when it first came out, and they disabled the unlocked FPS switch in a later patch after having been added in a prior patch for some reason. Personally, I had never had an issue using the '-1' option when it worked, so I don't know why they removed it. Dead Space starts to act weird at framerates above 90, so I just lock it to 60.
I use to "force" the res to 1080p using -1, and it would cause all kinds of issues. One being that your toon's head would cock to the right every couple of seconds and it really fucked with me. But damn did it look good!

Unlocking the frame rate on DS1 would give me extreme audio lag and cause a lot of the prompts on say boxes and things to hover to the far right or not show up at all, especially on the inventory screen. Sort of like FO4 with the doors not opening after a console hack or lock picking being sped up 100% because of the physics being tied to the frame rate. Hence I left it alone after that.

John Carpenter lets it slip that he thinks a Dead Space movie is being worked on in an interview with Variety.

https://variety.com/2023/film/featu...view-director-halloween-the-thing-1235485167/

You’ve spoken recently about directing a “Dead Space” movie. Is there any movement on that?

No, no, no. I can’t believe how that spread. I’m a big video game fan, so I played all the games. I was down looking at the new digital cameras, the RED, and happened to mention to them that I would love to do a “Dead Space” film. That just went around, and everybody said, “Oh, when are you gonna do it?” I’m not gonna do it. I think they already have another director involved. And they haven’t asked me to do it. So until someone asks me, I wouldn’t do it. But there’s a new version of the “Dead Space” video game coming out in January, and I’m there.

John Carpenter lets it slip that he thinks a Dead Space movie is being worked on in an interview with Variety.

https://variety.com/2023/film/featu...view-director-halloween-the-thing-1235485167/

You’ve spoken recently about directing a “Dead Space” movie. Is there any movement on that?

No, no, no. I can’t believe how that spread. I’m a big video game fan, so I played all the games. I was down looking at the new digital cameras, the RED, and happened to mention to them that I would love to do a “Dead Space” film. That just went around, and everybody said, “Oh, when are you gonna do it?” I’m not gonna do it. I think they already have another director involved. And they haven’t asked me to do it. So until someone asks me, I wouldn’t do it. But there’s a new version of the “Dead Space” video game coming out in January, and I’m there.
Hopefully if they do make one, it's live action and better than Downfall and Aftermath were.

Back