*DEAD* eVGA GTX 780 Superclocked $360 at Amazon

I'm on with them right now and they are saying they won't do it :(.

Trying to get to a manager but it's not looking good.

update: yeah they were dicks about it.

Yeah, they rejected me as well. Tried to get them to honor the price on a like item and they said it was a massive fuck up and we all received $25 credits. Im sure the word is spreading by now lol.

They rejected me, saying that the two items look different.

Bummer :( Initially the CS rep I spoke to thought the other 780 models came with two cards, hence the price difference. Had to do some explaining that the specs were the same, she then passed it by the rest of her team and I got the deal.

It was funny watching the number of in stock 780 SC's drop from 15 to 1 in no time at all. Looks like some people won the customer service rep lottery.

Oh well! I rated my rep highly individually, but gave Amazon's policy on the matter one star. That'll show 'em!! :p

EDIT: Ok, maybe it did show them. I just got an email that they would honor the price difference. Now to see if they actually follow through on updating the order I just placed...

Last edited:
So after talking to a chat rep for a while and getting nowhere, I gave up. When I got the email to rate the experience, I rated the policy poorly, and they then offered to call me. I explained to the guy on the phone that I was not disappointed that my order got cancelled, I was disappointed in the way Amazon handled the situation. Stealth-cancelling orders without explanation or notice is not good customer service. The phone rep was shocked to see that no email had been sent, and said that was bad business on their part. The most interesting part was that he said it looks to have been cancelled for stock reasons, not a price mistake. He was then able to confirm that when I ordered, the item definitely showed that it had stock, so this was also another error on their part. To make up for it, he offered to substitute "the next step up" for the same price. I ended up with a EVGA GTX 780 Classified for $370 after taxes o_O

Holy.crap.

Last edited:
Damn.. jealous of all the Classified grabbers. I managed to get a 780SC for $290 after all the promotions they gave me. Would've rather a classified and SLI those bad boys.

I can't believe people are actually getting upset about not getting this. SMH...

I can't believe people are actually getting upset about not getting this. SMH...

I wasn't upset at all. Had they just sent an email that said, "sorry, price mistake that was too low to honor" I would have been perfectly cool with that. I contacted them to tell them that I was disappointed in the lack of communication. The online rep told me to check back in a few weeks when the product was in stock, and we could see about resolving the issue then. I told them that was also disappointing, was given $10, and closed the chat. I really didnt even press for a substitute or anything. I specifically told the phone rep that I was only disappointed in the way the cancellation went without even an email, and he offered the substitute to make up for it. Id have to be nuts to pass on the deal he was offering me there.

Yeah, not everyone but there have definitely been some people in here like, "Wtf Amazon, fuckers"...I mean, really?

I wasn't upset at all. Had they just sent an email that said, "sorry, price mistake that was too low to honor" I would have been perfectly cool with that. I contacted them to tell them that I was disappointed in the lack of communication. The online rep told me to check back in a few weeks when the product was in stock, and we could see about resolving the issue then. I told them that was also disappointing, was given $10, and closed the chat. I really didnt even press for a substitute or anything. I specifically told the phone rep that I was only disappointed in the way the cancellation went without even an email, and he offered the substitute to make up for it. Id have to be nuts to pass on the deal he was offering me there.

Same... I only contacted them once, mainly to get a status update on my order. I was concerned as it suddenly vanished from my account page with no notification whatsoever. I'm grateful they honored the deal but if the CS rep just told me it was a price mistake I would have accepted that and not kept pressing them. They actually told me the card I ordered was merely out of stock which is why I then asked if I could have them apply the price on a model that was in stock.

Amazon definitely needs to improve their communication when it comes to matters like this.

I was fine with a cancellation but once I heard people were getting price matches, you're damn right I was upset. If they're going to make an exception for one person they better do it for all.

Damn.. jealous of all the Classified grabbers. I managed to get a 780SC for $290 after all the promotions they gave me. Would've rather a classified and SLI those bad boys.

What's the difference between the classified and the sc version?

I was fine with a cancellation but once I heard people were getting price matches, you're damn right I was upset. If they're going to make an exception for one person they better do it for all.

I agree; I had dropped the issue until I found out people were getting substituted items. I'm not sure I'd push all the way for a Classified as that is substantially better than what was ordered, but I had no problem asking for the reference cooler 780 SC. (Which also happens to be identical to my current 780.) ;)

Still waiting for my price to be updated. Doing this via email is a bit slow.

What's the difference between the classified and the sc version?

Different style coolers, the SC is reference like the one on the Titan and blows air out the back.

I think SC is a better choice honestly if you plan on going SLI.

Different style coolers, the SC is reference like the one on the Titan and blows air out of back.

I think SC is a better choice honestly if you plan on going SLI.
they make SC in 3 different versions. ACX, 780 reference cooler, and the one here that is a custom blower that is pretty similar to the Titan/780 reference cooler.

I'm not sure I'd push all the way for a Classified as that is substantially better than what was ordered, but I had no problem asking for the reference cooler 780 SC. (Which also happens to be identical to my current 780.) ;)

Still waiting for my price to be updated. Doing this via email is a bit slow.

The only reason I even asked for the Classified was because the phone rep told me he'd like to offer me a "step up" from what I'd originally ordered. I didn't see any "SSC" models (do they even make that anymore?), so the step up from would have been the FTW model. As of last night, the Classified was only $5 more than the FTW, so I decided I wouldn't feel bad asking for the Classified for such a small price difference.

Edit: looks like the prices have changed a bit since last night. The FTW is now about $30 cheaper, so if given the same situation this morning, I definitely would have gone with that one.

Last edited:
Been completely shut down on trying to get a substitution so far... I'm frustrated primarily because they just cancelled it with no email originally, and most people here and on SD/other places are getting the cards. It seems Amazon's treatment here is extremely uneven.

Been completely shut down on trying to get a substitution so far... I'm frustrated primarily because they just cancelled it with no email originally, and most people here and on SD/other places are getting the cards. It seems Amazon's treatment here is extremely uneven.

Have you tried giving a poor rating to their policy and having them call you (via the feedback email they send after you speak to any rep)? The guy I talked to on the phone was 10000000x better than the online rep.

Despite agreeing to the price match in an email yesterday, they sent me another one after I placed the new order saying "oops" we can't actually do that.

I went ahead and had them call me this morning and was told that there was nothing they could do in regards to the "price match" (legally this actually makes sense, yay I learned something in law school), but that they were very sorry for making a promise they could not deliver.

So long story short, they gave me $125 in Amazon promo credit in addition to the $25 I already received. I again ordered an EVGA GTX 780 SC and the total came out to something like $388 (no tax in my state). I probably should have waited until the price came down, but EVGA lists the MSRP of that model at $539.99 and I want one that matches my current card.

So instead of the crappy cooler $360 card with no games I originally ordered, I got the reference cooler with three games for $388. Good enough.

Despite agreeing to the price match in an email yesterday, they sent me another one after I placed the new order saying "oops" we can't actually do that.

I went ahead and had them call me this morning and was told that there was nothing they could do in regards to the "price match" (legally this actually makes sense, yay I learned something in law school), but that they were very sorry for making a promise they could not deliver.

So long story short, they gave me $125 in Amazon promo credit in addition to the $25 I already received. I again ordered an EVGA GTX 780 SC and the total came out to something like $388 (no tax in my state). I probably should have waited until the price came down, but EVGA lists the MSRP of that model at $539.99 and I want one that matches my current card.

So instead of the crappy cooler $360 card with no games I originally ordered, I got the reference cooler with three games for $388. Good enough.

Browsing through the SD thread, it looks like you shouldn't use the term "price match" when you talk to them. Seems like everyone that does that gets stonewalled immediately. When they tell you it was cancelled due to a stock issue, politely mention that the item was clearly in stock when you ordered and you were,expecting delivery in a few weeks. The rep I spoke with was able to confirm that fact, and he immediately offered the substitute card after that. This was on the phone after having them call me via the feedback email.

Have you tried giving a poor rating to their policy and having them call you (via the feedback email they send after you speak to any rep)? The guy I talked to on the phone was 10000000x better than the online rep.

I tried via chat last night and then got them to call me through the support feedback today, even talked to a supervisor/'lead' and got shot down repeatedly. The original chat did yield a $30 credit and the 'lead' CSA did agree to make a note to allow me to repurchase at the $359.99 price if the original item does come back in stock. I set up an alert...

My advice to those who haven't contacted Amazon CS:
Call rather than chat.

Ask what happened to your order, and (when they tell you it was canceled) inquire as to why you did not receive a cancellation email. Do this to get them in the right frame of mind before ever mentioning a substitution.

Do not mention matching prices. I didn't, but the chat rep did, and as soon as he said it once they just repeated a mantra of "no price matching (except on TV's), cannot price match, cannot do anything with a different model." After hearing this repeated a good number of times by the different CSAs I settled for asking the 'lead' CSA to have a note made to allow reordering of the same model at the $359.99 price if it ever comes back in stock, to which he agreed.

Browsing through the SD thread, it looks like you shouldn't use the term "price match" when you talk to them. Seems like everyone that does that gets stonewalled immediately. When they tell you it was cancelled due to a stock issue, politely mention that the item was clearly in stock when you ordered and you were,expecting delivery in a few weeks. The rep I spoke with was able to confirm that fact, and he immediately offered the substitute card after that. This was on the phone after having them call me via the feedback email.

You're spot on in this regard. I'm not even sure how they managed to bring up the phrase "price match" in my conversation with them. Probably me not paying attention as I kept asking for a substitution. They also snuck in "pricing error" in the last email I received from them, despite that phrase never coming up in conversation.

I'm happy it worked out in the end for me, but I wish that everyone got the same treatment.

Sounds like you made out well enough in the end :) then. Glad to hear.

I wrote in the comments section and submitted it without hitting the "call me" button this morning. This afternoon I saw an email from Amazon apologizing for how the situation was handled and that they would make an exception for me as a strong customer, to place an order & give them the #, that they would then adjust it. So, I did and it's already been changed to the proper price :) Plus the gift card & credit I had been given came off it too! ended up with the FTW as that was the best match without taking a downgrade that I saw, without being a huge step up like the Classified would be.

As I said I wouldn't have even pushed it so much if they were consistently turning people down and only a few exceptions got made, but with so many people reporting they were taken care of I was quite dissatisfied and planning on cutting down my ordering amount with them, however they came through in the end and I'm not going to order any less than I would have otherwise now.

Sounds like you made out well enough in the end :) then. Glad to hear.

I wrote in the comments section and submitted it without hitting the "call me" button this morning. This afternoon I saw an email from Amazon apologizing for how the situation was handled and that they would make an exception for me as a strong customer, to place an order & give them the #, that they would then adjust it. So, I did and it's already been changed to the proper price :) Plus the gift card & credit I had been given came off it too!

That's exactly how mine was going as well. Didn't have them call me and wrote in the comment section, to which they replied with the special link to give them the new order number. They then, for whatever reason, changed their mind! Crazy how the exact process can turn out so differently depending on what rep you get!

Of course I wish it had worked like yours did since they would have saved me like 50 bucks and a long phone call. I'm just glad it's over. Now I can move on to kicking myself for not waiting on the 780 Ti launch.

Yup, basically I talked to a nice CSR guy for a good 30 minutes and promptly and politely shot down his $10 promo credit near the end when he told me that's all he could do. I asked that I talk to his supervisor which took roughly 45 minutes to connect me to. He was a very nice guy though, always giving me updates throughout the 45 minutes while I was waiting for a supervisor. When the supervisor finally came I didn't really have to explain to her much at all, she just read the chat and she told me go ahead and pick a related item to your card. So I ended up picking the reference evga gtx 780 card (not ACX or Classified) because I liked the titan style cooling and I didn't wanna push my luck since it is the cheapest version they have on amazon. After that she said just add it to cart, place the order and I'll change the price for you which she did. After my promotional credit from trade-ins and other misshaps I had with amazon prior to this, I pretty much walked out with a GTX 780 for roughly 87 bucks.

Politeness, persistence and sincerity will help you out when talking to amazon. I also don't want to sound rude or anything, but I feel like I get further with american CSR's versus the Indian ones since this was my 3rd attempt at talking to CSR Amazon chats.

heres a picture:
46pDU36.png

I also don't want to sound rude or anything, but I feel like I get further with american CSR's versus the Indian ones since this was my 3rd attempt at talking to CSR Amazon chats.

how do you choose which CS agent?...is there a way to get a person from the USA?...or do they always transfer you to a supervisor in the US?

how do you choose which CS agent?...is there a way to get a person from the USA?...or do they always transfer you to a supervisor in the US?

You don't choose it'll just connect you to someone random, I find that anytime past after maybe 3-4pm all the American CSR's are off duty and then the Indian CSR's take over. Everytime I've talked to CSR which was at roughly 7pm 5pm and 11pm It was usually some Indian dude (again not to be rude, but you can clearly tell from their names on chat). So try talking to them in the morning or noon roughly and you should be talking to american representatives. My CSR in this case was american and so was my supervisor (I'm assuming Nikki is an american name, but assumptions dont mean anything). Like I said this doesn't mean anything at all, this is just from my experience that's all.

Also to note this is the first time I've actually requested to talk to a supervisor in all 3 of my amazon chats so far, so I don't know if all supervisors are american or not as far as I can tell.

Now I can move on to kicking myself for not waiting on the 780 Ti launch.

Well, considering that will be at a $699 MSRP (which does include the 3 games too) from the rumors, getting a nice 780 (eVGA FTW ACX with 8+2 power phases) with the games for ~$325 taxed/shipped after credits and the substitution.... I'm not going to kick myself it at all. I'm hoping I can get around $75 total for the 3 games which looks likely through ebay or whatnot... and there's a $10 rebate :eek:

Just thought I'd mention that my substitute card shipped tonight. Looks like they are making good on their promise for those of us that got lucky.

I have yet to get any codes for the games, but I don't think I'm even going to bother pushing my luck anymore.

Edit: Got all 3 game codes this morning. Seriously, video card deal of the century for me.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention that my substitute card shipped tonight. Looks like they are making good on their promise for those of us that got lucky.

I have yet to get any codes for the games, but I don't think I'm even going to bother pushing my luck anymore.

I ordered early yesterday, shipped out an hour or two later. I received codes this morning, two separate emails. Uplay promo codes to buy ac4 and splinter cell, and steam key for Arkham.

I'm pumped, card is arriving tomorrow. I've always wanted a reference cooler 780. My case needs a blower and they look amazing. :D

I was able to get 2x EVGA GTX780 FTW cards for $360 each.

Mine was cancelled and I thought nothing of it, I didn't expect to get it and I wasn't going to harass some poor CSR.

Without contacting anyone, I got a $25 gift card for their error.

Hello,

We're contacting you about order __________________ for EVGA GeForce GTX780 Superclocked 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit Dual-Link DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Card (03G-P4-2785-KR). We recently learned that there was a pricing error. As a result, we have canceled your order. We’re very sorry about this.

While we’re unable to offer the item to you at the incorrect price, we’d like to provide you a $25 gift card to compensate for any inconvenience. This amount will be applied to your next eligible order automatically without entering a claim code. Amazon.com Gift Cards can be used to buy almost any item sold on Amazon.com.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Fine by me.

Just got the same email, I expect that's probably going to be the end of the substituted cards.

Curious to see if they'll make good on the over-the-phone verbal promise to let me re-purchase at the original price (if they ever get it in stock). Even if they don't I made out with $55 in Amazon credit, so freaking awesome deal!

Hopefully everyone that got a GTX 780 for $360 or less. They will let their prior card go at a real good price. That way everyone wins.

Whats a real good price on a 7970 Killer K. Do you want it?!?!?!?!

Had they just sent that email days ago, I would have been completely fine with it. Even without the $25.

I mean I got a written confirmation from 2 CSR's that if/when the card comes back in stock I will get it at the original listed price. If they don't honor that I might press the issue a bit, I understand they aren't obligated to but standing by a promise is an entirely different situation.

Back