Cyberpunk 2077

I am hoping a 7900xtx will run it well at 4k

I'm actually slightly considering getting a 4090...especially if the rumors of the next-gen Nvidia GPU's not arriving until 2025 are true...I could hold out until mid-2024 but 2025 is a long wait...then again $1700 for a GPU seems crazy

I'm in the same 'hope my 3080 can run it decently'. Can't see buying a 4x series, the actual upgrade is so small in most situations that it would have to come down in price fairly dramatically for me to be interested.

I'm in the same 'hope my 3080 can run it decently'. Can't see buying a 4x series, the actual upgrade is so small in most situations that it would have to come down in price fairly dramatically for me to be interested.

I game at 1440p so I'm hoping the 3080 can handle path tracing at around 45-50+ fps (DLSS Quality)

4090 is around double the speed of a 3080, and it has frame gen to take into account beyond that. It's even faster in raytracing. That's not my definition of a small upgrade ;). Personally I'm sticking with my 3080 until the 5xxx series.

I game at 1440p so I'm hoping the 3080 can handle path tracing at around 45-50+ fps (DLSS Quality)
Same.
4090 is around double the speed of a 3080, and it has frame gen to take into account beyond that. It's even faster in raytracing. That's not my definition of a small upgrade ;). Personally I'm sticking with my 3080 until the 5xxx series.
True, but 3080 to 4090 is a generation and a level upgrade. And would make the video card worth more than the rest of my entire setup (esp. after waterblock). I'm holding for the 5xxx.

Frame gen isn't even needed on the 4090. I get around 60-80 FPS at 4K with DLSS upscaling set to Quality and all the path tracing options turned up to their maximum settings. Without DLSS I get 30-40 FPS.

Frame gen isn't even needed on the 4090. I get around 60-80 FPS at 4K with DLSS upscaling set to Quality and all the path tracing options turned up to their maximum settings. Without DLSS I get 30-40 FPS.

This can't be true. Everything else maxed out too? People with a 4090 get 60-80FPS (in the city etc) fully maxed out with path tracing and DLSS quality + frame gen:

View: https://youtu.be/65Cs1HHUQ2U?t=232

Beware, that DLSS reverts back to auto if you enable/disable FG afaik.

PC Gamer: Phantom Liberty Review

Cyberpunk's first and only expansion is a tense spy thriller with some of the most grueling choices I've ever seen in an RPG...after a legendarily fraught launch and three years of rebuilding, Cyberpunk 2077 is finally the RPG its world and characters deserved, and Phantom Liberty is a fine last hurrah for a game that's taken CD Projekt so long to hone

I'm extremely pleased with Phantom Liberty⁠—CD Projekt can hang with the big dogs when it comes to cinematic storytelling, with a quality of writing and world building that I prefer to the likes of Sony's vaunted first party lineup

Now that 2.0 has fixed Cyberpunk's loot and progression woes, its biggest remaining issue to my eye is that there's no real call to explore or poke around its world outside explicit mission objectives...Night City just isn't tactile or inviting the way a good immersive sim or even the Elder Scrolls games manage to be⁠—no breaking into people's apartments and reading their diaries, you can only snoop in gig/mission-sanctioned areas...I think Dogtown's smaller, more manageable canvas could have been an opportunity to create something like that within Cyberpunk 2077...the visual feast of Night City has always clashed with how uninteractive its world is...

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty-review/

Depending how it look and run (Frame gen figure so one would need to try, the numbers not telling all the story), if RT Overdrive play well on a 4060 at 1080p and 4070 at 1440p, not a bad place to be at all.

Would it become the norm for the 5060, 5070 and the futures games they would like it I imagine, this being something that would be hard to reproduce now for other considering the level of involvement by Nvidia in this title, it need to get easier to do.

The game feed specular vector, normal map, surface roughness-emission, ray length map with the motion vector feeding ray reconstruction ML box, a imagine it require a lot of work to pull out that type of performance for a pathtracing game with such high vertical, high occlusion open world city with a lot of light and reflection that was zero made with RT in mind to make it easier (announced in 2012, all that work until 17/2018 must not even had it mind).

Going from not sure RT is relevant on the xx60 class, to full on way better looking pathtracing being relevant on the xx60 class combined with new console capability could be a required step for Nvidia plans.

I've tested Nvidia's latest ray tracing magic in Cyberpunk 2077 and it's a no-brainer

Called Ray Reconstruction, this new DLSS feature literally grounds everything in the game, and makes the previous Overdrive ray tracing mode look faintly ridiculous...and the best thing? It's actually a little lighter on your graphics card and isn't just restricted to the RTX 40-series either

When I talk about Ray Reconstruction really grounding everything in Cyberpunk 2077 I mean exactly that...even in the path traced glory of the Overdrive ray tracing mode, people and vehicles seem to glide over the ground, never really seeming to actually make contact with Night City itself...with Ray Reconstruction enabled, however, they're far more physically connected

The reflections and improved global illumination effects without the slightly sludgy denoisers give each person a definite point of contact with the gameworld...it's the same with vehicles, where, especially in motion, they're obviously there, not just floating across a painted floor without interacting with it

On Overdrive, with the path tracing tech demo at 4K, and with DLSS set to Quality and Frame Generation set on, I was getting 69 fps on average...but with Ray Reconstruction enabled that leapt up to 103 fps simply from ditching that denoising step...that makes Ray Reconstruction an absolute must for high-end GPUs running ray tracing...

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-2-0-nvidia-ray-reconstruction/

I have a RTX-4080 haven't updated my driver in a few months. I'm assuming there's a brand new driver specifically for this game being released or just released recently?

Can my rig run this game maxed out at 3440 X 1440 res on my OLED monitor?

i13900k
32GB DDR-5
RTX-4080
Solid State Drive

I have a RTX-4080 haven't updated my driver in a few months. I'm assuming there's a brand new driver specifically for this game being released or just released recently?

Can my rig run this game maxed out at 3440 X 1440 res on my OLED monitor?

i13900k
32GB DDR-5
RTX-4080
Solid State Drive
Unless you have problems I wouldn't bother. A while back I was later than usual in updating my driver and Diablo would give me a warning when I started it but it really didn't matter much.

PT was already available for the 3080 and frame rate is going down, not up with this patch and DLSS 3.5. Think I got 35fps or so with DLSS balanced at 1440p when I tried it. It will look nice with RT though, which is the point of DLSS 3.5 and it's improved ai based denoiser. Probably also some other improvements as well now that they can kind of "drop" old hardware as in the old consoles and stuff.

Phantom Liberty Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis Review

With DLSS enabled, in "Quality" mode, the RTX 4090 gets 47 FPS at 4K—much more playable...if you enable DLSS 3 Frame Generation on top of that, the FPS reaches a solid 73 FPS...without DLSS upscaling and just Frame Generation the FPS rate is 38 FPS at 4K, but the latency is too high to make it a good experience, you always need upscaling

the review embargo for DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction hasn't expired yet, we will follow up with a separate article very soon...

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...-liberty-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

1.png
2.png

Last edited:
On Overdrive, with the path tracing tech demo at 4K, and with DLSS set to Quality and Frame Generation set on, I was getting 69 fps on average...but with Ray Reconstruction enabled that leapt up to 103 fps simply from ditching that denoising step...that makes Ray Reconstruction an absolute must for high-end GPUs running ray tracing...
That's a huge difference and kinda makes me question the testing... I could absolutely see some positive difference with the denoising now being rolled into the upscaling step, but a 50% gain just from being able to skip NRD seems suspect. FWIW, benches of Cyb with Frame Generation have occasionally resulted in odd results because toggling FG automatically sets DLSS upscaling to "Auto" regardless of the previous scaling setting and if the reviewer misses that, it can throw off the comparison if they meant to have DLSS set differently- I've seen it happen before and I wonder if that's what's going on here. 50% gain just from combining the denoising and scaling just seems too much.

That's a huge difference and kinda makes me question the testing... I could absolutely see some positive difference with the denoising now being rolled into the upscaling step, but a 50% gain just from being able to skip NRD seems suspect. FWIW, benches of Cyb with Frame Generation have occasionally resulted in odd results because toggling FG automatically sets DLSS upscaling to "Auto" regardless of the previous scaling setting and if the reviewer misses that, it can throw off the comparison if they meant to have DLSS set differently- I've seen it happen before and I wonder if that's what's going on here. 50% gain just from combining the denoising and scaling just seems too much.

yeah something is off about those numbers...can't be a 30+ fps difference with just Ray Reconstruction enabled

TPU had to re-do all of their Ampere and Ada numbers after publishing, due to the Ampere numbers being incorrect for some uncommunicated reason. And the Ada numbers were originally posted with Frame Gen turned on.

So, its possible that their comments about using all of the features put together, including Ray Reconstruction, are skewed somehow.

That said, apparently actual review of Ray Reconstruction is still under embargo. So we will have to wait for more info on that. And Nvidia may potentially release a hotfix for it, as well.

I'm actually slightly considering getting a 4090...especially if the rumors of the next-gen Nvidia GPU's not arriving until 2025 are true...I could hold out until mid-2024 but 2025 is a long wait...then again $1700 for a GPU seems crazy
I'm in the same boat. I think the 40 series is shocking price to performance and my 3080 is weeping at the prospect of these new ray tracing updates. I just wish frame generation could be jury rigged into the 30 series somehow.

Not sure I could pony up for a 4090 but maybe a 4070 Ti if the price is right. Feels like it would be more of a side-grade rather than a generational leap though. 2025 for new cards is kinda depressing.

I'm in the same boat. I think the 40 series is shocking price to performance and my 3080 is weeping at the prospect of these new ray tracing updates. I just wish frame generation could be jury rigged into the 30 series somehow.

Not sure I could pony up for a 4090 but maybe a 4070 Ti if the price is right. Feels like it would be more of a side-grade rather than a generational leap though. 2025 for new cards is kinda depressing.
4070 ti is only 15-25 fps better than a 3080 at 1080p and 1440p, with and without ray tracing. At 4K its a wash. Some games the 3080 closes the gap more, because it has more bandwidth than the 4070 ti. Or if the game is a couple of years old, the 3080 has a more optimized driver profile.

yeah the 4070 Ti is definitely a side grade...pretty much a slightly better 3080 with Frame Generation...and at $800 the value is terrible...4070 Ti would make more sense if coming from a 2080

Cyberpunk with path tracing is really an outlier so I'm not sure it's worth buying a new GPU for that 1 game...I highly doubt anything is going to come close to that in terms of raw GPU power for another year or so

Phantom Liberty Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis Review

With DLSS enabled, in "Quality" mode, the RTX 4090 gets 47 FPS at 4K—much more playable...if you enable DLSS 3 Frame Generation on top of that, the FPS reaches a solid 73 FPS...without DLSS upscaling and just Frame Generation the FPS rate is 38 FPS at 4K, but the latency is too high to make it a good experience, you always need upscaling

the review embargo for DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction hasn't expired yet, we will follow up with a separate article very soon...

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...-liberty-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

unless I'm not reading it correctly, it looks like these benchmark numbers were captured without DLSS enabled, which is a strange way of benchmarking it

Last edited:
Back