• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crysis 2 leaked for PC

Forgot to tip my hat to the other folks that responded to my earlier post. You all made good points as well. :)
 
I wouldn't necessary agree with that. When the Doom 3 leak went live. I remember everybody that was a Doom fan had that on their hard drives. They did buy the game on release day.
I'm definitely happy that did leak — it gave us a peak at what Doom would have been if certain aspects hadn't changed during development, notably the loss of Trent Reznor. Ask Carmack how he feels about it and he'll tell you it was awful; ask us and it was amazing (and who among us didn't buy Doom 3 after what happened?)

These early leaks, to me, become historical artifacts. They give us a gimpse of what was at one day during development, but rarely give us anywhere near a full experience. People will have these files on their drives long after they've installed the full retail version for just that reason.

Crytek shouldn't be the least bit depressed about this.
 
From EA:

"Crytek has been alerted that an early incomplete, unfinished build of Crysis 2 has appeared on Torrent sites. Crytek and EA are deeply disappointed by the news. We encourage fans to support the game and the development team by waiting and purchasing the final, polished game on March 22. Crysis 2 is still in development and promises to be the ultimate action blockbuster as the series’ signature Nanosuit lets you be the weapon as you defend NYC from an alien invasion. Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community."

Looks like 'piracy' is to blame rather than their own internal security. Did someone sneak into their offices or break into their servers? I think not.
 
They could at least wait with that info post it so quickly, they know damn right the leak was internal not some pirate who hijacked a random computer in the devs offices.
 
I laugh when they talking about Piracy on this one...

This have nothing to do with Piracy they talking about... It's about how crappy their security systems are.

Blame Piracy? They should have blame themselves first...

Didn't they blame piracy when they sold millions of copy of Crysis?

I still remember how Epic blame UT3 failure on piracy... They sure know how to blame others than themselves... which is much more easier I suppose...
 
I consider this leak a generous demo. Whatever quantity of gameplay it provides shouldn't stop me from getting the retail version.
 
Just played through the first lvl.

All I have to say is.... AMAZING!

It was locked @ 60fps

for a DX9 only it looked fantastic i think. read earlier that its locked on medium settings?? not sure, but I was playing on "hardcore" graphics, from the options of gamer, advanced, and hardcore.

id post screens/movies, but i dont wanna break any rules. my two friends on this board will see it soon enough.
 
I consider this leak a generous demo. Whatever quantity of gameplay it provides shouldn't stop me from getting the retail version.

THIS!

and while I was probably on the fence about buying this game at all, just playing through the first level in this beta makes me a release day buyer.
 
Just played through the first lvl.

All I have to say is.... AMAZING!

It was locked @ 60fps

for a DX9 only it looked fantastic i think. read earlier that its locked on medium settings?? not sure, but I was playing on "hardcore" graphics, from the options of gamer, advanced, and hardcore.

id post screens/movies, but i dont wanna break any rules. my two friends on this board will see it soon enough.

yeah DX9 hardcore sets everything to medium except render quality.

see: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4656/crysis22011021214044551.png

With those settings it looks on par with the original at least. All very high should be insane.
 
IDK, I might DL it to try it out.

I'll still buy it... when it hits the $20 price point. This is no different than anything else, this is what I usually do. I still have a steady supply of games, I'm always just a year behind. As a side note, this also really helps with hardware costs, I can buy today's mid-grade hardware, and play games from last year on really high settings :)
 
No, people are acting like Crytek has done nothing but bitch and moan about piracy since Crysis released and for some reason are unhappy with over five million sales across two games, the first of which they barely had to put up any of their own money for. Crytek seems to believe consoles are some holy land of no piracy where every game sells like Call of Duty. They don't seem to care about the PC community anymore and if that is case they should just stop trying and go away. We don't need them or their bullshit attitude.

I have no problem with them changing the setting or even with them making a multiplatform game, some of my favorite games are multiplats. My problem is how they have been acting and treating PC gamers. Yes piracy is a problem, no Crysis would not have sold 200 million copies if not for piracy. It may have even sold less, especially due to how Crytek and all of their investors (EA, MS, Intel, Nvidia) were marketing the game prior to release. I'm hoping Crytek learned from Far Cry and Crysis and Crysis 2 doesn't go downhill after the first half, but I'm not buying it on release and I'm not paying $60 for it. Crytek's attitude has put me off greatly, I'll wait for a while and may I'll get it when its $10 or if its supposed to be really good I'll only wait until I can find it for $30. I don't feel they deserve anything more than that from me.

For a change, I agree 100% with Derangel.
 
That should look friggin amazing with everything cranked on dx11 with tesellation. :cool:

Im sure the frame hit will also be amazing. :eek::p


I get anywhere from 35-50fps at this setting.

everything maxed when it comes out and i think we're back to crysis 1

*edit*

perhaps i should list my REAL specs, not what sin my sig

i7920, 6gb, gtx570
 
Isn't posting that you've played the "beta" essentially an admission of piracy, which is worthy of post deleting and thread-locking? Or has the rule about piracy admission changed?
 
Isn't posting that you've played the "beta" essentially an admission of piracy, which is worthy of post deleting and thread-locking? Or has the rule about piracy admission changed?

From whats been stated before on the forum , any chatting about pirating anything can result in a ban.

Guess for this topic not so since everyone is chatting about it.
 
the people that admitted to playing the pirated version should rephrase their post and say that a 'friend' has played it :D
 
Looking at some of the screenshots, if that really is "medium" then I'm very impressed. Even if it is maxed and the files are lying by saying it's medium, its still looking pretty good.

If these pictures and performance figures we are hearing about are only counted as medium, then its gonna take some pretty high end hardware to play it maxed out.

Personally I was just hoping it'd look as good as the original Crysis (Warhead was a step down from the original, so I was hoping for better than Warhead). But these shots are pretty good...

http://www.gamersmint.com/crysis-2-worlds-first-pc-shots-will-blow-your-mind/

EDIT: Also, a comparison of the graphics settings...

http://pixelsmashers.com/?p=7642"

EDIT2: Looking at the comparison pics closely, its odd that "Hardcore" has different lamp posts to "Advanced" and "Gamer". Not just a different texture, but a different geometry.
 
Last edited:
the people that admitted to playing the pirated version should rephrase their post and say that a 'friend' has played it :D
And the friend's name is Gottfrid.

Crysis 1 graphics are still great IMO, and when I played that game, I didn't say to myself "ooh, if only the next version had better graphics."

What I said to myself was "wow, this ending really sucks, it feels like they gave up half way into the game, if only the next version had plot and variety of gameplay."
 
And the friend's name is Gottfrid.

Crysis 1 graphics are still great IMO, and when I played that game, I didn't say to myself "ooh, if only the next version had better graphics."

What I said to myself was "wow, this ending really sucks, it feels like they gave up half way into the game, if only the next version had plot and variety of gameplay."

Funny thing is, everyone cans Crysis for going linear half way through the game, personally I liked the fact it went linear. I was getting bored of the "open" environment. By half way through the game I'd already stealthed and ramboed my way through enough KPA checkpoints to get bored of it. Infact the first half of the game took me much longer to play than the 2nd half because I'd only play for a short while, get bored and come back later.

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer my games to have pacing, excitement and incentive for me to keep playing, something I dont get from the semi-linear-sandbox style of the first half of Crysis.
 
Isn't posting that you've played the "beta" essentially an admission of piracy, which is worthy of post deleting and thread-locking? Or has the rule about piracy admission changed?

Did you report the thread??? Go for it if you feel so offended. Or petition to become a mod yourself.

Either way, yea i downloaded and played a leaked copy of an incomplete game. It's not out, its not being sold. They have lost no money from me at this point. IF ANYTHING AT ALL, playing through the first 2 lvl's has made me a launch day buyer. This leaked copy is going to make alot of people buy it. Part of me believes this was done on purpose.

This leaked copy is in no way a substitute for the final game. As been pointed out the textures arent as high res, its locked at medium settings, locked at 60fps, only dx9, has goofy icons in the top left corner, an incomplete loading screen, and some other statistics constantly being displayed in the upper right corer taking up a good portion of screen real estate. *edit* also remapping keys does not work, no alt tabbing, and the game never closes properly.
 
Last edited:
Did you report the thread??? Go for it if you feel so offended. Or petition to become a mod yourself.

Either way, yea i downloaded and played a leaked copy of an incomplete game. It's not out, its not being sold. They have lost no money from me at this point. IF ANYTHING AT ALL, playing through the first 2 lvl's has made me a launch day buyer. This leaked copy is going to make alot of people buy it. Part of me believes this was done on purpose.

This leaked copy is in no way a substitute for the final game. As been pointed out the textures arent as high res, its locked at medium settings, locked at 60fps, only dx9, has goofy icons in the top left corner, an incomplete loading screen, and some other statistics constantly being displayed in the upper right corer taking up a good portion of screen real estate.

And yet, even with all those caveats, it's easily one of the best games, at any stage, I've ever seen.

Mighty Mouse (rig in my sig) is almost as bottom-end as x64 gets (there are notebooks that can outrun it) yet it can play the leak at 1280x720 (medium detail) in a frickin *window* at 20 fps. Caveats, bugs, and all.

Crysis: Warhead *wished* it looked this good.

Still, I've heard the pooh-poohing before - over Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty, in fact. (That game, while it was in the early beta stages, was roundly criticized by supposedly having unrealistic hardware requirements - unrealistically *low*, that is. Those same low hardware requirements turned out to be part of the attraction.)

Going lower-end no longer means sacrificing any gorgeousness graphically. SC2:WoL was the first major evidence of that, and it looks like Crysis 2 is about to put a serious exclamation point on it.

An honest-to-goodness middle-end PC should be enough to play C2 with most, if not all, of the eyecandy turned on, and at desktop resolution, no less. (By middle-end I'm talking first-generation i5 or equivalent, 8 GB of RAM, and AMD HD5750 or nV equivalent, and 7 x64. Bone stock. No fancy trickeration.) That couldn't have been said of even Crysis: Warhead, let alone the original Crysis. (In fact, it *still* can't be said of either today.)

That is what I think is *really* going to sting - a true sequel to Crysis that looks better, plays better, and actually requires less hardware than the original.
 
I consider this leak a generous demo. Whatever quantity of gameplay it provides shouldn't stop me from getting the retail version.

If anything, the leak will ENCOURAGE purchase of the retail version.

Why? Mostly because, crappy as the leak itself is, it is of better detail quality than Crysis itself was when it shipped. (Let's be honest - the original Crysis was a notorious system pig! It taxed both CPU and GPU at a horrendous pace, and has hung on in benchmark-land for precisely that reason.)

C2 (when finished) sets a new standard, but in the same way that SC2:WoL did - by being actually playable, at maximum or near-maximum LoD, on hardware that is affordable without going into near-hock.

C2 will also be (unless my finances change for the worse) a Launch Day purchase of mine (and for the PC) - something that hasn't been the case for a shooter since the original UT.

C2 shows that Crytek actually *gets it* in a way that few developers lately have, when it comes to product. It's about taking existing hardware, and maxing out what can be done with it (the development equivalent of doing more with less).

It also takes one of my pet peeves about multiplatform development and utterly stands it on its head. That particular peeve has been that multiplatform games have typically been defined by the platform with the *lowest* hardware requirements. With C2, that platform is the XB360. (Yes; there are PCs that are down there close to that, such as mine; however, that is the bottom-end of modern PCs for that reason.) C2 says that even bottom-end hardware can game, and look darn good doing it. (Yes; the high end will look better - not denying that in the least. However, the bottom end sucking considerably less is itself a major improvement.)

It also throws the door open for expansions. Does it ever. While it started out in New York City, what *else* was going on *elsewhere* while the events in NYC were taking place? (Washington, DC. Chicago, San Francisco. Moscow, London, Paris. Berlin. Warsaw. Seoul. Beijing. Tokyo. Baghdad. Teheran. Etc. Etc.)

The possibilities (thanks TO this leak) frankly boggle the mind.
 
I wouldn't necessary agree with that. When the Doom 3 leak went live. I remember everybody that was a Doom fan had that on their hard drives. They did buy the game on release day. But if people could get a taste of the game now they would. It's not that people who download this game have no intentions of buying it. I know plenty of people when I was going to the University who wouldn't pay a dime for a PC single player game because they could download it and play it for "Free". But mulitplayer games like WoW they would buy without a doubt.

I didn't buy D3 on release day - however, the leak had nothing to do with why. I *did* in fact buy the game within a week of release.

The reason I didn't buy D3 on release day was simple - I was still sorting out my build at that time hardware-wise. (Further, I had ogtten out of the habit of buying on release day.)

Crysis 2, on the other hand, I almost certainly *will* be buying on launch day (something I hadn't done for a shooter since the original UT), and this leak is largely why.
 
From what Ive read is that you an run the graphics on Hardcore. Its def not the final game its a pretty gimped version

Still, gimped as it is (which I am quite aware of, thank you very much), it still whacks most shooters out there quality-wise.

I knew the leak was gimped detail-wise. Fine. However, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, gimpiness and all, it still puts a beatdown on most other shooters from anyone else.

Also, by comparing the leak with later (more polished) code, the success of that code-polishing can be measured. If you want to find out how good a development house is, that's as close to before-and-after as it gets - and it's usually not quantifiable by outside independent measurement.

The moaning and gripage (by both Crytek and EA) is spin-control (and expected - who is going to own-up to having poor corporate security?). As bad as the leak was, that's far from the WORST leak to have hit a developer. (Microsoft had operating systems in development leak twice in three years - once from their own servers! Microsoft wasn't even slowed down any.)

Lastly, have the three previous major leaks (affecting id, Epic Games, and Valve), bitten *any* of these development houses to a great degree?
 
I really thought Crysis 2 was going to be a horrible port. I was wrong.

A friend let me play it and wow is all I have to say. Crysis 2 will finally dethrone Crysis as the best looking game ever made for PC, period. The fact the beta only renders in medium quality and looks better than most games out there just goes to show Crytek can work miracles and does what few other companies still have the balls left to do, create a PC game that ages VERY well and maxes out all current hardware. I fully expect Crysis 2 to bring my 480 SLI and 4Ghz i7 to it's knees and look mind blowing. The only game this year that will get close to this is Battlefield 3, IMO.

As for the game, it plays very well. Challenging, fun, creative, and the level designs are amazing. The scale of NYC is just incredible.

As for the leak...I have two possible theories. One, is a PC guy who's pissed at Crytek and decided to throw us the biggest bone ever, or the leak was intentional. The only thing that would suggest to me it wasn't intentional is the multilayer master key, but the fact they ANNOUNCED the leak was out there on the game's homepage and Twitter just seems wrong. Why tell people it's out there? All this leak did was make more people want to BUY the game, myself included.
 
Last edited:
Funny thing is, everyone cans Crysis for going linear half way through the game, personally I liked the fact it went linear. I was getting bored of the "open" environment. By half way through the game I'd already stealthed and ramboed my way through enough KPA checkpoints to get bored of it. Infact the first half of the game took me much longer to play than the 2nd half because I'd only play for a short while, get bored and come back later.

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer my games to have pacing, excitement and incentive for me to keep playing, something I dont get from the semi-linear-sandbox style of the first half of Crysis.

Sounds to me an on rails shooter (ie: COD and the like) is up your alley. I like both styles myself but prefer the open world sandbox variety personally.
 
I didn't buy D3 on release day - however, the leak had nothing to do with why. I *did* in fact buy the game within a week of release.

The reason I didn't buy D3 on release day was simple - I was still sorting out my build at that time hardware-wise. (Further, I had ogtten out of the habit of buying on release day.)

Crysis 2, on the other hand, I almost certainly *will* be buying on launch day (something I hadn't done for a shooter since the original UT), and this leak is largely why.

I bought Doom 3 even after playing the leak.

God that was a stupid decision.
 
Another take on this, beating a dead horse, but it will definitely get under the skin of PC gamers around here:

http://www.destructoid.com/and-you-wonder-why-developers-hate-pc-gamers--193957.phtml

Crysis 2 is released on March 22, but if you've got a little time and even less scruples, you can play it right now. With almost depressing inevitability, an entire developer build of the game has been leaked online, allowing PC gamers early, free access to Crytek's latest eye-shagger.

And this is why developers don't give a sh*t about PC gamers anymore, folks.

It's become increasingly hard to sit back and say that videogame piracy isn't as bad as people say when stuff like this happens. This past week, I suggested that software pirates are fine so long as they admit they're thieves and recognize the potential harm they're doing to the industry. The pirates in question got utterly offended, acting more outrageous than an innocent man would do if accused of a crime he didn't commit. Apparently, guilt makes you more indignant than innocence.

All I can think in response to that is ... how dare you act offended when you do stuff like this?

Anybody who says they've not downloaded something illegally is usually a liar. Most of you reading this have downloaded some songs, or a movie, before. Personally, I legally purchase Blu-rays in store and music via iTunes, but I cannot honestly say I have always done this. We've all helped ourselves to things we shouldn't, and we should have the integrity to admit it.

There is, however, one major difference between movies/music, and videogames. In the case of movies, most of a film's success rides on its box office performance. That's where you initially make your profit. In the case of music, the artists obtain very little money off their officially released tracks, instead making it back with live performances. In the case of videogames, their only source of monetary recuperation is that initial sale. Unlike movies and music, which have multiple avenues for profit, there is only one option for the game industry.

This is not to make the ripping off of movies and music morally superior. I'm not talking about the morality here. I'm talking about damage. Videogame piracy is potentially far more damaging than movie or music piracy, because it cuts into the only vein through which a game's cash flows. There are no concerts or theatrical releases for Crysis 2. Any potential merchandise has a niche audience at best, and most of that cash will go to the manufacturer.

The game industry is also a cutthroat, harsh business. If a game doesn't sell, it won't get a sequel, and the studio itself might be torn apart. Just looking at EA, we all saw what happened to Pandemic. They didn't perform in the sales department and were wiped out without question.

Your noble justifications are not fucking cutting it anymore. In my last rant about piracy, one person said they pirated "out of necessity" and seemed to get some people agreeing with him. Really? Necessity? It is necessary that you play a videogame? Since when was a luxury item like a videogame a necessity, to the point where you get to steal it? A fucking bit of bread for a dirt-poor family is a necessity, son. Not your stupid videogame.

It is not necessary. It is not noble, either. You're not fighting the good fight against DRM, because games will get ripped off regardless of the DRM put in. I hardly blame EA for its reliance on SecuROM in the past. I used to think very ill of EA for doing it, but how can I now? You people will clamor and claw at an early developer build of Crysis 2, just to get out of paying for it. I barely blame publishers using any kind of "Draconian" DRM they want anymore. The only thing pirates do is justify it.

2D Boy's World of Goo was released without DRM, and the creators said they trusted their audience. One of the two-man development team, Ron Carmel, noted afterwards that he was seeing multiple torrents with 500 seeders and 300 leechers, and added that the piracy rate was at about 90%. This was 2D Boy's reward for trusting gamers. This is what they got for making a game easy to obtain, but easy to steal. Really guys, fuck you for that.

Some believe they win the argument by changing the terminology. It's not theft, they'll argue, but copyright infringement. So? That's not better. Some countries consider it worse. The legal terminology for piracy differs from country to country anyway, and simply calling theft by another name doesn't stop it from being a shitty thing to do. Some believe that it's only stealing -- therefore only wrong -- if what has been stolen ceases to be used by the owner. Pirated games are copies and the owners still have the original, therefore it's not theft.

Bullshit. You can steal a person's ideas, you can plagiarize their writing or music. The originator still has access to the idea, but you still stole it.

I've seen some pirates attempt to justify their bullshit by likening it to the used game market. I'm a very vocal supporter of that market, and I find this retort so stupid that it barely warrants a response. However, since it invariably comes up, I'll explain that used games have already been sold, so the money has been made on the product. That's an early, major difference to piracy, which has no initial sale. Furthermore, GameStop notes that the trade-in credit of used games often goes directly back to the industry, as people trade old games in for brand new ones. I have done that for years, so really, used game trading is a recycling process. Piracy, obviously, is not.

Another popular response is, "I wasn't going to buy it anyway." Amazing, and a lie. If you weren't going to buy it, why the fuck are you playing it? If there was no illegal way to get it, and you wanted it bad enough, you'd have paid. You're just being a cheap bastard, and you're too spineless to admit it.

I know people who pirate the occasional game, as I'm sure most of us do. They're not inherently bad people. They're not evil master criminals. They are, however, the reason why the PC market is so easily disregarded by the majority of publishers. PC gamers sit back and complain about how Bulletstorm is only getting a console demo, or how a roleplaying game has been "dumbed down" to make it simple enough for a controller. Who can honestly blame the publisher, though? If I were EA, I would actually pull the PC version of Crysis 2 right now.

There's that old story about three people on a camping trip. They get lost, their food supply is dwindling. One camper decided it'll hurt nobody if he helps himself to a little extra. The second camper thinks the same. Likewise for the third. They end up with no food left because their individual acts of petty theft combined to create one large dent in the supply. The story has many variations, but the message is the same, and it is the perfect way of describing piracy. An individual pirate is not a bad thing. In fact, some groups argue that a little piracy is helpful to the market, thanks to word-of-mouth recommendations and simple free advertising. However, when those little grasping hands combine to form great big talons that are ripping huge chunks out of a videogame's potential for success, we have a problem.

I don't want to act morally superior to videogame pirates because I am not morally superior to them. However, they have nobody to blame but themselves for developers favoring consoles over PC. It's become increasingly hard for me to rail against DRM or even Sony's stupid Firmware updates, because shit like this keeps happening. Not only are pirates thieving games, they're helping themselves to leaked, incomplete builds that might not reflect the finished product, and thus they're distributing something that might make the game look worse than it is.

Sorry, but that's kind of pathetic. Sure, it's easy for a developer to blame piracy for poor sales, but do you know who made that an easy thing to do? The people who are out there pirating the games in the first place.

You might think that what you're doing is harmless. On an individual level, it is. But it's not just you doing it. There are heaps of you. You're doing harm to an industry you should be supporting if you want more good games, and there is literally no excuse for you. If you can't afford it, suck it up. There are lots of things most of us can't afford, and we don't go out stealing them. If you think DRM is bad, don't buy the game. Don't just fucking help yourself to it illegally, because all that does is qualify the DRM in the first place. Anything you can use to justify piracy is easily refuted because, guess what, piracy ain't bloody justifiable.

I've tried to argue in the corner of pirates before, but screw it. It's not a corner that deserves to be fought in. I would, in fact, encourage developers to ignore the PC market altogether now. Sorry, but why should anybody support the platform? Sure, there are paying customers, and it would suck for them, but what kind of businessman would open a store in a city where stores are robbed multiple times a day? An idiotic businessman.

Just have some Goddamn foresight for once. Look at what state the PC market is in, and look at where it could go, and recognize your part in it. The fact that some of you want this to happen to consoles as well is simply unbelievable. The PS3 now looks like it'll be going in the same direction as the PC, and it's somewhat disgusting.

Grow up and recognize what you're doing. If you're not going to stop, at least have the balls to admit that you're helping to make the games industry a shittier place.

[Addendum: Some people are attempting to justify PC piracy by saying it happens on consoles too. Yes, of course it does. But "Look over here, they're doing it too" isn't a fucking justification. Besides which, the level of piracy on the PC is famously more prevalent than on consoles. Even on the Wii, it's not quite the same, as the Wii's primary demographic is different, and it's a demographic that doesn't pirate anywhere near as much. It still takes a lot more effort to fuck with a console to make it play pirated games. Going back to the World of Goo example, 2D Boy recuperated many of its losses thanks to the WiiWare version, which was obviously a lot harder to steal. PC piracy is easier than console piracy, hence it is more prevalent. Of course, you know that, and you're hoping we don't.

You could argue a case for the PSP and DS and I wouldn't disagree with you. I am not saying, however, that piracy doesn't happen everywhere. This was a PC issue, however, and so I focused on PC piracy. If you want, I can dedicate another article to the DS, but I've addressed that in the past and don't feel I need to do it again just to make PC pirates feel better about themselves.

Furthermore, the fact that the build may have been leaked by an employee at EA or Crytek has nothing to do with anything. Doesn't mean you have to download it. I'd also simply lump that employee in with the pirates. That's obviously where his or her loyalties lie, so they're not really different. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who leaked it -- asshats are still downloading it, and will continue to do so, no matter where the files come from. If there wasn't an audience for it, nobody would have taken the risk in leaking it.

The twists and turns pirates are making to get out of a very simple request -- accept a little bit of responsibility -- is truly awe-inspiring.]

I do agree with the general gist of this although I do continue to laugh at this "PC is the wild west where all hell goes and the consoles are the land of safety, security, milk and honey and Shangri La" when that simply isn't true.



It shouldn't have been leaked. That's got to get traced back and reckoned with.

Unfortunately, OF COURSE people that were going to take it anyways were going to download it if it was out there. As usual, we have people openly bragging about it right in this thread and it's perfectly ok with everyone.


http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1585479

Meanwhile Killzone 3 on the PS3 was leaked and that's all good. Ne'er a peep about that. No biggie.
 
Last edited:
Killzone 3 got leaked? LOLWUT?

Man I wish I still had my rig to play this beast. Time to buy a new one :cool:
 
I feel all the more frustrated at the decline of PC gaming in favor of consoles, piracy on the PC playing a large factor in that, when I've bought countless number of games on Steam and physical copies and have a MASSIVE backlog to go through. Yet these pirates will ruin everything for me and guarantee that many games will never come to the PC but will go to the consoles without question.

If I was a pirate myself, I dare wouldn't complain out of fear of being labled insane. But as a very honest and legal customer and PC gamer, it just really irks me to see the greatest gaming platform of all time suffer like this when I do so much to support it as best as I can. :mad:
 
I expected the opposite? People here are defending the very company that blamed something that was not our fault that is now our fault?

8VYP


You see how Crytek and EA both feel it is the PC piracy's fault. It was released in house.

8VYR


8VYU


This last one is very interesting. They obviously can tell who leaked it, they obviously can tell what machine it came from. They know they screwed up. There own employee uploaded it to a torrent site. If you hold out a piece of candy, do you think every child would ignore it? Especially if your dangling candy that people have been wanting for years?

8VYZ
 
I largely agree with your comments, but there are a couple of things I take issue with.
1. You single out the PC and, to a lesser extent, the PS3. This makes NO sense. The Wii could possibly be the easiest game platform to pirate for. The 360 is no different, if you're willing to give up XBL. The PSP and DS are also both rampant with piracy, not to mention the iPhone. Acting like this is a demonstration of PC's unique problems is beyond the pale absurd.

2. Believe it or not, you're wrong when you say that "pirates would buy the game otherwise." Being a game journalist who follows this shit, you should know that this tidbit has been proved false even by prominent game developers. There are lost sales, which is why I largely agree with you, but they aren't even CLOSE to 1:1, especially when you consider lost sales at initial MSRP.

3. You basically act like the PC deserves this, when the actions of a few have caused this and when similar things happen on other platforms. Nothing justifies some of he excesses of DRM, as DRM doesn't stop piracy at all. I seriously doubt it's meant to stop piracy, even. It's just meant to provide more control over how you use their product, as well as reduce used game sales. Also, saying that the PC deserves to get skipped when the game will likely be pirated elsewhere is just being an asshole. Grow up and stop talking down on PC gaming.

4. PC gaming's main weaknesses are relative. They never sold as well as console games, and a lot of the whole "collapse" of PC gaming is a myth. The fact is plenty of games still make bank, despite the fact that many of these games are some of the most pirated games in the platform.


a commenter on his blog, nice
 
I'm very interested to learn how it happened as well. They really shouldn't just drop the blame on PC gamers as a whole before a proper inquiry has happened.
 
You have to love their blog post on the subject

Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community.

No, piracy continues to better the PC games community by adding transparency to the gaming platform and giving the gamers the power to see first hand the quality of the finished product before spending money on it. Because of this PC gaming has a sort of natural quality control built in, developers who try and beat the system just end up failing and then abandon the platform, which is fantastic because it generates a larger pool of potential revenue to entice other development studios in who are actually willing the make good games.

What piracy damages is greedy corporations who are not interested in building good games, only filling the pockets of their upper management and investors. Sorry, most PC gamers don't care about that, we care about quality games, we like quality games, we buy quality games.

If Crysis 2 is actually good, I'll buy it. It's that simple.
 
Last edited:
You have to love their blog post on the subject



No, piracy continues to better the PC environment by adding transparency to the gaming platform and giving the gamers the power to see first hand the quality of the finished product.

Because of this PC gaming has a sort of natural quality control built in, the moment developers sell out and start consolizing their game they will see a reduction is sales and with any luck they will abandon the platform entirely and make room for other budding developers to bring out games that people actually like.

/agree

how many games do you wish that you could have "tested" prior to spending $60 on what amounted to a "pile of crap"
 
Back
Top